Youtube copyright question

• Hi friends,

I have a quick question regarding youtube copyright. I got back into Anime a short while ago as a way to listen to more Japanese, and recently finished watching/enjoying Mob Psycho. I'm also trying to push my writing in new directions, and since I've never formally tried my hand at writing reviews, I thought I'd try to review season 1. Then I thought I'd take it a step further - since most of my job is reading aloud to kids, I thought it'd be fun to record myself reading that review as a voiceover, if only to practice my diction. Then today, because at this point why not, I decided I wanted to try video editing. Right now I'm working on a video review of Mob Psycho 100 as a pet project, and if possible I'd like to post the finished product on youtube. However, literally all of the video that I will be using will probably be flagged for copyright infringement, as will the music I use (since I'd like to only use music from the show). My questions are:

1. Do you know if the kind of video I'm describing is likely to be taken down, and, if so,
    2. Do you have any tips on how to not have that happen?

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Noam

• Global Moderator

I say go for it. It may be flagged, but also I know that since its a review you are allowed to show stuff under the "fair use" regulations. If it happens you can try to fight it, but tips to avoid it I am not sure of Im afraid :(

• @Lotias Thanks for the info, dude! Since this pet project is mostly for my own sanity/personal betterment I definitely think I'm going to go for it. I guess the worst case scenario is that it gets taken down and I keep it to myself :D

• Global Moderator

@naltmank yeah! I say always go for it! I mean it can only go 2 ways! :D Do share here once its up! I would love to watch it!

• @Lotias Will do! I suspect it won't be for a little while, since I'm both self-taught and super rusty at editing. Plus I no longer have access to final cut now that I've graduated, so I'm going to have to try and make do with imovie. But once it's done I'll definitely post it!

• Use still images/screenshots if you want to play it safe.
    When it comes to music you could link to where you can listen to samples on Spotify or whatever in the description and then mention it in your video review.

• @suplextrain That's a good idea for the music, I hadn't thought of that before! Regarding the images, one of the things I want to drill is finding a rhythm in my editing, so I think I'm just going to risk the videos. Again, worst comes to worst, it gets taken down. At least I'll have tried, right?

• said in Youtube copyright question:

Do you know if the kind of video I'm describing is likely to be taken down, and, if so,
    Do you have any tips on how to not have that happen?

It's under fair use, it should be fine

• admin

I'd say be sure you limit the length of individual clips and songs and try your best to make sure the clips line up with your critique. Also, be sure to include the word review in your file name when you upload.

You also don't have to worry too much about flags, when you upload you'll see whether it gets flagged before you even make the video public. Most flags only prevent you from monetizing the video, but more extreme policies mute the audio or block the video in certain countries / devices. If it's clearly review though, you should be totally within grounds for fair use and can file a dispute in those regards. Best of luck!

• @Bloodworth Thanks for the tips, Blood!

• Anime videos on YouTube are notorious for getting copyright claims against them, even if they're fair use.
    But as was already mentioned, as long as you keep the clips short and on target with the review, then you have nothing to really worry about. Just don't freak out if you get a copyright claim.

Looks like your connection to Easy Allies Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.