PSVR Hype???

• @matt Most likely, I can see that this thing has potential and want to see how it works with the Pro.

• @TheMarcV I tried the occulus a while back... I just don't see much value in the idea of VR. The motion control aspect? Yeah, that has a direct effect on my interactions. The headset bit? No thanks. It's mostly a cosmetic thing like 3D tvs. The initial effect wears off fast.

• So looks like we're gonna try to have the baby today....no PSVR launch day for me!

I may try to order it if it's available online somewhere.

• @matt CONGRATS!!!!!!!

• @naltmank Thanks!!

• Just bought PSVR and it's great. Played DriveClub and a demo so far. Also did anyone remove the plastic film that's over the lens on the PSVR unit.

• Global Moderator

Get my PSVR tomorrow... I just can't wait! :D

• Hope everyone's enjoying their launch day! Looks like the demand has been low enough, I managed to get a launch bundle on Amazon. Should receive it this saturday. Excited that we should be settled in at home by then and I'm off for the next two weeks on daddy duty.

Sounds like the people that were interested in it are happy with their purchases. Can't wait to play Job Simulator and Driveclub and suit up as Batman. Oh and Rez sounds great too. I've had it for Dreamcast but never played it through its entirety. Hope they get some killer apps soon. It'd be cool if someone could pull off something along the lines of Wii Sports Boxing

• Global Moderator

Mine actually arrived today after all :O Turns out that my gf gets motion sick from it though.. will give it another try with her later, but thats kinda a bummer

• @Lotias What was the game that made her sick

• Global Moderator

@ib0show she played Drive Club and after like 15 min she said she felt sick. Then spent the evening on the sofa :(

• @Lotias download Allumette. It's a free 3D video, she'll love it! (It's listed under games on PSN by the way)

• Amazon kindly delivered my PSVR yesterday. I hadn't tried it, or any of the other VR options before hand I just knew I wanted to give it a go and I have to say, I'm hooked! Sorry for the long post, but had to talk about my experiences :smiley:

I tried Ocean Decent on PSVR Worlds first, mainly because I knew it was just a stationary experience but also because it was something that felt familiar having seen it in so many videos. Immediate thoughts were about the quality of the display, I wasn't too sure to start out with, but I think that's a lot to do with it being your first experience, you look at all the details because you have all those thoughts about "Have I set this up right", "Am I positioned right" "What is this even meant to look like", and yes it's not the sharpest image in the world, but I'll tell you, when those first fish swim up to you in the cage, and that sea turtle hangs just outside looking at you, all that goes away and in the PSVR, with your headphones on, you're just there. Watching the video clips on youtube just don't do it justice, it's something you simply have to try to appreciate.

After that first tentative step I threw myself fully into it with EVE: Valkyrie and yes, a couple of moments made the stomach go, but the feeling of being in a ship is amazing, when you enter the launch tube for the first time and the lights come up in the ship it just feels solid around you and the sense of scale is something again you can't appreciate until you play it. I sunk an hour or so into that and even though I generally don't go for multiplayer games, I loved it. Just make sure you look into those turns, it's something you don't have to do when you're playing on a TV but it really helps to combat any motion sickness in VR.

Finally, I had to fire up Batman and yes, people may call it a tech demo, but what a tech demo. I won't spoil anything but after the menu screen, where I spent longer than you'd think! the first scene was something I didn't expect as I hadn't watched any video playthroughs and for something so simple, it was again amazing to see....or be a part of!

So, should you buy it, if you can afford it yes. I don't feel that VR is just another add-on which will end up gathering dust, the experiences are just too vivid for that and if this is the start of the VR revolution, I can't wait to see where it goes! And now I've sat in the cockpit of a space ship, how can I go back to just looking at it on a screen.

Oh, and if anyone fancies teaming up for some EVE: Valkyrie, or anything else, I can't promise I'll be that good, but it would be cool to hang out with some fellow EZAs in VR. My PSN should be in my signature.

Now so long real world, I'm going back into the virtual one!

• Global Moderator

@Alex840 I will give that a try! some other people have said that some other VR game where they stack cubes or w/e have been a good experience and kept them from feeling too bad!

• @Lotias I think you're talking about Tumble VR. Download the Demo 'disc' from PSN and that'll give you a decent idea of what you're into.

• I'm going to wait to get PSVR until I get the PS4 Pro so I can enjoy it with increased graphical fidelity.
    By then there will also be some more substantial experiences out like REVII and Infinite Warfare.

Super excited, but not going to rush it.

• @petetropolis

My PSVR experience echoes yours. When I first put it on I had trouble getting it to feel "right". It felt like I was always just a minor adjustment away from making the screen completely crisp. Eventually I had to settle for what I could manage and load up a game. That game happened to be Driveclub VR. The SECOND after I had navigated the menus and was placed into the world, my issues with the screen were gone. For those who don't know, when you start Driveclub VR, you're not behind the wheels of a Ferrari, or watching cars drive around at 100+ MPH. You're just standing at the side of a race track. That alone blew my mind. I WAS standing at the side of that racetrack. For the first time in my life I had a presence in a digital world.

