The EZA Top 100 Videogames!

• alt text
    41. Banjo-Kazooie (1998) - 111 Points - 6 Votes - Highest Vote: #4 jsackel

Developer: Rare
    Publisher: Nintendo
    Genre: Jump N' Run, Action Adventure
    Platform(s): Nintendo 64, XBOX 360

Banjo-Kazooie's fairy tale back story is reminiscent of Snow White's. A gnarled, ugly witch named Gruntilda asks her magical cauldron who is the fairest of them all. Of course, the pot's answer doesn't please the hag: he singles out Banjo's sister, Tooty. When Tooty turns up missing, Banjo and his birdie buddy Kazooie set out to find her.

The worlds in Banjo-Kazooie are vast, and contain a variety of items to collect. Musical Notes, Puzzle Pieces ("Jiggies"), Mumbo Tokens, and Jinjoes are just some of the swag that Banjo must stuff in his backpack to complete his adventure. While some of the necessary items are simply stashed off the beaten path, others will require puzzle solving skills to turn up.

Other Votes: NCartwright15 (23.), Dogtype (17.), Oscillator (9.), MiserablePerson (11.), bard91 (11.)

Links:
    Wikipedia
    Mobygames
    Gameplay on Youtube

alt text
    40. Journey (2012) - 112 Points - 7 Votes - Highest Vote: #5 tokeffee9

Developer: thatgamecompany
    Publisher: Sony Computer Entertainment
    Genre: Adventure
    Platform(s): PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4

n Journey the player controls a robed character through a vast desert with large areas that can be freely explored in any direction. No instructions are given, but a large mountain is shown in the far distance and the character moves towards it. The game does not have a HUD and provides no clear directions. There also are no hazards or obstacles that lead to death. The goal is to guide the character through a journey. The character can be moved around and is able to whistle, as a short burst or more powerful depending on how long the button is pressed. Whistling makes a symbol appear and it is used to activate glyphs in the environment. After a while the player also learns to fly by activating floating pieces of cloth in the environment. These lift the character into the air. It is then possible to float for a short time or glide down through the sand. Once "charged", it is possible to give a few short busts while in the air. Through the journey the flying abilities improve. When moving towards a platform, the character jumps on it automatically when it is low enough. The main challenge in the game is to find a way to progress, by activating bridges or finding a route.

Other Votes: jsackel (22.), Alex840 (16.), Karu (8.), DanteThePyro (27.), Haru17 (15.), naltmank (12.)

Links:
    Wikipedia
    Mobygames
    Gameplay on Youtube

• Yayyyy Banjo made it, and in a pretty good position.

Having played Journey a last week I have to say that I find it to be an odd choice, but I understand why some people may think highly of it, as it was a pretty good in its execution, but in mind it falls flat to other indy darlings like Undertale and Papers Please

• Banjo may be on the small and simplistic side by today's standards, but it might be the most well-rounded and polished game ever. Characters, world design, music, atmosphere, engine, controls, all hit the sweet spot pretty much dead-on. Even if the gameplay isn't your cup of tea, there's no way the overflow of charm won't suck you in...unless you can't stand anything that's not a greybrown gorefest.

• @Exist-2-Inspire said in The EZA Top 100 Videogames Countdown!:

When we reach the Top 50 and Top 30 i will reduce the amount of games per post too

Could you consider moving the next milestone to be, say, Top 20? Or even Top 10? I'm just thinking that going one-by-one the last 30 entries may be a little too slow-ish. It'll take a month, basically.

• @Sentinel-Beach Yep i already decided to go down to one for the Top 20! (and it won't take that long, because i'm still going to post twice per day for the most part!)

• I never owned Banjo Kazooie but I remember renting it a couple times.. I'd still like to get a copy of that to play through one day

• Omg, how did I miss Journey?! This game is certainly one of my favorites, yet I completely forgot about it. Luckily it still made it in a good position. Thx for that allies.

