The EZA Top 100 Videogames!

• @tokeeffe9 dark souls 3 perfected the gameplay however dark souls 1 will always get the edge with the world the world in that game is something that will never be matched

• @tokeeffe9 said in The EZA Top 100 Videogames Countdown!:

Honestly if you had the same countdown in ten years time and no other Souls game came out, It'd only mean one less Souls game on the list I imagine and it'd be between Dark Souls and Dark Souls 3.

He says, in 2016.

It's like if I said the only way to make RPGs was open world with dialogue trees and moral choices.

"Nnnnnope!"

• @Haru17 To be fair, Dark Souls is 5 years old, and Demon's Souls is 7 1/2. To me, their overwhelming popularity demonstrates the quality and longevity of an incredibly well-crafted formula. I've played through every game multiple times, got all the platinums, and am still hungry for more. Yes, I agree the series should take time off, lest it become stagnant. But it still deserves every spot it occupies on this list.

Post Script: I only put one entry from the franchise on my list, but I am still happy to see it show up (likely) more than once.

• @Billy There were open world games before 2000, but they've only become a fad by now (technically by about 2015). The chatter about Souls reached shout-level by around 2014, to my recollection.

The perception of every game evolves over time, as Souls' already has. It would be significantly shortsighted to say that Souls' first evolution — from "this is hard" to "this is challenging" — will be its last.

• @Haru17 Yeah, you're right that its popularity has catapulted to a fever pitch this year and last. OG Dark Souls was still sort of a niche game at launch, picking up its fans over time. It's very "cool" to like Dark Souls now, and mayhap that'll change in time. But I still think their quality has left indelible marks on many of its players that won't soon be forgotten.

• FFX is the lazy gamers RPG, and I love it for that. There's nothing rushing you, no ATB bar so you can take as long as you want and consider every possible action. Until you use a limit break.

There's also Blitzball!

What's not to like?

• So far this is pretty damn good list! I thought some of the games revealed would be higher on the list (e.g. Half-Life, Silent Hill 2) so I'm interested to see how the rest plays out. I'm wondering where the rest of my picks will come, Star Fox 64 Silent Hill 2 are the first ones to make the list!

• Global Moderator

@robert7lee That god damn Blitzball! or "How Lotias lost his will to live trying to win the cup". Its almost like its impossible to win the cup, I mean like if you manage to score in the last game, the NPC becomes like "Super mega goku epic blitz mode" and you couldnt win

• Global Moderator

@Haru17 its not like saying that at all. I'm saying good games get remembered. It's why we'll see both MGS1 & MGS3 much higher up the list.

You can bookmark that quote for later too :)

• alt text
    75. Overwatch (2016) - 75 Points - 7 Votes - Highest Vote: #8 Alex840

Developer: Blizzard Entertainment
    Publisher: Blizzard Entertainment
    Genre: First person Shooter
    Platform(s): Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 4, XBOX One

In the near future of our world, an uprising of artificially intelligent robots led the United Nations to form Overwatch, an international task force of the best and brightest "scientists, soldiers, adventurers, and oddities" in order to combat the threat. After the war, Overwatch was dedicated to peacekeeping and scientific progress, and became a symbol of hope around the world. However, many years of controversy and waning influence came to a head when the UN launched an investigation into alleged human rights violations, which was shortly thereafter followed by an explosion that claimed Overwatch HQ and the lives of two of its most prominent members. This led to the disbanding of the organization. Now a number of heroes from a variety of organizations and walks of life have come together to fill the void Overwatch left.

Overwatch is a first-person shooter in which two teams of six players each battle to complete objectives or hinder their opponents from doing such. Playable heroes are divided into four classes based broadly on the role they are meant to play: offense, defense, tank, and support. Each hero has their own unique abilities and gameplay mechanics, and players can switch to a different hero mid-match in order to better aid their team. Objectives are different on each map, and can include overseeing the delivery of a payload object to a specific location, capturing or defending specific areas of the map, or a combination of the two.

Other Votes: DeweyDecibel (26.), Nillend (30.), Exist 2 Inspire (27.), SabotageTheTruth (14.), Inustar (20.), Karu (17.)

