The EZA Top 100 Videogames!

• I played it this past week for the first time and i agree, great game! I did not have much problems with the Visuals or the Gameplay, it holds up quite well imo (for a 13 year old game!)

• KOTOR is a great game. I haven't played it in a long time, been thinking of picking it up again.

• As I said previously, I'm not a fan of Resident Evil, though I'm not surprised that 2 is ranked higher than 1. Now I'm waiting to see where 4 is going to place, because I feel that will be the last to be revealed. As far as KOTOR goes, while I'm a HUGE Mass Effect fan and a life-long Star Wars nerd, I never played this game because I never owned an OG Xbox. I hope this gets remastered, because I would like to give it a shot someday. Happy to see it make the list.

• @Brannox It's on PC as well.

• Yeah, I played it on PC.

• Gah KOTOR 1 and 2 have been in my steam wishlist a long time. Someday I'll get around to playing them

• a couple more games in here i have never played

I tried to get into the resident evil series some time ago so i purchased the remake on ps4 and the controls are what killed it for me i just couldent adapt i may try it again when i get some free time

• Another monster post incoming! Sorry team for once again posting way too many of my dumb opinions at once!

67. Time Splitters 2 - Somehow Time Splitters completely passed by my sphere of consciousness as a kid. Looking at it right now, wow does TS2 look rad. I don't know that I'd be able to get into it these days, but I'm pretty sad that I missed this at the time.

66. Bioshock Infinite - I'm one of those jerks who wasn't super impressed with Bioshock (I was admittedly late to the party) so I actually haven't played infinite. That said, I'm pretty into the world of Infinite, and it has been on my list of games to play for a while. Hopefully I get around to it. I'm honestly happy to see Infinite here despite my feelings for this series. It deserves it. I wonder how much higher the original Bioshock will be.

65. Baldur's Gate II - What an absolute classic. Without Baldur's Gate we wouldn't have games like Dragon Age, Divinity, or Pillars of Eternity. The greatest games of all time are those which inspire other greats, and Baldur's Gate II is certainly an example of that.

64. Okami - I don't really know anything about Okami, and so I won't speak to it. Looks absolutely gorgeous though

63. Xenogears - Another jRPG I've never touched. All I've seen of Xenogears is what Huber streamed of it and it looks jolly. I'm a little surprised to this this rank above Persona 3 and Secret of Mana, and I don't think I'll ever find time to play it, but I'm glad @MCRMJ got to share his favourite game with us.

62. Super Smash Bros. Melee - Now this is a game I have put a lot of time into. The story and events were fun and I obsessively beat them all, but Smash is all about multiplayer and I have had well over 100 hours of multiplayer fun with my friends in Melee. These days I prefer Smash 4 - I think they did an incredible job balancing for both competitive and casual play - but Melee will always hold a very special place in my heart.

61. Castelvania: Symphony of the Night - Perhaps one of the prettiest games to ever exist, I sadly have never played SotN. But believe me, it is on my sort list of games to go back to because the setting, art, and acclaim are drawing me in harder than I could possibly resist. Also, there was a blindfolded speedrun of SotN at SGDQ 2016 which was hilarious and endlessly impressive. I highly recommend checking it out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clBZaz2Dryc

60. Fallout 3 - Well, here we have it: the EZA community official prefers Fallout 3 over New Vegas. Bethesda RPGs have a way of making me feel like a blank slate which I may mold more than any other RPG and I've always loved that about them. Curiously we haven't seen any Elder Scrolls games yet. I wonder which - if any - are going to be showing up as we enter the top 50.

59. Valkyria Chronicles - The blend between tactics and third-person shooting is a super cool idea. That combined with the art style, setting, and recent remaster makes me really want to pick it up soon. Happy to see it recognised here and I wonder what other tactical RPGs are going to make it.

58. Sid Meier's Civilization V (Personal Ranking: 14 ) - I'm so happy to see Civ V here. This was my first foray into the Civilization series and I was immediately hooked. After dumping 60 hours in over two weeks I had to tear myself away for fear of failing out of university. Civilization V is easy to get into and I barely scratched the surface of its depth. I can't wait to get into Civ VI; I just need to find a couple weeks where I have nothing else to do before I let myself buy it.

57. Age of Empires II - Age of Empires was never for me - I strongly prefer turn-based strategy - but I'm so happy to see strategy games get represented so well on this list so far. AoE II is an absolute classic and I know so many people who absolutely treasured it when they were growing up.

