The EZA Top 100 Videogames!

• The greatest highlight in AC II (and in Brotherhood too) for me was the setting! Renaissance Florence and Venice were so atmospheric i was totally immersed into the world. The OST was excellent too!

• Age of Empires II... whew, I spent so many hours with that game, I'm a little ashamed that I didn't include it. Great to see it represented here though.

• AoE2 makes perfect sense to me, but Assassins Creed is really surprising, the game is fun but I would never consider them for my list even at their best.

• Was never a huge AoE guy, but it did spawn Age of Mythology, which I did play a ton of growing up.

• @Exist-2-Inspire Well, AC2's soundtrack was composed by the main man Jesper Kyd!

• alot of discussions here finally a couple ive played .

age of empires 2 was a game i put alot of time into in the early 00's when i didnt have a console same as starcraft alot of good memories

assassins creed 2 while not my favriote in the series ezio was a once in a life time character and we got to see his whole life

• @Churchy The AoE2 soundtrack showed up in my itunes when I had the disc in my computer. My friend and I used to listen to it driving haha

• Very surprised to see Valkyria Chronicles here, especially so high. I never realised it was that popular, it's making me curious to try it (after Ben's review of the HD remake already tempted me).

Very cool to see Civ V and Age of Empires 2 represented in there as well, strategy is not my favorite genre so I can't speak for those games much, but they do seem to be the best in their respective categories (turn-based and real-time). Aaaaand I just realised I forgot to put one game on my list: Age of Wonders (1 or 2). Man I loved that game!!

And finally, happy to see some love for Assassin's Creed, after the last few games it seems like everyone has turned their back on the franchise, so it's nice to know that a couple lacklustre episodes didn't overshadow the accomplishments of the previous games.

• Global Moderator

Also gonna add that Assassin's Creed 2 were my first Platinum trophy! Once I had finished the story I just had a couple of collectibles left, so did that in like 40 min with a guide and BOOM! :D

• alt text
    55. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City (2002) - 94 Points - 5 Votes - Highest Vote: #3 Sentinel Beach

Developer: Rockstar
    Publisher: Rockstar
    Genre: Action Adventure
    Platform(s): Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 2, XBOX, OS X, iOS, Android

Tommy Vercetti is a gangster who just got off a fifteen year prison sentence for not squealing on his friends. Because he didn't rat out his "family", Tommy's sent to work with Sonny Forelli, his old boss. Sonny gives him an easy drug job, but everything goes wrong, and Tommy loses everything. Upon returning to Sonny, he gets mad and wants his money back. Unfortunately, everybody in Vice City, from gangsters and Cubans to bikers and politicians are in his way, and it's up to Tommy to clear a path.

Grand Theft Auto: Vice City offers the same free-roaming driving and action gameplay style as its predecessor, but in a new setting based on the city of Miami. The game includes all the features of the previous installment and builds upon them. There are new cars in the game, reminiscent of typical vehicles from the 1980's. Some cars are earlier models of the vehicles from GTA III. A few missions also involve the protagonist navigating a boat. New to this installment is the ability to drive motorcycles. Tommy can drive a variety of two-wheeled vehicles, from huge Harley-esque bikes to dirt bikes to a standard motorcycle. Flying is also a bigger part of the game, as the player can fly small planes and helicopters, traveling from area to area, landing on helipads on top of towering skyscrapers.

Other Votes: BlazingBahamut (9.), Browarr (15.), Exist 2 Inspire (18.), Divinity (16.)

Links:
    Wikipedia
    Mobygames
    Gameplay on Youtube

alt text
    54. GoldenEye 007 (1997) - 95 Points - 7 Votes - Highest Vote: #10 Oscillator

Developer: Rare
    Publisher: Nintendo
    Genre: First Person Shooter
    Platform(s): Nintendo 64

The name is Bond. James Bond. The famous hero of Ian Fleming's novels returns in this first-person shooter, which is based on the movie of the same name. Agent 007 and his friend Alec Trevalyan (a.k.a. Agent 006) were sent to Soviet Union on a secret mission. But everything goes wrong, James Bond barely escapes, and his friend is presumed dead. Ten years later, a mysterious organization named "Janus" appeared. Commanding a new satellite called "GoldenEye", the organizations attempts to steal money electronically from banks, deleting all evidence of transfer. It's up to our Agent 007 to venture to Soviet Union once again, and to put an end to Janus' ambitions.

