The EZA Top 100 Videogames!

• Such lamentation! We're only HALFWAY!! AND we were promised plenty of surprises! Nobody should lose hope for many games.

• Global Moderator

When will Knack appear? :)

• @tokeeffe9 right after Kojima reveals himself

• 51. The Walking Dead: Season 1
    The main game was pretty good, but the Add on kinda sucked imo.

50. DOOM
    Sure it's an important classic and I don't dislike it, but tbh I can't say I would put it even in my Top 100, but that goes for most pre-free look FPSs. Infact the genre only became actually interesting to me in the N64 era with Turok and GoldenEye.

• Another revelation, The Walking Dead season 1 came out in 2012?. I still remember it winning GOTY and it doesn't seem that long ago. That's scary.

Tried it, couldn't get into it. There was a stealth section and it was just so restrictive, I wanted full control of my character. Same will all telltale games, I don't enjoy not being able to take full control during action sequences.

Never been a fan of QUick Time Events.

• The Walking Dead invalidates most of the praise piled upon it just 3 episodes in.

• the walking dead: i played it it was ok i guess not a big fan of that style game

and you guys can lynch me now ive never played the origional doom

• No lynching from me.

• Global Moderator

I don't want to sound like a sour old dick, but the Telltale games have never spoken to me. I dont really want to call tham much of a game. Instead it is just storytelling in my book (lol). QTE with options, I dont know...

• alt text
    49. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (2015) - 100 Points - 5 Votes - Highest Vote: #3 Alex840

Developer: Kojima Productions
    Publisher: Konami
    Genre: Action-adventure, stealth
    Platform(s): Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, XBOX 360, XBOX One

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain is a third-person action game with a focus on stealth and the final game in the Metal Gear series. Canonically it is the fifth game in the series, but it is the eleventh main installment overall. It is the sequel to Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes released the year before and a prequel to the original Metal Gear. The gameplay borrows and expands upon most of the mechanics introduced in Ground Zeroes, which was a smaller slice in content in anticipation of this title. The game is set in 1984 with Big Boss also known as Punished "Venom" Snake as the protagonist. It takes place in Afghanistan and the border between Angola and Zaire as Big Boss seeks revenge against the Cipher group led by Skull Face who destroyed his forces and almost killed him in Ground Zeroes. At the start of the game he wakes up in a military hospital in Cyprus and is almost immediately attacked by soldiers and a strange, burning creature. Eventually he is rescued by Ocelot, he locates Kaz Miller and the trio then establishes a base to hunt down Cipher and its covert strike force XOF with commander Skull Face.

The game has a complex story with the typical long cut-scene sequences, but there are fewer and they are shorter compared to earlier Metal Gear Solid titles. Most of the gameplay mechanics introduced in Ground Zeroes are carried over. It is still an action game and stealth oriented, but replaces the linear corridor design from most earlier titles with large open world environments that offer the player unrestricted freedom for the approach. Ground Zeroes only offered a single environment, while this game has many and brings back the base building feature from Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker. To access advanced tools and weapons, Big Boss needs to complete missions for Miller so he can expand the main Mother Base. The player needs to focus on a consistent flow of the GMP currency to manage the base, research new technologies, hire soldiers and use money during missions for instance to call in an air strike. Next to merely completing missions, a Fulton technology can be used to transport back items, weapons, vehicles and even soldiers with interesting abilities to the Mother Base to use them. Soldiers can be assigned to different teams for combat, research or gathering intel. Eventually they can be sent out to complete missions on their own, providing additional GMP. A companion app on a real smartphone can be used to manage the base as well.

Other Votes: Joetown (8.), Axel (18.), Brandon_Reister (9.), Nillend (17.)

Links:
    Wikipedia
    Mobygames
    Gameplay on Youtube

alt text
    48. Metroid Prime (2002) - 101 Points - 7 Votes - Highest Vote: #4 Billy, Axel

Developer: Retro Studios, Nintendo
    Publisher: Nintendo
    Genre: Action Adventure
    Platform(s): GameCube, Wii

Long ago, a bird-like race of creatures (called the Chozo) became extremely advanced technologically, but due to increasing violence in the universe, they began to hide and live more simple lives. The planet Tallon IV was the site of one of their colonies. Years later, a meteor crashed on Tallon IV releasing the strange element Phazon into the planet. Phazon poisoned anything it came in contact with, causing the plant and animal life to either die or mutate into a hideous form. The Chozo tried to control the power of Phazon but failed. Before abandoning the planet, they were able to cover the impact crater with a temple and seal Phazon into the planets core. Now space pirates have discovered Tallon IV, moving in to study Phazon and harnessing its power. They have also began rebuilding their fortress on planet Zebes and reviving the Mother Brain, Ridley, and Kraid, all of whom were destroyed by Samus Aran. However, Samus has tracked the space pirates to Tallon IV and must now enter the planet to destroy them once and for all before they have a chance to rebuild their destructive forces...

