The EZA Top 100 Videogames!

• alt text
    33. Batman: Arkham City (2011) - 130 Points - 10 Votes - Highest Vote: #8 Axel

Developer: Rocksteady
    Publisher: WB Games
    Genre: Action Adventure
    Platform(s): PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Microsoft Windows, Wii U, OS X,

Batman: Arkham City is the sequel to Batman: Arkham Asylum and once again stars the masked superhero Batman as the protagonist. The game takes place a year and a half after the events of the original game. After Joker was stopped from taking over the asylum, the asylum's former warden Quincy Sharp claims the responsibility for having averted disaster and he uses the popularity to become mayor of Gotham City. To suppress crime further, an enormous open-air prison called Arkham City is built. Citizens (as well as journalists in particular) are under strict supervision and the slightest disturbance is sufficient to be transferred to the prison. Sharp is assisted by psychiatrist Hugo Strange and hires the armed forces of the rogue security firm TYGER Security to maintain order. The story for Batman starts when he, as Bruce Wayne, is sent to Arkham City after declaring his opposition to the facility in a press conference. Strange is aware of Wayne's dual identity, but he can escape from the Penguin and gets his gear back through an airdrop from Alfred Pennyworth, which allows him to turn into Batman and fight the facility from the inside. Much of the story also revolves around a strange disease called the Titan formula that has infected Joker, and a secret plan called Protocol 10. Other famous characters from the franchise that make an appearance include Catwoman, Mr. Freeze, Rā's al Ghūl, and Clayface.

Other Votes: NCartwright15 (23.), Sentinel Beach (17.), TechnoRage1127 (16.), naltmank (30.), Inustar (10.), Billy (23.), Exist 2 Inspire (22.), Divinity (10.), Brannox (22.)

Links:
    Wikipedia
    Mobygames
    Gameplay on Youtube

alt text
    32. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (2000) - 132 Points - 6 Votes - Highest Vote: #2 Hero of Lime

Developer: Nintendo
    Publisher: Nintendo
    Genre: Action role-playing
    Platform(s): Nintendo 64, GameCube

After having fulfilled Princess Zelda's request and saved the land of Hyrule from a grave danger, Link departs on his horse Epona. In the Lost Woods he is ambushed by Skull Kid, an imp who dons a mysterious mask, accompanied by the fairies Tael and Tatl. Skull Kid turns Link into a small plant-like creature known as Deku Scrub and takes away his horse and his magical ocarina. Shortly afterwards Tatl joins Link and agrees to help him revert to his native form. A meeting with a wandering mask salesman reveals that the Skull Kid is wearing Majora's Mask, an ancient item used in hexing rituals, which calls forth a menacing moon hovering over the land of Termina. Link has exactly three days to find a way to prevent this from happening.

Majora's Mask is a direct sequel to Ocarina of Time. It utilizes the same engine and visual style, and virtually identical interface. The game retains the traditional elements of Zelda games (dungeon exploration, sword fighting, bows, bombs, heart containers, etc.) as well as those introduced in its immediate predecessor, such as active blocking with a shield, various throwing items, and the usage of melodies played on the ocarina to solve puzzles. Compared to the previous Zelda games, this installment is more oriented towards interaction with NPCs and has a larger variety of items, optional quests, and mini-games.

Other Votes: NCartwright (11.), Demmue (7.), Dogtype (24.), Haru17 (7.), Oscillator (3.)

Links:
    Wikipedia
    Mobygames
    Gameplay on Youtube

• I'm surprised by both of these. That Arkham City made it at all, and that Majora's Mask wasn't higher.

• Global Moderator

Its now I guess the 30 other Zelda games will start to pop up on the list? then top 2 mario xD

• @Lotias You're forgetting the reign of the mighty Square RPGs, those are bound to take up some spots.

• Global Moderator

@SabotageTheTruth Yeah that is true! I had at least 1 of those games on my list that Im guessing will be quite high

• Ah Majora's Mask, interesting. I've actually never finished this game and I've been meaning to go back to it for awhile.

Same with Arkham City.. I have it but haven't played it yet :|

• Interesting to see if Arkham Asylum will make the list as well now that City is already this high. And with a position on ten people's lists. I myself put only City on my list, but I know there's a strong debate pretty much always when it comes to these Rocksteady's games that which one is better: Asylum or City.
    (Love them both, only chose one of them this time, though.)