• I haven't played either Banjo-Kazooie nor Journey, as neither really appeals to me. However, Yooka-Laylee looks fascinating from a "Stand back and see how it does" standpoint. The list is now getting real interesting. I wonder how many more indie titles we'll get, and what the ratio is for pre and post 2000 games will be.

• Global Moderator

I was thinking of putting Journey on my list, but then as I JUST finished it (it was free on PS+) it felt like it was too fresh in my memory and I wanted some distance before I called a game up on my favourite list! I do love it by all means, but need more process time of it I think!

• alt text
    39. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (1991) - 114 Points - 8 Votes - Highest Vote: #5 Demmue

Developer: Nintendo
    Publisher: Nintendo
    Genre: Action Adventure
    Platform(s): SNES, GameBoy Advance

Recently, famine and drought have plagued Hyrule. When all seemed lost, a mysterious wizard, Agahnim, appeared, and stopped these strange happenings from occurring. But there is talk that Agahnim now rules the country with his magic, behind the scenes. And then, one night, the Princess of Hyrule, Zelda, calls out for help - and the one who hears her pleas is a young lad named Link.

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past is a top-down action game with puzzle-solving elements (similar to the original Legend of Zelda). Players assume the role of Link, and their goal is to rescue Princess Zelda and save the land of Hyrule. All combat in the game is action-oriented - the player can make the protagonist swing the sword at enemies with a press of a button, or spin the sword around for a more powerful attack by holding down the button until it is charged. Progression through the game is done by conquering a series of dungeons - each dungeon has its own special item associated with it, such as the hookshot (which latches onto a far-off object and pulls Link across) or the hammer (which can be used to flatten objects in your way). Most of these dungeons are rendered impassable until the dungeon's particular item is acquired; from there, the rest of the dungeon becomes accessible due to Link's latest new ability. The bosses of each dungeon are also themed to that level's particular item.

Other Votes: Pyro (19.), Hero of Lime (20.), NCartwright (8.), BlazingBahamut (11.), Axel (24.), jipostus (19.), Musou Tensei (28.)

Links:
    Wikipedia
    Mobygames
    Gameplay on Youtube

alt text
    38. Halo: Combat Evolved (2001) - 114 Points - 7 Votes - Highest Vote: #3 DanteThePyro

Developer: Bungie
    Publisher: Microsoft
    Genre: First Person Shooter
    Platform(s): XBOX, Microsoft Windows, Mac OS

Humanity is the midst of a long war against an alien alliance called the Covenant who have been wiping out colony after colony. You hero is Master Chief, who is given no name beyond his rank in the game itself. He is stationed on the Pillar of Autumn, a ship which, per protocol make a jump in a random direction to retreat to avoid revealing the location of Earth. They find themselves at the titular Halo, a planet-sized ring of mysterious origin and function with the Covenant on their heels. Master Chief must repel the Covenant assault and discover the secrets of Halo with the assistance of the female AI Cortana who lives in his suit and gives missions.

Halo: Combat Evolved is a sci-fi first-person shooter with considerable driving elements. Features include friendly NPCs who fight alongside the Chief, squad-based AI where enemies groups work together to flank you under the direction of a leader unit and can be demoralized by his death. They also use cover, set ambushes, etc. Only two weapons may be carried at a time: one active and one on back-up. There are five human weapons and three Covenant with distinct art styles for the two groups. Human weapons look basically like real guns and fire projectiles. Covenant are sleek and purple and fire energy. For the most part, weapons are not just left around the environment and must be procured from fallen enemies though there are supply points.

Other Votes: Pyro (23.), Karu (24.), benoit489 (4.), Brandon_Reister (27.), Faaip (15.), Oscillator (7.)

Links:
    Wikipedia
    Mobygames
    Gameplay on Youtube

• Halo was one of my first PC games, and probably the game I've replayed the most.

