Separate Gaming discussion from... everything else?

• @UltimateBrent just wondering if at some point we might get factions like we had back in the day on GT.

• admin

@KingofDMC said in Separate Gaming discussion from... everything else?:

@UltimateBrent just wondering if at some point we might get factions like we had back in the day on GT.

Anything could happen, but it's not on anyone's to-do list.

• i was about to make the same post. I would like to see this happen. Upvote

• I think this needs to happen. Be like NeoGAF in that regard, One main gaming forum and another General forum

• I also don't think we need anything like Playstation Forum, XBox Forum, Ninty, etc. That becomes a little too fractured IMO, since we are still pretty small time at the moment.

• I'd like to see some Wii U/Xbox One/PS4 pages, but yeah maybe introduce that later if the forum picks up pace. Just having a place for gaming talk separate from general would be good for now probably.

• I second pretty much everything already mentioned in this thread except limiting gaming related topics just to current gen consoles; being fractured and having a lot of different topics to talk about is a good thing, you just need some simple moderating & management over it so the things dont get too out of hand.

I reckon the main deal here is that Brent is still on the planning phase about sharing responsiblties to them trustworthy moderators that take over specific parts of these forums...and of course planning the whole layout about all em possible subthreads and main threads.

alt text

...Brent is THE big boss of these forums, right? Sorry, I literally just got in here YET I am already trying to give my input about how these forums should be like...Without even knowing who is actually behind all this magic becoming reality...Geez!

ANYWHO keep up the good work Brent and rest of you peeps! :baby_chick:

• Actually Brent said he isn't. He is more troubleshooting than anything. apparently Brandon is in the process of getting mods.

• TBH, I don't know if I care anymore about having separate categories.

It's just going to be flooded with favourite game lists and forum games, not discussions. It's going to be hard to filter through the junk regardless.

As long as the Shows category stays clean, I'd be happy with that. I do hope that instead of updating the same thread with updated shows, whoever will just create new threads so discussion won't get mixed.

• Yeah I second this thread. I definitely think 3-5 subforums more would do well. But I'm sure you guys will figure that out. Keep up the great work!

• admin

@Lexad said in Separate Gaming discussion from... everything else?:

Actually Brent said he isn't. He is more troubleshooting than anything. apparently Brandon is in the process of getting mods.

As of this moment, I'm nothing, but with full access to make changes. So I've been doing obvious fixes or adding features that are requested, cause who's gonna object to that? Stuff like picking mods and organizing the forums though are actual decisions, so I'm not super comfortable making them without some real Easy Ally saying so. I've poked Brandon again, hopefully we'll get some mods up in here soon.

• I think it's fine the way it is. The forum just isn't busy enough to section off topics of discussion. There's been like 60 posts since i last looked twelve hours ago.

• @unholyrevenger72 I don't even bother with General Discussion anymore since it's filled with non-gaming.

I only watch the threads I make.

• admin

Seemed to be enough Gaming and Non-Gaming Topics for the split to make sense. I went ahead and created the new category tonight.

• @Bloodworth Thanks Blood. It's a great improvement.

I still have ideas for further improving the state of discussions with filters, but this is a great implementation.
    I know that the users love their forum games and favorite lists, but they bum me out when a huge game gets its official thread drowned out by them.

I was thinking about having a separate forum for that might be good, but maybe the community can filter it out by our own set of rules by using the tag feature when posting. Tags are great and definitely underused.

• @Whoaness said in Separate Gaming discussion from... everything else?:

@Bloodworth Thanks Blood. It's a great improvement.

I still have ideas for further improving the state of discussions with filters, but this is a great implementation.
    I know that the users love their forum games and favorite lists, but they bum me out when a huge game gets its official thread drowned out by them.

I was thinking about having a separate forum for that might be good, but maybe the community can filter it out by our own set of rules by using the tag feature when posting. Tags are great and definitely underused.

Maybe a PSA from blood on proper tag use moving forward?

• @Lexad I dunno, I think it's up to the community to get it started. Threads need to be made to create a model of organization, then people will follow the standards.

Of course, it would be helpful to get stickies, though I haven't seen any. Is it possible to sticky posts in this forums? Seems trivial that it should be possible... oh nevermind, I see that Blood has done a sticky.

Well, anyway, I might begin some threads for games that are coming or came out. We'll see how things go.

• @Whoaness I wouldn't mind a filter for lists. It would require moderators though, as if someone doesn't tag something as a list, they can do it for the user.

• i would like to have sub forums as well. Like Console and PC discussion. Maybe retro as well

• @The_Andredal said in Separate Gaming discussion from... everything else?:

i would like to have sub forums as well. Like Console and PC discussion. Maybe retro as well

At current activity levels, separating the community even more with additional sub-forums is going to hurt activity. Gaming discussion isn't even that active. Breaking it off into more sections, is going to slow down site traffic. Due to threads being less active, as people naturally won't be checking every section on a daily basis.

And this site is way too small to successfully keep a Retro section active. Even on GT when activity was at its peak; the Classic section wasn't that active. And a Retro section here, will be largely dead in less than a month.