Mafia III

• Heya,

I'm in a bit of a turmoil at the moment. I loved the first Mafia, though the second was ok, but a part of me still wants to snap up the third now. Has anyone played a significant amount of it to give me a verdict? I would be thankful.

• I'm making a full review on it. At the moment I think I'm about halfway through.

It's too early for me to give a verdict I can stand behind... but I think it's overall a good game that takes a few missteps, has a few technical hiccups (but solid 30FPS on PS4) but is (so far) strong in the storytelling department.
    Like with the prior Mafia games though it's still a single player story focused game set in an open world, not an open world sandbox like say GTA.
    If you can wait a few days I'll go more indepth when my video review is up or you can check out what other review sites have to say.

• Kinda sad its not true mafia game any more instead its GTA spin off.

no chapter system, open world instead of linear with sandbox design, no hats and suits, etc. they ditch the uniqness of mafia and turn it into every other open world game.

Mafia 1 is imo the greatest third person action game of all time. mafia 2 was pretty good too but step back but this looks like every other GTA clone.

• Can you guys tell me how it handles racism as a game mechanic? I heard preview coverage that some people would shoot Clay on site in certain areas. Any elaboration or similar mechanics to be found?

• I read a user review that complained about the story having major tonal issues not unlike, say, Tomb Raider reboot where Laura cries about having to kill then proceeds to get XP for completely murdering a whole forest of animals let alone people.

Basically, this user said that it attempts to draw attention to black issues faced in the time and place of the story, but it does so by means of making every Italian character a blank faced racist. The plot then turns into a murderous revenge and its themes get lost in between.

I only bring it up because there is nothing I dislike more than tone issues. If a game should attempt a cinematic or story driven experience then it should own it. I shouldn't have to suspend belief because "its a game".

• @suplextrain I'll hold out for now then. Look forward to the review :)

• @Sheria said in Mafia III:

@suplextrain I'll hold out for now then. Look forward to the review :)

check out steam reviews. so far incredibly negative.

theres one official review claiming game is very repeteteive yet praising story.

• @Black-Cell said in Mafia III:

Kinda sad its not true mafia game any more instead its GTA spin off.

Not really sure what you mean by this. As I said it's NOT like GTA but like the older Mafia games in how it plays (story focused game set in an open world, not an open world sandbox).
    Yes you're not an italian trying to rise in the ranks of the italian mafia but you're still a person working in organized crime trying to dismantle the mafia in the city and take control of it yourself along with getting revenge (from what I've seen so far). Part of your crew is Vito from Mafia 2 and he runs the italian gang.

no chapter system, open world instead of linear with sandbox design, no hats and suits, etc. they ditch the uniqness of mafia and turn it into every other open world game.

Chapter system is honestly irrelevant. It's just a number that comes up.
    Also the prior Mafia games had an open world not a sandbox design, same as Mafia 3, not what you described. Beyond just doing story and side missions (like being a hitman for Vito or just talking to your friends) there is very little to actually do in the game. It's not a sandbox like GTA.
    Also are suits and hats really what made the Mafia series stand out to you?
    I don't think you really know much about this game and have only seen a trailer or two and heard some misinformed opinions on the game.
    Don't get me wrong, the structure is still different from the the other Mafia games but it's way way more like a Mafia game than a GTA.

Mafia 1 is imo the greatest third person action game of all time. mafia 2 was pretty good too but step back but this looks like every other GTA clone.

Mafia 1 and 2 are not great action games. The style, story and characters made those games good. This is so far the same opinion I have with Mafia 3. The story, characters and style are the strongest aspects of the game.

@Haru17 said in Mafia III:

Can you guys tell me how it handles racism as a game mechanic? I heard preview coverage that some people would shoot Clay on site in certain areas. Any elaboration or similar mechanics to be found?

Some establishments can be white only and the people in the bar can hassle you until you leave and they will call the cops at any provication. That's the only thing I noticed gameplay mechanic wise so far. Apart from that it ties into the story, people can insult you on the street, etc.

