The EZA Top 100 Videogames!

• alt text
    35. Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door (2004) - 119 Points - 6 Votes - Highest Vote: #5 Haru17

Developer: Intelligent Systems
    Publisher: Nintendo
    Genre: RPG
    Platform(s): GameCube

A thousand years ago there was a city. One day the city was buried. Another city was built on top, and all that remains of the previous city is a door. This is where the title "the thousand-year door" comes from. It's not known what could be behind this door, but everyone has different theories. Princess Peach finds a map and mails the map and a letter stating that Mario must come. So Mario comes to place called Rogueport where Peach was last seen. There he meets a female goomba named Goombella. Mario shows the map to Goombella. Goombella then takes Mario to her archeology professor. The professor decides to take Mario to the thousand-year door. When Mario stands in front of the door, the map begins to show the locations of stars which open the door. The adventure begins from this point.

Mario can jump, run, hammer, talk to people, etc.. Mario finds many partners on his quest. Battles play out on a stage in front of an audience. In battle, Mario must keep his fans happy by executing action commands (hitting buttons at the right time during his attacks). Occasionally, in battle, the crowd will throw things at Mario. The player can attack the crowd at this time.

Other Votes: DeweyDecibel (17.), Churchy (7.), Hero of Lime (14.), Billy (12.), bard91 (12.)

Links:
    Wikipedia
    Mobygames
    Gameplay on Youtube

alt text
    34. Mass Effect (2007) - 122 Points - 6 Votes - Highest Vote: #7 Brandon_Reister

Developer: BioWare
    Publisher: Microsoft, EA
    Genre: Action role-playing
    Platform(s): Xbox 360, Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 3

Mass Effect is the first part of a science fiction RPG trilogy. It is set in a futuristic universe created specifically for the game, with its own history, various alien races, as well as cultural, political, and social background. The story of the game deals with Commander Shepard, supposedly the first human candidate for the elite group of special agents (the Spectres), who serve the inter-galactic Council, comprised of the oldest and most powerful races in the universe. With or without the help of the Council, Shepard has to stop Saren, a Spectre member who went rogue and tries to exact revenge upon those he was once a part of.

In Mass Effect the player takes control of Commander Shepard, who is fully customizable in the character creation screen; his abilities, gender, and physical appearance can be shaped by the player. Both female and male versions of the character are fully voiced. Combat in the game is action-based, and is similar to tactical squad-based shooters. As in most of BioWare's previous RPGs, the player can pause at any time to issue orders to other squad members. The squad members are AI-dependable, but general commands (such as run forward, take cover, target a specific enemy, etc) can be issued without pausing.

Other Votes: NCartwright15 (13.), Karu (12.), DanteThePyro (12.), Exist 2 Inspire (12.), Brannox (8.),

Links:
    Wikipedia
    Mobygames
    Gameplay on Youtube

• only one i can talk about this time all are deserving

thousand year door is a awsome game with alot of charm the last goos paper mario game. i just loved its predecessor more

• So happy to see Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door crop up. It's my second favourite Mario game ever for very good reason.

It imagined new worlds outside the Mushroom Kingdom and came up with a whole host of memorable characters. Even minor NPCs have some great dialogue. There were some truly memorable story chapters and sequences (the journey to being a professional wrestler being one of them). On top of that the battle system was superb with some brilliant mechanics thrown into the mix. Very few games are as creative as Thousand Year Door and it shook up the dynamic of Mario in a way few other games did, and probably ever will.

It's just such a shame that Intelligent were forced to get rid of everything that made it so great in later games on the order of Miyamoto and others at Nintendo. But at least we'll always have this stone cold classic!

• Oh dear Mass Effect reached the top 40, an RPG shooter which, in my opinion couldn't get shooting aspect of the game right. I forced myself to play this to the end

I'll try to be positive though, there are two great things I know of which came from Mass Effect, that is Mass Effect 2 and Mass Effect 3.

@exist-2-inspire I don't know If you have any plans in the way you'll reveal the top 10 / top 5. Would it be a good idea to start with the game description using spoiler tags for the title or an excerpt from a review and as you scroll down the page you reveal the box art or trailer / gameplay video. Just a dumb thought I had.

I appreciate all the work and time you've put into this, loving this thread.

• 37. Diablo II
    Never played, if it's anything like Diablo 3, meh.

36. Shenmue
    Great game but I lost my savestate. I think it deserves a proper remaster or even just a port sinc so far the only way to play this is the original DC version.

35. Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door
    Best Paper Mario, I still liked Super Paper Mario but after that I didn't bother with the series any longer.

34. Mass Effect
    Did I forget to put this on my list? looks at list whoops. Well I had to choose from over 1000 games for this list, I knew I would forget something.
    Anyway fantastic scifi RPG that is very dear to me, played through it many times.

• TTYD is like a 2D 3D Mario game in terms of scope. Huge levels, massive enemy variety, oodles of dialogue and secrets, and a great difficulty curve. Incredibly polished.

1. Diablo II
      My favorite Blizzard game and my favorite action RPG. I just beat the game for the 15th time this month. To me it's an evergreen game, one that never dies or gets boring. Hell, even Blizzard still supports it 16 years later with patches. Sooo much better than Diablo III as well. Hopefully 3 didn't kill this franchise.

2. Shenmue
      Here it is, my number 1! This might be the only game ever that lived up to the hype. I remember reading about this massive game back in 1998 that would have FULL voice acting, real weather effects, and you had to work to earn money in the game. At that time those things were pretty crazy and on top of the realism of the gameplay were the jaw dropping graphics. Keep in mind, this game was released in the PS1 and N64 era (1999 Japan, 2000 USA). To say that this was the best looking game at the time was an understatement. I will always remember saving up the $60 it cost at my local store and having a buddy of mine do the same thing. Every day at school we would trade notes of the cool things we found "did you know there was a cassette tape in this dresser drawer" or "I found this martial arts scroll here". It was probably the best month of gaming in my entire life. I'd love a HD remake of it with the original Japanese voice acting. I hope my $500 helps Shenmue 3 become a reality and that the series will conclude with us knowing what happens to all the amazing characters.

• Oooookay how to begin:

First off, all I can say about Paper Mario is I'm really happy it's here. It's a Gamecube game I never owned, and at one point in time considered getting, but circumstances outside of my own that I'm still bitter about to this day wound up making me lose my system. I hear such good things about it, but as time has worn on, I have tastes cultivated in other directions and I've never had the drive to go play it.

But onto my real thoughts ;-) :

MASS EFFECT! Yes! I am really excited the original made it considering Mass Effect 3 placed really low (Still placed though. Makes me happy :-D ) and we're getting closer to the top. I think it's a forgone conclusion that ME 2 should be appearing any day now right? Anyway, the original Mass Effect is my favorite of the three despite being barren because it was an experience I'll never forget.

This was my first BioWare game and I was amazed at the dialogue trees and some areas like the Citadel and Virmire, a place which I was agonizing over the choice for a solid 10 minutes. And you know what? I LIKE the shooting MORE than the others. But that's just me.

The decisions you make, the story the game tells, and a cast of characters I hold dear over knowing who they are and what they're made of all were introduced to me and for that, Mass Effect will always be a top 10 game to me.

My thanks and appreciation to @Brandon_Reister, @NCartwright15, @Karu, @DanteThePyro, and @Exist-2-Inspire for thinking highly enough of the game for it to place so well!! :thumbsup:

• Global Moderator

Firstly I just want to say that I'm delighted to see Paper Mario on this list. Not because I've played it and love it (even though I do intend on getting to it someday) but because of the lore it has built up in this community. :)

Anyway I haven't had a whole lot of time to comment on the last 10 or so games so I just wanted to talk about Journey. As you can see, I was the highest voter for the game and I feel like it's an incredibly special game. It is just such a unique experience, visually stunning and for me, has the most consistently fantastic soundtrack in a game. Every single song fits perfectly.

I don't want to say much else as I feel like talking about the core game would spoil it. As I said though it is incredibly unique and one of the few games that I really felt an emotional reaction to.

• Glad to see others voted for Paper Mario TTYD too, it is a must play Mario RPG, and personally a must play game in general. A real masterpiece. <3 u <3

I haven't been commenting on the thread, but I've found the results very great so far. Not too many of my super faves have shown up, but the list is really respectable.

• Global Moderator

1. Mass Effect (2007)
      Glad this made the list! I was choosing between this and ME 2 for my list. This game really has some good story and characters! I remember the first time I played it and I was super excited! It was something new as other RPGs I had played didn't really have that karma system etc. However, I don't think that it has aged very well and it plays a bit rough today. But still a really good game and one of those games that everyone should play at one stage or another

• I've been keeping mostly quiet since I want to see where the rest of the list goes, but hot damn am I happy that Journey made it. Just a beautiful piece of art.