In this 3D action game the player controls James Bond from a first-person perspective, using a variety of weapons (from knuckles to grenade launcher) to eliminate his foes. However, many parts require the player to be careful, to stay unnoticed or to snipe guards from distance, since they will react to his presence and alarm their comrades. The game is divided into missions, and in most of them Bond will have to perform other tasks besides killing his enemies: disarm bombs, take pictures of important evidence, or avoid killing scientists. The game features a multiplayer mode with a variety of options, and three difficulty levels. Higher difficulty means, besides having to deal with tougher enemies, additional objectives needed to be fulfilled in order to successfully complete the level.

Other Votes: jsackel (24.), Churchy (16.), Dogtype (11.), MiserablePerson (17.), Musou Tensei (15.), Lotias (29.)

Links:
    Wikipedia
    Mobygames
    Gameplay on Youtube

• Wow, I got the highest vote with Vice City! That game was pure gold. And it was such a MAJOR turning point in my gaming life, like really the first adult game I got. (And obviously, I myself was still too young at that point. We've all been there. :P ) I played it over and over again and simply couldn't get enough of its world. Ok, I have to confess that I didn't get to play GTA III ever, so the whole new concept of these "new" GTAs hit me for the first time in Vice City. I was so blown away by it all. I had never seen anything like it before.

And the soundtrack. Unbeatable. Unbeatable. <3

• @Sentinel-Beach I would say that GTA: SA is better gameplay wise, but Vice City has story and soundtrack superior to all other GTA games.

• All the PS2 GTAs are fantastic: GTA III has the "first time" factor! The first time i saw that game it blew my freaking mind similar to Half-Life and FFVII a few years before. Never in my life had i seen this type of freedom and scale, it was amazing.

Vice City has the whole 80's Vibe going, probably the best Protagonist in the whole series and a masterful Soundtrack, the inclusion of Motorcycles was also a huuge thing!

San Andreas has the huge scale, everything was huge in this game. I remember that i went through brutal heartbreak when this game came out and i remember that i played it with a good buddy and my brother for weeks straight every day for 10 hrs or more probably. It really helped me back in the day! Great memories!

The whole Trilogy is one big Masterpiece imo!

• 55. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
    VC was actually the 1st 3D GTA I've played, great game.

54. GoldenEye 007
    One of my favorite FPSs, nice to see others like it as well.

• Ah Vice City.. that was one of the games my parents didn't want me to play haha. In highschool we hid an emulator of it in the school's file share system so we could play it at lunch/during class, etc.

• I can't believe I forgot to put Goldeneye on my list!

• alt text
    53. Kingdom Hearts (2002) - 96 Points - 7 Votes - Highest Vote: #6 Brannox

Developer: Square Enix
    Publisher: Square Enix
    Genre: Action RPG
    Platform(s): PlayStation 2

Sora's world is shattered when a violent storm hits his home, and he is separated from his two closest friends. The storm scatters the three to unknown worlds. At the same time, there is turmoil in the Disney Castle. King Mickey is missing, and Court Wizard Donald and Captain Goofy are out to find him. On their travels they meet Sora, on his own search for his lost friends. The three are told of ominous creatures called Heartless, being without hearts derived from an unknown dimension and are the ones responsible for the devastating storm. The Disney villains, enticed by the power of darkness, manipulate the Darkness to help them gather the princesses of heart, who are needed to open a mysterious final door. Upon discovering the link between the Heartless, the storm, and the disappearance of King Mickey, Sora, Donald, and Goofy join forces and help familiar Disney heroes to save their worlds from the Heartless.

In Kingdom Hearts players step into the very large shoes of Sora, wielder of the keyblade. Sora can attack with the blade, and as he levels up he will gain more attacks that are automatically chained together. Sora can learn magic and put healing items into a quick menu, and both can only be used in real time. Donald and Goofy (as well as an additional character exclusive to each world/disney movie) will follow Sora. Their equipment and AI can be adjusted, but they can not be directly controlled. Defeated enemies will drop many kinds of items including synthesis materials. Sora can take these to the Synthesis shop in Twilight Town to turn them into usable items, accessories, and weapons.

