The EZA Top 100 Videogames!

• Alas, another two titles I can't speak towards. Kind of surprised to see the OG Starcraft, but that resolves me to believe the sequel is coming down the road. I am also surprised by Super Metroid's low placement. Makes me think Metroid Prime is also a high ranking game.

• Global Moderator

I only played Super Metroid recently and really liked it so I'm happy to see it on the list.

It's possible that playing Prime first tainted the experience a little as I did vote for Metroid Prime ahead of it. It just cleaned up a few things that bothered me in Super.

Fantastic game though. Unfortunately can't speak for the rest.

• @SabotageTheTruth I never had the pleasure to play any Silent Hill game since I don't own any PS2/PS1 and I only heard crap about the HD port of SH2/SH3 on PS3/360. I got the very first Silent Hill tough (original PS1 version) but never managed to play it more that a hour.
    I have no real excuse (I can't say I disliked it because I played it less than one hour so I don't any genuine feeling about it) and someday, somehow I will dig one of them (surely by buying a PS2 and a CRT TV) :)

• Here it is, my #1 game, Super Metroid. I would have liked to see it placed higher, but I'm confident Metroid Prime will carry the torch instead! ;)

• ah star craft a beauty from a consoleless me in the late 90's after having a nes early in my life we sold it when my family got their first pc in 1998 i was 6 years old. i started playing this game and age of empires during that time and fell in love with the genre. star craft holds a place in my heart and i still return to the game after all these years.

• Starcraft almost made my list as it met my criteria,: it must still be fun today. However, I gave my RTS nods to two other games that I hope make it further up the list.

As for Super Metroid. I've never understood the love for it. I preferred both GBA Metroid games personally.

• @Browarr You definitely should give them a shot! I can't recommend 2/3 enough, they are pinnacles of survival horror. The first hasn't aged particularly well, so I don't blame you for not trudging through it. In the very least, you can always watch a playthrough of 'em.

Super shocked to see Super Metroid not even hit the top 50. Tons of surprises in this list!

• 71. Super Metroid
    Awesome game, would have been in my Top 50

70. StarCraft
    Good RTS but I prefer C&C.

• Global Moderator

73. Halo 2
    I LOVE the Halo universe. I mean I got almost all the books, statues and have spent hours just reading about the lore. A friend of mine were in one of the top clans in multiplayer and we used to link up xboxes and spend a weekend playing 4v4 and 2v2 games. As much as I loved this, I say that 1 and 3 are better. Awesome game but I decided to put my vote on the other games.

70. StarCraft
    I do wonder how many hours I have spent on this game. However I never really got into the online scene until StarCraft 2. Blizzard really knows RTS games, but I enjoyed the multiplayed in the second game more.

• alt text
    69. Mario Kart 64 (1996) - 81 Points - 5 Votes - Highest Vote: #6 jsackel

Developer: Nintendo
    Publisher: Nintendo
    Genre: Kart racing
    Platform(s): Nintendo 64

Mario Kart 64 races eight familiar faces, including Mario, Bowser and Yoshi, on four progressively tougher four-track circuits. Wide curves and gentle banks mark the Mushroom Cup tracks. Your commute gets notably tougher on the Flower Cup, though. The player will have to dodge semis rumbling on Toad's Turnpike and bounding boulders on fogbound Choco Mountain! Star Cup tracks range from the icy surfaces of Sherbet Land to the lava lakes of Bowser's Castle. The true test of karting competence, though, comes on the four tracks in Special Cup. Zip through the dark caves and green hillsides of Donkey Kong's Jungle Parkway, cling to the sheer cliffs of Yoshi Valley and hustle over haunted Banshee Boardwalk before tackling the longest track in the game: neon-lit Rainbow Road.

The game offers two camera angles and three engine sizes: 50cc, 100cc and 150cc. You can gain even more speed by mastering the power slide technique or grabbing Super Star power-ups. Each kart has distinctive handling, acceleration and top speed capabilities. Light karts like Princess's smoothly steer through tight corners, but run the constant risk of getting flattened by heavy karts, like Donkey Kong's. Shells that you fire at rival racers, Bananas that make them skid out and Lightning Bolts that make them small and very slow are just a few of the game's unique power-ups.

Other Votes: Dogtype (23.), MiserablePerson (14.), SabotageTheTruth (19.), Faaip (13.),

Links:
    Wikipedia
    Mobygames
    Gameplay on Youtube

alt text
    68. Halo 3 (2007) - 81 Points - 5 Votes - Highest Vote: #3 Lotias

Developer: Bungie
    Publisher: Microsoft
    Genre: First Person Shooter
    Platform(s): XBOX 360

Halo 3 is the third game in the main Halo series. Like the rest of the series, it is a sci-fi/military-themed first-person shooter with an emphasis on vehicles and an extensive multiplayer mode in addition to the single-player campaign. As before, the series' signature shield system is used where, rather than health, you have a force field of sorts which loses power as you are attacked. You needn't pick up anything to refill it, only take cover for several seconds. If you can avoid being attacked, the shield will recharge on its own.

