What are you reading right now?

• I just finished VALIS by Philip K. Dick. It's a great SciFi novel with an interesting narrative structure, placing Dick in the world himself. I don't want to give too much away, as I would highly recommend it, but the books focuses on themes of religion and mental illness weaved throughout it's SciFi plot.

• Well, I've been digging into the Durarara!! light novels recently, I bought the first 3 and I'm going through the first one right now.
    I really like it so far, it's been refreshing my memory from the anime. I love that world and those characters so much!

I also got All You Need Is Kill (upon which Edge of Tomorrow is based), and I kinda want to start it as well.

• I'm in the middle of The Tesseract, a novel by Alex Garland (who wrote The Beach, the screenplays for 28 Days Later and Sunshine, and more recently wrote and directed Ex Machina).

He also co-wrote Enslaved: Odyssey to the West, and I actually got The Tesseract back in the day as part of the collector's edition of the game, but never got round to reading it until now.

Needless to say, I'm a big fan of his work, but I was curious to see how good he was as a novel writer. And wow, I've been devouring the book! The style is fast-paced and clever, the characters are very lively, there's a good balance of action, drama and humour, not a single paragraph is wasted. Exposition and description are always intertwined with action, so it never feels boring. It's a very easy and enjoyable read, the guy really has a talent for storytelling. Thoroughly recommend it!

• Any and all books by Brandon Sanderson, and The Wheel of Time. Although I've read all of his books and WoT about 4 times.

Going to add other fantasy stuff on my list at some point.

• This one is non-fiction but I've gone back to In Praise of Shadows by Jun'ichirō Tanizaki (needed some inspiration). It's an excellent short read that looks into the Japanese aesthetic and covers things from lighting, lacquer work, cuisine, paper making, etc. Probably a must read if you're going to do design work (especially with lights and light based installations).

• I'm re-reading Prisoner of Azkaban and the Persona 4 Manga. Both are great.

• Rat Queens but that won't take long. So probably some of Neil Gaiman's newer stuff I haven't gotten to yet.

• A new Old Kingdom book just came out, called Goldenhand, which takes place after Abhorsen! Pretty excited to start reading it today.

• Hey fellow allies,

I'm looking for some suggestions.

If anyone knows any good books, (visual or light) novels, manga or comics, with a fantasy setting and a antihero as protagonist, please let me know!

I already read The Broken Empire Trilogy, which anyone should try out if you have not!

• @BlazingBahamut
    The Redemption of Althalus by David and Leigh Eddings was a good read IMO. That is if you want to read over 700 page fantasy novel...

• @jipostus said in What are you reading right now?:

@BlazingBahamut
    The Redemption of Althalus by David and Leigh Eddings was a good read IMO. That is if you want to read over 700 page fantasy novel...

@jipostus, thanks for the recommendation, I don't mind that it is long at all :) .

• @BlazingBahamut said in What are you reading right now?:

@jipostus said in What are you reading right now?:

@BlazingBahamut

@jipostus, thanks for the recommendation, I don't mind that it is long at all :) .

Although, I have to admit, the main character is really more a hero than anti-hero, despite being a professional thief... :/

• I've been reading Ship of Magic by Robin Hobb. It's pretty good but some of the main characters behave pretty strange. I'm beginning to think that they may have some form of light autism since most of the trouble they find themselves in seem to come from the inability to ready social cues. It's pretty interesting actually.

@Inustar I love the Dresden Files. Can't wait for Peace Talks.

• CALLING ALL AVATAR THE LAST AIR BENDER FANS!

One of the Co-Creators, Michael Dante DiMartino, released the first book in his new solo project. A novel series called "Rebel Genius". I'm terrible at describing things so here's a blurb from the official tumblr.

"In twelve-year-old Giacomo's Renaissance-inspired world, art is powerful, dangerous, and outlawed. A few artists possess Geniuses, birdlike creatures that are the living embodiment of an artist's creative spirit. Those caught with one face punishment akin to death, so when Giacomo discovers he has a Genius, he knows he's in serious trouble.

Luckily, he finds safety in a secret studio where young artists and their Geniuses train in sacred geometry to channel their creative energies as weapons. But when a murderous artist goes after the three Sacred Tools--objects that would allow him to destroy the world and everyone in his path--Giacomo and his friends must risk their lives to stop him."

Read the first few chapters. Very interesting so far, very much his style. Also if you're wondering what the other half of the ATLAB duo is up to Bryan Konietzko is working on a graphic novel series called "ThreadWorlds"

Hope one day they make something together again but until then these both seem like great reads.

• Right now I'm reading 1Q84 by Haruki Murakami and really enjoying it. I had tried reading some of his other books before, but I could never get into them. This is the first one that's hooked me right from the beginning, and I just love his style.

If people want fantasy suggestions, I highly suggest The Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss. I read the first two books over the summer and absolutely loved them. The wait for the third and final book in the trilogy is absolutely excruciating, though. If you want a series that's already finished, you can always check out Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson. The first book in that trilogy is super good, followed by a pretty meh second book, and a third book that's okay until the last act when it becomes fucking awesome. So it's a bit of a rollercoaster, but if you know that going in I suspect it'll be easier to read.

I also recently read The Golem and the Jinni by Helene Wecker, and I absolutely loved it. It's great if you want a more grounded fantasy novel. It's set in late 1800s/early 1900s New York, and takes its fantastical elements from Jewish and Islamic mysticism, which I think typically go underutilized. Absolutely give it a read if you're curious.

Finally, I also read The Gone Away World by Nick Harkaway, and thought it was one of the most insane books I've ever read. Harkaway (who, by the way, is the son of freaking John Le Carre), is a master world-builder. I went in blind, so I don't want to spoil anything about the plot. All you need to know is that it's a first person sci-fi novel that starts in a post-apocalyptic wasteland. Throughout the course of the book, it literally touches on almost every genre, including the martial arts epic. It's just bonkers, and everyone should check it out.

• @Olf_Himself I read the first chapter of Peace Talks and it was pretty great. Should be a good one!

• I'm almost finished with Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison. It had been something I've wanted to read for a while now. Took some time, even after I picked up a copy, but I eventually was able to squeeze it in-between all the reading I have for my college courses. I have about 50 pages to go and I am not disappointed. Definitely one of the best novels I have read in a while. I'm trying to extend it as long as possible because after I finish this I have to read Around the World in 80 Men as a result of a lost bet. I really wish I was joking about that last part.

• @Caleb_Aranda I think a lot of people kind of stop reading in college because they get overwhelmed by coursework. I had to make an active effort to start reading again this spring, and that was only because I was coasting for my final semester. Glad you got back into it with a good one! I'm terrified to google your next one.