The EZA Top 100 Videogames!

• Global Moderator

@Brannox Haha yeah! I suppose this gives us more satisfaction and more time to take it in more!

alt text

I want to know it all now as well! :D I guess this drags out the pleasure even further!

• This post is deleted!

• The Wind Waker fans are going to madden me even further with this list, aren't they?

Well, whatever. At least Twilight Princess is on it (looking at you IGN, Time magazine). It's not like environmental interaction has been done better and as meaningfully anywhere else (ex: Minecraft not very "meaningful" because it's all just random). It's the best Zelda soundtrack, the best Zelda story, the best Zelda combat, and the best Zelda dungeons by a damn sight!

I doubt even Breath of the Wild will surpass it in areas such as the dungeons, story, and perhaps the soundtrack.

• @Musou-Tensei said in The EZA Top 100 Videogames Countdown!:

The only non MMO FF I truly dislike is FFXII, and I'm sure it will be high on this list.

You love Xenoblade but hate FF12? Interesting, I hate them both and always thought they were similar in many ways, so I thought people who liked one would like both

• @Haru17 said in The EZA Top 100 Videogames Countdown!:

The Wind Waker fans are going to madden me even further with this list, aren't they?

Yes. Yes we are.

• @Haru17 Wait til Skyward Sword places higher than Twilight Princess ;)

• @Axel I think I might have to stop talking to gamers if that came to pass.

Luckily (maybe), I won't have to do that.

Well, whatever. At least Twilight Princess is on it ... It's the best Zelda soundtrack, the best Zelda story, the best Zelda combat, and the best Zelda dungeons by a damn sight!

Combat, maybe (the special moves are great), but Majora's Mask will have something to say about all those other claims...

• Story and music? And dungeons? You do know story would include direction, right?

Maybe when Majora makes it back from film school.

• alt text
    82. Undertale (2015) - 69 Points - 4 Votes - Highest Vote: #8 SabotageTheThruth, naltmank

Developer: Toby Fox
    Publisher: Toby Fox
    Genre: RPG
    Platform(s): Microsoft Windows, Linux

Years after a devastating war between humans and monsters, a child has fallen through a hole and into the monsters' underground world. Under the care of a kindly monster woman named Toriel, they learn the basics of the underground world, including that they may be attacked by other monsters who are less friendly. After the child leave's Toriel's care, it's up to them how they proceed through the underground, including whether they kill the monsters in their way or try to find peaceful resolutions to conflict.

Undertale is an Eastern RPG with some action aspects in its combat system. In the overworld, the player explores areas, solves puzzles, and talks to NPCs. When a battle is triggered, typically through random encounter, the game switches to the combat screen. A heart representing the child's soul appears in a small box, in which objects representing the monsters' attacks appear and must be dodged in real time. On the child's turn, they can attack monsters more directly through the fight command. A meter that determines the strength of the player's attack must be hit with good timing in order to deal more damage.

Other Votes: blakynt (26.), Bard91 (13.)

Links:
    Wikipedia
    Mobygames
    Gameplay on Youtube

alt text
    81. Zone of the Enders: The 2nd Runner (2003) - 70 Points - 4 Votes - Highest Vote: #4 Lotias

Developer: Konami
    Publisher: Konami
    Genre: Hack and slash, Third-person shooter
    Platform(s): PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3 (HD), XBOX 360 (HD)

Dingo Egret is minding his own business, investigating a hidden power source Metatron, when out of the blue his mining team is ambushed by BAHRAM. He discovers that the source of the Metatron is actually an abandoned battle robot, Jehuty (seen in the original Zone of the Enders), and decides to use the machine against the BAHRAM. Dingo soon realises that there's more to the story then simply wanting to own a powerful machine, as treachery and evil power comes into play. It's up to you to control the Jehuty and destroy any plans the BAHRAM for evil purposes, at whatever cost.

