The EZA Top 100 Videogames!

• Back to back MGS games? This continues with the surprises! For a time, I thought about getting into the series, but after a lot of thought, I decided against it. Now I'm expecting 1 and 3 to be much higher.

• 91 - Life is Strange: I'm surprised that this title made the TOP 100, because lately I have been hearing some bad rumours about it, I haven't played it yet, but it is my type of game, so I'm certainly playing it in the near future!

90 - Dragon Quest VIII: I'm really disappointed this awesome title only made it to number 90 on this list, thank you @TokyoSlim and especially @Divinity for supporting Dragon Quest VIII.

This game for me currently holds the title of THE pinnacle of your Dragon Quest/Warrior experience to this day, and it is the maturation of traditional role-playing, nothing more, nothing less, so very strange it didn't get higher on this list.

89 - Star Fox 64: I'm planning on playing the remake on 3DS, I'm expecting a very fun game, but not something that will leave a lasting impression on me, but I see why it could be on this list for some of you.

88 - Xenoblade Chronicles: Although its visuals weren't groundbreaking, Xenoblade Chronicles proved that the JRPG-genre still has a lot to offer to its fans with some improvements it has brought to it, I just don't have the same fond memories of it as I do with some other JRPG titles.

87 - MGS4 & 86 - MGS2: A thank you for nominating these titles @mcrmj, @jipostus, @naltmank, @Divinity, @DeweyDecibel, @Tearju-Engi , @Bard91 and @Lotias!

Ah, the Metal Gear Solid series, my absolute favorite gaming series of all time! I haven't given my vote to these two entries, because I wanted to save my points for my absolute pinnacle in gaming if you take in every factor and what it meant and still means to the video game industry today: Metal Gear Solid!

The reason why the Metal Gear series is so great is because of its plot and gameplay. When Metal Gear Solid came out for the PS1, the graphics and gameplay were top of the line. Metal Gear itself laid the path for the stealth action genre. In my opinion to pull off the incredible amount of options or variations in the gameplay at the time of MGS I, was just mind-blowing, lest we not forget Psycho Mantis reading your mind and making you switch your controller :).

The story is another reason why its so great. The characters are 3-dimensional and have more to them than what you first see. The bosses are unique and intriguing. And in a sense, the fact that it uses nuclear weapons almost makes it a realistic fantasy.

But in reality it's the "!", "?", cardboard boxes, nudie mags, bad ass moments, story, music, comedy, snake vs monkeys, metal gears, gadgets, guns, the list goes on and on!!!

The series is almost 30 years old and was still going very strong until Kojima left, let's all pray for the future of this series!!

PS: @Brannox , start playing this series TODAY, any gamer should play or at least try to play one entry of this series!!

• Ah, yes. The metal gear makes its first strike. I'm kinda surprised that they are so "low" on the list, since many people consider it to be the best franchise in gaming. It still has some irons in the fire left though. My bet is on Snake eater. That game was dope :)
    Saying this, I am little afraid that when we'll get closer to the top, there will be just a bunch of Zeldas. Oh boy...

• @BlazingBahamut I didn't decide not to lightly. I looked HARD at the Metal Gear Legacy Collection. What ultimately made my choice was the sheer "complicated-ness" of it all. The gameplay looks really interesting, don't get me wrong, and I'm also a proponent of stealth, but several things turned me away like having various Snakes and Big Boss (I still don't understand it. No spoilers because I don't want others ruined), the convoluted plot lines. It's a touch much, but all the same, like many entries so far: Haven't played but I respect it IMMENSELY (Although I still love to have debates with people that Final Fantasy VII was the best PS1 game :-P )

• @Nillend Yeah I'm surprised how low on the list some of these entries have landed. It definitely makes this more interesting though! I may have ranked a certain Zelda game pretty high though...

I wonder if any of the Allies submitted a list? Maybe Brandon can read it on a stream or the podcast :D

@Bloodworth !!

• What Brannox said. I haven't played the MGS series at all either, and at this point, it just seems like such a huge mountain to topple. "The convoluted plot lines" sums it up pretty neatly in my head, it all seems like a too big challenge to approach. But an interesting series, nevertheless.

• Global Moderator

@Brannox Im happy for you and gonna let you finish, but Final Fantasy IX is the best PS1 games :smirk:

The whole MGS universe are so forth and back and people fooling each other which makes it great! :D

• @Lotias don't worry, IX is gonna show up sooner or later. I think I have it as the top rated ps1 game. So I'm right there with ya.