Vehicles are again present. These are human and alien transport which can be driven or ridden in with another player or AI doing the driving. Halo 3 adds numerous new types of vehicles, notably a massive mobile command center called the Elephant and a human VTOL aircraft called the Hornet. Enemies with good timing can board a vehicle, kicking out the occupant. Also as before, you are limited to one weapon in hand (or one in each hand for some of the smaller guns) and one on back-up with both human and alien weapons available. Weapons can be fired or used to club someone for a melee hit. There are several new weapons, including the gravity hammer, which is a massive hammer for one-hit kills in close combat. When using a single weapon, your second trigger throws grenades, which have a new spike type in addition to the basic sticky and frag ones from previous games. Turrets are back, which are mounted guns with a new missile pod variant and the added ability to rip them off their moorings and carry them around in 3rd person view.

Other Votes: Joetown (14.), Haru17 (20.), naltmank (27.), Hero of Lime (9.)

Links:
    Wikipedia
    Mobygames
    Gameplay on Youtube

• Another two great entries! While I haven't played Mario Kart 64 specifically, I own the DS version, I once had Double Dash. I love this franchise (but not enough to put in my top 30: Not enough friends :cry: ) and I'm happy to see it here. As for Halo 3, I figured it would rank higher than 2, but I'm kind of surprised its ranked so soon after. Either way, its a good game with, in my opinion, the series' best multiplayer (Thaz rite I says it!) with Halo 5 being 2nd. Happy to see both here!

• Global Moderator

68. Halo 3 (2007) - 81 Points - 5 Votes - Highest Vote: #3 Lotias
    As I said, I LOVE this series and I think that 3 have the most solid multiplayer which I spent hours on! Also for ME this is where the story really finished! 4 and 5 are not "real" for me! :D

Halo really spoke to me on so many levels. Futuristic, cool characters and a deep deep deep lore if you read stuff around the games. At the time I thought the graphics were some of the best I had seen and it all felt so smooth playing. The only downside are the damn flood level going after Cortana. But solid game which I have played through many many times

• 8 of my picks have shown up already... Almost at that 1/3 status! Insert smugness here.

• @Lotias First, I agree about 343's Halo: ESPECIALLY 5. That game, I view, was a trade-off: Such a deep focus on multiplayer and MLG that the campaign was such a fail. Hardly ANY Chief AND its namesake not even being present until the Legendary ending. The &^%$ !

Second, I. Hate. The Flood. Hate 'em. The mission Cortana is a personal demon I come into contact with EVERY time I play the game. (Shudders violently)

• @SabotageTheTruth *Needs proper emote

• Global Moderator

@Brannox Yeah! I mean 4 were alright and a good bit of fun, but it started to loose much of its "halo-ness". I am so glad that I only watched a playthrough of Halo 5s campaign. The story never reaches Bungies potential.

Yeah The Flood are beyond terrible! sometimes I have played halo 3 campaign up to that point, then just restart or jump over it just to avoid it haha

• Halo 3 was great and I remember being obsessed with it. I played it a ton with my cousin. I would always go to his house to play the campaign with him; after that, we hopped into online multiplayer and played it split-screen.

• @Oscillator I hear you about the locations. I really like the parallelism in Halo 2 (legit probably one of the best opening cutscenes), but if you miss a few lines then you won't understand the significance of High Charity or it getting infected with the flood. Playing 3 helped with that, I think (not for nothing, they're the same story really).

• @Haru17 said in The EZA Top 100 Videogames Countdown!:

@Oscillator I hear you about the locations. I really like the parallelism in Halo 2 (legit probably one of the best opening cutscenes), but if you miss a few lines then you won't understand the significance of High Charity or it getting infected with the flood. Playing 3 helped with that, I think (not for nothing, they're the same story really).

3 Is a far better story than 2. Not quite as straightforward as 1, but it's still pretty easy to tell what's going on. And the cinematics/setpieces are excellent.

Gameplay's better than 2 as well. Less mechanical, more free, better balanced. But it's slow, and the addition of equipment was unnecessary. Paved the way for armor abilities in Reach...ugh.

FPSes are best when they're stripped down and fast...though COD may take that too far. You have to have SOME depth...

• Checked my list again, and now I'm feeling more confident than before: I say 15 games of mine will make the list. Even if I still have just one there now. This is a console-heavy place, after all.