The EZA Top 100 Videogames!

• boo ye Front Mission nonbelievers :p

• Skyrim ahead of Oblivion??? We DEFINITELY needed more entries!

Not like I didn't expect it, though. Skyrim is a much slicker presentation. The sound design, characters, plot, visual effects, UI, all grade A. But scrape off that shiny coat of paint, and you see all the cracks it's hiding. The dragons look cool, but their behavior is simple and easily exploited. As a result, battling them gets old quicker than expected. The art style is seriously drab. Mostly white/grey/brown, and the little colour there is is either earth tones or cold blue.

I used fast travel way more in Skyrim than Oblivion because trudging though all those wastes was mind numbing. It didn't help that the smaller dungeons were seriously formulaic. You can only chop down so many Draugrs before you start rolling your eyes.

They claimed they were using a new engine, but it's obviously Gamebryo, and its clunkiness becomes so much more obvious in a flashier game like Skyrim. There are so many little hitches that are obviously baked into the engine and not oversights.

The quests are one of the weakest points. Outside of the solid main story and parts of the Mages Guild, it's just one fetch/rescue quest after another. There also isn't enough loot variety for such a huge world.

It just doesn't have the soul, wonder, and charm of Oblivion. But hey, that lightning effect, those Dwarven dungeons, and that theme song!

Youtube Video

• @SabotageTheTruth Belongs at YOUR #1? Hell yeah. The EZA #1? Nah, but we'll find out what that is too. My #1? I'll be grateful if its in the top 25.

I do however, appreciate and admire the steadfast defense of Tactics. THAT is the kind of post I was hoping to see in this thread's lifetime, especially in the latter half of the list, as everyone's #1s started to appear.

Looks at tomato. Drops it.

As far as my thoughts on Skyrim and Tactics, kind of surprised they're not in the top 25 themselves. This list is getting really, REALLY good.

Turns away from thread satisfied with input but remembers the pseudo insult of "feeble minded." Not standing for it, gets a fresh tomato and gives chase. ;-)

• In all honesty, I'm glad Tactics finally showed up. Once I saw games like Link to the Past and Oblivion pop up, I thought Tactics didn't even stand a chance of making it.

Be prepared for a lot of groaning coming from me once Ocarina of Time shows up.

• @SabotageTheTruth I've played through FF Tactics once, it was played mostly during work so there were a lot of interruptions, inability to save during cutscenes meant I missed a lot of the story, so I ended up skipping / ignoring them altogether and concentrated on the battles.

I couldn't enjoy the combat system or it could have been the attacking and defeating enemies was never satisfying to me.

I played FF Tactics after having played Spectral Souls which I thoroughly enjoyed, ability to combine attacks with your allies made this a winner in my book. Think it had a really bad reception though. Maybe I just like.bD games.

• @robert7lee The combat system takes a little growing to really show its power. The first chapter is slow (in combat) because unless you're grinding heavily, you don't have access to classes like Ninja, Dancer, or the potentially game-breaking Calculator. I'd really recommend giving it another go if you ever have time, because the story is such a driving factor in the game. Even knowing the plot points when I play through, I still soak it up.

• just when i thought it wouldnt show up it did. My favorite video game story and a game that changed my life the ending of tactics will sit with me till the day i die. the customization and depth the characters everything and im glad other people agree with me. and to anyone out there who hasnt played it i dont even care if you dont like strategy games give this a whirl im sure you'll love it. make sure its the psp version though the ps1 versions translation is terrible.

• In general I don't really like Elder Scrolls games, but I actually really wasn't digging the vibes of Oblivion. It felt a lot like generic fantasy to me. Even if I don't like the way it plays, I can totally appreciate the nordic aesthetic of Skyrim. One of the few games where I just look at screenshots (especially of heavily modded versions of the game) since the world just looks so good. The world has a great vibe, which is why I think it deserves to be a little higher than Oblivion.