56. Assassin's Creed II - I remember seeing the trailers for the original Assassin's Creed and thinking "This is next-gen", and I had to learn everything I could about it. Finally playing Assassin's Creed I was definitely underwhelmed. The protagonist isn't particularly likable, the gameplay cycle is repetitive, and the locations - while impressive at the time - aren't particularly interesting. Then Assassin's Creed II came along and fixed so many of its predecessor's issues. This is a game I enjoyed, not one of my all-time-favourites, but it continues to bring me hope for the sequels to games that had great ideas but not-so-great execution.

55. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City - This is one of the GTAs that I missed so I unfortunately don't understand the love that surrounds it compared to others in the series. Regardless, the other PS2 era GTAs set the standard for what an open world could be. I wonder when's the next time we'll be returning to Vice City.

54. GoldenEye 007 - Classic weekend rental growing up. I had a lot of fun with this game and though I find it unplayable now I'm very glad it made this list.

53. Kingdom Hearts - I was wondering if we'd be seeing this over KHII. I can't really speak to Kingdom Hearts at all, so I won't try. I wonder if we'll see CoM or BBS even higher on this list!

52. REmake - Another game I need to play so badly. Now that I have it through PS+ I have zero excuses (other than that I don't currently own a PS4 - getting a PS4p on launch). Can't wait to hop into it and and see what it's all about.

51. The Walking Dead: Season 1 - I'm not a big fan of contemporary Telltale games, but there's no denying that TWD:S1 is a special game. A game like the Walking Dead winning GOTY from several outlets truly solidified games as an art form, and for that reason I think the Walking Dead deserves to be here.

50. DOOM - What a cool game to be #50. Especially remember CoD4 at #100. I don't have that many memories of DOOM, but all the ones I have a great memories. This game is infinitely important and I can't imagine this list without it!

49. Metal Gear Solid V - Ooo, I was not expecting to see you here above MGS2 & 4. MGSV is undeniably a good game. I never finished it because I got burnt out, but it plays better than any other game created. I played through the first 20 or so missions until I perfected them and I absolutely loved it until I just didn't anymore. I don't know; MGSV is a struggle for me. I think I still need more time to figure out how I feel.

48. Metroid Prime (Personal Ranking: 21 ) - I got Metroid Prime bundled in with my Gamecube as a kid and knew absolutely nothing going into it. I still remember putting it in for the first time and being absolutely blown away by the graphics. I didn't think they would ever get prettier than Metroid Prime and I'm still not sure if they ever will. Going through my first metroidvania with Metroid Prime was an experience. And the way metroid makes its world feel real and important is incredible (There's a pretty famous Final Bosman about it). Wow, do I want to go back and play Prime again. Thanks everyone for getting it here! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zr-UK4xchCc

47. Grand Theft Auto V (Personal Ranking: 10 ) - I adore GTAV. This is an example of an open world that doesn't need towers or a suffocating amount of objectives to give you things to do. It is simply fun to drive around, go skydiving, or play a round of golf or tennis in GTAV, and so Los Santos and Blaine County remains my favourite sandbox to hop into for an hour and play around in. The story, although it certainly has places that fall flat for me, has the right amount of levity to allow you to enjoy the world but also enough seriousness to make you want to play through the main missions. The world is absolutely beautiful and the attention to detail despite the size of the world is nothing short of incredible, and next-gen and PC re-releases added some real, meaningful improvements. To me, this is the best GTA game yet, but I have a feeling will still be seeing GTAIII later on this list, and I'm okay with that. I just can't wait to see where GTA takes us next.
    Also, @bard91 , I'm honestly curious to hear why you hate GTAV. Do you mind elaborating? L&R either way!

46. Portal 2 (Personal Ranking: 15 ) - This is the gold standard for modern puzzle games. I can't say enough good things about Portal 2. The story, aesthetic, and puzzles are all top-notch. Portal 2 somehow manages to ride the line of challenging without being frustrating and the use of very high player velocity in many of the puzzles brilliantly creates a rush for solving them. And then there's co-op which is such a jolly time. Seriously, if you haven't played the Portal games they run on pretty much every PC, go on sale on steam often, and are just amazing beyond words, so please give them a try.

45. Resident Evil 2 - Yeah, another game I need to play so badly. Will we see RE4 even higher on this list? What about the original Resident Evil? It will be interesting to see!

44. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic - Add another game to the list. Can't say a whole lot other than that I'm looking at it on GOG as we speak and goodness do I wish I had the time to play this right now. @Exist-2-Inspire playing this last week for the first time, and @DanteThePyro raving about it along side him definitely get me craving it. I've always loved the world of Star Wars more than the story told through the films, so getting to live in that universe through a game like KOTOR is pretty much all I could ever ask for.

Thanks once again to @Exist-2-Inspire and everyone else who has made this list possible. I'm having an absolute blast reading everyone's thoughts and trying to collect my own and can only imagine it's going to get even more exciting from here! L&R

• 49. Metal Gear Solid V
    Don't have it, never played, not sure if I ever will.

