PSVR Hype???

• @Lotias I think you're talking about Tumble VR. Download the Demo 'disc' from PSN and that'll give you a decent idea of what you're into.

• I'm going to wait to get PSVR until I get the PS4 Pro so I can enjoy it with increased graphical fidelity.
    By then there will also be some more substantial experiences out like REVII and Infinite Warfare.

Super excited, but not going to rush it.

• @petetropolis

My PSVR experience echoes yours. When I first put it on I had trouble getting it to feel "right". It felt like I was always just a minor adjustment away from making the screen completely crisp. Eventually I had to settle for what I could manage and load up a game. That game happened to be Driveclub VR. The SECOND after I had navigated the menus and was placed into the world, my issues with the screen were gone. For those who don't know, when you start Driveclub VR, you're not behind the wheels of a Ferrari, or watching cars drive around at 100+ MPH. You're just standing at the side of a race track. That alone blew my mind. I WAS standing at the side of that racetrack. For the first time in my life I had a presence in a digital world.

Arkham VR is probably my favorite title so far. It definitely helped that I didn't know much about it before going in. There's some real surprises in there.

Playstation Worlds hasn't been reviewing well but I feel it's possibly the best demonstration of VR for non-gamers. I let my mum "play" The Deep and she nearly fell out of her chair and yelled "Don't let me fall in!" with genuine fear when the shark attacked her. If Sony had packed this in with the headset then it could of had the potential to be the "Wii Sports" of PSVR.

The only time I felt any kind of sickness was when I played RIGS. there's a specific mech class that focuses on verticallity and has you jumping/hovering around the arenas constantly. I couldn't even complete that mech's training mode without feeling dizzy, and feeling extremely hot. Every other game (and even the rest of RIGS) has been fine though.

Overall I feel like Sony has nailed it. Having the cheapest headset while still having the tech be "good enough" was a real narrow sweet spot to hit but they've done it. I'm sure you could line up PSVR with Occulus and Vive and see all the ways it falls short, but 99% of people aren't going to be in that position. Most people are going to go to a friend's house, see that they have PSVR set up, try it out and be amazed by it. My only concern is that even though it is the cheapest headset, it's still a lot of money to spend. I made comparisons to the Wii earlier, the difference between that and PSVR is that that only cost $250 and included EVERYTHING you needed to play it. That's a much easier sell to a casual/non-gamer than "$399, but you'll also need to buy a PS4 if you don't have one, a camera, 2 Move controllers and some games"

• For people waiting for REVII, I would recommend buying the PSVR before the game comes out so you don't get motion sickness. The more you play the more you can play longer without getting sick.

• I finally got a chance to play it this morning! I had a great time. Better than when I demoed it in the store. The first time I tried it, I noticed it was pretty blurry. What I'm beginning to realize is that it is equally important to have the proper vertical positioning of the screen, not just front/back position. The lenses seem to have a relatively small sweet spot, and if you're eye isn't looking down the center of it, it will look blurry.

So my experience at home was much clearer in the store. Not necessarily tack sharp but still pretty good.

Tracking can be a bit of a problem and take you out of the immersion when you really get into it Bosman-style only to be interrupted by an error message due to loss of sight. I feel like the recommended camera positioning and camera aim is not optimal. I'm going to go with my gut and experiment, knowing where my hands and face will most likely fall during play. Hopefully it will be better.

Job Simulator is great fun, but $30 is a bit too much to ask. I may give in though because it is the most social game I can think of.

I played a bit of Batman and was very impressed, having read there's no real action in the game. I had some tracking issues, which I'll try to tinker with the camera and hopefully resolve them.

I have Driveclub VR but just tried the demo. I really liked it. I think the main problem, like I said before, is that the optical lens has a pretty small sweet spot. So if you use your peripheral vision, it gets blurrier the farther your eye strays from center. So I'll try it again knowing what I discovered and may have an even better experience than before. I was also super tired at the time caring for my newborn and setting everything up at 3am to try. So my eyes were a bit glazed over to begin with.

Update: Tried Driveclub VR demo again and am loving it. Getting used to checking my sides, looking into the turns, and checking my mirrors feels exhilarating. The framerate, for the demo at least, is solid and feels good. The reviews are accurate, the graphics are muddy. I think it's the result of trying to push the realistic vision of highly detailed textures and clashing with the technical limits of the lower resolution screen. If you can look past that, you're for good racing fun. First time I've played Driveclub. The handling reminds me of Forza Horizon.

Oh and moving the camera totally helps. I tried on top of the TV and it was only ok. You gotta go to the camera setup screen and understand the system can only see what the camera sees. I think I found my best setup is putting the camera on the ground and angled up so that it can capture my tallest reach. This allows me to go low and still reach high. Pretty much full reach. Main thing you gotta watch out for is getting Move controllers near your headset. it confuses the camera and the resulting loss of head tracking can be disorienting. This happened to me a lot playing the Job Simulator and trying to aim for the basketball hoop. I would prep my shot holding my Move controller near my face and then the vision just jumped and shook all around. That's a bit disorienting.

