What are you reading right now?

• Er, Easy Allies forum.

• @Brad-Grenz said in What are you reading right now?:

@Hesperus Yes! The Stormlight Archive books are fantastic. The Way of Kings was my introduction to Sanderson. Luckily he is very prolific compared to some other Fantasy authors.

Give Warbreaker a read. LOVED it.

@Olf_Himself said in What are you reading right now?:

@Brad-Grenz Check out his Mistborn books too. They're so good.

Mistborn was so slow but I've heard that the books after the original trilogy are great.

• admin

@ALLCAPS said in What are you reading right now?:

The Martian. It's such an easy and fast to read book. I read half of it last time I picked it up, and next time I pick it up I'll probably finish off the other half. Entertaining, doesn't ask too much of the reader, not super long. Nice light reading.

I actually liked the movie of that a lot more than the book. There were a lot of things about Watney that bugged me.

• Clariel, by Garth Nix.

• @Minamik That's from The Old Kingdom right? A friend told be about Garth Nix but I'm still on the fence about whether or not to pick up the first one (Sabriel, I think?). What's your opinion on the series?

• @Minamik said in What are you reading right now?:

Clariel, by Garth Nix.

YES. (To be honest, I still didn't tackle Clariel .. it keeps eyeing me from my bookcase every morning!)

But love the Old Kingdom trilogy .. and Keys to the Kingdom by Garth Nix.

@crimilde it's an amazing series! You should give it a read! I love the magic in it and Sabriel is a cool female lead!

• @crimilde said in What are you reading right now?:

@Minamik That's from The Old Kingdom right? A friend told be about Garth Nix but I'm still on the fence about whether or not to pick up the first one (Sabriel, I think?). What's your opinion on the series?

There aren't many books that I will read more than once, but I've read each book from The Old Kingdom series multiple times. I am waiting with bated breath for the next one to come out.

• Garth Nix's other stuff is pretty good too. I highly recommend RagWitch and Shade's Children. They're both one off stand alone books.

• @Minamik @Hesperus Thank you both! I'll give it a try!

• @Hesperus said in What are you reading right now?:

@Minamik said in What are you reading right now?:

Clariel, by Garth Nix.

YES. (To be honest, I still didn't tackle Clariel .. it keeps eyeing me from my bookcase every morning!)

But love the Old Kingdom trilogy .. and Keys to the Kingdom by Garth Nix.

@crimilde it's an amazing series! You should give it a read! I love the magic in it and Sabriel is a cool female lead!

Did you read the short story he wrote before Clariel? I think it's called Creature in the Case? It's about what happens to Nicholas Sayre after the events of Abhorsen.

• @Minamik yes I did! It was a nice quick read when I was missing the Old Kingdom. Btw, have you checked out The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson? I feel you might like it. It currently ranks as my favourite current fantasy series.

• @Hesperus said in What are you reading right now?:

@Minamik yes I did! It was a nice quick read when I was missing the Old Kingdom. Btw, have you checked out The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson? I feel you might like it. It currently ranks as my favourite current fantasy series.

I'll look into it!

• I recently started playing Wild Hunt for the first time so I picked up Sword of Destiny by Andrzej Sapkowski to get me in The Witcher mood. Really digging it so far.

• admin

If any of you haven't read The Milkweed Trilogy, starting with Bitter Seeds, please check it out. It's an alternate history of WW2 with magic and mutants, but taken very seriously. It's easily my favorite book series of the last decade.

• @UltimateBrent said in What are you reading right now?:

If any of you haven't read The Milkweed Trilogy, starting with Bitter Seeds, please check it out. It's an alternate history of WW2 with magic and mutants, but taken very seriously. It's easily my favorite book series of the last decade.

WW2? Done. On my to read list.
    There was a series with dragons about the Napoleonic wars which I had high hopes for and just couldn't get past the first few chapters.

• @UltimateBrent By the way, speaking about WW2, did you read Connie Willis' Blackout / All Clear? I don't dabble into that much WW2 stuff, but those two stuck with me because of the time-travel plot (people from 2060 go to different eras in the past to observe critical moments that helped shape the timeline, and inadvertently get caught in some situations where anything they do might change the future. The plot focuses on WW2).
    I recommend them wholeheartedly, very cool reads.

• Recently breezed through a nonfiction book called "Inevitable - 12 Inevitable Tech Forces That Will Shape Our Future". It was a fun read about the future, in which the author Kevin Kelly (founding executive editor of Wired magazine) described how he thinks the world will change in the next century. He even mentioned games and gamification as a process of creating "experience factories" for our minds so that we have something to do and enjoy beyond just physical possessions.

It's a fairly quick read but in case you want to watch a vid, here is a quick speech by the author, which sums it all up:

Youtube Video

Anybody else also interested in futurism?

• Currently reading The Voyage of the Space Beagle by A. E. Van Vogt

Last two books I read were
    Eden by Stanislaw Lem and The Stars my Destination by Alfred Bester

I recommend all three.

• I just finished reading Dance of the Dragons for the second time. I hope that the next book will get released someday... Well, while waiting, I think I'll look something more uplifting, as those books are bit... Dark to say the least.

• Trials of Apollo (by Rick Riordan)! It's a little weird, but I read the first book of the first series in the PJO unierse when I was in 5th grade, and now I'm reading the first book of the final series as I'm heading in to my second year of college. It's one of few things that I can honestly say I've enjoyed all my life. The book itself is really good, Riordan is as always poignant and funny.