Zone of the Enders: The 2nd Runner is a sequel to Zone of the Enders. Like its predecessor, it is an action game that concentrates on piloting the giant mecha Jehuty (walking or hovering in the air), engaging in battles against other robots, using his energy sword and secondary weapons and techniques. Unlike the first game, there is no "world map" to travel on; the player is taken to the next stage automatically. Jehuty can upgrade his abilities by destroying enemies and gathering experience. Sub-weapons are acquired after having successfully eliminated a boss enemy. The game also allows the player to participate in a battle against a friend in a two-player battle mode, or try out the special VR training missions.

Other Votes: DanteThePyro (23.), Joetown (15.), jsackel (12.)

Links:
    Wikipedia
    Mobygames
    Gameplay on Youtube

alt text
    80. Dark Souls III (2016) - 71 Points - 3 Votes - Highest Vote: #3 Nillend

Developer: FromSoftware
    Publisher: Bandai Namco
    Genre: Action role-playing
    Platform(s): PlayStation 4, XBOX One, Microsoft Windows

In the Kingdom of Lothric, the pilgrims go on their journey towards certain death... And then the Fire fades. The Lords of Cinder, fallen heroes who have linked the First Flame in the past, are now missing. And it is up to a lone Unkindled to hunt them down and bring them back to their thrones at Firelink Shrine...

Dark Souls III is the fourth entry in the Souls franchise (with Demon's Souls being the spiritual predecessor to the series). There are many references to the previous entries scattered throughout the game, such as old NPCs, familiar places and items, and so on.The gameplay remains true to the series (particularly to the first Dark Souls game), despite also having clear influences from Bloodborne. The player starts the game by choosing one of the 10 available classes, being able to customize the appearance of the character to their liking. The flow of the game is clearly faster than the first Dark Souls game, though not as fast-paced as Bloodborne - there is still the need for planned out blocking and dodging, while waiting for your chance to counterattack. Also available is the regular host of weapons and armor to choose from, allowing for a very high level of replayability. The level design also remains true to the series, with several interconnected paths and secrets spread throughout. The covenant system is back along with the multiplayer mode, where players can interact in the same fashion as before, with invasions and co-op. One of the new additions to the game is the Weapon Arts system. This mechanic allows the player to have a specific stance for each of the weapons encountered in the game, being able to unleash a special movement with them by spending FP points (which are also used for casting magic, like in Demon’s Souls). This new system only adds to the depth of the game, paving the way for even more diverse character creation.

Other Votes: Dogtype (13.), Browarr (6.)

Links:
    Wikipedia
    Mobygames
    Gameplay on Youtube

• 82. Undertale
    Started watching a LP of it because a LPer I used to watch regulary started it, but eventually I quit watching, the humor is completely lost on me.

81. Zone of the Enders: The 2nd Runner
    Very cool mech action game with long cutscenes.

80. Dark Souls III
    Never played.

Story and music? And dungeons? You do know story would include direction, right?

Maybe when Majora makes it back from film school.

Majora has the best Zelda dungeon, Stone Tower Temple. TP has the worst Zelda dungeon, City In The Sky. The remainder of TP's dungeons are good, but overlong.

Majora compensates for only having four dungeons by focusing on a metric ton of sidequests, many involving deep, moving character stories. Majora is a collection of stories, all affected by a central plot point.

Twilight Princess' music pales in comparison to both the OOT and MM soundtracks. I personally prefer the darker, more dissonant tunes in Majora.

Potential spoilers:

Song of Healing

Rosa Sisters

Southern Swamp

Deku Palace

Ikana Valley

Stone Tower Temple (Inverted)

Final Hours

Majora's Incarnation Battle

• Global Moderator

81. Zone of the Enders: The 2nd Runner (2003) - 70 Points - 4 Votes - Highest Vote: #4 Lotias
    THERE IT IS!!! :D

I was SO worried that this game wouldn't make the list - but I am SO happy that it did! I have played through this game SO many times, platinum it on PS3 and as a mech lover (see my Avatar, lol Jehuty) I wanted to put this high up. I remember first reading about this game in a games magazine and thinking "huh that seems kinda cool". A few weeks later I saw it in my local small CD/film store and even though it was expensive at the time I went for it. Fighting robots, Explosions, Laser, Love, what more can you want in life?

