Card/Board Game Recommendation?

• Yay, Central Florida. I'm about to hit by a hurricane tomorrow night and Friday. It's only a cat 3 now (115 mph winds), but the power is still likely to go out for a while and it may get stronger. So, got any recommendations for a good card/board game that's available in-store somewhere for the wife and I? I'm well versed in video games, but have hardly anything tabletop. I could play 3ds, but I want to be a good husband and do something together with her.

• The hard part is I know some cool card and board games but none of it is 1v1. Any chance you could wrangle more players, because if not iono what to tell you other than stare longingly into one another's eyes and hump until the power is back.

• @Mbun I have two friends I'm trying to get here, since I'm a bit more inland than they are. I could always use a recommendation for that as well! If not now, then for the future.

• @Billy, you should really check out this board game: Carcassonne, which is best played with 2 (but can be played up to 5)!

alt text

Carcassonne is a tile-placement game in which the players draw and place a tile with a piece of southern French landscape on it. The tile might feature a city, a road, a cloister, grassland or some combination thereof, and it must be placed adjacent to tiles that have already been played, in such a way that cities are connected to cities, roads to roads, etcetera. Having placed a tile, the player can then decide to place one of his meeples on one of the areas on it: on the city as a knight, on the road as a robber, on a cloister as a monk, or on the grass as a farmer. When that area is complete, that meeple scores points for its owner. During a game of Carcassonne, players are faced with decisions like: "Is it really worth putting my last meeple there?" or "Should I use this tile to expand my city, or should I place it near my opponent instead, giving him a hard time to complete his project and score points?" Since players place only one tile and have the option to place one meeple on it, turns proceed quickly even if it is a game full of options and possibilities.

You could also check out "Rivals of Catan", a 2 player Catan card game, based on the legendary board game Catan (formerly The Settlers of Catan), where players try to be the dominant force on the island of Catan by building settlements, cities, and roads.

Or a fast and easy to pick up card game: "Love Letter". Love Letter is a game of risk, deduction, and luck for 2–4 players. Your goal is to get your love letter into Princess Annette's hands while deflecting the letters from competing suitors. From a deck with only sixteen cards, each player starts with only one card in hand; one card is removed from play. On a turn, you draw one card, and play one card, trying to expose others and knock them from the game. Powerful cards lead to early gains, but make you a target. Rely on weaker cards for too long, however, and your letter may be tossed in the fire!

• @Mbun said in Card/Board Game Recommendation?:

stare longingly into one another's eyes and hump until the power is back.

dead

• @BlazingBahamut A friend of mine showed me Love Letter, and I really liked that one! I totally forgot about it. I'll have to check out those other two. Thanks so much! I'm about to head out to the store now so hopefully I can fine one of those.

• @Billy I'm glad I could help, let me know which one you got and if you two enjoyed playing it!

• I'm a big advocate for Pixel Tactics. They have tons of sets out (I've only played the first, which I picked up for about $11 on Amazon, it should be available in gaming shops as well) and its a game they rewards you the deeper you sink yourself in. You basically build a small battalion of cards, all with different abilities/classes and fight against one other person. I've had some really tense, bloody matches and it gives off a Final Fantasy Tactics vibe (although it's obviously not as complex). I've read later expansions add in the ability to have more people fight and add in various objectives, but I can't speak on the quality of those undertakings.

• @SabotageTheTruth Sounds like a good time! I really want to get into something like that. Unfortunately, the roads were terrible and I had the hardest time just getting gas and food, so no new games for me. But these will be good ideas for another day, regardless!

• @Billy In that case, for card games I love the fantasy game Munchkin
    alt text
    and the western game Bang!
    alt text
    For board games, there's a ton of great ones out there, but one of the most fun ones I've ever played was funnily enough this formula racing game, even though I'm not at all into that sorta thing, called Formula D.
    alt text

As with most tabletop products, I'm pretty sure all of these, especially Munchkin, have a ton of expansions and stuff you can buy as well to augment the base sets, but you'll be good to go with the base set alone, or in the case of Bang! just get the bullet. It has everything you need. All of these games are relatively easy to learn, Bang! is maybe the hardest but not by much. Formula D looks intimidating, but it's actually really easy to pick up, challenging to master. At the very least, Munchkin should be at your local card or tabletop shop if not in the game sections of more all purpose stores. Formula D might be hard to find, but it's worth it if you do spot it somewhere.

Looks like your connection to Easy Allies Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.