Metroid Prime is a change from the platform-adventuring series, entering the first-person shooter genre for the first time. Players are now behind Samus Aran's visor and must use all their resources to investigate the pirate infestation of Tallon IV. Players can use Samus's beam, with missile and charge capabilities. Along the way, they must recover the bounty hunter's lost abilities like the morph ball and grapple beam, which allow them to reach unexplored areas of Tallon IV. Players must piece together the story of the fallen Chozo to figure what has happened to the poisoned planet, and prevent the pirates from using the Phazon to wreak havoc throughout the planets.

Other Votes: DeweyDecibel (21.), tokeffee (29.), Haru17 (24.), naltmank (26.), Hero of Lime (8.)

Links:
    Wikipedia
    Mobygames
    Gameplay on Youtube

• Global Moderator

49. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
    I still don't know why I havnt picked this up yet... I love the other parts in the series. With its cinematic feel, story full of so many twists to make a rope knoter jealous and music to die for this should be right up my ally. Yet I just havnt played it and I think that I should.

48. Metroid Prime
    I think that Samus seem like a cool character and I like puzzling, but I never had a gamecube so I have missed most of the Metroid games, one day perhaps, one day.

• i dislike endless waves of respawning enemies in games, next to QTE it's probably my biggest annoyance. Examples such as boss fights in Borderland 2,, COD 4 and KillZone where enemies keep coming until you pass a invisible line. Mass Effecct 2 and XCom 2 (final mission ) are also guilty of this.

Here's Metal Gear Solid 5, with its huge map and no respawning enemies. Although There is one mission where I carefully infiltrated a building and took down all the guards on the way and after a cutscene all the guards were back in place, I wasn't best pleased.

A game with 2. Huge maps and it was very polished, looks and runs great. I actually enjoy the mission structure, those last few missions were especially tense where you started with no loadout.

The PC version was also amazing.

• Now I'm seeing the meat of my list make the cut, which is always nice!

GoldeneEye 007
    Ah, GoldenEye. The game my older brother bought with the N64. He doesn't play many video games anymore, but GoldenEye is the one we still play together to this day. If you want a real blast on multi-player with that game, just go on Licence to Kill, Proximity Mines, Facility. My brother and I got so good at this mode that we developed our own meta where we knew where the spawning points where and would develop tactics into psyching each other out. But this could backfire as you could rack up a whole bunch of suicides if you weren't careful!

The Walking Dead
    One of the best told stories in gaming. End of.

Resident Evil
    I still hold this as the best game in the series and one of the best horror games ever made. Capcom recreated everything from the ground up and surpassed the original in every single way, whilst adding so much on top of that. The atmosphere and sheer dread that drips from every corner of the game is simply fantastic. And Lisa Trevor is still my most feared gaming creation. Even now at the age of 27 I find her terrifying. And because of the GameCube's relative failure in the generation, I was overjoyed when it was brought to modern platforms.

• woo Valkyria Chronicles made it at least, might be the only game from my list that does but I'm happy to see some love for it

• @Exist-2-Inspire wasn't kidding about there being surprises. For the two new entries, I'm surprised where they are, but for different reasons.

I haven't played either, for my view is strictly from a outside view. With that said, I'm surprised MGS V is on the list. I'm not saying its not a great game. My only reason for saying this is from what I've seen and heard, V wasn't highly praised for being a "Metal Gear" game. MGS gets so much love as a series and while it was critically reviewed very high, I never got the feeling, at least from a consensus standpoint, that it truly "fit" for lack of a proper term. HOWEVER, those who have played it and voted it on the list know INFINITELY more than I do, so I will defer to their judgment.

As far as Metroid Prime, I am surprised its so low on the list. This is one of the games I hear nothing but positive things about. I don't believe I've ever heard negative things about it, so seeing it in the 40s is a bit of shock. Another game I have no interest in, I'm now starting to expect the more well-recognized games from many top games' lists to state their claim.