I'm gonna keep fine tuning my configuration. So far I'm slowly diving into each experience. It's so cool to have some many different experiences available from the get go. It's neat because each game just takes you somewhere completely different. Every little change in scenery is much more impactful. I haven't even done any space adventuring yet.

• Pro tip for people feeling a bit sick or with loved ones complaining of their stomach turning while playing: Ease into it. Start with some lighter games and experiences before throwing yourself into the more intense experiences.

• Global Moderator

@thenerdtheword Yeah I spent yesterday and today with my GF just playing some more chill standing still point games. She is really getting into now so thats really fun. Still think we will wait with the more action packed games. I Loved RIGS and EVE: Valkyre, even though that demo were waaaay too short.

• @Lotias That Eve Valkyrie demo was short but awesome.

• Global Moderator

@ib0show I totally agree! spinning around and shooting felt beyond epic

• I never had interest in it to be honest, I only bought one out of boredom this morning. Having now tried it though, I'm hooked. Absolutely love it.

• @Sheria that is a heck of an impulse purchase!

• I'm glad though. I just tried that Kitchen demo and ... OMG....

• @matt yep, we are bringing our episodic game The Gallery to PSVR (out on Vive, coming to Touch on the Rift too), just assessing the viability of porting and stuff :)

• @sblomkamp That sounds great! I look forward to checking it out.

So I moved the camera to the floor and that was no bueno. I had maximum, full range, camera detection, but a huge problem is if you cross the streams! I don't know if certain light conditions help, but I've had times where the system was extremely sensitive to confusion. Basically, if the Move controller gets between the direct line of sight between the camera and the headset, the camera would get confused and misinterpret it as a head motion, leading to an unintentional head movement, leading to nausea. I moved it to the top of my TV (eye level) this morning for daytime play and tried to replicate the problem, but couldn't. There was one time when all of the games would shake if the Move controller ever crossed that stream. Could've been a bug remedied by restart? I don't know.

Considering the play range for your arms take place mostly at eye level and below, I imagine placing the camera as high up as possible would be optimal for discerning light sources and having full vertical range. I will experiment with that and report back =P

I had my cousin and uncle test it. Both got sick on Driveclub VR. So far it's still my favorite experience. To be fair, my cousin doesn't have a driving license yet.

So far, I'm having a great time and still haven't tried all of the experiences I have available yet. It's amazing how drastically different each game feels. I was pleasantly surprised by the London Heist. A full length of that would be really cool.

• @matt I also got nauseous from the Drive Club demo. I don't really know what it was about the game, I never directly felt like I was getting dizzy going through turns or anything, I just noticed that I started feeling a little queasy after a few minutes. I wonder if it's something people can get used to over time.

Got to give a shout out to Until Dawn: Rush of Blood. That game is my favorite so far. It's got some of the wow factor that Batman has, while also showing how fun a VR "video game" can be. By that, I mean you're actively looking around, aiming, and shooting. Not to mention, it's frightening to see stuff coming at you trying to kill you in VR. VR could bring a nice revival of on-rails shooting games.

• @V8Dave @matt primary reason for nausea in VR is a thing called Vestibular Disconnect. Basically when what your brain is perceiving isn't matching up with what your inner ear is experiencing. A lot of early VR is experimental, so much so that even AAA devs are still learning along us indies (in some cases I'd say we've been problem solving in VR for longer). Things like hitting the right FPS and implementing better locomotion systems and so on, everyone's trying different shit. Games with cockpits are usually more palatable because your brain understands it is on some sort of vehicle, but as you've experienced with the Driveclub demo that's not always the case. that can then be up to imperfect tracking or refresh rate. As the PSVR is on the lower end of the spectrum in capabilities, you might find more of its games give that effect at first. Its absolutely something you can get acclimated to though.

It's still not acceptable in my opinion. Good design solves these issues, and as the tech evolves and designers grow in experience no one will have this problem :)

• @sblomkamp Gotcha thanks. It happened to me with Drive Club and the one game in PSVR Worlds where you run around in a mech and jump and shoot stuff. Seems like it's more likely to occur when you're actually moving your character with the controller as opposed to standing there and using the move controllers.

I felt like maybe the one thing that felt "off" with Drive Club was that the sense of speed was actually very slow. My Ferrari was going like 100 mph and I was sliding the tail out but looking out at the trees and stuff felt like I was puttering around in a go kart going 30 mph. So maybe the environment wasn't doing what I was expecting it to do.

• @V8Dave if youre interested heres my boss back in 2014 talking about these issues Youtube Video

and a more recent video about our solution for walking roomscale stuff https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwZt2jRE8PY

the whole topic is utterfly fascinating to me

• Hey, so can people with glasses use this? Anyone tried it to see if it works just as well?
    I'm interested in it, but I want to make sure my BF can use it as well, and he's basically blind without his glasses.

• @Inustar By all reports the PSVR is the only VR headset that's reasonably comfortable with glasses.