There were some bits that were a little dull at the start. However, the further in you got, the more you understood of the conflict and BAHRAM the more you wanted to stop them - and Nohman. The ending also really hit me hard. Goosebumps and teary eyes. Can I also add that the Vector cannon are the coolest weapon in a game, like ever?

• Holy shit Undertale made it! I thought I was going to be like, the only person to list it!
    @Musou-Tensei don't blame you if you choose not to do so, but you should try giving it another shot. It's not necessarily the funniest game, but it has a ton of heart. I'm definitely biased towards it because I played it at a time where it was unexpectedly relevant to my real life, so it hit me in the gut, but I do think there's a lot in there for just about everyone to love. Plus it's pretty short, which is always a plus if you're on the fence at all.

• Not many thoughts on the newest three: I understand Undertale's inclusion because (I think I may be wrong here) that was the indie game alongside Rocket League that really catapulted the small games into the 2015 GOTY talk. As far as DS III is concerned, much like JRPGs, this list wouldn't be an EZA list without a Dark Souls title. I'm left wondering where Demon's Souls, the other two Dark Souls, and Bloodborne all rank. While I'm not fan of the franchise, I see the From Software franchise a lot like Persona and Ni No Kuni and Dragon Quest in this situation: An inevitability to be ranked. It's all about WHERE that ranking will be.

• 80. Dark Souls III (2016) - 71 Points - 3 Votes - Highest Vote: #3 Nillend
    Wooooo!!! Dark souls! @IanHinck represent!!!!

Seeing this makes me both happy, because the game gets acknowledged, and sad because I feel that the game should be higher.
    Even if not my favorite, it is still the BEST game I ever played and definitely my personal GOTY 2016.

Also thank you @Dogtype and @Browarr for having a great taste :D

• I'm a little surprised that so few of us voted for Underale, I think it is easily one of the most ingenious games in years, and its quality and polish is top notch.

Never played any Zone of the Enders, but its a cool surprise, never would have though I would see it here.

• alt text
    79. Mass Effect 3 (2012) - 72 Points - 3 Votes - Highest Vote: #1 Inustar

Developer: BioWare
    Publisher: EA
    Genre: Action role-playing
    Platform(s): PlayStation 3, XBOX 360, Microsoft Windows, Wii U

As a result of Commander Shepard's affiliation with the Cerberus organisation in the past, he or she is removed from active service by the Alliance military upon returning to Earth. It is at this point that the alien machine race known as the Reapers launch an all-out assault on the planet. The Defense Committee asks Shepard for assistance, and Captain Anderson re-installs him as a member of the Alliance and Commander aboard his old ship, the Normandy. While Anderson stays on Earth, trying to hold its defenses against the overwhelming power of the Reapers, Shepard is sent to the Citadel to convince the galactic council to provide military aid for the struggling planet, and unite the alien races in a battle against the common enemy.

Mass Effect 3 is the third game in the series and forms the final part of the trilogy. As with previous games in the series, gameplay combines tactical, squad- and cover-based third-person combat with role-playing, in the form of different classes, customizable upgrades and dialogue choices. As with the second part of the trilogy, save files from the previous games can be imported with decisions being made in the first two games having an effect on the new situations. In addition to combat difficulty selection, the player is offered a choice of three modes before starting the game. The "action" mode bypasses conversation choices, displaying them as non-interactive cutscenes; the "story" mode keeps choices intact, but lowers combat difficulty. The "role-playing" mode reflects most closely the gameplay of the two previous games, containing both choices and more challenging combat.