Links:
    Wikipedia
    Mobygames
    Gameplay on Youtube

alt text
    74. Deus Ex: Human Revolution (2011) - 76 Points - 5 Votes - Highest Vote: #2 Exist 2 Inspire

Developer: Eidos Montreal
    Publisher: Square Enix
    Genre: Action role-playing, first person shooter, stealth
    Platform(s): Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 3, XBOX 360, Wii U, OS X

In a near future dominated by chaos, conspiracies and biomechanical augmentations, society is divided by various organizations fighting for supremacy, and large corporations extending their power beyond those of governments. An ideological war is growing between people who accept the biotechnological progress and people who fight it. A human revolution is coming. Adam Jensen is a thirty-four-year-old ex-SWAT member from Detroit, enrolled by a powerful biotechnology company named Sarif Industries. His job is to ensure the scientists' private security and safeguard the secrets of the company's projects. The first day after his hiring, Adam Jensen is about to attend a meeting with David Sarif, the founder and CEO of Sarif Industries, when suddenly a red alert is issued in the company laboratories. A troop of mercenaries, apparently working for Belltower Associates, breaks in and kills several scientists. After having neutralized some of the mercenaries, Adam is severely injured by one of them. He has no choice but to be enhanced with biomechanical augmentations to save his life. His goal is now to discover what were the motivations of the attackers, and unravel a greater conspiracy behind their actions.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution is the third game in the Deus Ex series. The events of the game take place in the year 2027, twenty-five years before those described in the first game. Like the first installment, the game is a hybrid of 3D shooter with a stealth angle and role-playing. All styles of play can be adopted to succeed in the missions, from a totally furtive mode (some bonuses are granted in case the player character hasn't been detected during the whole mission), to the most brutal one. The player's decisions may have an impact on the storyline.

Other Votes: NCartwright15 (21.), DanteThePyro (29.), jipostus (13.), MCRMJ (14.)

Links:
    Wikipedia
    Mobygames
    Gameplay on Youtube

• Of COURSE Overwatch is here! I think this is the highest numbered voted game to appear so far with 7 votes. Just goes to show the polish and popularity the game has. After the retrospective, Human Revolution looks like an interesting game, but I've had my fill.

@Lotias Actually its not as difficult if you know the system: Get the Jecht Shot on the boat, and when the game comes, play keep away as much as possible and get the ball to Tidus. You'll only get one, MAYBE two shots per half, so you need to make them count. Once I figured that out, I've won it on the first try the last few times I've played the game. You are right though: Luca Goers at that point ARE "Super mega goku epic blitz mode." And they SUCK!!

• 75. Overwatch
    Wastes great characters on a MP only game, which is something I have no interest in.

74. Deus Ex: Human Revolution
    One of the very few games where I prefer the german dub, Jensen's english voice just doesn't sits well with me. Also one of the very few multiplat games where I find that the Wii U version is superior, thanks to the gamepad which makes the hacking more fun.

• @Musou-Tensei I agree the german dub for Human Revolution is really good, i'm so used to the english by now though that i haven't played Mankind Divided in german yet!

• Fellow allies, I have a hard time keeping up with the new releases of @Exist-2-Inspire for the TOP 100, but here is my take on the ones I have just read:

85 - The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess: I'm expecting te see most of the mainline Zelda games on this list, I nominated some as well, but I didn't vote for this one, because I personally like some other entries more.

84 - Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3: I'm happy it got on the list, I expected P3 to be a little higher, it really deserves a lot of recognition, it is my first game of the Persona series I have ever played and really love it.

BUT I nominated some other Shin Megami Tensei games who I feel need some more recognition, so I didn't vote for P3. But thank you to @SabotageTheTruth, @bard91 and @FF7Cloud !!!

For anyone who doubts its legitimacy on this list, P3 simply takes every element that makes Shin Megami a revolutionary series, and improves upon its charm. It's not just about its astounding RPG environment, but that special care in the relationship between NPC 's, main and secondary characters as well!

83 - Hotline Miami: Awesome game, I love both the original and its sequel, I just had so many other games I wanted to nominate, but good job fellow allies for getting it on the list this high!

82 - Undertale: I'm still playing it and really enjoy its fun style and take on the genre, it is just to early for me to consider it for a nomination on a top 30 list, and I think its impact on gaming and the RPG genre is a little overestimated, but I respect the allies who nominated it!

