What are you reading right now?

• In the spirit of the "What are you ..." threads, here's one for books/comics/manga.

What's everyone reading right now?

I'm half-way through The Wheel of Osheim by Mark Lawrence, the third book in his Red Queen's War series. Very very cool writer, in the vein of Joe Abercrombie, but less known (for now).

I'm also plowing through the Culture series by Iain M. Banks, I read up to Excession, so I'm planning to continue with Inversions that after finishing up The Wheel of Osheim.

Manga-wise, I've recently been buying a ton of seinen form Amazon France (they localize everything !). Reading through Prophecy and Lesson of the Evil.
    Both are really cool, I'm enjoying them a lot.

• I'm currently reading The Abyss Beyond Dreams by Peter F. Hamilton. It's the sixth book in his Commonwealth sci-fi series which are some of the best galaxy-spanning epics I've ever found.

• I'm currently half-way through Shift by Hugh Howey, the second book in the Wool series. I really enjoyed the first book in the series and I'm really loving this one.

• I'm currently reading A Darker Shade of Magic (Shades of Magic, #1) by V.E. Schwab for a book club I'm in. It basically has all the elements I love in a story (regency setting - mad King George of England and magic). Although I've been slightly sidetracked with all the comics coming out from DC because of Rebirth. Reading Batman - Superman at the moment as well as catching up with other comic book series.

I'm slowly making my way through Queen of Fire (Raven's Shadow, #3) by Anthony Ryan. This series started out SO well but it's 3 months since I've started the final book in this trilogy and I just can't seem to find any interest in the characters anymore. But I have to finish it at least for some kind of closure!

• @David-Cordova-Bulens Hugh Howey is great! Be sure to check out his other books too if you like Wool and the sequels. I specifically recommend Sand and Half-Way Home. :D

@Hesperus said in What are you reading right now?:

I'm currently reading A Darker Shade of Magic (Shades of Magic, #1) by V.E. Schwab for a book club I'm in. It basically has all the elements I love in a story (regency setting - mad King George of England and magic). Although I've been slightly sidetracked with all the comics coming out from DC because of Rebirth. Reading Batman - Superman at the moment as well as catching up with other comic book series.

I'm slowly making my way through Queen of Fire (Raven's Shadow, #3) by Anthony Ryan. This series started out SO well but it's 3 months since I've started the final book in this trilogy and I just can't seem to find any interest in the characters anymore. But I have to finish it at least for some kind of closure!

A Darker Shade of Magic sounds great! I have it on my shelf but never really got around to it. Might have to move it up my list, the setting seems like something I'd love, I'm getting Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell vibes.

• @crimilde Thanks, I just discovered Hugh Howey a couple of months ago with wool and I'll be sure to check those out once I finish Shift.

A book I read just before starting Wool was The Orenda by Joseph Boyden. It's basically a story of the meeting between north american indians and the first europeans that settled in north america. I'm just mentioning it because I really loved it and Highly recomend it anyone.

• @crimilde said in What are you reading right now?:

A Darker Shade of Magic sounds great! I have it on my shelf but never really got around to it. Might have to move it up my list, the setting seems like something I'd love, I'm getting Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell vibes.

On the subject of Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell, have you see the TV adaptation by the bbc (or was it ITV)? I sadly couldn't finish that book because of the writing but the TV adaptation was done so well! Would be interesting to know if it matches up with the plot of the book or if there were many changes.

• @Hesperus It was BBC yeah. I only watched the first 4 episodes as of yet, but so far it's a pretty flawless adaptation.
    Good thing that you mentioned it, I should definitely go back and finish it. :D

• I am currently making my way through the Isaac Asimov complete series. I am just starting The Empire series, but I started out of order with The Foundation series and then The Robots series. Asimov's work is still unparalleled in sci-fi.

