What are you reading right now?

• @Lexad said in What are you reading right now?:

I am currently reading Altered Carbon by Richard K. Morgan. It was recently co-opted as a Netflix series.

500 years from now, humanity now has the capability to digitally download the soul and transfer their consciousness from body to body. It is like a neo-noir thriller with body hopping.

This sounds really rad!!

• @Spidarro said in What are you reading right now?:

@Lexad said in What are you reading right now?:

I am currently reading Altered Carbon by Richard K. Morgan. It was recently co-opted as a Netflix series.

500 years from now, humanity now has the capability to digitally download the soul and transfer their consciousness from body to body. It is like a neo-noir thriller with body hopping.

This sounds really rad!!

Yeah, I am getting about halfway through at the moment. There are bunches of little touches, like Catholics ask not to be "re-sleeved" because of thoughts of the soul. Most people only re-sleeve once or twice and then don't want to keep living at that point, but then you have the Meths or Methusalehs who have perfect clones of themselves kept on ice and have lived for hundreds of years.

A little more on the actual story, (and this is introduced in the first chapter so no spoilers), but a man was re-sleeved into a body back on Earth and hired by a Meth to investigate his apparent suicide. Since he had a backup, he was immediately re-sleeved but can't remember the 2 days leading up to his apparent suicide. He believes he was murdered but the cops have moved on, hence needing the help of this investigator.

I think it will play itself really really well as a Netflix series.

• Here's a list of mangas I'm reading https://hummingbird.me/users/Robbl/library/manga

• Finally I switched Sharp Ends with Ninefox Gambit by Yoon Ha Lee because it got delivered a couple of days ago and she is one of my favourite SF writers. Although this is her first novel, her collection of short stories Conservation of Shadows is one of the best I have ever read. The Fox's Tower and Other Tales is also very good. Very inventive and poetic. She reminds me a bit of Ann Leckie. I definitely recommend her work to any SF fan interested in something a little bit different.

• Infinite Jest. It's a little daunting and I'm finding it too hard to appreciate if I'm not totally rested but it's a hell of a read.

• blood of elves

• daredevil yellow

I just read Daredevil yellow today and it was amazing, really deep, atmospheric story and great art. cant recomend it enough

• I just finished VALIS by Philip K. Dick. It's a great SciFi novel with an interesting narrative structure, placing Dick in the world himself. I don't want to give too much away, as I would highly recommend it, but the books focuses on themes of religion and mental illness weaved throughout it's SciFi plot.

• Well, I've been digging into the Durarara!! light novels recently, I bought the first 3 and I'm going through the first one right now.
    I really like it so far, it's been refreshing my memory from the anime. I love that world and those characters so much!

I also got All You Need Is Kill (upon which Edge of Tomorrow is based), and I kinda want to start it as well.

• I'm in the middle of The Tesseract, a novel by Alex Garland (who wrote The Beach, the screenplays for 28 Days Later and Sunshine, and more recently wrote and directed Ex Machina).

He also co-wrote Enslaved: Odyssey to the West, and I actually got The Tesseract back in the day as part of the collector's edition of the game, but never got round to reading it until now.

Needless to say, I'm a big fan of his work, but I was curious to see how good he was as a novel writer. And wow, I've been devouring the book! The style is fast-paced and clever, the characters are very lively, there's a good balance of action, drama and humour, not a single paragraph is wasted. Exposition and description are always intertwined with action, so it never feels boring. It's a very easy and enjoyable read, the guy really has a talent for storytelling. Thoroughly recommend it!

• Any and all books by Brandon Sanderson, and The Wheel of Time. Although I've read all of his books and WoT about 4 times.

Going to add other fantasy stuff on my list at some point.

• This one is non-fiction but I've gone back to In Praise of Shadows by Jun'ichirō Tanizaki (needed some inspiration). It's an excellent short read that looks into the Japanese aesthetic and covers things from lighting, lacquer work, cuisine, paper making, etc. Probably a must read if you're going to do design work (especially with lights and light based installations).

• I'm re-reading Prisoner of Azkaban and the Persona 4 Manga. Both are great.

• Rat Queens but that won't take long. So probably some of Neil Gaiman's newer stuff I haven't gotten to yet.

• A new Old Kingdom book just came out, called Goldenhand, which takes place after Abhorsen! Pretty excited to start reading it today.

• Hey fellow allies,

I'm looking for some suggestions.

If anyone knows any good books, (visual or light) novels, manga or comics, with a fantasy setting and a antihero as protagonist, please let me know!

I already read The Broken Empire Trilogy, which anyone should try out if you have not!

• @BlazingBahamut
    The Redemption of Althalus by David and Leigh Eddings was a good read IMO. That is if you want to read over 700 page fantasy novel...

• @jipostus said in What are you reading right now?:

@BlazingBahamut
    The Redemption of Althalus by David and Leigh Eddings was a good read IMO. That is if you want to read over 700 page fantasy novel...

@jipostus, thanks for the recommendation, I don't mind that it is long at all :) .

• @BlazingBahamut said in What are you reading right now?:

@jipostus said in What are you reading right now?:

@BlazingBahamut

@jipostus, thanks for the recommendation, I don't mind that it is long at all :) .

Although, I have to admit, the main character is really more a hero than anti-hero, despite being a professional thief... :/

• I've been reading Ship of Magic by Robin Hobb. It's pretty good but some of the main characters behave pretty strange. I'm beginning to think that they may have some form of light autism since most of the trouble they find themselves in seem to come from the inability to ready social cues. It's pretty interesting actually.

@Inustar I love the Dresden Files. Can't wait for Peace Talks.