Movie Recommendations.

• Green Room has become especially important in light of Anton Yelchin's death today :cry:

Conjuring 2 was just great. I hope Huber brings it up in a Syndrome episode or Frame Trap. That was a movie where I just felt tense the whole movie, even if it was a fair amount of jump scares.

Now You See Me 2 was fun, but could wait for the DVD/digital release

• My fiance and I just saw The Conjuring 2 and we were SUPER happy with it. It is just as good as the first (we are huge fans of the first), and it just took the same things we loved about the first movie and capitalized on them. It has an interesting story and the characters that it introduces are easy to get attached to. Definitely characters that you actually root for. Good vibes all around.

• To go back a little bit, and a little weird, Cemetery Man aka Dellamorte Dellamore is one of my favorites. Found it while exploring different horror films in High School.

It's kind bizarre, a little graphic (violence/nudity) and is probably my favorite role played by Rupert Everett.

• @Octane The first Matrix is the only one I own on disc.

• It follows is the most tense film I have seen in ages. Not much gore and guts but it's a really good idea and one of the freshest horror films ive seen for a log time

• So now I have a big list of movies I'm going to have to check out.

I'll add a few more recommendations, more so on the comedy light-hearted side since a lot of horror movies are getting recommended (which is awesome, big horror fan here).

So Monty Python and the Holy Grail or Monty Python's Life of Brian are great if you haven't seen them (Life of Brian I watch every Christmas since it could be considered a Christmas movie, technically.) Also Robin Hood Men in Tights is good for a laugh.
    Kiss Kiss Bang Bang is a fun take on Noir style movies and a movie I enjoy every time I watch it.
    Cabin in The Woods, horror comedy with references to a lot of great horror movies and horror movie tropes.

Also I'll throw out a rec for Martyrs (the french movie not the remake) which I don't know if I like this movie or not, but I saw it a long time ago and still remember it really well so it had an impact. Also very much not a comedy, pretty heavy on the horror and gore.

Thanks for all the recommendations Allies!

• @EmptyMorgue said in Movie Recommendations.:

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang is a fun take on Noir style movies and a movie I enjoy every time I watch it.
    Cabin in The Woods, horror comedy with references to a lot of great horror movies and horror movie tropes.

Both great movies! I recently rewatched Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang in preparation for The Nice Guys. Loved it as well, highly recommended! More people need to see those films.

• Three movies that immediately come to mind:
    Whiplash, JK Simmons at his best since Spider-Man. Consequently, you'll also become afraid of JK Simmons. I think it's a very good film, especially if you're into Jazz Music and Jazz Band and stuff.
    Good Will Hunting, only saw this one for the first time a couple years ago, and I got emotional with it, I found it to be pretty powerful, great performances from Matt Damon and Robin Williams, their scenes were fairly interesting.
    Dead Poets Society, another great Robin Williams one, I sorta found it to be in the same vein as Good Will Hunting in terms of tone/vibe, but it's still unique and compelling, don't think it gets enough credit.

Those are what I think of when I try to think of my favorite films, I'm sure I'm forgetting something. I remember very much enjoying Paper Towns last year, The Hurt Locker is a really good, intense war movie.

See also, Marvel Studios.

• Horror / Sci-Fi mish mash of favorites

Shock Waves
    Pontypool
    The Quite Earth
    the Haunting (1963)
    the Andromeda Strain
    Pumpkinhead
    Moon

Movies that I consider the best ever made
    Seven Samurai
    Hidden Fortress
    High and Low
    Mr. Smith goes to Washington
    You Can't Take It With You
    It's a Wonderful life
    Lawrence of Arabia
    Psycho
    the Birds
    Apocalypse Now

Movie that will mess with your head
    El Topo

Movies I like but almost feel like I shouldn't like
    American Psycho
    Inside Man
    King of New York
    Devil
    World War Z

• Gattaca: Set in the near-enough future that it doesn't feel like sci-fi (even though it is), this one's definitely worth a watch. Discusses stuff like eugenics and self-determination.
    The Hunt for Red October: Absolutely my favorite movie of all time, could watch it a thousand times no problem. Cold War submarine espionage/intrigue/action movie.

Lately I've been getting really into AI movies, though none of them have quite done it right as far as I'm concerned. But Her, Ex Machina, and (believe it or not) Age of Ultron all hit on important themes. It's always annoying when the writers go (potentially spoilery trope complaint ahead)

"oh, and then how about the AI becomes the antagonist! That would be such a great and unexpected twist!" Drives me absolutely crazy.

• I haven't got any specific recommendations (at the moment) but I will recommend people listen to the Sin Cast, the Cinema Sins Podcast. Every week I add about five movies to my too watch list from listening to it.

The main thing they are doing at the moment is picking the best movie of every year from when the oldest host of the podcast was born. So I am building a good list of films mid-70s onwards to eventually watch someday.

