PSVR Hype???

• @matt yep, we are bringing our episodic game The Gallery to PSVR (out on Vive, coming to Touch on the Rift too), just assessing the viability of porting and stuff :)

• @sblomkamp That sounds great! I look forward to checking it out.

So I moved the camera to the floor and that was no bueno. I had maximum, full range, camera detection, but a huge problem is if you cross the streams! I don't know if certain light conditions help, but I've had times where the system was extremely sensitive to confusion. Basically, if the Move controller gets between the direct line of sight between the camera and the headset, the camera would get confused and misinterpret it as a head motion, leading to an unintentional head movement, leading to nausea. I moved it to the top of my TV (eye level) this morning for daytime play and tried to replicate the problem, but couldn't. There was one time when all of the games would shake if the Move controller ever crossed that stream. Could've been a bug remedied by restart? I don't know.

Considering the play range for your arms take place mostly at eye level and below, I imagine placing the camera as high up as possible would be optimal for discerning light sources and having full vertical range. I will experiment with that and report back =P

I had my cousin and uncle test it. Both got sick on Driveclub VR. So far it's still my favorite experience. To be fair, my cousin doesn't have a driving license yet.

So far, I'm having a great time and still haven't tried all of the experiences I have available yet. It's amazing how drastically different each game feels. I was pleasantly surprised by the London Heist. A full length of that would be really cool.

• @matt I also got nauseous from the Drive Club demo. I don't really know what it was about the game, I never directly felt like I was getting dizzy going through turns or anything, I just noticed that I started feeling a little queasy after a few minutes. I wonder if it's something people can get used to over time.

Got to give a shout out to Until Dawn: Rush of Blood. That game is my favorite so far. It's got some of the wow factor that Batman has, while also showing how fun a VR "video game" can be. By that, I mean you're actively looking around, aiming, and shooting. Not to mention, it's frightening to see stuff coming at you trying to kill you in VR. VR could bring a nice revival of on-rails shooting games.

• @V8Dave @matt primary reason for nausea in VR is a thing called Vestibular Disconnect. Basically when what your brain is perceiving isn't matching up with what your inner ear is experiencing. A lot of early VR is experimental, so much so that even AAA devs are still learning along us indies (in some cases I'd say we've been problem solving in VR for longer). Things like hitting the right FPS and implementing better locomotion systems and so on, everyone's trying different shit. Games with cockpits are usually more palatable because your brain understands it is on some sort of vehicle, but as you've experienced with the Driveclub demo that's not always the case. that can then be up to imperfect tracking or refresh rate. As the PSVR is on the lower end of the spectrum in capabilities, you might find more of its games give that effect at first. Its absolutely something you can get acclimated to though.

It's still not acceptable in my opinion. Good design solves these issues, and as the tech evolves and designers grow in experience no one will have this problem :)

• @sblomkamp Gotcha thanks. It happened to me with Drive Club and the one game in PSVR Worlds where you run around in a mech and jump and shoot stuff. Seems like it's more likely to occur when you're actually moving your character with the controller as opposed to standing there and using the move controllers.

I felt like maybe the one thing that felt "off" with Drive Club was that the sense of speed was actually very slow. My Ferrari was going like 100 mph and I was sliding the tail out but looking out at the trees and stuff felt like I was puttering around in a go kart going 30 mph. So maybe the environment wasn't doing what I was expecting it to do.

• @V8Dave if youre interested heres my boss back in 2014 talking about these issues Youtube Video

and a more recent video about our solution for walking roomscale stuff https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwZt2jRE8PY

the whole topic is utterfly fascinating to me

• Hey, so can people with glasses use this? Anyone tried it to see if it works just as well?
    I'm interested in it, but I want to make sure my BF can use it as well, and he's basically blind without his glasses.

• @Inustar By all reports the PSVR is the only VR headset that's reasonably comfortable with glasses.

• @Inustar yep, i wear glasses in my vive with no problem. I havent played PSVR but ive put an offline headset on at work and its actually the most comfortable of the bunch (except for google daydream, apparently).

• @Inustar said in PSVR Hype???:

Hey, so can people with glasses use this? Anyone tried it to see if it works just as well?
    I'm interested in it, but I want to make sure my BF can use it as well, and he's basically blind without his glasses.

I get a lot more clarity from it with my glasses on and the PSVR fits perfectly around them.