Movie Recommendations.

• Hey Allies,

Not sure if there's a post already like this but I figure multiples won't hurt anyway.

We all know certain Allies love their movies, and I thought we should have a place to talk film in among all the video games.

So what movies do you want to recommend? Or what movies do you want to talk about?

Something released before you were even born or something that came out yesterday? What's everyone watching and what's getting you hype?

Personally I saw Green Room at the cinema the other day and took my Mum to see it with me for some Mother/Daughter bonding and we both had a blast and thought it was awesome, so would def recommend for anyone out there who loves high tension, a bit of awesome guts and gore and some good pacing.

• What We do in the Shadows is pretty amusing as far as mockumentaries go.

• Does it have to be a recent movie? The Hateful Eight would be my choice then. Classic Tarantino film goodness. The Prestige is a good one too; one of my favourites actually.

I often try to see most big budget films in the cinema when they come out, but I don't have the time to watch everything, so I think I'm going to be enjoying the thread and reading up on some of the lesser known films.

• Deadpool was the first movie I've seen in theaters with my own money since Scott Pilgrim vs. The World, and both were fantastic. I'm actually a huge fan of classic or older films. Sunset Boulevard is one of my all-time favorites, and as of now it's available on Netflix. I would strongly recommend it to pretty much anyone. The Graduate is another classic favorite, it features some really great shots and unusual ways of showing the narrative without getting too lost in its own artsy-ness. Blade Runner is a film where, if by some miracle you haven't seen it yet, you really need to. I actually think Inception is better than The Matrix in that both are based off of the philosophy of a French philosopher named Jean Baudrillard, and Inception more accurately communicates what Baudrillard is really up to intellectually. Even without that philosophical insight, though, it's just a masterpiece of a sci-fi/psychological/action film. I could never forgive myself if I failed to mention Hitchcock when asked for recommendations, my personal favorites of his are Rear Window and Psycho, with a special shoutout to North by Northwest for also taking place partially in my hometown and in locations I've actually gotten to see. Hitchcock is the originator of the thriller as we know it, and his work stands the test of time beautifully. With the exception of Scott Pilgrim and Deadpool, those are all pretty serious movies. More fun releases that I love would be The Breakfast Club and Ferris Bueller's Day Off, both of which are classics in their own right. If you're in the mood for horror, I would really recommend Hush. It came out this year and is already on Netflix, it's about a deaf woman who has to deal with a murderer. Without giving away too much, the way they handle sound in the film to contrast loudness and chaos with the reality of her deafness is brilliant, their handling of language is also very strong when it comes to her ability to communicate, and unlike many horror movie protagonists she's actually surprisingly tough and resourceful with a strong will to survive. Last recommendation would have to be David Lynch's Blue Velvet. The movie is a bit weird sometimes and definitely on the violent side, but Lynch's unique ways of building suspense, crafting a story, drawing out emotion, and playing with contrasting images are extremely apparent in this film.

• A great film that I've never seen recommended is Shinjuku Incident. It stars Jackie Chan and is one of his few non-fighting roles. Fantastic film.

Also I'll give a quick shoutout to the only Anime film I've ever watch which is Tokyo Godfather. It's about three homeless people who find a baby around Christmas time. It's an ok film.

• @alexwhiteplays I actually thought the first Matrix was better than Inception, 2 and 3 were rubbish, but the first one was pretty good. I have to admit, it's been a while since I've seen Inception, so my memory is a bit fuzzy on that film, but I remember disliking some of its aspects. I should watch that film again, and see whether my opinion has changed or not.

• That's a tough one.. I'd say my favorite movie is Raiders of the Lost Ark. Some of my favorite filmmakers include the Coen brothers, Spielberg, Scorsese, Nolan to name a few.

The last movie I saw was Ex Machina and I'd definitely recommend it if you're into slower paced sci-fi movies.

I've also been on a bit of a space kick lately (I love space stuff).. watched The Martian, Apollo 13, The Right Stuff (another favorite) and Last Man on the Moon on netflix. I recommend all of them!