• As fellow anime trash I'd like to recommend to everyone Grave of the Fireflies (Ghibli) if you're looking for a good punch to the stomach. It's not for everyone certainly and hardly flawless, but if you let yourself become absorbed into the story, it's pretty amazing. On the opposite tonal spectrum is Macross Plus: The Movie. Beautifully animated, easy to follow (mostly), great action set pieces, and amazing music.

Live action, I'd have to echo the recommendation on Blade Runner. Again, its not for everyone, but if you can sustain your focus while watching it, it's mesmerizing. Fingers crossed for the sequel.

• @thenerdtheword said in Movie Recommendations.:

The main thing they are doing at the moment is picking the best movie of every year from when the oldest host of the podcast was born. So I am building a good list of films mid-70s onwards to eventually watch someday.

That's interesting! Do you have the list? I'd like to see it, for curiosity's sake.

• @Ringedwithtile said in Movie Recommendations.:

@thenerdtheword said in Movie Recommendations.:

That's interesting! Do you have the list? I'd like to see it, for curiosity's sake.

I don't have my list to hand but I found this IMDB list someone made that covers a lot of the films they've brought up since the podcast started

• I'll go by genre and by my best of the best with nothing too obvious. Pop any of these in and i guarantee you won't be disappointed.
    Horror: The Babadook, Inside (A L'interieur) and the ones mentioned by EmptyMorgue
    Action: The Raid 1 & 2 (best in the biz), Shoot 'em Up, Running Scared, The Rundown, Mission Impossible Ghost Protocol, Kingsman The Secret Service (2015 #2 top film)
    Sci-Fi/Fantasy: Snowpiercer (2014 #1), District 9, Stardust, Moon, The Prestige, Midnight Special (2016 #1 so far), Pacific Rim, Cloud Atlas, Looper, Children of Men, Being John Malkovich, Pan's Labyrinth, Her, Start Trek,
    Sports: Creed (2015 #1), Warrior
    Animated (easily my favorite genre): Big Hero 6, How to train your Dragon 1&2, Madagascar 3, Song of the Sea, Lego Movie, Kung Fu Panda trilogy, Wolf Children and The Boy and The Beast since Miyazaki is done, Mamoru Hosoda is proving a great replacement, Anomalisa, Batman Under the Red Hood, Wall-E, Porco Rosso and Kiki's Delivery Service, The Iron Giant, The Toy Story shorts since most people haven't seen 'em, DBZ: Battle of Gods, Wonder Woman (better than any live action film will ever be)
    Drama: The Shawshank Redemption, 12 Years a Slave, A Beautiful Mind, Beasts of The Southern Wild, We Bought a Zoo, Jeff,, Who Lives at Home, Dope, The Way Back, Sicario, Spotlight
    Documentaries: The Cove, Dear Zachary, Beyond the Mat, Indie Game the Movie, The King of Kong
    Comics book or superhero films: V for Vendetta, The Dark Knight, Kingsman, Hellboy 2 The Golden Army, Sin City, Oldboy (korean)
    Classics: Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Back To The Future, Jurassic Park, Scarface, Schindler's List
    Comedies: I Love you Man, 7 Days in Hell (tv movie hbo), Get Him to the Greek, Tropic Thunder, The Grand Budapest Hotel, The Interview, Bridesmaids

• Hard to be a God
    Youtube Video

Possession
    Youtube Video

Diamonds of the Night
    Youtube Video

• Well, Taxi Driver is my all time favorite film. So I would highly recommend that to anyone who likes character driven films. Being a Taxi Driver might sound like a really boring subject (except the french movie Taxi), but getting to know the troubled character and watching his descent into madness is truly fascinating. It's about the story not the plot.

Actually, I recommend anything by Martin Scorsese.

• Everyone might have already seen them, but I still say that Lord Of the Rings Trilogy is a masterpiece (even if some people diss them because books are better, which they are, but these movies do stand on their own merits as the best movie trilogy ever made), especially the Extended editions are amazing, and if you are at all interested how movies are made, those extra features are pure gold. I'm having a marathon of the Hobbit and LOTR extended editions with my friends, that's going to be... A long day... But I think it'll be glorious.

Now that that's out of the way, let's go to something else what I have watched lately...

Infernal Affairs... Better, original version of The Departed, which is a good movie, but Infernal Affairs is better all around.

Hard Rain - It's a ok movie, even if you don't like Christian Slater.

Ashens and Quest for the Game Child - Actually funny movie, especially if you at all like Ashens, and sequel is in the works, so I'm looking forward to that.

Alien Trilogy - Resurrection and AVP movies are popcorn flicks, and I don't care for them. However, The first three movies capture elements from both SciFi and Horror really well, and if you haven't seen them already, Trust me... You won't regret that decision. They do all start slow, but... The wait is worth it.

• I recently saw "The Witch" and "10 Cloverfield Lane". Both amazingly terrifying films.

• @ObbyDent I went to see 10 Cloverfield Lane in the pictures and I found it boring. Although John Goodman killed his role, great acting,