The EZA Top 100 Videogames!

• @SabotageTheTruth Honestly, I'm almost certain that not even 10 games from my list will make it to this one. Even my number one. Hopefully there will be place for it between all Zeldas and Marios and other Nintendo games that are bound to occupy the top, but I doubt it.

• @Nillend Oh I know for a fact HALF of mine WON'T. But it's cool: What makes this so great is I get to see every one else's. I know what games I like, but it's a LOT better to know what games are held in high regard by others.

• @Nillend If a Zelda game doesn't take top spot (probably Ocarina), I'd assume Chrono Trigger will probably be there. Unless all of us are excellent trolls and ranked Knack at number one.

• @SabotageTheTruth Oh crap, I didn't think of that :frowning: I'm now legitimately worried.

• Don't worry. It wasn't me. I've never even played Knack (The Game of the Generation)

• Hmm. I didn't vote for a single Mario or Zelda. They just haven't played any role in my gaming life, even if they're great games, like they are.

• The Real question is... where is The Witcher III?

• @Sentinel-Beach I voted for two Marios, but they were not super high, Zelda hasn't had much effect on me either (I usually think they are a bit overated tbh)

• CoD4 Modern Warfare - The first CoD I've ever played and put so much time into.

Kingdom Hearts II - I'm happy this made the list. It's a game I claim to be one of my all-time favorites and I think it's the first game I beat as a kid.

Dragon Quest VIII - I have fond memories of watching my sister play this.

Metal Gear Solid 2 and 4 - I wish my 6th-Grade self wasn't too intimidated by these games. I ended up watching full walkthroughs of both of them instead.

Persona 3 - I love this game. Even though it's #84, I'm just super glad it's on here.

Undertale - I felt like such a poser for liking this game's characters and music because I never played it.

Zone of the Enders: The 2nd Runner - YYYEEEEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!!

Dark Souls III - I will play this eventually.

Overwatch - I haven't played this game in 2 months. I was hoping to get back into it when Ana was released but still have not found the time. Maybe I'll jump back in when Sombra gets added.

• alt text
    73. Halo 2 (2004) - 78 Points - 5 Votes - Highest Vote: #9 DanteThePyro, Pyro

Developer: Bungie
    Publisher: Microsoft
    Genre: first person shooter
    Platform(s): Microsoft Windows, XBOX

In the sequel to Halo, Spartan-117, better known as the Master Chief, has returned to Earth, where he is promptly needed: despite all precautions taken, the Covenant have discovered the location of humanity's homeworld and are launching their attack. For some reason, however, their fleet is much smaller than expected. To solve this mystery, the Chief must return to the stars, learning more about the mysterious Halo rings and their constructors. Meanwhile, the Covenant Elite who commanded the fleet at the Halo construct is blamed for the destruction of the ring and branded a heretic. The High Prophets grant him another chance, however: he is made the Arbiter, a special operative for the Prophets, ordered to carry out impossible missions. He will be dealing with dissent and rebellion among the Covenant - a conflict where he might find himself to be on the wrong side.

The player controls both the Chief and the Arbiter in Halo 2, a first-person-shooter in the same style as the first game. Its main gameplay characteristics are the same: only two weapons can be carried at a time (leading to a tactical choice as to which are to be taken), instead of a standard health points system there is the recharging energy shield (leading to an emphasis on finding cover during firefights), AI-controlled teammates will fight along the protagonist, and there are lots of sections involving vehicles.

Other Votes: NCartwright15 (14.), Haru17 (19.), MiserablePerson (26.)

