The EZA Top 100 Videogames!

• @TokyoSlim said in The EZA Top 100 Videogames Countdown!:

I'm now 99% sure that my 30th pick did not make the list.

@TokyoSlim, that goes for a lot of us, certainly if you know the amount of different games we picked, more than 553 :) .

• @BlazingBahamut yeah, my list is mostly heavy hitters though. I fully expect to see many of them represented. Number 30 was kind of under the radar niche though. Was just curious to see if anyone liked it as much as I did. ..

• Western... filth? ;)

• @Nillend said in The EZA Top 100 Videogames Countdown!:

Congrats @Exist-2-Inspire for this amazing feat.
    I haven't played any of these three games, but I see why they made a list. I will probably check out Transistor, though i don't think it's a game for me particularly.
    I missed New Vegas and I feel no need to catch up to it, especially after fallout 4.
    Modern Warfare seems to get a lot of love, especially with upcoming remaster. If port turns out to be good, I may jump into it. Damn, so many great shooters coming out this year.

Looking forward to the next pack of games.

L&R

@Nillend, you should really give New Vegas a try, this was made by Obsidian, it has great morally challenging choices and different factions, and ways to play it, if that is what you appreciate in these kind of games! But I can understand if you are burned out on Fallout as well.

• This is so cool! Thanks for doing this Exist

CoD4 is 100?? I'm guessing no one else had the first CoD in their top 10 :D

• alt text
    97. Secret of Mana (1993) - 58 Points - 3 Votes - Highest Vote: #6 Axel

Developer: Square
    Publisher: Square
    Genre: Action RPG
    Platform(s): SNES, FOMA 903i/703i, iOS, Android

Long ago, people lived in harmony with the natural world and used the power of Mana to help their nations grow. But when evil forces took control of the Mana Fortress, seeking to use it to conquer the world, a terrible war began which destroyed much of civilization but brought peace to the world once more. Over the long years, the events of the past became but legends to the new generations of humans. But history repeats itself.One day while exploring a forbidden valley near his village, a young boy finds a rusty sword stuck in a stone. He does not realize that this is the Mana sword of legend, used in the great war of the past. By drawing the sword, the boy unwittingly summons hordes of monsters, and is expelled from his village for breaking the ancient taboo. A mysterious knight Jema who is passing through the area recognizes the sword and gives him instructions for the future. First, he must repair the sword, and then, with its help, take control of the Mana seeds which can be found hidden around the world to prevent them from falling into evil hands.

Secret of Mana is an action RPG, featuring real-time hack-and-slash style combat, in which up to two computer-controlled companions can accompany you. The protagonist has a stamina gauge: the more stamina he has, the more powerful his strike is. The player also has access to a growing arsenal of spells with various effects. It is possible to upgrade weapons, armor, and magic to higher levels.

Other Votes: DanteThePyro (20.), Musou Tensei (9.)

Links:
    Wikipedia
    Mobygames
    Gameplay on Youtube

alt text
    96. The Witness (2016) - 58 Points - 3 Votes - Highest Vote: #3 DeweyDecibel

Developer: Thekla, Inc.
    Publisher: Thekla, Inc.
    Genre: Puzzle
    Platform(s): PlayStation 4, XBOX One, Microsoft Windows

The Witness is a first-person adventure game with a strong focus on puzzles and it is set on an abandoned island. It starts with an unnamed protagonist at the end of a tunnel. The exit leads to a large, uninhabited island with various modern structures. Almost immediately the island can be explored entirely and in any direction without restrictions. The small story elements are revealed indirectly, but the main goal is to regain memory and find a way off the island. Clues can often be found through elements in the environment and there are also some audio segments, usually with quotes from very different contexts, that can be found through left behind audio logs.

The main focus is the exploration of the island and solving more than 500 puzzles in different forms. No guidance or help is provided and the player has to figure out the mechanics through trial and error, logic or careful observation. The puzzle mode is accessed through a click or button, allowing the character to interact with electronic panels in the environment that usually represent a single puzzle. Most of these puzzles have a maze-like structure with a starting point and an end. A puzzle is solved by connecting start and end in a specific way. This often activates power, through cables, opening up a part of the environment or activating another panel. Through small effects or by following the cables, the effect can be traced. The general concept of the puzzles is largely the same for all of them, but many variants are introduced, such as separating maze items in a certain way, taking into account tetromino shapes, using colours and so on.

Other Votes: Alex840 (18.), jsackel (14.)

Links:
    Wikipedia
    Mobygames
    Gameplay on Youtube

alt text
    95. Ico (2001) - 60 Points - 4 Votes - Highest Vote: #10 Ringedwithtile

Developer: Team Ico
    Publisher: Sony Computer Entertainment
    Genre: Puzzle-platformer, action-adventure
    Platform(s): PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3 (as HD remaster)

Ico is a boy with horns. At the age of twelve, when his horns grew large enough, the elders send him away to be sacrificed in order to prevent evil spirits from attacking the village. Entombed in a crumbling ancient castle, Ico only manages to begin his escape when a freak earthquake shakes loose the vessel he has been locked in. Ico shortly meets a princess named Yorda, who has been imprisoned by the evil queen. The two children must explore the ominous castle, trying to find a way to escape, persecuted by the queen's shadow minions.

