The EZA Top 100 Videogames!

• A Link to the Past didn't even rank in the top 20? Wow. I'm loving all the surprises this list has to offer!

• 43. Deus Ex
    Deus Ex isn't as good as everyone's rose-tinted glasses make them think it is. It is a great touchstone of the form but it is far from the pinnacle. :^)
    No but seriously, I think it's overrated.

42. World of Warcraft
    I don't play MMOs.

41. Banjo-Kazooie
    Great collectathon 3D platformer, I'd love to replay it on XB1 (Rare Replay) but I don't find the time.

40. Journey
    Not for me.

39. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
    A great action adventure and my 2nd favorite Zelda game.

38. Halo: Combat Evolved
    My 1st Xbox game as it came with the system, great FPSs from a time when FPSs began to become very stale to me.

• ok i can comment on some of these

A link to the past the first game on this list i think thats older then me i played it about 4 years ago when i got it and a snes for 15 bucks at a yard sale i played it but after playing the newer entrys i just didnt find it that great. minish cap is my favriote 2d zelda.

banjo kazooie a great game i just love its sequel alot more i may be the only one that does though im not expecting it on the list at this point

halo i played it just a year or so ago shooters arent my thing but i did enjoy the open level design witch was differnt from alot of fpss

• Ew, you listed Gearbox's PC version of Halo (the version that Anniversary & MCC are based on) right next to the Xbox version... >_<

http://www.halobugs.com/

Getting back to the GOOD version, holy cow. Going from Perfect Dark on N64 to Halo a year-and-a-half later was beyond mindblowing. Ultra-high detail textures. Uncompressed music and voice acting. Intelligent squads of enemies. Bump mapping. Water shaders. Sun rays. Glow effects. Complete vehicle physics. Giant maps. Near cinema-grade cutscenes. Rock solid weapon balance. This was truly the next generation of gaming.

http://halo.bungie.net/projects/halo/asset_thumb_viewer.aspx?cc=25&at=59&page=0

• How is #5 the highest someone put The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past ? I thought that this game would be in the top 10 overall as it's often considered the best Zelda game of all time (not my favorite but I can understand why it would be).

• Its interesting that we haven't seen any #1's yet (aside from RE I think). I'm wondering when they'll start to show up or if we all picked a lot of the same #1's

• @Faaip #1s so far in the TOP 100:

• Super Metroid (Axel)

• Fallout: New Vegas (Browarr)

• Dragon Quest VIII (Divinity)

• The Legend of Zelda: TP (Haru17)

• Mass Effect 3 (Inustar)

• Xenogears (MCRMJ)

• Resident Evil Remake (Tearju Engi)

• @Exist-2-Inspire Oh oops haha. Well then I guess I'm just looking forward to the bulk of #1's :D

• As far as #1's go, I'm interested to see what games, if any, get the multiple number one picks.

• alt text
    37. Diablo II (2000) - 115 Points - 5 Votes - Highest Vote: #3 Demmue

Developer: Blizzard
    Publisher: Blizzard
    Genre: Action role-playing, hack and slash
    Platform(s): Microsoft Windows, Mac OS

Knowing well that Diablo's spirit could never be truly destroyed, the hero of Tristram made the noblest sacrifice of all: he took the spirit of the Lord of Terror into himself, hoping that his strength of will could contain the demon within. He was wrong. Diablo's essence corrupted him, gradually taking over his human nature. He has turned into the Dark Wanderer, a mysterious being whose every step causes destruction and death. A nameless adventurer visits the Rogue Encampment and decides to help its inhabitants by slaying monsters surrounding the area, and eventually pursuing the Dark Wanderer himself.

Like its predecessor, Diablo II is an action role-playing game. The player may choose between five available characters classes: Amazon (a rogue-like class with ranged attacks), Necromancer (can summon undead and inflict status ailments), Barbarian (a powerful melee fighter who can dual-wield weapons), Sorceress (offensive spellcaster), and Paladin (fights with shields and can cast support spells). Much of the game takes place in randomized dungeon-like areas heavily populated by enemies. Unlike the previous game, the environments are not restricted to a single dungeon and include variously themed locations, each with its own town and quests.

Other Votes: NCartwright15 (12.), Axel (7.), DanteThePyro (8.), blakynt (10.)

Links:
    Wikipedia
    Mobygames
    Gameplay on Youtube

alt text
    36. Shenmue (1999) - 116 Points - 6 Votes - Highest Vote: #1 Churchy, Demmue

Developer: Sega AM2
    Publisher: Sega
    Genre: Action-adventure, Role-playing, Life simulation, social simulation
    Platform(s): Sega Dreamcast

On a November day when the snow turned to rain, Ryu Hazuki arrives home just in time to see his father killed by Lan Di, a man Ryu's father obviously knew very well. Ryu attempts to stop Lan Di, but is effortlessly beaten to within an inch of his life. After recovering from his injuries Ryu sets out to track down his father's murderer, as well as uncover his family's secrets and the mystery of the Phoenix and Dragon mirrors that Lan Di seeks.

Shenmue is a hybrid game that incorporates elements of adventure and fighting with light role-playing. The game is set in a 3D environment that can be freely explored by the player. Much of the gameplay involves talking to Ryu's friends and the various people around town, hoping to find hints or clues that lead to the next step in the story. Any details Ryu learns are written down in his notebook for future review. Ryu can buy items from stores or try his luck with capsule toy machines, but most items that can be bought have no purpose outside of filling his inventory. Ryu can also visit an arcade and play accurate versions of Hang-On and Space Harrier, as well as games like darts and pool.

Other Votes: jsackel (20.), Sieghardt (13.), Sheria (7.), Tokyo Slim (28.)