48. Metroid Prime
    I was very sceptical about bringing Metroid into 1st person but Retro did it right, I hope they are working on MP4 for Switch now.

47. Grand Theft Auto V
    I love all GTA games since it went 3D, V is no exception.

46. Portal 2
    Fun puzzle game with great humor.

45. Resident Evil 2
    I so wish for a RE2make, just imagining RE2 getting the REmake treatment... >w< but I'm afraid that they will just make it another 3rd person shooter.
    The original is still great though.

44. Star Wars: Knights of the old Republic
    Fantastic RPG and one of the best Star Wars games ever.

• alt text
    43. Deus Ex (2000) - 110 Points - 5 Votes - Highest Vote: #3 Exist 2 Inspire

Developer: Ion Storm
    Publisher: Eidos
    Genre: Action RPG, stealth
    Platform(s): PlayStation 2, Microsoft Windows, Mac OS

Some time during the 2050's, the world is a dangerous place as terrorists, drug czars, and outlaw states rule, using violence and subterfuge as tools in their push for global conquest. A deadly virus dubbed "gray death" is running rampant throughout the world and the only known cure is a chemical known as "Ambrosia" manufactured by the VersaLife corporation. However Ambrosia supplies are scarce and world governments, particularly the United States, carefully monitor and control who receives this cure. As protest against these events, French terrorist organization "Silhouette" bombs the historic symbol of friendship between French and American people, The Statue of Liberty. In response to this attack, the United Nations Anti-Terrorist Coalition (UNATCO) organization is formed. Building a headquarters underground at Liberty Island, its mission is to attack terrorism and maintain peace around the world. JC Denton is a nano-enhanced agent who has been primed for UNATCO service. While JC's brother Paul is already an active agent, JC is beginning his first day of service when the National Secessionist Forces (NSF) suddenly raid a supply of Ambrosia at UNATCO headquarters.

Deus Ex is a dark cyberpunk game that combines gameplay styles of first-person shooter and RPG, with elements of stealth and puzzle-solving. The player assumes the role of JC Denton, UNATCO anti-terrorist agent. Pitted against an elaborate global conspiracy, he must interact with characters, pick up weapons and complete objectives. While JC is essentially fixed within the mission-framework of the game, he can be customized in areas such as weapons, technical skills and physical prowess. Completing objectives rewards the player with skill points, which may be distributed to increase JC's proficiencies in eleven different disciplines. The player can choose to increase the damage JC inflicts with various types of weapons, improve his lock-picking or computer hacking abilities, etc. Each such discipline has four levels of proficiency.

Other Votes: jipostus (4.), Sheria (5.), Axel (5.), BlazingBahamut (28.)

Links:
    Wikipedia
    Mobygames
    Gameplay on Youtube

alt text
    42. World of Warcraft (including all Add-Ons) (2005) - 110 Points - 6 Votes - Highest Vote: #2 Lotias

Developer: Blizzard Entertainment
    Publisher: Blizzard Entertainment
    Genre: MMORPG
    Platform(s): Microsoft Windows, OS X

World of Warcraft is a MMORPG based in the Warcraft universe. The player creates a character choosing from 8 races and 9 classes. Most races start in their own part of the vast world. As the races move out from their starting locations, they can meet the other races if they choose to move out through the world. Both races and classes have unique abilities, skills, and spells to help them survive in the world.

The game offers professions for players to learn, if they want. You have the choice of 2 major professions, such as Alchemy, Herbalism, Skinning, and Tailoring, as well as the ability to have unlimited minor professions, such as Fishing and Cooking. Progressing in these skills allows you to make more things or have better results from the skills. The gameplay is similar to most other MMORPG games, where you must go out into the world, complete quests, kill monsters, and level up your character. And, as often is the case, you also will want to find, make, or buy better equipment as you go along. There are multiple levels of equipment from normal to artifact based on rarity. The player can also join various guilds and parties.

Other Votes: Demmue (13.), Karu (25.), Dogtype (9.), Joetown (16.), Browaarr (11.)

Links:
    Wikipedia
    Mobygames
    Gameplay on Youtube

• Why didn't I vote for Deus Ex? it seems like a big oversight on my list.

• Definintely! I was considering if i should disqualify every list without a Deus Ex game on it but in the end i decided against it! :P

• After creating the most recent Selective Creation thread on Shooters, I felt Deus Ex was about to pop, and lo and behold, here it is. I've never played it, but the retrospective was so enjoyable. I don't need to play it now, especially with the platforms, but I'm glad its here. As far as WoW, I'm also not shocked its here. This game is too massive, too huge in popularity not to be here. Its importance can not be understated, and because I've never played it, I'm sure others, especially those who have voted for it, can speak much better than I in explaining why it's so important.