Other Votes: Karu (15.), Brandon_Reister (5.)

Links:
    Wikipedia
    Mobygames
    Gameplay on Youtube

alt text
    78. Silent Hill 2 (2001) - 73 Points - 3 Votes - Highest Vote: #4 Sheria

Developer: Konami
    Publisher: Konami
    Genre: Survival horror
    Platform(s): PlayStation 2, XBOX, Microsoft Windows

The player is cast in the role of James Sunderland, on first sight a normal person who got confused, as anyone else would, when he received a letter from his wife asking him to come to Silent Hill, their special place. The only problem is that his wife died three years ago, and has kept the secrets surrounding her death. James decides to honor the letter's request, wondering if this is a sick joke or if there is more to this. As James reaches the outskirts of the town, he finds that the road is blocked, and parks at an abandoned restroom. Little does he realize that this is the first step forward into the mystery of Silent Hill and his own past.

Silent Hill 2 is a survival horror game. The gameplay is similar to that of the first installment. The player navigates James around the town of Silent Hill and collects weapons, health-restoring items, and objects needed to solve puzzles in an unlimited inventory. A radio alerts James when enemies are near. Like the protagonist of the first game, James is not very skillful in combat; he can fight with basic melee weapons or firearms with scarce ammunition. Most of the puzzles are logic-based and are often shaped like riddles, though there are a few simple inventory-based tasks as well.

Other Votes: Churchy (11.), SabotageTheTruth (5.)

Links:
    Wikipedia
    Mobygames
    Gameplay on Youtube

alt text
    77. Final Fantasy X (2001) - 73 Points - 4 Votes - Highest Vote: #2 Brannox

Developer: Square
    Publisher: Square
    Genre: RPG
    Platform(s): PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3 (HD), PlayStation 4 (HD), PlayStation VIta (HD), Microsoft Windows (HD)

Tidus is a young athlete who lives in a futuristic city of Zanarkand - "the city that never sleeps". He plays blitzball, a ball game where players throw the ball while flying around. Suddenly, a terrible disaster happens. A huge dark wave engulfs the city, spawning monsters. Tidus comes in contact with the mysterious creature, and as a result finds himself in a different world, a thousand years into the future. The civilization he is used to doesn't exist any more. He learns that the world he knew was destroyed by Sin, a terrible being that is believed to be indestructible. Tidus meets a young summoner named Yuna, and joins her as a guardian on her quest to put an end to Sin.

Final Fantasy X is Japanese-style role-playing game set in a world somewhat similar to South Asia. Only individual locations can be physically explored; there is no "world map" in the game, and exploration is fairly linear. Enemy encounters are random; the game abandons the series' traditional ATB (active-time battle) combat in favor of fully turn-based mechanics, with the turns of the participants displayed in the upper corner of the screen.The game also departs from the usual leveling up system. There are no character levels in the game: instead, experience points received after battles can be allocated by the player directly to upgrade the characters' parameters. Each character has his or her special "sphere map", with straight or branching paths containing spots that increase the character's personal statistics, or teach him or her active and passive abilities. The characters are given distinct class attributes, and it is possible top switch between all the party members during the same battle. Monster summons (called aeons in the game) now behave like playable characters, have their own hit points (HP), and can fight for the party until defeated.

Other Votes: Nillend (24.), SabotageTheTruth (18.), jipostus (7.)

Links:
    Wikipedia
    Mobygames
    Gameplay on Youtube

• In which @Inustar says "fuck the haters" and follows his heart. I respect it. I personally loved Mass Effect 3, even with its ending. I just thought 2 was better, and since the whole series is so closely related, I only wanted to put one from the franchise on my list.

• @Exist-2-Inspire It seems like you made a small mistake with FFX, it seems to have 4 votes instead of 3.

Aside from that this seem like good entries, although ME3 had some things that pissed me off that I'd never put it in my list, even if the game is good for the most part.