*ICO is a third-person perspective game that mixes action-based exploration gameplay with puzzles. The game is set almost exclusively in the castle, which consists of dozens of rooms, passages, platforms, and contraptions. Ico will run, climb, and jump his way through these environments. The puzzles in the game are physical (environmental): Ico must push and pull objects, manipulate switches, re-arrange structures, etc. *

Other Votes: tokeeffe9 (20.), naltmank (20.), Faaib (14.)

Links:
    Wikipedia
    Mobygames
    Gameplay on Youtube

• 100.Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
    The last CoD I bought, a while ago I gave it away to my CoD crazy friend for a pack of stroop waffles, and I'm sure I had more fun with those.

99.Fallout: New Vegas
    I love Fallout 3 so of course I was very excited... but nope, I can't stand this one, and still tried to play it more as maybe it needed some time, but then I pissed off Caesar, now everytime I leave a building 3 overpowered legionaries attack me, killing me in seconds, I managed to kill them once but like 10 minutes later another batch came after me, that's when I quit.

98.Transistor
    Dunno

97.Secret of Mana
    I love this game, as you can see it was my #9, wish the sequel would have been released here as well.

96.The Witness
    Don't care.

95.Ico
    Ah yeah, not for me tbh.

• Yay, glad I helped Secret of Mana make it to the list!

Funny, so far I haven't even played any of the others, Transistor and The Witness are definitely in my backlog though! Excited to see the list unfold, thanks again for doing this.

• Call of Duty 4
    I dislike the trends this game bought to both the series and FPS in general. CoD2 is my favourite, but even then, I never ranked the franchise that highly anyway.

Fallout New Vegas
    My favourite of the Bethesda titles, but still not a patch on 1 & 2 for me.

Transistor
    Never played it and I don't think it's for me.

Secret of Mana
    Love it, but not top 30 for me.

The Witness
    I really enjoyed it but its waaaay down the list when taking every game ever into account.

Ico
    Loved it, but not top 30 again.

• The way this list is progressing, with ~60~ as a minimum, I'm gonna be rul rul mad if at least one if you guys didn't put Twilight Princess in a high spot. It's quite easy to overlook Zelda titles (all sequels, really) that havr passed out of the sphere of popularity.

• @Haru17 It's not even a top 5 Zelda game. I doubt it's gonna be high on this list. Last of Us No.1, I'm calling it!

• @Haru17 Zelda will likely be on this list a bunch. The problem is, different people like different entries, so it'll split the vote. Personally, my favorite is the Wind Waker. I just really really love the ocean. But there are so many good ones, so we'll see.

One really nice thing about this list: it'll be a checklist of many wonderful games I should make a priority to play through.

• Ugh, Wind Waker people. I played that game as a child, before Twilight and after Ocarina. Guys... 7.8.

Still deserves to be on this list, but maybe in 78th place ;)

• @Haru17 I hold the same feelings for Partners in Time, so there!

• Global Moderator

Oh I didnt put ICO on my list cause I thought it would get many votes anyway.. damn xD

• @Billy But Partners in Time — all Mario & Luigi games really — is an 8. 8.5 at best.

Zelda starts with Wind Waker at 10, climbs to 11 with Ocarina, and Majora and Twilight are sitting somewhere up around 13-14.

Seriously dude, there were two good things Wind Waker added to the franchise: combat options and the deku leaf. The only game that surpasses it in terms of limited item selection is Skyward Sword, and the only game that had fewer dungeons was Majora's Mask (among 3D titles).

It's a great game, as I've said, but the story really isn't there and it just felt like a holding pattern for Zelda, turning it into a normative sandbox game.

• @Haru17 I've got it in mine! I think I went with Ocarina and Twilight trying to keep no more than 2 games per series in my list

• I'm kind of surprised The Witness and ICO made it. I'm thinking this pretty much guarantees SOTC is higher on the list...

• @Haru17 Haha, I meant I played it in the middle of superstar saga and inside story, and it's in third place among those. Yes, I love Zelda games. For me, the Wind Waker play is more about nostalgia and atmosphere. I can't say it's objectively the best, but it hit all the right notes for me.

• @Billy Alright, haha. I'll stop biting your head off about my Zelda passions ;)

@Faaip That's awesome. I oscillate between Majora's Mask and Ocarina of Time all the time. They're just such different games that my appreciation of them changes almost with my mood. And I wouldn't have the discipline to keep it down to two games per series at all. Too much of a Zelda fanboy, haha.