• I'd love for allies to watch Noroi: The Curse

It might seem a little dry and uneventful at first as it's filmed in a documentary style but it's horror in its truest sense as you start to figure out just what's happening and how horrific it is

I'd also like to recommend I Saw The Devil

It's incredibly violent and brutal but justifies it with an engaging story

oh and for a bit of fun after those two super heavy films, I'd say go watch Grabbers a horror comedy where the only way to survive is to drink

• Just a couple of videos for the films i mentioned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vg-NjzHkiBU - Tokyo Godfathers review

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbUzECoLds0 - Shinjuku Incident trailer

• I definitely recommend Roman Polanski's Apartment Trilogy!
    They're basically three unrelated horror movies that all take place in and around apartment buildings.
    They're all about psychological horror, and it's cool to see how Roman Polanski improves over time.

Rosemary's baby is probably my favourite of the three!

alt text

• Ah man I don't know if I've seen anything recently I'd really recommend... Green Room is totally good though! Saw that last year. I'm feeling like the first half of 2016 has been pretty weak. Though I've seen over 10 films, I'm not sure if any are top 10 material.

I've actually been writing a movie blog about my favorite movies for a while, maybe I'll post it in the blog section when the first part is finished. The only thing is it would be a very long series.

EDIT: weirdly enough Anton Yelchin, the star of Green Room, was killed this morning when he was pinned by his own car, which was in neutral on an incline. That's rough...

• Some of my favourite films are:

American History X (about racism, redemption, its a powerful film, emotional)

Drunken Master (amazing martial arts film jackie chan at his best)

Apocalypto (aztec epic! lots of tension film makes it super realistic/believable huber also recommended it on his syndrome)

District 9 (not your typically alien film nice twist)

300 (this is sparta!!! tonnes of action, bloody, absolute madness)

Shutter Island (a mystery psychological thriller)

Limitless (no limits with drugs ;) )

• I'm anime trash so I'm inclined to say anything Ghibli, but Kiki's Delivery Service. I've loved that movie for like 80% of my life and it's still super good. I'd also say Spotlight, I watched it recently and was completely enthralled.

• Global Moderator

I've been a bit out of the loop with recent movies. The last two that I saw in cinema were Spotlight and Room, both highly recommended. Don't watch the trailer for Room as it kind of ruins the movie, fortunately I missed it.

I've a bunch of movies I'd recommend but I'm going to pick Upstream Colour. It's from the guy who did Primer and once again he writes, directs, acts and composes the movie! It's insane how good he is. The cinematography is gorgeous. the soundtrack is one of my favourites and it's one of those movies where you really need to pay attention.

It's not as confusing as Primer, and after the opening act, the movie has a much more standard structure. I know it's not for everyone but I'd love it.

Youtube Video

• Green Room has become especially important in light of Anton Yelchin's death today :cry:

Conjuring 2 was just great. I hope Huber brings it up in a Syndrome episode or Frame Trap. That was a movie where I just felt tense the whole movie, even if it was a fair amount of jump scares.

Now You See Me 2 was fun, but could wait for the DVD/digital release

• My fiance and I just saw The Conjuring 2 and we were SUPER happy with it. It is just as good as the first (we are huge fans of the first), and it just took the same things we loved about the first movie and capitalized on them. It has an interesting story and the characters that it introduces are easy to get attached to. Definitely characters that you actually root for. Good vibes all around.

• To go back a little bit, and a little weird, Cemetery Man aka Dellamorte Dellamore is one of my favorites. Found it while exploring different horror films in High School.

It's kind bizarre, a little graphic (violence/nudity) and is probably my favorite role played by Rupert Everett.

• @Octane The first Matrix is the only one I own on disc.

• It follows is the most tense film I have seen in ages. Not much gore and guts but it's a really good idea and one of the freshest horror films ive seen for a log time

• So now I have a big list of movies I'm going to have to check out.

I'll add a few more recommendations, more so on the comedy light-hearted side since a lot of horror movies are getting recommended (which is awesome, big horror fan here).

So Monty Python and the Holy Grail or Monty Python's Life of Brian are great if you haven't seen them (Life of Brian I watch every Christmas since it could be considered a Christmas movie, technically.) Also Robin Hood Men in Tights is good for a laugh.
    Kiss Kiss Bang Bang is a fun take on Noir style movies and a movie I enjoy every time I watch it.
    Cabin in The Woods, horror comedy with references to a lot of great horror movies and horror movie tropes.

Also I'll throw out a rec for Martyrs (the french movie not the remake) which I don't know if I like this movie or not, but I saw it a long time ago and still remember it really well so it had an impact. Also very much not a comedy, pretty heavy on the horror and gore.

Thanks for all the recommendations Allies!