• 29. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
    Ah yeah, this is actually the reason I went back to Oblivion and realized I don't enjoy it as much as back in the days anymore. Since I loved Oblivion so much I was super excited for Skyrim but it just didn't click with me, I gave it a few tries but no.

28. Final Fantasy Tactics
    Never played, don't care.

• alt text
    27. BioShock (2007) - 139 Points - 8 Votes - Highest Vote: #5 Browarr

Developer: 2K
    Publisher: 2K
    Genre: First Person Shooter
    Platform(s): PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, OS X, iOS

In the year 1960 a plane crashes in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean with a man named Jack as the only survivor. He has the apparent luck of resurfacing in front of what looks like a door to an underwater complex. Without hesitating, Jack enters the door and is greeted by slogans that praise the city of Rapture, a paradise of free will built in the 1940's by a business magnate named Andrew Ryan. However, even before he assimilates all this new information, the descent to this supposed paradise ends and he can only see ruins and chaos. Learning about the destiny of Rapture will be now Jack's main motivation while he tries to survive the horrors that the free will can create.

BioShock is a first-person shooter with gameplay elements and storytelling technique reminiscent of System Shock games. Rapture, the once proud social experiment inspired by the real-world objectivist philosophy of Ayn Rand, has been nearly destroyed, its inhabitants either dead or fallen victims to bizarre scientific experiments. The retro-futuristic setting incorporates elements of sci-fi with art deco and steampunk influences, featuring interior design and propaganda posters reminiscent of 1950's.

Other Votes: NCartwright15 (15.), TechnoRage1127 (22.), benoit489 (6.), Brandon_Reister (15.), Faaip (8.), bard91 (26.), SabotageTheTruth (12.)

Links:
    Wikipedia
    Mobygames
    Gameplay on Youtube

alt text
    26. Final Fantasy VI (1994) - 149 Points - 6 Votes - Highest Vote: #1 TechnoRage1127

Developer: Squaresoft
    Publisher: Squaresoft
    Genre: role-playing game
    Platform(s): SNES, PlayStation, GameBoy Advance, Microsoft Windows, Android, iOS

A thousand years ago, the War of the Magi occurred. People remember it as one of the most horrible tragedies in history. Since the War of the Magi, magic has been all but forgotten, technology began to grow, and people returned to seemingly normal lives. The only true worry people have is the Empire, whose leaders are looking to revive the great force once known as "magic". The Empire had heard word of the remains of a mystical being, known as "Esper", being found in the mining town of Narshe. Quickly, three soldiers were dispatched to find this Esper and bring it to the Emperor. One of the soldiers, a young girl, triggers a power in the Esper that initiates a dangerous series of events. The only ones who can help her are a rag-tag band of rebels and heroes, who offer their very hearts and souls to save the world from the mad plans of the Empire.

*The sixth entry in the Final Fantasy series was dubbed Final Fantasy III in the West because three out of the five previous installments of the series had not been released there at the time. Similarly to its predecessors, this is a role-playing game where the player controls a party of characters, travelling between various locales in the world, fighting randomly appearing regular enemies and bosses, and making the characters stronger by improving their skills and getting better equipment for them. The game maintains the ATB (active time battle) system of the two previous installments in the series, spicing traditional turn-based combat engine with a real-time element. *

Other Votes: Axel (15.), jipostus (5.), Ringedwithtile (2.), Musou Tensei (11.), naltmank (3.)

Links:
    Wikipedia
    Mobygames
    Gameplay on Youtube

• Two undeniable classics don't crack the top 20, but hey, they got close. It's good to see Bioshock make a list and not get killed off.