One day I'll get around to playing A Link to the Past.. the only main Zelda title I haven't played

• Ok, NOW I can speak a little further:

For a Link to the Past, I had the GBA version, but I never got really far. This was one of several Zelda games I've tried giving a chance. I guess Zelda just really isn't my thing. More importantly, I wonder what Mr. Bosman would think that LttP is the community's 39th best game? :smirk:

As for Halo, I have several thoughts on this. I didn't put in on my list (though it would've been in the top 50) because of my other interests, but this is a game I've played a BUNCH. I remember getting the OG version and Halo 2 under the assumption of fighting the Covenant. I then met the flood. I've said it in an earlier Halo post that I have to exercise personal demons when going through the Library. I quit Halo for years when I found out the flood came back in Halo 2. It took some good friends of mine to get me back into the series and now I own Halo's 1-5 (1 and 2 in Master Chief Collection form), Reach, and ODST (Never played nor want to play Halo Wars 1 or 2 though. OR the mobile games).

I also think its funny how Halo is now represented THREE separate times on this list. Lot of Halo fans in the EZA community ;-)

To everyone that has listed Halo, Halo 2, and/or Halo 3 on their lists, I salute all of you. You know a solidly built shooter :-D

Also, I notice this entry is OG Halo; Not Anniversary nor Master Chief Collection. That goes for the others as well.

• It will be interesting to see which game gets the most separate votes from the allies. Meaning, "it's on everyone's list". Has there been two-digits yet? I've seen a bunch of games getting votes from 8 different people. Soon, I think, there will have to be a constant stream of games with a dozen supporters behind them, at least etc.

Edit. Ok, so there were 44 voters in total, checked the first post.

• Global Moderator

38. Halo: Combat Evolved (2001)

as @Brannox I got LOADS of experience with this game. I got it on PC on my birthday and I spent pretty much everyday that summer playing it from start to finish and loving it SO much. Even though the Library must be one of the most terrible levels in a game ever. I didnt know a FPS could be so deep and impactfull until I played that.

As I have mentioned in other posts, I kept my list to 1 game per franschise so I had to put this off Im affraid, but SUCH an epic game that everyone should play

• A Link to the Past didn't even rank in the top 20? Wow. I'm loving all the surprises this list has to offer!

• 43. Deus Ex
    Deus Ex isn't as good as everyone's rose-tinted glasses make them think it is. It is a great touchstone of the form but it is far from the pinnacle. :^)
    No but seriously, I think it's overrated.

42. World of Warcraft
    I don't play MMOs.

41. Banjo-Kazooie
    Great collectathon 3D platformer, I'd love to replay it on XB1 (Rare Replay) but I don't find the time.

40. Journey
    Not for me.

39. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
    A great action adventure and my 2nd favorite Zelda game.

38. Halo: Combat Evolved
    My 1st Xbox game as it came with the system, great FPSs from a time when FPSs began to become very stale to me.

• ok i can comment on some of these

A link to the past the first game on this list i think thats older then me i played it about 4 years ago when i got it and a snes for 15 bucks at a yard sale i played it but after playing the newer entrys i just didnt find it that great. minish cap is my favriote 2d zelda.

banjo kazooie a great game i just love its sequel alot more i may be the only one that does though im not expecting it on the list at this point

halo i played it just a year or so ago shooters arent my thing but i did enjoy the open level design witch was differnt from alot of fpss

• Ew, you listed Gearbox's PC version of Halo (the version that Anniversary & MCC are based on) right next to the Xbox version... >_<

http://www.halobugs.com/

Getting back to the GOOD version, holy cow. Going from Perfect Dark on N64 to Halo a year-and-a-half later was beyond mindblowing. Ultra-high detail textures. Uncompressed music and voice acting. Intelligent squads of enemies. Bump mapping. Water shaders. Sun rays. Glow effects. Complete vehicle physics. Giant maps. Near cinema-grade cutscenes. Rock solid weapon balance. This was truly the next generation of gaming.

http://halo.bungie.net/projects/halo/asset_thumb_viewer.aspx?cc=25&at=59&page=0

• How is #5 the highest someone put The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past ? I thought that this game would be in the top 10 overall as it's often considered the best Zelda game of all time (not my favorite but I can understand why it would be).

• Its interesting that we haven't seen any #1's yet (aside from RE I think). I'm wondering when they'll start to show up or if we all picked a lot of the same #1's