• @Demmue Right there with ya! My number 1 as well. The funny thing is that I knew very little before playing Shenmue. I was about 10 at the time and my brother bought it because a friend of his claimed it was the best game ever made. That guy wasn't far wrong.

The impact of that game technically is impossible to truly know unless you played it at the time. But that wasn't all it had. It had this feeling of passion running throughout every moment, and the narrative was just a bloody good yarn filled with the greatness of traditional stories. The world felt truly alive in Shenmue, and it still feels that way now. The dedication of having every NPC have a realistic individual time table was just one element of it.

And that was the thing, there were elements you could miss and there are dozens of secrets, conversations and tidbits that all help make that world feel real. And that soundtrack is simply gorgeous. Every piece of story meant something and that's always special. I truly believe there is magic in video games, and Shenmue has a magical vibe unlike any other game. It's beautiful.

As for the Kickstarter I managed to put in $300 without hesitation. And regardless of how it turns out, I'm just happy that I'll get some sense of closure and that it will have the chance to shine!

• Another Legend of Zelda that I haven't played. I'm really interested to see where, if they place at all, the original, WInd Waker, and Ocarina of Time all place. But on to Batman:

I believe Arkham City is the best of the three and it was Arkham Asylum that really got me into Batman in general. I'm not a comic book fan, and Superheroes in any capacity are just not my thing. However, I purchased the Asylum demo and was so taken with it, it inspired me to get the Dark Knight trilogy. And I'm happy to say that much like the Dark Knight movie itself, the second entry is the best pertaining to the Arkham series.

I prefer the overall story of City, though Arkham Knight had so much potential. To be able to go anywhere in Arkham Knight was awesome and while it took some getting used to, the speed mode of the Batmobile was alright. Tank mode can go BURN for all I care.

I also don't like open world games all that much, but City warmed me up to the idea for the Batman universe and I'm super happy at least one entry made the list.

So to @Axel, @NCartwright15, @Sentinel-Beach, @TechnoRage1127, @naltmank, @Inustar, @Billy, @Exist-2-Inspire, and @Divinity I agree with you in City such a good game. Also I think we can agree that Arkham City may be the first entry to get double digits in votes. Translation: Widely praised for being good. That's awesome :-D

• No #1 votes for Majora? Damn.

No other Zelda has anywhere near the level of storytelling as Majora. It's heavy. Almost every character has a role to play in the greater scheme of things. Helping one character may affect one or more other characters. This applies to the main story and the sidequests. Clock Town is one of the best hub towns in any game I've played. It's busy, everything's on a schedule, and the atmosphere is rich.

Majora's world is so immersive, you almost forget about the fantastic dungeon design, intense soundtrack, and eye-popping Expansion Pak graphics. The only negative thing I have to say is that it's a bit easy, especially the bosses.

Youtube Video

alt text

alt text

alt text

alt text

• @Oscillator I didn't vote for any Zelda game, but if I had, Majora's Mask would be the one. Like you said, it's that heavy storytelling that is so respectable. Once I learned about the grief theory, I've accepted that as fact and it really elevates the game for myself.

• Global Moderator

Controversial opinion maybe but I personally think Arkham Origins is the best batman game.

Has the best storyline and boss fights in the series for me.

• alt text
    31. Dragon Age: Origins (2009) - 133 Points - 8 Votes - Highest Vote: #3 Brandon_Reister

Developer: BioWare
    Publisher: EA
    Genre: Action RPG
    Platform(s): PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Microsoft Windows, OS X

Four hundred years have passed since the last Blight was successfully prevented by the Grey Wardens. Now once again the fearsome Darkspawn under the rule of the Arch Demon gather and are about to invade the land of Ferelden. The first battleground: the destroyed city at Ostagar, where the Grey Wardens meet the army of Cailan, king of Ferelden, to try and stop the Darkspawn, preventing death and destruction before it has even begun. However, during the battle, the forces of general Loghain inexplicably abandon the battlefield. As a result, the Grey Wardens, the king, and most of the human warriors are killed. Among the few survivors is the hero, who had joined the Grey Wardens just before the battle, and must now find a way to unite the races of Ferelden in a struggle against the common enemy.

