The EZA Top 100 Videogames!

• @Lotias Thank you for the kind words! As such, it already has!

Love & Respect to you as well!

• it wasnt on my list but any chance birth by sleeep get into the top 50

• @FF7Cloud I don't know, but I would LOVE it. Birth by Sleep is great.

• @Brannox I get how you feel, but I'd say every game that even makes it in this Top 100 is a winner. There's so much diversity in our votes that the fact a game was mentioned by 4-5 of us is already an achievement in itself.

The way everyone experiences and appreciates game depends on so many factors other than the game's objective quality.

I made a list of MY 30 favorite games ever, not THE 30 best games ever. My list would have been way different otherwise. I do not actually believe Secret of Mana is the 6th best game ever made, very very far from it. But it ranked 6th on my list because of nostalgia, what it represented for me at the time, the memories I have of the friends I played it with, the soundtrack that stayed with me to this day, etc.

And the fact that my vote helped it make this list and will maybe convince one or two other Allies to give this game a try is enough satisfaction for me.

So my point is, you represented Kingdom Hearts by placing it 6th, you expressed the love you feel for it, and helped it make it onto the list for everyone to see. So Kingdom Hearts won.

I don't see this list as a competition in any way, more as a "EZA-recommended" list that we can all consult for years to come to find out about gems we might have missed.

So don't be bummed, be proud it made it! ;)

• @Axel First and immediately: Yes! I said this in the other thread: I LOVE discussions around top X games lists because it broadens horizons; gives opinions a platform as to why some games should have a seat at the table, so to speak.

Second: As did I. I didn't do a top 30 overall, but mine. If I did the former, most of my list would be games I don't really like, so that kind of takes the fun out of it.

Third: All we can do, at the end of the day and the heart of what makes this thread so awesome, is represent our passions and talk with others about why we love what we love.

Fourth: In no way have I seen this as a competition. The opposite actually: This is a celebration. I have ZERO reservations my favorite game will be number 1. AT. ALL. I can't remember (and I'm too lazy at the moment to comb through 374 posts of this thread :laughing: ) where I've said it, but I will say it again: I hope it's top 10, I'm happy it will be top 25, I'm expecting it makes top 50.

Fifth: I AM proud that I'm not alone in being such a fan of the game, but I stand by it: Three spots away from top 50! OH so close. Like tripping down the final stretch. But again: Happy it's here.

Love & Respect <3

• Global Moderator

@Axel Yeah I really like this list as it feels like we all have "voted with our hearts" rather than "this should be on the list!".
    I am so happy that at least one of my games made it onto the list (even though its a few now) but it could so easily have been any other game that took its place.

I also love how positive the vibe around this whole list is! everyone shares their memories or get interested in playing games that appear. I feel like once this list is done it almost should be presented as "100 games the EZA community think you should play before you die"-kinda thing.

We are now close to the halfway point I get more and more excited for each entry! SO much better to present it like this rather than just put the whole top 100, which you would of just scrolled by until the top!

Love & Respect <3

• @Brannox As for me, I know my top two games won't appear on this list, at least it's highly unlikely, but I put them there because I love those games. All the games I put on my list are there for a reason. I didn't put games I haven't played, or games I personally didn't like on my list for the reason of "It's a classic, therefore it must be on a top games list".

• @Brannox said in The EZA Top 100 Videogames Countdown!:

Fourth: In no way have I seen this as a competition. The opposite actually: This is a celebration. I have ZERO reservations my favorite game will be number 1. AT. ALL. I can't remember (and I'm too lazy at the moment to comb through 374 posts of this thread :laughing: ) where I've said it, but I will say it again: I hope it's top 10, I'm happy it will be top 25, I'm expecting it makes top 50.

Love & Respect <3

It's #2 on my list. I personally see it in the top 10.

• @Sheria The only reason why I don't expect it in the top ten is because of the other two highly loved entries. But that's fine, because it shows the passion behind them, which to you @jipostus encapsulated what makes this list so special.

• alt text
    51. The Walking Dead: Season 1 (2012) - 96 Points - 6 Votes - Highest Vote: #11 Sentinel Beach, Joetown

Developer: Telltale Games
    Publisher: Telltale Games
    Genre: Graphic Adventure
    Platform(s): Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, XBOX 360, XBOX One, Android, OS X, iOS, Kindle Fire HDX, Ouya, PlayStation Vita

The game is set in the United States at the start of a zombie outbreak. It takes place in the original universe but does not rely on characters or locations from the comic book or the TV series. Instead it tells a parallel story through a new character Lee Everett, but some original comic characters such as Glenn and Hershel make a cameo appearance throughout the series. The main protagonist Everett was a professor at the University of Georgia who was convicted for murder when he came home one day and found his wife cheating. In a fit of rage he murdered the man and was convicted. At the start of the game Everett is transported to prison, but the car crashes and that way he manages to escape. His main concern is then to flee from the zombies and he plans to travel to Macon where his parents and brother live. He soon meets a small girl called Clementine whose house has been overrun by zombies and he takes her along. Afterwards he meets many more characters and travels to different locations. Much of the game is spent on the emotional bond with Clementine and how Everett chooses to carry her through the hostile environment.

Other Votes: Churchy (13.), Axel (21.), Brandon_Reister (17.), Divinity (13.)