• admin

@Brad-Grenz said in What are you reading right now?:

I'm currently reading The Abyss Beyond Dreams by Peter F. Hamilton. It's the sixth book in his Commonwealth sci-fi series which are some of the best galaxy-spanning epics I've ever found.

The Abyss stuff isn't as good as the original Prime books, but man, I just love that world. If I could selectively erase stuff in my memory, it'd be those books and I'd just read em over and over.

For anyone that doens't know what we're talking about, read Pandora's Star by Peter F. Hamilton and thank us later.

• @UltimateBrent said in What are you reading right now?:

The Abyss stuff isn't as good as the original Prime books, but man, I just love that world. If I could selectively erase stuff in my memory, it'd be those books and I'd just read em over and over.

For anyone that doens't know what we're talking about, read Pandora's Star by Peter F. Hamilton and thank us later.

I will have to read this! In my book club, for Sci-Fi month we voted for Legion by Brandon Sanderson (very tame Sci-Fi). I've always wanted to read a Sci-Fi book since I'm a big Sci-Fi TV shows but never found a book to start me on my Sci-Fi genre journey.

• admin

@Hesperus I just read Legion last week. Solid little novella. FYI, Pandora's Star is like 1000 pages, it has no ending, it just leads right into the second book. It's amazing, but it's a lot of book!

• @UltimateBrent I don't mind long books if its a good read. My favourite series by Brandon Sanderson, Stormlight archive, is comprised of hefty books! As well as Kingkiller Chronicles by Rothfuss (will we ever see Book 3? :cry: ).

Oh and if anyone's on goodreads, please add me XD - my goodreads profile

• don't read many books but I reccommend these, if you would like some philosophical and moral debate with good story:
    Cold skin by Albert Sánchez Piñol
    Ender's game by Orson Scott Card
    Alamut by Vladimir Bartol (The book was an inspiration for the first assassin's creed)

• @Hesperus I love Kingkiller Chronicles and Rothfuss frustrates me with his silence on the topic. I mean if he'd post some updates from time to time, I'm sure I'd be feeling better about the whole thing. Right now, I get the sense that he'll never finish it. :(

Adding you on Goodreads! :D

My profile.

• admin

@crimilde said in What are you reading right now?:

@Hesperus I love Kingkiller Chronicles and Rothfuss frustrates me with his silence on the topic. I mean if he'd post some updates from time to time, I'm sure I'd be feeling better about the whole thing. Right now, I get the sense that he'll never finish it. :(

lol, can you imagine if you had started the GoT series in 1996? Rothfus is pretty quick compared to that :D

• @UltimateBrent Haha yeah, I can't even imagine how it feels for people reading it since the beginning.

Scott Lynch was in more or less the same situation with the Gentleman Bastards (9 years between Red Seas under Red Skies and The Republic of Thieves), and I suffered because of that as well, but The Thorn of Emberlain is finally coming out this year and the wait was much shorter.
    He was also fighting depression so it's great that he pulled through.

• @UltimateBrent @crimilde I don't mind waiting for a book to come out but the thing that frustrates me whenever I remember the series is that we've been getting release dates for a few years now. In anticipation for the third book, I've listened to the audio books a few times now. Lol. There's also a funny review on goodreads of Rothfuss commenting on people rating the third book as 5 stars and he wrote something along the lines of "if you know how the books ends please tell me."

At least he has a sense of humour about the whole thing!

I've never touched the Game of Thrones books because at least with the tv series I can skip the lewd parts.. when it's in books and pages of it, I feel like my time has been wasted. :pensive:

Added you! :D @crimilde

• Currently reading The Argonautica by Apollonius of Rhodes, c. 3rd Century BCE.

Do not recommend that you read it for pleasure, but if it's personal development, enlightenment, and cultural sophistication you're after, you can do far worse.

• I got the complete works of H.P. Lovecraft for Christmas, so whenever i have time I'll read a couple stories from that. Just read Call of Cthulu.

Looks like your connection to Easy Allies Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.