Dragon Age: Origins is a party-based third-person perspective role-playing game. Similarly to Baldur's Gate, combat is in real time, with the ability to pause at any moment. Tactical options include an editor which allows the players to give the AI detailed instructions on how to behave in every possible situation. Nonetheless the player can also control the party (with up to four active combatants) one by one, switching between the characters, using their special talents and abilities to overcome the many different enemies. During the course of the game, the player will have the opportunity to invite up to nine players to his party. While only four can leave the party camp at any given time, the experience points earned by killing enemies, fulfilling quests or simply opening a chest are granted to each member of the group.

Other Votes: NCartwright15 (17.), Karu (14.), Inustar (19.), Billy (10.), Tokyo Slim (25.), bard91 (8.), Exist 2 Inspire (20.)

Links:
    Wikipedia
    Mobygames
    Gameplay on Youtube

alt text
    30. The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (2006) - 134 Points - 9 Votes - Highest Vote: #2 Divinity

Developer: Bethesda
    Publisher: Bethesda
    Genre: Action role-playing
    Platform(s): PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Microsoft Windows

A lowly prisoner has been cast into the depths of the dungeon in the Imperial capital of the province Cyrodiil. The fate of this prisoner suddenly changed when the Emperor Uriel Septim descended into the prison with his guards, fleeing from unknown assassins who have already slaughtered his children. But even an emperor cannot escape his destiny. Before the last assassin delivered the lethal strike, the old emperor entrusted the prisoner with the Amulet of Kings and asked him to find his illegitimate son, the last of the Septim bloodline. The Septims and the Amulet are the last barrier between the continent Tamriel and the dark dimension of Oblivion, and the delicate balance is threatened by the Daedra Prince of Destruction, Mehrunes Dagon, the prisoner being Tamriel's only hope.

Oblivion is the fourth title in Bethesda's Elder Scrolls series. The game sticks to the style of its predecessors featuring action-based combat, first-person and third-person views, and vast free-roaming environments. The player's chosen race and class determine the abilities the protagonist has in the beginning. The game allows the player to develop multiple types of characters without being limited to a specific role. The advancement system, as was the case in previous games, is based on skill usage. When the player repeatedly use one of the skills, it improves. NPCs offer training (for a price) to help in advancing to the next stage. In time the protagonist can become an Apprentice, Journeyman, Expert and Master and gain certain bonuses for the skill. The skills of the foes are "levelled" to be approximately equal to or slightly above those of the main character.

Other Votes: Axel (23.), Haru17 (22.), Oscillator (4.), Browarr (21.), jipostus (11.), Brandon_Reister (20.), SabotageTheTruth (25.), Faaip (17.)

Links:
    Wikipedia
    Mobygames
    Gameplay on Youtube

• @tokeeffe9 I hear what you're saying. The game IS good, even if some would want to set it a step down from the main trilogy. And that Deathstroke fight really caught me off-guard! Man, was that hard or something! Thrilling as hell still, too.

• Elder Scrolls 4 is a 10 out of 10. That is all.

• Massive open world RPGs taking the next two spots feels more expected. As we crack into the top 30, JRPGs, Nintendo IP, and mainstream games should be the majority of what remains. Looking for a curveball or two as well. Haven't played anything Dragon Age or Elder Scrolls so I'll leave my post on this: Skyrim and Witcher III should be coming soon too.

• Good to see Dragon Age at a pretty high position, in my mind it's Bioware best RPG from last gen (haven't played the old ones), and I think it is definitively deserving of being this high.

Oblivion is another game I enjoyed a lot, so it is great to see it here as well.

• I've had eight of my games on the list, and after just checking my own Top 30 again and then calibrating the vibes of this list so far I'm fairly certain there'll be seven more of my favourites still coming. So that it'd be 15 total from my favourites. Now I'm all of a sudden only worrying if my #2 will even make the list at all! I have no idea how this community thinks, as there have been so many surprises on the way here.

• yay my favorite Bethesda game made it , if i were to do my list over id probably include it in mine

• DA:O has some of my all time favorite RPG characters and settings. It feels like a whole, full actual world. The fade kinda sucks, but I can deal.