• I thought Deus Ex was on my list, but It's not. Apparently I am an idiot.

• @TokyoSlim @bard91 You guys are killing me right now, just with two more solid votes the game could've been 15-20 spots better on the list! :sob:

• @Exist-2-Inspire Sorry. I guess you can scrap it and we can start over. Otherwise we'll just have to factor it in as human error.

:p

• Global Moderator

42. World of Warcraft
    I thought this would appear higher! (Even though I went with TBC expansion). After all WoW are one of those games that at least in my eyes defined a whole genre. I know like everquest and eve online have been out longer and still got loads of players and so on. For me however, this was how I really found MMO's to be a big thing that also seemed to blow up in a huge porportion. I started in early vanilla and played until early Cataclysm. I had played Warcraft 2 and 3 before and always liked the lore. Really getting into the world mae me fall for it. I spent hours and hours in this world, raiding and PvPing. I would also say that playing this helped me through the ruffest period in my life. Being able to shut out the world and live in Azeroth instead were something special. I could go on and on for hours about my adventures here, but I will leave it at I thought it was an amazing game and after killing Lich King I felt like the lore "were over" for me and it lost much of its charm and pride.

• I thought that Deus Ex would be much higher than this, but... Well, it's not use to cry about it now.

• @Exist-2-Inspire said in The EZA Top 100 Videogames Countdown!:

@TokyoSlim @bard91 You guys are killing me right now, just with two more solid votes the game could've been 15-20 spots better on the list! :sob:

Ooops, include me in this group. I think I had Deus Ex on a draft of my list but I forgot to include it on the one I emailed out. Textures are terrible in the game but the actual game is a masterpiece!

World of Warcraft did make it on my final list. For a long time I was embarrassed to admit that I play this game but here we are 12 years later and I'm still playing the damn thing so it must be something special right? I've 4 or 5 individual characters that have more play time than I've put into most games. I think I have well over 2,000 hours into the game. Without even realizing it, it's become a major part of my gaming life. Sadly, I now only play for about one month a year when I get the itch but for the first five years I played this game daily.

• alt text
    41. Banjo-Kazooie (1998) - 111 Points - 6 Votes - Highest Vote: #4 jsackel

Developer: Rare
    Publisher: Nintendo
    Genre: Jump N' Run, Action Adventure
    Platform(s): Nintendo 64, XBOX 360

Banjo-Kazooie's fairy tale back story is reminiscent of Snow White's. A gnarled, ugly witch named Gruntilda asks her magical cauldron who is the fairest of them all. Of course, the pot's answer doesn't please the hag: he singles out Banjo's sister, Tooty. When Tooty turns up missing, Banjo and his birdie buddy Kazooie set out to find her.

The worlds in Banjo-Kazooie are vast, and contain a variety of items to collect. Musical Notes, Puzzle Pieces ("Jiggies"), Mumbo Tokens, and Jinjoes are just some of the swag that Banjo must stuff in his backpack to complete his adventure. While some of the necessary items are simply stashed off the beaten path, others will require puzzle solving skills to turn up.

Other Votes: NCartwright15 (23.), Dogtype (17.), Oscillator (9.), MiserablePerson (11.), bard91 (11.)

Links:
    Wikipedia
    Mobygames
    Gameplay on Youtube

alt text
    40. Journey (2012) - 112 Points - 7 Votes - Highest Vote: #5 tokeffee9

Developer: thatgamecompany
    Publisher: Sony Computer Entertainment
    Genre: Adventure
    Platform(s): PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4

n Journey the player controls a robed character through a vast desert with large areas that can be freely explored in any direction. No instructions are given, but a large mountain is shown in the far distance and the character moves towards it. The game does not have a HUD and provides no clear directions. There also are no hazards or obstacles that lead to death. The goal is to guide the character through a journey. The character can be moved around and is able to whistle, as a short burst or more powerful depending on how long the button is pressed. Whistling makes a symbol appear and it is used to activate glyphs in the environment. After a while the player also learns to fly by activating floating pieces of cloth in the environment. These lift the character into the air. It is then possible to float for a short time or glide down through the sand. Once "charged", it is possible to give a few short busts while in the air. Through the journey the flying abilities improve. When moving towards a platform, the character jumps on it automatically when it is low enough. The main challenge in the game is to find a way to progress, by activating bridges or finding a route.

Other Votes: jsackel (22.), Alex840 (16.), Karu (8.), DanteThePyro (27.), Haru17 (15.), naltmank (12.)

Links:
    Wikipedia
    Mobygames
    Gameplay on Youtube