1. Metal Gear Solid 4
      Never played, dunno if I ever will.

2. Metal Gear Solid 2
      Never beaten, dunno if I ever will.

I will be surprised if my favorite Metal Gear game will be on this list.

• alt text
    85. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (2006) - 67 Points - 4 Votes - Highest Vote: #1 Haru17

Developer: Nintendo
    Publisher: Nintendo
    Genre: Action-adventure
    Platform(s): Nintendo Wii, Nintendo GameCube

Twilight Princess is the first Legend of Zelda game for the Wii and also the last for GameCube. At first Link is a simple farm boy, whose tasks consist of herding goats to watching children in Ordon village, Link's home town. One day, Link is asked by the mayor to run an errand in Castle Town, but things sudden go wrong…

The land becomes dark, and strange creatures appear from another world called the Twilight Realm, which turns most into ghosts. Link, however, becomes a wolf. After becoming a wolf, Link is aided by Midna, a resident of the Twilight Realm. Midna helps Link find a way to turn human again along with other tasks. The wolf cannot use a sword or other items. Instead, as a wolf Link must use his senses to solve puzzles and get past obstacles. The beast can also dig holes to find hearts and rupees and to get in places. It can push blocks with its head to climb higher or reveal hidden passageways. Additionally, it can attack enemies by biting or pouncing on them. As a human, Link can move around quickly, aim his bow, swing his sword, and even fish. Link also collects many different items, which allow him to perform varied attacks and reach places he couldn't before. Link performs many attacks with his sword and can even learn other sword moves.

Other Votes: Hero of Lime (3.), naltmank (28.), Faaip (25.)

Links:
    Wikipedia
    Mobygames
    Gameplay on Youtube

alt text
    84. Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 (including FES and P3P) (2006) - 68 Points - 3 Votes - Highest Vote: #4 SobotageTheTruth, Bard91

Developer: Atlus
    Publisher: Atlus/Koei/THQ
    Genre: RPG
    Platform(s): PlayStation 2, PlayStation Portable

Having lost your parents as a child, you lived in the suburbs with your relatives, until they decided to send you to a high school located on an island near the port city Iwatodai. But as you attempt to enter your new dormitory, you are attacked by a mysterious creature. As a result, you discover within yourself the gift to call upon a higher being, Persona, that grants you immense power. Your new ability makes you decide to investigate the strange world of shadows that has been plaguing the city every midnight, and to find out who or what is behind it.

This sequel in the Persona series, which is part of the Megami Tensei franchise, is not directly connected to its predecessors story-wise. The gameplay has also underwent significant changes, throwing an element of "school simulation" into the Megaten RPG formula. You get to live the life of a normal high-school student: you attend classes, talk to your friends, get homework, wait for the summer vacation, and so on. The game is divided into school days with their own schedule. However, at midnight the real world freezes, and only you and your friends with the unique Persona abilities can feel the time flowing as they battle the shadows. The battles follow the classic Megaten model of demon-summoning. You can either attack with your weapons, or call a mighty Persona from within yourself. After the battle is won, you receive Persona cards, which can be fused to get more powerful Personae. Inspired by the system used in Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne, you are able to hit enemies' weakpoints with your magic spells. Taking advantage of these weakpoints means that you can perform devastating combo attacks while the enemy is weakened.

Other Votes: FF7Cloud (17.)

Links:
    Wikipedia
    Mobygames
    Gameplay on Youtube

alt text
    83. Hotline Miami (2012) - 68 Points - 5 Votes - Highest Vote: #3 Karu

Developer: Dennaton Games
    Publisher: Devolver Digital
    Genre: Action, top-down shooter
    Platform(s): Microsoft Windows, OS X, Linux, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, PlayStation Vita, Android

Hotline Miami is a violent top-down action game set in Miami, Florida in 1989. The protagonist is a hitman, nicknamed Jacket by the fans, who receives messages on his answering machine from mysterious employers. Most of the game consists of various missions that always start in the killer's own apartment. He receives a new task through his phone and then hops in his DeLorean to drive to the location and do the job. After each mission there is a short story sequence where he stops by a shop.