Links:
    Wikipedia
    Mobygames
    Gameplay on Youtube

• @Lotias glad to see so many of us had the PC version. I never had an Xbox so I bought this game as soon as I got my laptop for college. Kinda glad it wasn't in steam because I don't want to know how much time I sunk into it.

• @Brannox There you go with the first one with multiple #1, it would be really cool if the did a remaster of Shenmue or something, it seems like something worth looking into but hardly accesible.

Well deserved for Diablo 2 as well.

• Another two games I've never played nor have any interest in. I think we're now seeing a healthy mix of mainstream games that a casual gamer would know and hardcore players as well.

@bard91 Fascinating that it's Shenmue. I have never understood its appeal, but I respect the fact that's loved. Mr. Huber would be HYPED to see it here, but I'm thinking he might be a bit bummed out to find it only place 36th overall :-P

• I put 4 Dreamcast games on my list. Shenmue is one of them.

One of them has no chance of being on this list.

• HELL YEA SHENMUE AWWWW YYEEAAA PARTY HARDY

• alt text
    35. Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door (2004) - 119 Points - 6 Votes - Highest Vote: #5 Haru17

Developer: Intelligent Systems
    Publisher: Nintendo
    Genre: RPG
    Platform(s): GameCube

A thousand years ago there was a city. One day the city was buried. Another city was built on top, and all that remains of the previous city is a door. This is where the title "the thousand-year door" comes from. It's not known what could be behind this door, but everyone has different theories. Princess Peach finds a map and mails the map and a letter stating that Mario must come. So Mario comes to place called Rogueport where Peach was last seen. There he meets a female goomba named Goombella. Mario shows the map to Goombella. Goombella then takes Mario to her archeology professor. The professor decides to take Mario to the thousand-year door. When Mario stands in front of the door, the map begins to show the locations of stars which open the door. The adventure begins from this point.

Mario can jump, run, hammer, talk to people, etc.. Mario finds many partners on his quest. Battles play out on a stage in front of an audience. In battle, Mario must keep his fans happy by executing action commands (hitting buttons at the right time during his attacks). Occasionally, in battle, the crowd will throw things at Mario. The player can attack the crowd at this time.

Other Votes: DeweyDecibel (17.), Churchy (7.), Hero of Lime (14.), Billy (12.), bard91 (12.)

Links:
    Wikipedia
    Mobygames
    Gameplay on Youtube

alt text
    34. Mass Effect (2007) - 122 Points - 6 Votes - Highest Vote: #7 Brandon_Reister

Developer: BioWare
    Publisher: Microsoft, EA
    Genre: Action role-playing
    Platform(s): Xbox 360, Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 3

Mass Effect is the first part of a science fiction RPG trilogy. It is set in a futuristic universe created specifically for the game, with its own history, various alien races, as well as cultural, political, and social background. The story of the game deals with Commander Shepard, supposedly the first human candidate for the elite group of special agents (the Spectres), who serve the inter-galactic Council, comprised of the oldest and most powerful races in the universe. With or without the help of the Council, Shepard has to stop Saren, a Spectre member who went rogue and tries to exact revenge upon those he was once a part of.

In Mass Effect the player takes control of Commander Shepard, who is fully customizable in the character creation screen; his abilities, gender, and physical appearance can be shaped by the player. Both female and male versions of the character are fully voiced. Combat in the game is action-based, and is similar to tactical squad-based shooters. As in most of BioWare's previous RPGs, the player can pause at any time to issue orders to other squad members. The squad members are AI-dependable, but general commands (such as run forward, take cover, target a specific enemy, etc) can be issued without pausing.

Other Votes: NCartwright15 (13.), Karu (12.), DanteThePyro (12.), Exist 2 Inspire (12.), Brannox (8.),

Links:
    Wikipedia
    Mobygames
    Gameplay on Youtube

• only one i can talk about this time all are deserving

thousand year door is a awsome game with alot of charm the last goos paper mario game. i just loved its predecessor more

• So happy to see Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door crop up. It's my second favourite Mario game ever for very good reason.

It imagined new worlds outside the Mushroom Kingdom and came up with a whole host of memorable characters. Even minor NPCs have some great dialogue. There were some truly memorable story chapters and sequences (the journey to being a professional wrestler being one of them). On top of that the battle system was superb with some brilliant mechanics thrown into the mix. Very few games are as creative as Thousand Year Door and it shook up the dynamic of Mario in a way few other games did, and probably ever will.

It's just such a shame that Intelligent were forced to get rid of everything that made it so great in later games on the order of Miyamoto and others at Nintendo. But at least we'll always have this stone cold classic!

• Oh dear Mass Effect reached the top 40, an RPG shooter which, in my opinion couldn't get shooting aspect of the game right. I forced myself to play this to the end

I'll try to be positive though, there are two great things I know of which came from Mass Effect, that is Mass Effect 2 and Mass Effect 3.

@exist-2-inspire I don't know If you have any plans in the way you'll reveal the top 10 / top 5. Would it be a good idea to start with the game description using spoiler tags for the title or an excerpt from a review and as you scroll down the page you reveal the box art or trailer / gameplay video. Just a dumb thought I had.

I appreciate all the work and time you've put into this, loving this thread.

• 37. Diablo II
    Never played, if it's anything like Diablo 3, meh.

36. Shenmue
    Great game but I lost my savestate. I think it deserves a proper remaster or even just a port sinc so far the only way to play this is the original DC version.

35. Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door
    Best Paper Mario, I still liked Super Paper Mario but after that I didn't bother with the series any longer.

34. Mass Effect
    Did I forget to put this on my list? looks at list whoops. Well I had to choose from over 1000 games for this list, I knew I would forget something.
    Anyway fantastic scifi RPG that is very dear to me, played through it many times.