Links:
    Wikipedia
    Mobygames
    Gameplay on Youtube

alt text
    72. Katamari Damacy (2004) - 79 Points - 4 Votes - Highest Vote: #6 Inustar

Developer: Namco
    Publisher: Namco
    Genre: Puzzle, Action
    Platform(s): PlayStation 2

The King of All Cosmos accidentally destroyed the stars and—having recovered—wants the prince to rebuild them. Unfortunately the prince stands a little less than half a foot tall, so recreating the stars will require some effort. Enter the Katamari, a sphere the prince can push around our world to “roll up” items increasing the Katamari’s size until it’s suitable for the King. Taking place in stylized versions of Japanese houses, cities, and environs, the prince pushes the Katamari around collecting items which adhere to it. At first, the prince can only pick up smaller items, but as the Katamari grows, the more it can collect. Push pins and paper clips cling to the Katamari increasing its size so it can roll over obstacles and pick up bigger items. Over many levels, the Katamari can eventually pick up people, cars, and other bigger items.

*Players steer the Katamari from a third-person perspective using the analog sticks on the PS2. A tutorial stage takes the player through the controls and sets up the story as well as introducing a side story about a Japanese girl who can feel the cosmos. Wanting to challenge the prince, the King sets requirements on the Katamari’s size and sets time limits on the level. Bonus missions restore constellations and have their own restrictions. *

Other Votes: jsackel (23.), Karu (9.), Tokyo Slim (7.)

Links:
    Wikipedia
    Mobygames
    Gameplay on Youtube

• 73. Halo 2
    Great FPS with some repetitive level designs.

72. Katamari Damacy
    I love Katamari but this one was never released in europe, I got it now on PSN but havn't gotten around to play it yet.

• Between the two newest entries, I can only speak on Halo 2. I understand the appeal of this particular Halo, introducing another protagonist, being more cinematic, and of course, the birth of Xbox Live. I think the only thing that really holds this back is the abrupt ending, but its not so terrible. It's remaster in the Master Chief Collection was my introduction to the game, although I played every main Halo, including Reach and 4, before it. With Halo 2 here, I expect to Halo 3 somewhere well down the line.

• Totally respect Halo 2 for what it did, I just liked/played Halo 3 more so that's what made my list. Have unfortunately never played Katamari.

• My second game on the list!

Katamari Damacy was, when it was released, a revelation. Utterly charming, incredibly original. The mechanics are simple enough to immediately learn, but mastering it takes some time. It also has, in my mind, one of the all time greatest soundtracks to any game ever.
    Youtube Video

• Very happy Katamari made the list. One of my favorite PS2 games.

• @Exist-2-Inspire Misspelled Katamari Damacy

"72. Katamari Demcay (2004)"

• Halo 2 is the worst of the Bungie Halos. Glad to see that nobody voted it higher than 9th.

Bungie wasted most of their development time on an engine that the Xbox couldn't run, had to rush the final product, and it shows.

The beautiful high-detail textures and ambient lighting effects of Halo 1 - gone.
    The straightforward storytelling of Halo 1 - gone.
    The balanced, deep multiplayer of Halo 1 - gone.

The cliffhanger ending of Halo 2 is the least of its problems...

The level designs in both campaign and multiplayer, with a few exceptions, are a mess.

The AI doesn't get smarter on higher difficulties, just stronger, to the point of completely unfair on Legendary.

The weapons are unbalanced, with the Energy Sword and Carbine pwning all, while the Shotgun, Sentinel Beam, and Magnum do zilch.

The multiplayer is mechanical and repetitive. The only reason people have fond memories of it is because it was the first on Xbox Live - nobody would've cared about Halo 2 if XBL had been ready for Halo 1 (something we may NEVER get).

The Havok animations are stiff and ugly, and the decision to make the Warthog destructible was a big mistake.

They got it right the first time, and not once since!

• The "straightforward storytelling" of Halo 1 was one twist, and escape sequence, and we're out.

• @Haru17 said in The EZA Top 100 Videogames Countdown!:

The "straightforward storytelling" of Halo 1 was one twist, and escape sequence, and we're out.

And it worked, unlike the dueling protagonists, cavalcade of supporting characters, jumping to random locations, and complex politics of 2. It's the Phantom Menace of Halo.

• I don't mean to be snarky, but if you couldn't follow the plot of Halo 2, I don't think narrative critique is quite your thing. It's just... not that involved.