Other Votes: Lotias (11.), Inustar (7.), Exist 2 Inspire (17.), FF7Cloud (18.),

Links:
    Wikipedia
    Mobygames
    Gameplay on Youtube

alt text
    52. Resident Evil (Remake) (2002) - 98 Points - 6 Votes - Highest Vote: #1 Tearju Engi

Developer: Capcom
    Publisher: Capcom
    Genre: Survival Horror
    Platform(s): GameCube, Wii, Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, Xbox 360, Xbox One

Special forces S.T.A.R.S. Bravo team's helicopter malfunctioned and crashed during their mission, disappearing into the Arklay Mountains. This and what happens to them is told in the story of Resident Evil Zero. Now, S.T.A.R.S. Alpha team is sent on a mission to investigate a series of murders around Raccoon Forest. Spotting the Bravo team's helicopter, or what's left of it, they land nearby and investigate the surrounding area. Unaware of what they might expect, one member is attacked and devoured by zombified dobermans. The rest of the team, with a little bit of luck, find shelter in a nearby mansion, not knowing it was probably better to stay out. You play the entire game with one of the two selectable characters, Chris Redfield, or Jill Valentine. The starting point is the lobby of the mansion the three surviving S.T.A.R.S. members just stepped in. After a short while, the team decides to split and search for any possible survivors or anything useful that may help them break out of this dreadful place. To their amazement, they encountered an enemy they never were trained to confront, zombies. There is only one mission to be considered now: survival.

The GameCube and the later Wii versions are largely a remake of the original Resident Evil for the PlayStation, with some additions. While the floorplan of the returning locations is almost entirely unchanged, several new areas have been added in, extending your stay in the mansion. A new enemy, Lisa, has been added to the game, making your trips outside of the mansion much more dangerous. Finally killing a zombie is now no longer good enough to put them to rest. They must be destroyed totally with fire or else they will rise again; faster, deadlier, and madder than before.

Other Votes: MCRMJ (27.), Musou Tensei (21.), Sheria (16.), DanteThePyro (19.), Churchy (4.)

Links:
    Wikipedia
    Mobygames
    Gameplay on Youtube

• Global Moderator

55. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
    I havnt played this SUPER much, but I remember playing it with a friend over a weekend and having a lot of fun!

54. GoldenEye 007
    Now THIS, THIS is splitscreen multiplayer! I remember a bunch of us running home to my mates house after school. We prepared sandwiches and stuff to drink, then we played this splitscreen for hours until my parents called me home for dinner! This have been playing over weekends and evenings growing up. To this day there are not many games that have reached this standard.

53. Kingdom Hearts
    I remember getting this in christmas present from my parents. At the time I was like "wait what? ...disney and RPG?" As I hadnt heard of it before I wasnt sure what to think. Later that evening I poped it in and oh boy... Just that intro made it fall right into my heart (lol). I thought it was soo cool and I think that I had a little crush on kairi xD
    Going between the worlds solving the puzzles were fun and I leveled up quite a lot. However, I didnt finish it until I was in like high school.

It feels like a lot of my entries have showed up now, Im starting to get worried if I will have any in the top! (except for my nr.1 game which I will be surprised if it doesnt show up in at least the top 10).

• I thought Goldeneye would place way higher, top 30. Very surprised to see my 10th place vote be the highest. At this rate, I'm worried that the top 20 will be all JRPGs...

Anyhoo, GE has atmosphere in SPADES. Those skies. That fog. Those muzzle flashes. That MUSIC. The Norgate/Kirkhope/Beanland soundtrack hits it right out of park:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLWBMXiOj3o
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHcjzWsDVnk
    Youtube Video

The gameplay is no slouch either. Revolutionary game, proved that FPSes could work on consoles. Only it's own sequel, then Halo after, have been able to eclipse its purity, its tightness. And boy, did it give meaning to those four controller ports! ^_^

• @Oscillator The Top 20 has 5 JRPGs! ;)