The top 20 is almost upon us!

alt text

• Well, I guess it's time to potentially make some enemies

All that I've played of the original Bioshock is the demo and I got to say: I wasn't impressed. I like the concept of Rapture, but there are just things about Bioshock I didn't enjoy when playing the little bit that I did. I did take a chance on Infinite, and weirdly enough, I actually like that game (Well, up until you get to Comstock house. From that point forward it goes off the tracks)

For Final Fantasy VI, it was a FF game I never played. I've attempted to go through about half of the main numbered entries. I won't bash XIII because I feel that has been covered elsewhere. I really cannot stand VIII, with its junction system and a story that is actually pretty weak (for me personally). There has been nearly countless amount of people I've heard laud VI, praising it left, right, up, down, and everywhere in between. After great thought, I finally decided to take the risk, knowing full well that when I get games based off of consensus praise and not personal instinct, I get burned.

And let me tell you, I feel burned by Final Fantasy VI.

I played it on the Vita (if that matters) and for a while, I was having an enjoyable time, more or less. But it was when the world became Ruined where I started to feel less inspired to play it. I lost interest because I was becoming less and less interested in the entire game the longer I went. From the characters to the story, the world to the party management, I grew tired of playing. I didn't even recover everyone.

So burnt out on it, I tried to assault Kefka's tower with mostly everyone (save like three characters I think). You can imagine how that went.

And what absolutely SUCKS about it all is that I wanted to like it. I really, REALLY wanted to enjoy VI. I just don't. I couldn't. I feel awful that, for a franchise I hold dear, I played an entry that was no fun to me. I still like it more than VIII or XIII, but its a Final Fantasy I will never play again. I don't know why it didn't speak to me.

And here's the thing, I know for a fact many out there absolutely dislike to purely hate the entries I love. That's cool. At least we can say we tried the other's favorites and couldn't get into them.

I will say this is the BIGGEST shock for me, hands down, on this list. These two games I thought GUARANTEED would place in the top 10. I don't know what to expect anymore from this list. And I'm eager to see the rest!

Looking out at the community, smiles sadly and with arms outstretched, readies for the barrage (potentially) of criticism for not liking and never wanting to ever play FF VI ever again.

• I have never played a Final Fantasy game (I don't like the overly statistical/mechanical gameplay or overly Japanese sexy/androgynous vibe of JRPGs), but VI looks different. It looks compelling. I definitely plan on getting around to it.

• @Oscillator I hope you have a better experience than I!

• BioShock is a majestic game. I only voted for Infinite from the series, but I'm happy to see Rapture here as well.

The last & the best 25 games are left!

• Bioshock! One of those "life-changing" games for me and a top 10 for sure. Up there with Halo for most repeated play-throughs I think

• alt text
    25. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (2009) - 150 Points - 10 Votes - Highest Vote: #5 Sentinel Beach, Faaip

Developer: Naughty Dog
    Publisher: Naughty Dog
    Genre: Action Adventure
    Platform(s): PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves is the sequel to Naughty Dog's 2007 game Uncharted: Drake's Fortune. The story picks up a few years where the first one left off, following the previous games fortune hunting hero, Nathan Drake, as he searches around the globe to try to solve another of the world's unsolved historical mysteries; this time regarding the famous merchant/explorer Marco Polo, who in 1292, mysteriously came back from a journey having lost 13 ships and 500+ passengers, with no explanation ever given on what had happened to those ships. After Drake gains knowledge of an ancient relic and a mysterious Himalayan Valley that may be connected to Marco Polo, he sets out on an adventure to discover the secrets of Polo's lost fleet, which he hopes will lead him to one of history's greatest undiscovered treasures.

The gameplay of Uncharted 2 remains pretty similar to the first game. It consists of cover-based shoot-offs, fast-paced escape sequences and death-defying stunts fairly reminiscent of those of the Indiana Jones movies. Some notable changes include stealth-action segments in the game, which force you to move through certain areas hiding in cover from the hordes of pirates who await to kill you. The wall-climbing and cover mechanics have been heightened to a new extent, allowing free movement over walls and more items for Drake to use as protection. Drake spends most of the time alone, but during large parts of the game he is also accompanied by fellow treasure hunter Harry Flynn, Elena and Chloe where they are controlled by the computer. During certain sequences Drake needs to solve minor puzzles and the most complex ones require him to study notes in a book. Some of the locations visited include Turkey, Borneo and Nepal.