Arkham VR is probably my favorite title so far. It definitely helped that I didn't know much about it before going in. There's some real surprises in there.

Playstation Worlds hasn't been reviewing well but I feel it's possibly the best demonstration of VR for non-gamers. I let my mum "play" The Deep and she nearly fell out of her chair and yelled "Don't let me fall in!" with genuine fear when the shark attacked her. If Sony had packed this in with the headset then it could of had the potential to be the "Wii Sports" of PSVR.

The only time I felt any kind of sickness was when I played RIGS. there's a specific mech class that focuses on verticallity and has you jumping/hovering around the arenas constantly. I couldn't even complete that mech's training mode without feeling dizzy, and feeling extremely hot. Every other game (and even the rest of RIGS) has been fine though.

Overall I feel like Sony has nailed it. Having the cheapest headset while still having the tech be "good enough" was a real narrow sweet spot to hit but they've done it. I'm sure you could line up PSVR with Occulus and Vive and see all the ways it falls short, but 99% of people aren't going to be in that position. Most people are going to go to a friend's house, see that they have PSVR set up, try it out and be amazed by it. My only concern is that even though it is the cheapest headset, it's still a lot of money to spend. I made comparisons to the Wii earlier, the difference between that and PSVR is that that only cost $250 and included EVERYTHING you needed to play it. That's a much easier sell to a casual/non-gamer than "$399, but you'll also need to buy a PS4 if you don't have one, a camera, 2 Move controllers and some games"

• For people waiting for REVII, I would recommend buying the PSVR before the game comes out so you don't get motion sickness. The more you play the more you can play longer without getting sick.

• I finally got a chance to play it this morning! I had a great time. Better than when I demoed it in the store. The first time I tried it, I noticed it was pretty blurry. What I'm beginning to realize is that it is equally important to have the proper vertical positioning of the screen, not just front/back position. The lenses seem to have a relatively small sweet spot, and if you're eye isn't looking down the center of it, it will look blurry.

So my experience at home was much clearer in the store. Not necessarily tack sharp but still pretty good.

Tracking can be a bit of a problem and take you out of the immersion when you really get into it Bosman-style only to be interrupted by an error message due to loss of sight. I feel like the recommended camera positioning and camera aim is not optimal. I'm going to go with my gut and experiment, knowing where my hands and face will most likely fall during play. Hopefully it will be better.

Job Simulator is great fun, but $30 is a bit too much to ask. I may give in though because it is the most social game I can think of.

I played a bit of Batman and was very impressed, having read there's no real action in the game. I had some tracking issues, which I'll try to tinker with the camera and hopefully resolve them.

I have Driveclub VR but just tried the demo. I really liked it. I think the main problem, like I said before, is that the optical lens has a pretty small sweet spot. So if you use your peripheral vision, it gets blurrier the farther your eye strays from center. So I'll try it again knowing what I discovered and may have an even better experience than before. I was also super tired at the time caring for my newborn and setting everything up at 3am to try. So my eyes were a bit glazed over to begin with.

Update: Tried Driveclub VR demo again and am loving it. Getting used to checking my sides, looking into the turns, and checking my mirrors feels exhilarating. The framerate, for the demo at least, is solid and feels good. The reviews are accurate, the graphics are muddy. I think it's the result of trying to push the realistic vision of highly detailed textures and clashing with the technical limits of the lower resolution screen. If you can look past that, you're for good racing fun. First time I've played Driveclub. The handling reminds me of Forza Horizon.

Oh and moving the camera totally helps. I tried on top of the TV and it was only ok. You gotta go to the camera setup screen and understand the system can only see what the camera sees. I think I found my best setup is putting the camera on the ground and angled up so that it can capture my tallest reach. This allows me to go low and still reach high. Pretty much full reach. Main thing you gotta watch out for is getting Move controllers near your headset. it confuses the camera and the resulting loss of head tracking can be disorienting. This happened to me a lot playing the Job Simulator and trying to aim for the basketball hoop. I would prep my shot holding my Move controller near my face and then the vision just jumped and shook all around. That's a bit disorienting.

I'm gonna keep fine tuning my configuration. So far I'm slowly diving into each experience. It's so cool to have some many different experiences available from the get go. It's neat because each game just takes you somewhere completely different. Every little change in scenery is much more impactful. I haven't even done any space adventuring yet.

• Pro tip for people feeling a bit sick or with loved ones complaining of their stomach turning while playing: Ease into it. Start with some lighter games and experiences before throwing yourself into the more intense experiences.