The EZA Top 100 Videogames!

• @SabotageTheTruth 1.) Much, much further (I hope) 2.) Ya know, the thought NEVER crossed my mind because of future ideas I have. But look what @Musou-Tensei has done (Much evil manaical laughter)

• @SabotageTheTruth Well technically we would only kill a copy of this list, this thread would stay untouched by it.

@bard91 I know
    alt text

• @Musou-Tensei We're an evil lot in the midst of such a positive community, aren't we?

• Yes! Castlevania: Symphony of the Night!

A masterpiece of level design, what a game! It started much higher on my list originally, somewhere in the Top 10, and then I don't know what happened... But I'm glad to see it represented here!

Boy do we have freaking good taste! ;)

• Youtube Video

I wish Smash 4 had the same directorial flair that Melee and Brawl did. True, it had much better trailers, but at the end of the day I still want that sick orchestral / operatic composition, and I still want to see Link fight Mario.

This stuff matters too, because Smash — perhaps more and any other — is a local multiplayer game.

• Global Moderator

Pretty surprised to see SOTN so low in the list. I only played it recently and thought it held up incredibly well even if I did know the 'twist' beforehand. So I assumed people who didn't would be blown away by that. The level design in that game might actually be unmatched. Definitely for a 2D game anyway.

• @Haru17 You summed up my main problem with Smash4, even though it's arguably my favorite in terms of gameplay (I think it blends casual and competitive well, so I can play with my brothers/friends and have more fun with them). I put melee because it's the best all around: fast, tight fighting and that siiiiiiick soundtrack

• @tokeeffe9 I played it a few years ago for the first time as well, as you say it definitively holds up. Maybe I should have considered it for my list,

• @Haru17 I watch that intro sequence every stinking time I boot up the game. Always have... I can't bring myself to skip it.

• alt text
    59. Valkyria Chronicles (2008) - 89 Points - 4 Votes - Highest Vote: #5 Tearju Engi

Developer: Sega
    Publisher: Sega
    Genre: Tactical role-playing, third-person shooter
    Platform(s): PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, Microsoft Windows

Valkyria Chronicles is a tactical role-playing game set in Europa, a fictional version of Europe, in the year 1935. At that time, the Imperial Alliance invades the Atlantic Federation of the west. Their war will soon encompass all of Europa, including the peaceful nation of Gallia. While small in size, Gallia is known for their rich deposits of ragnite ore, a powerful source of fuel and medicine. When the Galian town of Bruhl is invaded by Imperial Forces, Welkin Gunther, his sister Isara, and friend Alicia Melchiott, take up the fight against their foreign conquerors, joining the Gallian Militia, in this WWII-style game.

The player commands his forces through an overhead map, selecting units, and controlling them in a real-time 3rd person view. Taking on the enemy is done with a variety of units classes, including the Shocktrooper (basic soldier), Scout (excellent movement & sight), Lancer (anti-tank), Engineer (repair, resupply, mine defusal, and more), and the deadly Sniper.

Other Votes: DanteThePyro (7.), Sieghardt (6.), Bard91 (17.)

Links:
    Wikipedia
    Mobygames
    Gameplay on Youtube

alt text
    58. Sid Meier's Civilization V (2010) - 91 Points - 4 Votes - Highest Vote: #2 Brandon_Reister

Developer: Firaxis Games
    Publisher: 2K Games
    Genre: Turn-based strategy, 4X
    Platform(s): Microsoft Windows, Linux, OS X

Sid Meier's Civilization V is the fifth game in this long-lived series, placing the player in control of a nascent civilization at the dawn of time and challenging them to rise to global dominance, through peaceful or military means. Beginning with a single settler to found a city, players are tasked with exploring their surroundings, growing their empire, researching new technologies to aid them, and negotiating with other, rival civilizations - trading with them, forming alliances and pacts, or waging war.

While the basic concepts of this game are broadly similar to previous games in the series, some major changes have been made. Chief among these is a change from the squares-based map of all previous Civilization games to a hexagon-based system; now, moving in a diagonal offers the same movement as in any other direction (as opposed to a squares-based system, where a diagonal is strictly faster than either vertically or horizontally). In addition, religions have been removed from the game, while the policies system - allowing the player to customise their rule, gaining various perks or bonuses - has been significantly overhauled, requiring players to purchase policies with culture. Ranged units have also been tweaked, allowing archers to bombard enemy units or cities from afar.

Other Votes: DeweyDecibel (14.), Bard91 (9.), Exist 2 Inspire (8.)

Links:
    Wikipedia
    Mobygames
    Gameplay on Youtube

• Alright two games from my list, I was a little worried about CIv, so it's good to see it here, sadly I know there's zero chance for Victoria to be in here :(

• No context for either Valkyria nor Civilization, so I must wait longer to post more coherent thoughts. I'm also starting to wonder what the genre/console breakdown will the higher we go.

