The EZA Top 100 Videogames!

• 76.Half-Life
    The thing is I played Half Life 2 1st and in comparison HL1 is simply inferior, not bad, but not amazing either.

• Only one of mine in the first quarter. Not surprised, as I'm super picky and tend towards the all-time greats. ^_^

• Let me get this right, Zone Of The Enders beat out Metal Gear Solid 2. I figured most people only bought Zone Of The Enders to play the demo of MGS2, I know I did.

I remember beating ZOTE but never revisited it but I kept playing that MGS2 demo disc.

MGS2 is not a game I'll forget for a long time, one of the most intense and difficult games for me personally (on the hardest difficulty) especially the fight against the metal gears. Also going through those virtual missions was an endurance test, must have gone through every emotion during these.

I love the final boss fight, I still load up my most recent save file and replay it, once I worked out how every enemy attack could be dodged, countered or impeded I came to appreciate it a lot more.

• @robert7lee Actually it was ZOE2 :P

• @bard91 my eyes! These glasses do nothing!

Teaches me not to read properly....oops

• @Oscillator Yeah, only one I've gotten so far is DQ8.

• interesting to see dark souls 3 on the list it didnt make my list i love the series and the game however there are 3 better games in the series just hoping they appear (im sure they will)

ffx is a good pick while not my favorite in the series but a top notch rpg a little constrictive in the exploration but its was their first ps2 rpg loving the diversity in the games so far

• A GOTY list with four Souls games is a GOTY list made in 2016...

• Honestly if you had the same countdown in ten years time and no other Souls game came out, It'd only mean one less Souls game on the list I imagine and it'd be between Dark Souls and Dark Souls 3.

• @Musou-Tensei I agree. While there's no question how important HL1 was to the fps genre, I think HL2 is and will probably continue to be the "timeless masterpiece" for some time

• @tokeeffe9 dark souls 3 perfected the gameplay however dark souls 1 will always get the edge with the world the world in that game is something that will never be matched

• @tokeeffe9 said in The EZA Top 100 Videogames Countdown!:

Honestly if you had the same countdown in ten years time and no other Souls game came out, It'd only mean one less Souls game on the list I imagine and it'd be between Dark Souls and Dark Souls 3.

He says, in 2016.

It's like if I said the only way to make RPGs was open world with dialogue trees and moral choices.

"Nnnnnope!"

• @Haru17 To be fair, Dark Souls is 5 years old, and Demon's Souls is 7 1/2. To me, their overwhelming popularity demonstrates the quality and longevity of an incredibly well-crafted formula. I've played through every game multiple times, got all the platinums, and am still hungry for more. Yes, I agree the series should take time off, lest it become stagnant. But it still deserves every spot it occupies on this list.

Post Script: I only put one entry from the franchise on my list, but I am still happy to see it show up (likely) more than once.

• @Billy There were open world games before 2000, but they've only become a fad by now (technically by about 2015). The chatter about Souls reached shout-level by around 2014, to my recollection.

The perception of every game evolves over time, as Souls' already has. It would be significantly shortsighted to say that Souls' first evolution — from "this is hard" to "this is challenging" — will be its last.

• @Haru17 Yeah, you're right that its popularity has catapulted to a fever pitch this year and last. OG Dark Souls was still sort of a niche game at launch, picking up its fans over time. It's very "cool" to like Dark Souls now, and mayhap that'll change in time. But I still think their quality has left indelible marks on many of its players that won't soon be forgotten.

• FFX is the lazy gamers RPG, and I love it for that. There's nothing rushing you, no ATB bar so you can take as long as you want and consider every possible action. Until you use a limit break.

There's also Blitzball!

What's not to like?

• So far this is pretty damn good list! I thought some of the games revealed would be higher on the list (e.g. Half-Life, Silent Hill 2) so I'm interested to see how the rest plays out. I'm wondering where the rest of my picks will come, Star Fox 64 Silent Hill 2 are the first ones to make the list!