@GoTaco said in Mafia III:

Basically, this user said that it attempts to draw attention to black issues faced in the time and place of the story, but it does so by means of making every Italian character a blank faced racist. The plot then turns into a murderous revenge and its themes get lost in between.

This might happen down the road (I'm only around halfway through and it's a pretty long game) but so far that statement is wrong. Characters in the opening act that are italian don't judge him after his color and you even end up working with Vito which is an italian mob guy. Back then racism was pretty rampant and even italian weren't really viewed as white.
    There is a ton of racism in the game but not everyone is a racist. The game even makes it a point that not every white person is a racist.
    That said maybe that user got an early copy or something and has gotten way further than me in the story, but so far I haven't noticed what he's talking about.
    If I'd hazard a guess a bunch of people are judging the game when they haven't even played it.

I only bring it up because there is nothing I dislike more than tone issues. If a game should attempt a cinematic or story driven experience then it should own it. I shouldn't have to suspend belief because "its a game".

I also dislike it and so far I haven't noticed anything on par with what we saw in the TR reboot.

@Black-Cell said in Mafia III:

check out steam reviews. so far incredibly negative.

I put absolutely 0 weight on steam reviews. They're almost always terrible and tell you nothing. They're pretty much the reviews I value the least along with metacritic user reviews.

theres one official review claiming game is very repeteteive yet praising story.

I can't fully comment yet but the game is a bit repetitive in structure but everything tied to the story is good so far yes, but there's more to say about the game than that.

• Damn, I need to get around playing Mafia I. I remember when it came out but never really got into it. I was never a PC gamer and I was skeptical how the PS2 and Xbox ports turned out.

Then I was trying out demos on OnLive and came across Mafia II. Something about the opening and the shotgun drew me to that game. I ended up picking it up on XBOX 360 and just ate it up. The story and atmosphere are both very engrossing.

Previews of Mafia III explosions really took any hype out of me for that game. But I'd love to be proven wrong.

• Didn't get to play a ton over the weekend, just got past what I would consider the lead up to the main story arc. So far I really dig how they have chosen to tell the story, with flash-forwards to what seem like documentary like interviews and trail hearings. Right now it seems like the main driving force in the game is the story and characters, they have built up all the reasonings for why the main character is on this revenge death tour and I feel the game has done a really good job setting all the pieces in place. I think I'm just starting to get to the meat of the game now so we'll see if it can continue but its off to a strong start in my opinion. Probably only like 2-3 hours in.

• @suplextrain said in Mafia III:

@GoTaco said in Mafia III:

This might happen down the road (I'm only around halfway through and it's a pretty long game) but so far that statement is wrong. Characters in the opening act that are italian don't judge him after his color and you even end up working with Vito which is an italian mob guy. Back then racism was pretty rampant and even italian weren't really viewed as white.
    There is a ton of racism in the game but not everyone is a racist. The game even makes it a point that not every white person is a racist.

Yeah I only brought that user review up because it stands out as something I cannot stand in games. I do not intend on playing Mafia III for at least 12 months so I can't even comment personally.

I can however comment on Italians. I am half Italian but born and raised in Canada. I've never suffered any sort of racism in my lifetime and I certainly know about what Italian's generations ago went through in North America. Even one of my old bosses used to get it bad in the factories when he was younger in the 70s and 80s. That's why I thought it was bizarre that this user review suggested all the Italian's were racists in the video game.

Either way, your response was a lot more thorough than his so I'll take your word that the tone issues aren't bad (so far).

• I've been having a blast playing it because I'm a sucker for good revenge story and this handles that very well.

What has surprised me are the steam discussions. It's a sea of tears down there. I have the PC version and havent had any problems with it...besides the control UI ..didn't work for me..so guess what? I'm playing on keyboard and mouse..big deal.

• Youtube Video

LOL cant believe how they released unfinished game..

• @Black-Cell
    Dude. Half your favorite games are RIDDLED with glitches.

• @El-Shmiablo said in Mafia III:

@Black-Cell
    Dude. Half your favorite games are RIDDLED with glitches.

my friend, for example?

• Deus Ex
    Half-Life
    Mafia

Maybe you are to young to remember, but those games were very glitchy at launch.