Other Votes: DeweyDecibel (27.), Alex840 (11.), NCartwright15 (20.), tokeffee9 (19.), blakynt (27.), naltmank (14.), Inustar (11.), MCRMJ (21.)

Links:
    Wikipedia
    Mobygames
    Gameplay on Youtube

alt text
    24. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (2002) - 150 Points - 8 Votes - Highest Vote: #1 benoit489

Developer: Nintendo
    Publisher: Nintendo
    Genre: Action Adventure
    Platform(s): GameCube, Wii U

Link is a young boy who lives with his grandmother on the Outset Island, one of the many small islands lost amidst the waters of the Great Sea. On his tenth birthday, Link encounters a giant bird carrying a girl. Link rescues the girl, but as a result his own sister is taken away by the bird. The unknown girl is a pirate captain named Tetra, who agrees to help Link find and rescue his sister. During the course of their journey the two realize that a powerful, legendary evil is active again, and must find a way to stop him.

The Wind Waker is the tenth installment in the Zelda series. Like its predecessors, it is an action game with puzzle-solving and light role-playing elements. Basic gameplay mechanics are similar to those found in Ocarina of Time: Link explored 3D outdoor areas and dungeons, fighting enemies and occasionally solving environmental puzzles. An addition to the combat system is the ability to parry at specific times, which is needed to overcome armored foes. Another new feature is picking up and using some of the weapons wielded by the enemies. Similarly to previous games, Link can use tools such as bow and arrow, boomerang, and bombs.
    Link needs to sail through the Great Sea in order to travel to other islands. He uses a baton called the Wind Waker to change wind direction by conducting it and producing melodies. The Wind Waker is also used for teleportation and puzzle-solving purposes. Link can use wind currents to glide and access remote areas.

Other Votes: Alex840 (10.), Hero of Lime (5.), BlazingBahamut (25.), Haru17 (18.), naltmank (10.), Billy (16.), MCRMJ (13.)

Links:
    Wikipedia
    Mobygames
    Gameplay on Youtube

• Alright! Two more games I'm familiar with.

Uncharted 2 is a phenomenal game. I voted for an Uncharted game, but not for 2 as I feel it's the best the series. But I digress. Uncharted 2 does a wonderful job traveling the globe and has a better treasure to go after than Drake's Fortune. However, Lazarevic is a bit lame while being excellent: A villain who will kill his own men to make a point (Gets things done), but his entire boss fight and pretty much the entire time he is in Shambala, he loses that mentality to gloat (a common flaw in villain design).

Looking back at my list, this may have been my one oversight, but it's ok. The game didn't need my vote to make it deep into the thread.

I'm super happy Uncharted is represented so high. @Sentinel-Beach, @Faaip, @DeweyDecibel, @Alex840, @NCartwright15, @tokeeffe9, @blakynt, @naltmank, @Inustar, and @MCRMJ I salute and thank all of you for being Uncharted fans!

As for the Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker, this was my favorite Gamecube game and is my favorite Legend of Zelda. I got really far (I think Puppet Gannon) before I lost my system. I loved sailing the seas and even though I don't like Legend of Zelda in general, I wouldn't mind giving this game another try sometime. Granted, I didn't like it enough to place on my top 30 list, but I'm stoked to see it place in the top 25. Both of these games in fact.

Still waiting to see OG and OoT Zelda...

• I gotta show my disappointment at seeing the mediocrity that is U2 so high in the list, even though I expected it would be the case, the first two games are incredibly mediocre in my eyes, specially when considering how linear and restrictive they are, I imagine that the third and probably fourth will be on the list, I haven't played those, but unless there's a radical change on them I wouldn't consider them in even a top 50 for myself, but that is just me ¯_(ツ)_/¯

• @Brannox I'd be very surprised if The Legend of Zelda makes the list.