• More, please?

• alt text
    33. Batman: Arkham City (2011) - 130 Points - 10 Votes - Highest Vote: #8 Axel

Developer: Rocksteady
    Publisher: WB Games
    Genre: Action Adventure
    Platform(s): PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Microsoft Windows, Wii U, OS X,

Batman: Arkham City is the sequel to Batman: Arkham Asylum and once again stars the masked superhero Batman as the protagonist. The game takes place a year and a half after the events of the original game. After Joker was stopped from taking over the asylum, the asylum's former warden Quincy Sharp claims the responsibility for having averted disaster and he uses the popularity to become mayor of Gotham City. To suppress crime further, an enormous open-air prison called Arkham City is built. Citizens (as well as journalists in particular) are under strict supervision and the slightest disturbance is sufficient to be transferred to the prison. Sharp is assisted by psychiatrist Hugo Strange and hires the armed forces of the rogue security firm TYGER Security to maintain order. The story for Batman starts when he, as Bruce Wayne, is sent to Arkham City after declaring his opposition to the facility in a press conference. Strange is aware of Wayne's dual identity, but he can escape from the Penguin and gets his gear back through an airdrop from Alfred Pennyworth, which allows him to turn into Batman and fight the facility from the inside. Much of the story also revolves around a strange disease called the Titan formula that has infected Joker, and a secret plan called Protocol 10. Other famous characters from the franchise that make an appearance include Catwoman, Mr. Freeze, Rā's al Ghūl, and Clayface.

Other Votes: NCartwright15 (23.), Sentinel Beach (17.), TechnoRage1127 (16.), naltmank (30.), Inustar (10.), Billy (23.), Exist 2 Inspire (22.), Divinity (10.), Brannox (22.)

Links:
    Wikipedia
    Mobygames
    Gameplay on Youtube

alt text
    32. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (2000) - 132 Points - 6 Votes - Highest Vote: #2 Hero of Lime

Developer: Nintendo
    Publisher: Nintendo
    Genre: Action role-playing
    Platform(s): Nintendo 64, GameCube

After having fulfilled Princess Zelda's request and saved the land of Hyrule from a grave danger, Link departs on his horse Epona. In the Lost Woods he is ambushed by Skull Kid, an imp who dons a mysterious mask, accompanied by the fairies Tael and Tatl. Skull Kid turns Link into a small plant-like creature known as Deku Scrub and takes away his horse and his magical ocarina. Shortly afterwards Tatl joins Link and agrees to help him revert to his native form. A meeting with a wandering mask salesman reveals that the Skull Kid is wearing Majora's Mask, an ancient item used in hexing rituals, which calls forth a menacing moon hovering over the land of Termina. Link has exactly three days to find a way to prevent this from happening.

Majora's Mask is a direct sequel to Ocarina of Time. It utilizes the same engine and visual style, and virtually identical interface. The game retains the traditional elements of Zelda games (dungeon exploration, sword fighting, bows, bombs, heart containers, etc.) as well as those introduced in its immediate predecessor, such as active blocking with a shield, various throwing items, and the usage of melodies played on the ocarina to solve puzzles. Compared to the previous Zelda games, this installment is more oriented towards interaction with NPCs and has a larger variety of items, optional quests, and mini-games.

Other Votes: NCartwright (11.), Demmue (7.), Dogtype (24.), Haru17 (7.), Oscillator (3.)

Links:
    Wikipedia
    Mobygames
    Gameplay on Youtube

• I'm surprised by both of these. That Arkham City made it at all, and that Majora's Mask wasn't higher.

• Global Moderator

Its now I guess the 30 other Zelda games will start to pop up on the list? then top 2 mario xD

• @Lotias You're forgetting the reign of the mighty Square RPGs, those are bound to take up some spots.

• Global Moderator

@SabotageTheTruth Yeah that is true! I had at least 1 of those games on my list that Im guessing will be quite high

• Ah Majora's Mask, interesting. I've actually never finished this game and I've been meaning to go back to it for awhile.

Same with Arkham City.. I have it but haven't played it yet :|

• Interesting to see if Arkham Asylum will make the list as well now that City is already this high. And with a position on ten people's lists. I myself put only City on my list, but I know there's a strong debate pretty much always when it comes to these Rocksteady's games that which one is better: Asylum or City.
    (Love them both, only chose one of them this time, though.)