Missions are always set in buildings with one or more storeys. Jacket has to enter and kill everyone inside. This can either be done in a silent way, taking out opponents one by one, or as a hectic sequence where everyone is attacked at once. When alarmed, usually all opponents on a single level will be drawn to Jacket. There are various ways to approach opponents. Enemies can be taken out with melee weapons or guns. They can also be knocked out by punching them or slamming a door in their face, but they will get up. When they are only stunned, Jacket can perform a brutal finisher or pick them up to use them as a human shield. Enemies include regular guards but also dogs. Usually there is no starting weapon and they have to be taken from the environment or from opponents. Some of these are specific to the location, such as a boiling pot in a kitchen environment. Other melee weapons are baseball bats, knives, crowbars and more. Guns usually have a limited amount of ammo. When taking out enemies silently, the field of vision and sound need to be taken into account. In certain missions, Jacket can hang on ledges to move on the outside to another part of the building. He also has to take into account glass and transparent surfaces as enemies can see and shoot through them. All weapons can also be flung at opponents, usually just stunning them, but only one weapon can be carried at all times.

Other Votes: Alex840 (30.), Browarr (16.), Brandon_Reister (22.), Sabotage TheTruth (16.)

Links:
    Wikipedia
    Mobygames
    Gameplay on Youtube

• 84th :(

Dissapointed

• Metal Gear Solid 4
    I'm not a huge Metal Gear fan, but I did appreciate how epically this tied everything up and ended the whole thing, it was very memorable. I honestly don't think they should have made any more after this, especially V. I've only beaten this entry once though.

Metal Gear Solid 2
    I've beaten this game three times, but I much prefer 1 & 3 personally. Something irritates me about this entry and it's not Raiden. I think it's the whole Big Shell and the way it ferrets you from strut to strut to strut....going back and forth, it's just really annoying.

Twilight Princess
    A solid and very enjoyable Zelda game. I don't have much to say about it though. I only beat it the once when it came out on the Wii, but I have bought the Remaster. I'm more of a 2D Zelda fan myself.

Persona 3
    Very enjoyable game. I've beaten it once on PS2 and then on the PSP. Persona 2 is where it's at for me though, Eternal Punishment and Innocent do it for me more than both 3 and 4. I must say though that I slightly favour 3 to 4. After thinking about it for a while, I'm not too surprised to see it as low as it is. Persona 4 is the one that will be on a lot of peoples lists and I expect that to be rather high.

Hotline Miami
    Another Indie game I've never played.

• @Lotias I KNEW saying that would bring about IX supporters :laughing:

Anyway, for the new entries:

I played a little of Twilight Princess, and while I stopped at the first dungeon, I enjoyed the little I did get to try. Being my cousin's game and Wii, I have a very small amount of time with it and it was alright. The Zelda series never really spoke to me, though I DID play the hell out of WindWaker. Never beat it though...

Persona 3: I'm surprised this is so low. I know Persona 4 is coming somewhere down the line, but allow me to say something that will bring about some ill will my way: I don't get it. I just don't. The look doesn't appeal to me, the gameplay is not my thing, and from the little I've heard of some story arcs, I don't see what's so revolutionary about it. That said, I KNOW the fervor behind it here in the community and especially from one Dragon of Iowa... Love and Respect to those super into Shin Megami Tensei. I'm just not one of 'em. I'm going to back into quiet time now...

• Pfft..VII and IX? VIII is where it's at.

• @Brannox Persona and SMT are really two different things by now. I like SMT and I wish I could play more of them, but at least to me as a P3 & P4 fanboy it is not even in the same ballpark.

As to why they are special, their story arcs have little if anything to do with it, to me is all about the characters and the world that is built with them, and I can say that I would not be as much as I'm into gaming if it weren't for them.

• 85. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
    Great Zelda game, just not my favorite.

84. Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3
    Great JRPG, 1st Persona game released in europe and I've ever played, now I own the whole series.

83. Hotline Miami
    I got that from a Humble Bundle, played it for a few minutes, wasn't impressed.

• Global Moderator

@Sheria Haha! I tried so hard to like VIII, but I just couldnt! loved VI, VII and IX, but VIII never clicked with me!

• @Sheria Yep, right next to XIII X-D

But seriously, super cool to see you support VIII. Can't stand it personally, but that's why I love FF: Something for everyone.

• @Brannox said in The EZA Top 100 Videogames Countdown!:

But seriously, super cool to see you support VIII. Can't stand it personally, but that's why I love FF: Something for everyone.

Agreed :) Hard to explain that one game you just love so much. It's a rare and wonderful thing when everything just clicks with you. I do love VII and IX almost as much though ^^

• The only non MMO FF I truly dislike is FFXII, and I'm sure it will be high on this list.