• Valkyrie Chronicles is a bit like XCom but you control units in third person mode. This is what I really wanted and yet I have not finished it. I like how different soldiers react to the terrain, if I remember correctly there were other factors which could increase or decrease character stats.

I lost my save file when my PC died and trying it again on Steam, still holds up today.

• Havn't played either.

• Xenogears
    An absolutely stunning Jrpg but I'm a little surprised to see it so low. I hold a certain trilogy higher actually, but I'm no longer expecting to see of them on this.

Smash Brothers Melee
    I only played Smash on the N64 and it was enough to tell that the series, or genre for that matter, is not for me. I haven't bought any more since.

Fallout 3
    I enjoyed it, but it was a disappointment coming from F1 & F2 which I loved.

Castlevania SOTN
    I bought this quite late, around 2011 if I recall correctly, I really liked it but I prefer Ecclesia.

Valkyria Chronicles
    I'm not a huge Srpg fan but this one was really good. I beat it once on the PS3 and recently just started it again on PS4.

CIV V
    Like Smash, I only ever played the original. This isn't for me so I've never played any later entries.

• alt text
    57. Age of Empires II: The Age of Kings (1999) - 91 Points - 5 Votes - Highest Vote: #2 Nillend

Developer: Ensemble Studios
    Publisher: Microsoft
    Genre: real time strategy
    Platform(s): Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 2, Mac OS

In Age of Empires II: The Age of Kings, the player takes control of one of thirteen civilizations, including the Chinese, Goths, Britons, and Vikings, among others. The player starts with a handful of villagers, through expansion and careful handling of the economy, the player can advance up to the point where powerful war machines and well trained masses of troops will be the player's to make and control.

There are three distinct ways to play, one of which the object is to hunt and kill the other player(s) king, however there are a lot of options for each, anywhere from what type of map to start on (including coastal, gold rush, arabia, and rivers) to what the maximum amount of units are allowed. The player can also play online at the Zone vs. up to seven other players, or via a TCP/IP connection.

Other Votes: benoit489 (8.), Faaip (24.), Billy (27.), MiserablePerson (3.),

Links:
    Wikipedia
    Mobygames
    Gameplay on Youtube

alt text
    56. Assassin's Creed II (2009) - 92 Points - 6 Votes - Highest Vote: #9 MCRMJ

Developer: Ubisoft
    Publisher: Ubisoft
    Genre: Action Adventure
    Platform(s): Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, XBOX 360, XBOX One, Mac OS

Desmond Miles, the last in the line of the ancient order of Assassins, has been captured by the modern-day descendants of the Templars, forced to experience past events through a device called Animus in order to obtain crucial information. However, one of the scientists unexpectedly switches sides, asking Desmond to put his trust in her hands and follow her out of the complex. Soon afterwards they escape the holding place and team up with some new allies that intend to use Desmond's knowledge against the Templars. Their new device is called Animus 2.0, an upgraded version of the original. This time, Desmond relives the life of Ezio Auditore di Firenze, a man who lived in Italy in the 15th century. Ezio is a boisterous, seemingly carefree young man who likes to pick fights and chase skirts. But all that changes when his father and little brother are publicly executed by a man he trusted. Driven by vengeance, Ezio begins to discover more about his father's life, and realizes that he, too, belonged to the organization of the Assassins. Ezio becomes a skillful assassin himself, and is ready to go all the way to avenge the death of the people he loved.

Assassin's Creed II is a free-roaming action game very similar in concept and gameplay mechanics to its predecessor. The events of the game take place in Florence, Venice, Rome, and other locations in Italy. Besides fictional characters, the game has famous historical figures from the time period, such as Leonardo da Vinci, Niccolò Machiavelli, Cesare Borgia and others, who play an active role in the game's story. Authentic cultural and political environment of the Italian Renaissance is represented in the game along with fictitious accounts of the events, alternate history, and metaphysical theories.

Other Votes: Exist 2 Inspire (24.), Karu (14.), Lotias (18.), Sentinel Beach (18.), benoit489 (11.),

Links:
    Wikipedia
    Mobygames
    Gameplay on Youtube

• ~ ~ lol ~ ~

• Oh Ezio, my Ezio <3

• I have not played AoE, but I have some experience with Assassin's Creed. Funny enough, just not with II. I played the first and wasn't inspired to get the sequel. Played III because Native American during the Revolution? Sweet! Then I played the game. Not so much. I got IV strictly for being a pirate. In other words: I'm not an AC fan, but I also respect II being the consensus best of the series, so its presence on the list isn't shocking.

• 57. Age of Empires II
    Never played.

56. Assassin's Creed II
    The last AC game I've played, surely a big improvement from the 1st but after it I just don't feel the need to continue playing the series, while the story was of my interest (I love the conspiracy shit) and the gameplay itself good, I didn't care much about the characters and the mission structure.