Dear Bosman - Live with YouTube Gaming

• @Mr-M said in Dear Bosman - Live with YouTube Gaming:

@ZyloWolfBane said in Dear Bosman - Live with YouTube Gaming:

The whole advertising campaign for that game has been equally as hostile, so I'm not sure whether this is as serious as it looks or if it's all just part of the gag.

...There's been an advertising campaign for that game?

It's kinda sad that he's going that nuts considering how little influence Kyle has in the grand scheme of things. Where was his attack on Kyle when he was constantly going on about how stupid Battleborn is? Does he agree that Battleborn is a stupid game whilst at the same time not know his game is a very similar type of stupid? He seems like someone who isn't very self aware, but at the same time if this gets picked up by any outlet it'll be the most press his game has got in the past 2 years so who knows it could be some sort of calculated dickery.

Yeah, there was a youtube video they made where a character from the game insults bad user comments from a polygon article on the game.

Really great idea huh?

• To be fair Jaffe has a point with his comment about cynical, mean spirited journalism. It’s the reason I follow easy allies because it is not. If I member correctly Kyle also talked about how the artwork of the game looked like doodles and that’s why is pretty unappealing. This and that it is a just the 100th arena shooter nobody cares about. But I wouldn’t be surprised if those tweet actually really matter to Kyle. Jaffes last tweet about his game was not too long ago Nov.12. Wonder if it is normal for a developer to write for the official playstation blog. But yep the game still looks shitty as hell, and with only 6 playable characters, lol

• @Ikataishou I agree. Although I love Bosman and his comedy I found his Battleborn commnts a little anti-L&R.

It worked out in the end with BB having the last laugh, but I think that underperforming games don't need the additional dogpiling.

Jaffe would have had a reasonable tweet if he kept it at pointing out snarky commentary, but obviously went too far #TeamKyle

• @TheHashtag0nist On the other hand, no one or at least no one who doesn’t follow Jaffe on twitter heard about the game in maybe two years. Maybe he should be happy with any amount of PR. As sad as it is, but the only reason no other media outlet is shitting on the game is because nobody cares enough :( . If it wasn’t Jaffe there could be a reason to be this vile just for the additional PR. One time, when Randy Pitchword was promoting Battleborn at some press conference he looked really exhausted and then I feel just sad that he is unable to drop this project even if he might want to. Might be the same for Jaffe.

• The last time I heard of Drawn to Death, I stopped playing the beta and deleted it because it wasn't fun.

• Episode 8 is a bit good.

Stay weird Kyle Bosman.

• Wow.
    So I read all these comments about David Jaffe getting angry, and reading his tweets, before I watched that final episode.

I think I'm a little confused at what he got angry about. It wasn't exactly flattering, sure, but the way he made it sound in his tweets I was expecting Kyle to say "Drawn to Death Sucks!"

If there's more of Dear Bosman, I hope to see more of that ridiculous skit stuff ☺

• David Jaffe is usually negatively reactive and has strong opinions. Nothing new about that. But i can understand being pissed about the negative attitude towards your game on a show that gets watched by a lot of people. That's the first bonus bit from kyle in sooooo long. feels good :)

• @CGamor7 Jaffe just went for round 2 on the PSILOVEYOU panel.

Do some damage control Bosman!

• @TheHashtag0nist If that was just live right now, please someone link a video afterwards.

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5eMJonzkZI&feature=youtu.be&t=2h50m12s - rewind the stream he starts talking around 1.42

• @myfatdad Stream rolled over :(

• Confirmed - I would rather have a screwdriver jammed into my ears than listen to Jaffe speak.

• @SabotageTheTruth Not a big fan either, but he has taken the stage now and specifically mentioning Bosman. It's a very one sided story now and people won't understand it was all over a 2 second joke.

My PR heart is bleeding

• The crowd turned on Kyle. :(

• @Sentinel-Beach meh, I wouldn't put too much emphasis on that crowd reaction.

It does seem like Jaffe was genuinely hurt though. I have followed the guy for years and he is a bit of a brazen character but for the most part I've seen him stand true to his statements and if he gets called out on something he at least has the insight to admit where he's been wrong and apologize when necessary

I think he's a little overly sensitive about Kyle's joke but that's maybe because his last few games haven't really done as well as he probably would have liked so maybe he's just sensitive to any criticism of his career and his success or failures therein. He was the same way when reviews came out for calling all cars. IIRC he praised eurogamer for their fair review but criticized other places for not detailing exact reasons for rating it poorly etc. In any case I'm sure tensions are high, stress is high and this was just an exposed nerve.

I dunno. This whole thing is just a big nothing imo.

The really interesting thing it brings up for me though is this whole concept of how critics and their subjects and whether they should play nice or not care at all. Like can a critic of plays and a actor be friends? Should they be nice to each other? or does the critic have to maintain complete and utter separation from those that he is critiquing to be able to give open and honest critiques? Because if so then the critic should never interact with the actor, to remain pure. That's a hard thing to do when the actor can just twitter bomb you or whatever you young kids call it these days. And how far does that extend, what if you're not critiquing a play for a particular actor at the moment, can you be friendly with them, should you avoid talking to them? where does the line between unbiased and biased start to form?

In any case, you can't look to a comedy sketch for fair and balanced critiques, and you can't ask someone who's identity and self worth are wrapped up in an object to not be hurt when you make fun of said object. C'est la vie.

• @Mango interestingly enough I just read an article on Kotaku about the winner of the fan creation award from the Game Awards. It was written by Stephen Totilo and in the comments he discussed how he was friends with Keighley, and how he actually avoided contact with most game devs and others in the scene because of having to do articles on them and them possibly getting pissed off. He only did that article because he was already talking to Keighley and knew it would be more efficient to ask himself about the missing award.

It's interesting to think about. Of course in an ideal world everyone would at least be nice to each other, even if being critical, but we're human beings and have emotions and those get hurt.

• This post is deleted!