The EZA Top 100 Videogames!

• @Sentinel-Beach Oh believe me, there will be enough surprisee along the way, this is nothing! :P

• @Exist-2-Inspire Is Zelda considered to be an JRPG?

• No, it's not! I catagorize Zelda under Action Adventure

• @Nillend The idea of Zelda as a JRPG has always bewildered me.

• There's been some bewilderment already in some people's reactions concerning a game's ranking, so after that tease from our dear host here I'm expecting full shock along the way from people from now on. (Not excluding myself.)

And uuh, we'll reach the top 50 tomorrow. High stakes!

• Global Moderator

@Sentinel-Beach said in The EZA Top 100 Videogames Countdown!:

And uuh, we'll reach the top 50 tomorrow. High stakes!

alt text

• Only 5 :/

53. Kingdom Hearts
    Great JRPG.

52. Resident Evil (Remake)
    The best version of Resident Evil and even the original GC version holds up pretty well today. This is how you remake.

• This is going to be long so I would like to apologize in advance.

I did NOT have a great day today, so my thoughts may be skewed, and this when we first see Red Dead Redemption 2 and the Nintendo Switch for the first time. I will post my thoughts on those in the other thread. But on to the four recent entries.

I am STUNNED all four are so low. Carrying expectations into lists such as these is indeed folly, but I couldn't help myself thinking some games would be really up there. Vice City, GoldenEye, and Resident Evil are thought FOR SURE would be top 20 entries EASY. I don't like GTA or Resident Evil in general and my experience with Goldeneye is incredibly minimal, so my thoughts are non-existent. But it is Kingdom Hearts I wish to discuss.

I did not know much about this game for a long while after it released. I was turned on to it overhearing some classmates on the playground as it were discussing a strategy about some tasks you need to do in Wonderland. I asked what they were talking about, and they told me: Kingdom Hearts. I little while later, I was in a Wal-Mart and remembered them talking about it. It was $20, had Disney characters on the cover and the guy on it was holding a key FOR A SWORD. Now my 5th/6th grade mind was BLOWN.

As evidenced by the info above, this is my third entry and not only that, the second where I have the highest vote. You can clearly tell what kind of games I like. I find the fusion of Final Fantasy and Disney to be BRILLIANT (albeit ludicrous, but c'mon, that's part of the fun!). I can't tell you how much this game means to me, though, you can clearly see I have five others in just so slightly higher regard.

I'll never forget I COMPLETELY screwed up my first playthrough (Didn't get far into Monstro before I backed out, went to Halloween Town instead of Atlantica, and couldn't defeat the Oogie Manor with a Level 43 Sora who chose a staff and sacrificed the sword and answered the questions for a slow level up.) That's different now :joy:

For a long time, I preferred the second over the original. Now, there's something about KH One that I like more. I can't put my finger on it. As I said above, story wise, II has the best sequence and better worlds, but maybe its the keyblade roster, or nostalgia for that sense of wonder. Or it could be that Olympus Coliseum, the FIRST iteration, is my favorite overall KH world because of the tournaments.

EDIT: Also, super bummed that it fell SO SHORT of the top 50. Oh well. And a massive shout-out to @Lotias , @Inustar , @Exist-2-Inspire , and @FF7Cloud . Yous good people :-D

God I love this game.

• Damn, some people are super into Kingdom Hearts. Lol :)

• @TokyoSlim Yup ;-)

• Global Moderator

@Brannox Just wanted to say that I hope your day tomorrow gets better than today <3

Also, your text about Kingdom Hearts filled my heart with joy! Love & Respect

• @Lotias Thank you for the kind words! As such, it already has!

Love & Respect to you as well!

• it wasnt on my list but any chance birth by sleeep get into the top 50

• @FF7Cloud I don't know, but I would LOVE it. Birth by Sleep is great.

• @Brannox I get how you feel, but I'd say every game that even makes it in this Top 100 is a winner. There's so much diversity in our votes that the fact a game was mentioned by 4-5 of us is already an achievement in itself.

The way everyone experiences and appreciates game depends on so many factors other than the game's objective quality.

I made a list of MY 30 favorite games ever, not THE 30 best games ever. My list would have been way different otherwise. I do not actually believe Secret of Mana is the 6th best game ever made, very very far from it. But it ranked 6th on my list because of nostalgia, what it represented for me at the time, the memories I have of the friends I played it with, the soundtrack that stayed with me to this day, etc.

And the fact that my vote helped it make this list and will maybe convince one or two other Allies to give this game a try is enough satisfaction for me.

So my point is, you represented Kingdom Hearts by placing it 6th, you expressed the love you feel for it, and helped it make it onto the list for everyone to see. So Kingdom Hearts won.

I don't see this list as a competition in any way, more as a "EZA-recommended" list that we can all consult for years to come to find out about gems we might have missed.

So don't be bummed, be proud it made it! ;)

• @Axel First and immediately: Yes! I said this in the other thread: I LOVE discussions around top X games lists because it broadens horizons; gives opinions a platform as to why some games should have a seat at the table, so to speak.

Second: As did I. I didn't do a top 30 overall, but mine. If I did the former, most of my list would be games I don't really like, so that kind of takes the fun out of it.

Third: All we can do, at the end of the day and the heart of what makes this thread so awesome, is represent our passions and talk with others about why we love what we love.

Fourth: In no way have I seen this as a competition. The opposite actually: This is a celebration. I have ZERO reservations my favorite game will be number 1. AT. ALL. I can't remember (and I'm too lazy at the moment to comb through 374 posts of this thread :laughing: ) where I've said it, but I will say it again: I hope it's top 10, I'm happy it will be top 25, I'm expecting it makes top 50.

Fifth: I AM proud that I'm not alone in being such a fan of the game, but I stand by it: Three spots away from top 50! OH so close. Like tripping down the final stretch. But again: Happy it's here.

Love & Respect <3

• Global Moderator

@Axel Yeah I really like this list as it feels like we all have "voted with our hearts" rather than "this should be on the list!".
    I am so happy that at least one of my games made it onto the list (even though its a few now) but it could so easily have been any other game that took its place.

I also love how positive the vibe around this whole list is! everyone shares their memories or get interested in playing games that appear. I feel like once this list is done it almost should be presented as "100 games the EZA community think you should play before you die"-kinda thing.

We are now close to the halfway point I get more and more excited for each entry! SO much better to present it like this rather than just put the whole top 100, which you would of just scrolled by until the top!

Love & Respect <3

• @Brannox As for me, I know my top two games won't appear on this list, at least it's highly unlikely, but I put them there because I love those games. All the games I put on my list are there for a reason. I didn't put games I haven't played, or games I personally didn't like on my list for the reason of "It's a classic, therefore it must be on a top games list".

• @Brannox said in The EZA Top 100 Videogames Countdown!:

Fourth: In no way have I seen this as a competition. The opposite actually: This is a celebration. I have ZERO reservations my favorite game will be number 1. AT. ALL. I can't remember (and I'm too lazy at the moment to comb through 374 posts of this thread :laughing: ) where I've said it, but I will say it again: I hope it's top 10, I'm happy it will be top 25, I'm expecting it makes top 50.

Love & Respect <3

It's #2 on my list. I personally see it in the top 10.

• @Sheria The only reason why I don't expect it in the top ten is because of the other two highly loved entries. But that's fine, because it shows the passion behind them, which to you @jipostus encapsulated what makes this list so special.