• Global Moderator

@robert7lee That god damn Blitzball! or "How Lotias lost his will to live trying to win the cup". Its almost like its impossible to win the cup, I mean like if you manage to score in the last game, the NPC becomes like "Super mega goku epic blitz mode" and you couldnt win

• @Haru17 its not like saying that at all. I'm saying good games get remembered. It's why we'll see both MGS1 & MGS3 much higher up the list.

You can bookmark that quote for later too :)

• alt text
    75. Overwatch (2016) - 75 Points - 7 Votes - Highest Vote: #8 Alex840

Developer: Blizzard Entertainment
    Publisher: Blizzard Entertainment
    Genre: First person Shooter
    Platform(s): Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 4, XBOX One

In the near future of our world, an uprising of artificially intelligent robots led the United Nations to form Overwatch, an international task force of the best and brightest "scientists, soldiers, adventurers, and oddities" in order to combat the threat. After the war, Overwatch was dedicated to peacekeeping and scientific progress, and became a symbol of hope around the world. However, many years of controversy and waning influence came to a head when the UN launched an investigation into alleged human rights violations, which was shortly thereafter followed by an explosion that claimed Overwatch HQ and the lives of two of its most prominent members. This led to the disbanding of the organization. Now a number of heroes from a variety of organizations and walks of life have come together to fill the void Overwatch left.

Overwatch is a first-person shooter in which two teams of six players each battle to complete objectives or hinder their opponents from doing such. Playable heroes are divided into four classes based broadly on the role they are meant to play: offense, defense, tank, and support. Each hero has their own unique abilities and gameplay mechanics, and players can switch to a different hero mid-match in order to better aid their team. Objectives are different on each map, and can include overseeing the delivery of a payload object to a specific location, capturing or defending specific areas of the map, or a combination of the two.

Other Votes: DeweyDecibel (26.), Nillend (30.), Exist 2 Inspire (27.), SabotageTheTruth (14.), Inustar (20.), Karu (17.)

Links:
    Wikipedia
    Mobygames
    Gameplay on Youtube

alt text
    74. Deus Ex: Human Revolution (2011) - 76 Points - 5 Votes - Highest Vote: #2 Exist 2 Inspire

Developer: Eidos Montreal
    Publisher: Square Enix
    Genre: Action role-playing, first person shooter, stealth
    Platform(s): Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 3, XBOX 360, Wii U, OS X

In a near future dominated by chaos, conspiracies and biomechanical augmentations, society is divided by various organizations fighting for supremacy, and large corporations extending their power beyond those of governments. An ideological war is growing between people who accept the biotechnological progress and people who fight it. A human revolution is coming. Adam Jensen is a thirty-four-year-old ex-SWAT member from Detroit, enrolled by a powerful biotechnology company named Sarif Industries. His job is to ensure the scientists' private security and safeguard the secrets of the company's projects. The first day after his hiring, Adam Jensen is about to attend a meeting with David Sarif, the founder and CEO of Sarif Industries, when suddenly a red alert is issued in the company laboratories. A troop of mercenaries, apparently working for Belltower Associates, breaks in and kills several scientists. After having neutralized some of the mercenaries, Adam is severely injured by one of them. He has no choice but to be enhanced with biomechanical augmentations to save his life. His goal is now to discover what were the motivations of the attackers, and unravel a greater conspiracy behind their actions.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution is the third game in the Deus Ex series. The events of the game take place in the year 2027, twenty-five years before those described in the first game. Like the first installment, the game is a hybrid of 3D shooter with a stealth angle and role-playing. All styles of play can be adopted to succeed in the missions, from a totally furtive mode (some bonuses are granted in case the player character hasn't been detected during the whole mission), to the most brutal one. The player's decisions may have an impact on the storyline.

Other Votes: NCartwright15 (21.), DanteThePyro (29.), jipostus (13.), MCRMJ (14.)

Links:
    Wikipedia
    Mobygames
    Gameplay on Youtube