81 - Zone of the Enders: The 2nd Runner: This is the first entry on the list which I haven't nominated but feel bad for not voting on it.

I loved ZOE II so much back in the day, I even started collecting the anime of ZOE. I bought the game on release in 2003, I was so hyped because I could play a mecha action title produced by one of the greatest geniuses in the games industry, Hideo Kojima, sprinkled with beautiful anime style cutscenes, AND IT DELIVERED! Everything the first game was not, and far more. Not only did the developers correct, expand and improve upon every aspect, they made one of the most utterly perfect synergies of gameplay, direction and storytelling that I've ever witnessed.

I'm ashamed I didn't vote for it myself, so thanks @Lotias, @DanteThePyro, @Joetown and @jsackel for nominating it, love and respect :heart:

80 - Dark Souls III: I haven't played it yet myself, but the universal recognition it has gotten from fans and critics alike makes me wonder why it isn't even higher on this list!

79 - Mass Effect 3: One of the better RPG's made not in Japan, but I think ME 2 deserves more recognition than the third one, certainly because you also need to buy DLC to get the ending the series deserved, which is NOT okay in my book!

78 - Silent Hill 2: Silent Hill 2 is one of the scariest games on PS2, the atmospheric gloom is incredible and it has a great soundtrack!

It deserves some nominations, good job @Sheria, @Churchy and @SabotageTheTruth, but I never expected it to be this high up!!

77 - Final Fantasy X: FFX, where do I start, one of the Final Fantasies I have spent the most time with and absolutely enjoyed. I wanted to vote for it so bad, but I just love the PSX-era Final Fantasies even more, so it didn't make my list in the end.

Still, this game is the reason most of us actually went out and bought a brand-new PS2! The strength of the story, it really is underappreciated I feel, the battle system and the combination of clever dialogue and some impressive visuals at the time it got released, makes it A MUST PLAY, certainly with the remaster edition, and I feel it got a nice place on this TOP 100 list, so thank you @Brannox, @Nillend, @SabotageTheTruth and @jipostus !!!

76 - Half-Life: The only thing I can say about one of the most important games created and released in gaming EVER, is that I am surprised it only got to place 76 on this list!

75 - Overwatch: I haven't played it yet, but I feel for a multiplayer-only game released not too long ago, its importance and relevance on a TOP 100-list can only be considered after a certain time has passed since its release, but I respect the voters, they must have had a blast with Overwatch.

74 - Deus Ex: Human Revolution: The last one I need to comment on, but certainly not the least one!

This game revitalized the Deus Ex franchise on its own, which is impressive considering a lot of its fans didn't like the second entry. I have nominated another game of the series, so I decided not to vote for this one, but that doesn't mean I think anything less of Human Revolution.

Thank you @Exist-2-Inspire, @NCartwright15 , @DanteThePyro, @jipostus and @MCRMJ !

Love & Respect :purple_heart:

• Please make sure to listen to this as you read and respond to this list.

• I keep wondering if/where my number 1 is going to place. With every post, I'm relieved to see it not rank so low.. but what if it didn't make it? What if the greatest game ever created gets no respect? That's a world with a very bleak future.

• Global Moderator

I didn't vote for Overwatch just because that one still feels a bit too soon for me but I reckon it'll make it next time we do a vote.

• @BlazingBahamut First off, WOW what a post. Second, YES on your points for FFX! and finally Love & Respect to you also!!

@TokyoSlim Yes. Just Yes. I wonder make it mandated listening material. Hmmmm....

@SabotageTheTruth As long as my number 1 makes it, I'm fine. Top 10 is where I want it, Top 25 is where I hope it is, Top 50 is where I expect it. And now that I've said that, it'll be in the next batch.

• @SabotageTheTruth Honestly, I'm almost certain that not even 10 games from my list will make it to this one. Even my number one. Hopefully there will be place for it between all Zeldas and Marios and other Nintendo games that are bound to occupy the top, but I doubt it.

• @Nillend Oh I know for a fact HALF of mine WON'T. But it's cool: What makes this so great is I get to see every one else's. I know what games I like, but it's a LOT better to know what games are held in high regard by others.