Links:
    Wikipedia
    Mobygames
    Gameplay on Youtube

alt text
    50. DOOM (including Ultimate DOOM) (1993) - 100 Points - 8 Votes - Highest Vote: #10 Sentinel Beach, Tokyo Slim

Developer: id Software
    Publisher: GT Interactive
    Genre: First Person Shooter
    Platform(s): MS-DOS, Sega 32X, Atari Jaguar, SNES, PlayStation, 3DO, Sega Saturn, Acorn Archimedes, Game Boy Advance, Xbox 360, iOSXbox 360, Xbox One

The Union Aerospace Corporation has been experimenting with teleportation technology on Mars' moons Phobos and Deimos. After early successes, something goes wrong. It seems the scientists have opened a gateway straight to Hell. Phobos base is overrun with demonic creatures, and the whole of Deimos simply vanishes. A squad of marines is sent to Phobos, but all except one are quickly slaughtered. It falls to the surviving marine to grab some guns and strike back at the demons.

id Software's follow-up to their genre-defining Wolfenstein 3D, DOOM is another first-person 3D shooter: full-on action seen from the space marine's perspective. Like Wolfenstein, the game consists of distinct episodes, playable in any order. The first episode, Knee-Deep in the Dead, takes place in the Phobos base and is freely available as shareware. The full game continues on Deimos in The Shores of Hell and culminates in Inferno, the final episode which takes place in Hell itself (the Sega 32x version lacks this episode). The basic objective in each level is simply to reach the exit. Since dozens of enemies stand in the way, the only way to get there is through killing them. Switches and buttons must be pressed to advance at certain points and often color-coded locked doors will block the way - matching keycards or skull keys must be found to pass.

Other Votes: NCartwright15 (27.), tokeffee9 (26.), TechnoRage1127 (24.), Inustar (21.), SabotageTheTruth (17.), Brannox (13.),

Links:
    Wikipedia
    Mobygames
    Gameplay on Youtube

• Interesting to see The Walkind Dead here and so high, but definitively worth it in my mind, Doom seems like a no brainer.

• Global Moderator

Pretty shocked to see REmake outside the Top 50 but also happy to see that Doom is 50 itself. No doubt one of the most influential games of all time and still holds up to this day.

• Hell yeah, Doom! The last fps I can say i was actually competitively good at!

I used to spend hours logged into DWANGO from the computer lab at school, playing LAN death matches, and trying out new .wad files. Then some a-hole decided to invent jumping and I was never good at FPS games ever again.

• Also, I'm glad many of you don't see this as a competition. Makes it easier for me to win!

• Seriously everyone, when Christmas rolls around, boot up a copy of DOOM and celebrate the holiday right. I honestly can't picture Christmas without it anymore.

Yep, it's a good thing this isn't a competition because I have 13 of my picks listed and would be crushing everyone. But y'know, not a competition. At all. Nope.

• I played Doom II and quite liked it, but Quake I absolutely pwns it.

• Age of Empires II
    Spent a lot of hours with this. I don't really like the setting myself, but the game was just so good that I'm glad I made the impulse purchase when it came out. Sadly I lent the jewel case and CD to a friend and never saw it again. I picked up another about 10 years later, but for a long time I simply had an empty big box on my shelf.

Assassin's Creed II
    I did get the platinum in this game, but only because I was going through a bit of a competitive spell with a friend at the time. I like AC, but it never did a whole lot for me. I actually like the original more than this game. The first AC was the only one where I felt like an actual assassin, planning and executing proper assassinations. I just don't have much interest in history at all. It was the modern day aspects that intrigued me most in the series.

Vice City
    My favourite GTA, with London just behind it. It's simply the setting and music really, I just love the era.

Goldeneye
    I put so much time into this, Unlocking 007 mode was just soooo satisfying when I finally did it. (F-you Natalya in "Control") The best thing about this game for me though was just the way it handled single player. Very few FPS' I had played at the time that had you checking off mission objectives and then having extra exploration required when ramping up the difficulty.

Kingdom Hearts
    Oh I <3 KH. I like the original characters and story more than the Disney stuff; that just gets in the way for me now. BBS is my personal favourite, but the plot will never be too convoluted for me. Bring it on KH3 and any spinoffs they care for.

Resident Evil Remake
    One more game from my list. I simply adore it, but there is a game in the series I hold higher. I completed both the original and Remake so many times, even getting the platinum once more in the HD Remaster. I actually ranked this along with the original on Saturn/PC and PS1 as I actually find both equally enjoyable to speedrun and play over.

The Walking Dead
    It didn't impress me. I've never watched the show myself, but the adventure genre is my all time favourite and has been ever since my Atari ST days. Point and Click adventures just do it for me, but despite being a fan of Telltale for their bringing back of Sam and Max. Monkey Island and of course their take on Back to the Future, TWD was more a choose your own adventure than it was a traditional P&C game; it had removed one of my favourite aspects of the genre, that being the inventory puzzles.

Doom
    What is there to say? It's Doom lol. Awesome game.

• Wow, I got the highest votes with both Walking Dead and Doom. Nice to see Lee and Clementine make the list, but to be honest, I expected Doom to rank higher. Like in top 30, maybe. Well, this just makes things whole lotta more interesting (again)!

BTW, Walking Dead should have 6 votes written in there, not 5.

Also, a nice detail: Doom in place #50, and it's the first game here to break the hundred point line.

• Ultimate Doom has a 4th Episode: Thy Flesh Consumed. That blurb is only accurate for Vanilla Doom.

• @Sentinel-Beach said in The EZA Top 100 Videogames Countdown!:

Wow, I got the highest votes with both Walking Dead and Doom. Nice to see Lee and Clementine make the list, but to be honest, I expected Doom to rank higher. Like in top 30, maybe. Well, this just makes things whole lotta more interesting (again)!

If people put Doom on their list, it will be Doom 2. I'm not surprised by the rank myself.