• alt text
    47. Grand Theft Auto V (2013) - 103 Points - 6 Votes - Highest Vote: #9 Tokyo Slim

Developer: Rockstar North
    Publisher: Rockstar
    Genre: Action-adventure, third-person shooter
    Platform(s): Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, XBOX 360, XBOX One

Grand Theft Auto V takes place five years after Grand Theft Auto IV and is now set in Los Santos. It centers around three protagonists: Michael, Trevor and Franklin. New to the series is that the player can switch between the three characters on the fly. They each have different missions, lives and personalities. They also often come together, especially for heists, a complex type of mission where a large operation needs to be planned and executed by determining a strategy and hiring additional henchmen. As with previous games in the series, the gameplay involves gunfights and takes place in a sprawling, open world city where players get around by acquiring transport (cars, boats, helicopters, etc) through less than legal means. Players can roam the game world, complete story missions and partake in various illegal activities, including shooting civilians, robbing people, destruction of cars and the titular act of car theft. These lead to a wanted rating of up to five stars, sending in a police force in pursuit. Continuing to resist the police will also increase it. The wanted status is lost by getting out of sight or by spraying the car.

The game's multiplayer component is called GTA Online. It is set two months before the start of the single-player story. It allows up to 16 players (PS3 / Xbox 360) or 30 players (Xbox One / PS4 / PC) to travel around a world identical to the single-player world to complete story-driven activities, both competitive and co-operative.

Other Votes: DeweyDecibel (10.), Pyro (25.), Demmue (16.), Karu (11.), Sentinel Beach (12.),

Links:
    Wikipedia
    Mobygames
    Gameplay on Youtube

alt text
    46. Portal 2 (2002) - 104 Points - 8 Votes - Highest Vote: #7 jsackel

Developer: Valve
    Publisher: Valve
    Genre: Puzzle, platform
    Platform(s): Microsoft Windows, OS X, Linux, PlayStation 3, XBOX 360

Portal 2 is the sequel to Portal and offers the same first-person puzzle-platform gameplay. Players continue the story taking the role of the young woman Chell, who defeated the artificial intelligence computer system GLaDOS in the first game. After the events of the first game, she was placed in stasis until eventually woken up again. The sequel still takes place at Aperture Science Labs, but it is now overrun by decay and nature. Much more than in the first game, Chell moves past the clean test chambers and explores the gloomy industrial setting of the laboratory.

Just like in the first game, the gameplay is based around portals. By shooting a starting portal and ending portal at suitable surfaces, certain uncrossable gaps can be bridged. Just like in the first game, there are also many test chambers where puzzles need to be solved, using cubes, turrets, platforms and special portal tricks to gain a lot of speed. GLaDOS makes a return to tease Chell and she plots revenge for her destruction, but there are a large number of twists that make her role very different from in the first game. Chell receives help from Wheatley, a small robot who opens entrances for her and provides witty insights about the environment.

Other Votes: DeweyDecibel (15.), Alex840 (12.), NCartwright15 (26.), benoit489 (28.), Browarr (18.), Tokyo Slim (27.), Brannox (11.)

Links:
    Wikipedia
    Mobygames
    Gameplay on Youtube

• 47. Grand Theft Auto V (2013)
    My first game on the list. I'm even a little surprised I put this on my top 30 as historically I haven't loved the GTA series despite owning all of them. However, it did make it on my list because it's just so darn good. It's the first GTA game that I fully beat. Usually the grind of the GTA missions wears me down but I thought this story was compelling enough and the side missions were fun enough that the 40 hours I played always felt fresh. There is a good reason this is one of the best selling games of all time, if you haven't played it then give it a shot!

• Even more surprises!! GTA V not in the top 25?! Just when I think I have a consensus figured out about this franchise, it keeps getting shattered. Because I'm no fan of GTA, I will leave my thoughts there, but wow.

Portal 2!!! Absolutely adore this game and it is superior to the original in every way! Better story, more clever puzzles, different "environments", and the coup de grace, co-op mode. A well made game, and another in Valve's batch that needs to have a third.

@jsackel, @DeweyDecibel, @Alex840, @NCartwright15, @benoit489, @Browarr, @TokyoSlim, I salute you all in enjoying a great game with such dark humor.

Now this concludes the Aperture Science community list. Thank you for your contributions. For science. Please leave your 30 item profile sheet on the way out and don't forget to pick up your :cake:

Please ignore the spikes and flames as they are merely tools used for another test.

Thank you for your compliance.

• The points have been ridiculously close to each other with many games now, like only a one point difference one after another.

• @Sentinel-Beach And seeing MGS V beat out DOOM let me know the tie breaker: Its not number of votes, but highest overall. Either works for me, but good to know now.