The EZA Top 100 Videogames!

• While not voting for 2nd gen of pokemon games, I still appreciate them. Good times.

alt text
    12. Super Mario 64 (1996) - 222 Points - 11 Votes - Highest Vote: #1 Faaip

Developer: Nintendo
    Publisher: Nintendo
    Genre: Platformer
    Platform(s): Nintendo 64

Mario is invited to Peach's castle, but when he arrives Peach is nowhere to be seen. He soon learns from Toad that Bowser has once again kidnapped her. The Koopa King has also put a spell on her castle, imprisoning her subjects. So it is up to Mario to break the spell and rescue Peach.

Super Mario 64 is the first Mario game done entirely with 3D graphics. The core gameplay is similar to previous platform installments, focusing on jumping, avoiding obstacles and defeating enemies. Levels can be explored without time limits. Stars must be collected in order to unlock new areas, eventually gaining access to various parts of Bowser's castle. Defeating Bowser on each floor procures keys necessary to unlock big doors and enter other floors, which contain more areas. Mario has more moves at his disposal in this installment. Besides running and jumping, he can now walk, crouch, crawl, climb, and punch enemies. Double and triple jumps, long jumps, wall jumps and backflips can be executed as well. Swimming underwater now depletes Mario's oxygen level. Items must be picked up and carried in some instances in order to solve puzzles.

Other Votes: DeweyDecibel (7.), Alex840 (19.), Hero of Lime (22.), Dogtype (7.), TechnoRage1127 (6.), naltmank (5.), jsackel (3.), Churchy (3.), Musou Tensei (30.), FF7Cloud (16.)

Links:
    Wikipedia
    Mobygames
    Gameplay on Youtube

• Wow I'm really surprised Mario 64 didn't make it into the top 10!

It may not be my all time favorite, but I think it is the most important game in my gaming upbringing. While I was super into the few NES games I had, getting an N64 with Mario 64 was the defining moment for me in gaming and every time I revisit it, I still get the same enjoyment that I did back then. Some of my greatest memories involve playing this game, exploring, finding secrets, the music, having a super hard time with the haunted house level and eventually beating it. I believe it was the first game that I ever beat on my own and I felt like it was a huge accomplishment that I still remember to this day!

• I can't see Mario's picture, the game cover. I wonder if that's just me. The others are fine, as I scrolled up.

• @Sentinel-Beach said in The EZA Top 100 Videogames Countdown!:

I can't see Mario's picture, the game cover. I wonder if that's just me. The others are fine, as I scrolled up.

Yes, I get a 403 when I try to view it.

• I linked a other pic, does it work now?

• @Exist-2-Inspire Ja, das kann ich jetzt sehen!

• Well, at least I got one prediction right. :-D

Anyway, I played a little of this in its original version on a cousin's system, and don't get me wrong: It's fun. I got the DS version with all the new bells and whistles. But I can't put my finger on why it doesn't grab me like I think it should. It deserves its spot.

alt text
    11. Chrono Trigger (1995) - 231 Points - 10 Votes - Highest Vote: #1 Pyro, naltmank, Tokyo Slim, blakynt

Developer: Square
    Publisher: Square
    Genre: RPG
    Platform(s): SNES, PlayStation, Nintendo DS, iOS, Android

A young man named Crono is about to enjoy a carefree day: he plans to go to the Millennial Fair, where his friend Lucca intends to demonstrate her newest scientific invention: a teleporter. Upon his arrival Crono meets a young girl named Marle, who volunteers to be the first to test Lucca's new device. However, Marle's pendant affects the teleporter's mechanism in a mysterious way, and as a result she is teleported four hundred years into the past. Crono and Lucca quickly recreate the time portal and follow Marle. They find out that her unexpected appearance has created some confusion, and proceed to fix the error, which in turn leads to unforeseen consequences, eventually compelling the heroes to travel to different time periods and change the history of the world.

Chrono Trigger is a Japanese-style role-playing game in which the player takes control of a party consisting of up to seven characters, developing the combat skills of its members and managing their equipment. There are no random encounters in the game: all the enemies are either visibly walking on the field maps and can be avoided by the player, or are waiting to ambush the party. No enemy encounters occur when the player navigates characters over the world map.

Other Votes: jsackel (25.), BlazingBahamut (22.), Joetown (17.), Axel (10.), Tearju Engi (12.), jipostus (3.), Musou Tensei (18.)

Links:
    Wikipedia
    Mobygames
    Gameplay on Youtube

• Make that two predictions.

Chrono missed the top 10? Huh. But LOOK at that top line!! FOUR #1 votes. I've never played the game and I have no desire to, but four 1st place votes? That's what's up. Mad respect to Chrono Trigger.

• I know it essentially makes me a heathen but... I think Chrono Trigger is okay. I recently played through it for the first time at the beginning of this year and I had a decent time. I love the concept to death and I'm surprised very few games have ever really attempted it again, but a lot of the encounters are hit/miss for me. Praise I will give to the game - Frog is a badass and that music is classic.

• SM64 is a game I'm a bit ambivalent about. Mario's animation is amazing though.

Chrono Trigger I've never played, but I love the genre. I'm going through Square's RPGs by release order and I'm at FFV, so I'll probably get around to it in a year or two.

• @SabotageTheTruth same here, I played it this year for the first time, and it was ok, a product of its for sure, but hardly something that I'd consider amongst the greats

• Chrono Trigger is a treasure, literally. I once found a Snes copy in box, next to the trash pile at the apartment complex I lived at. I sold that boxed copy of Chrono Trigger for 400 bucks on ebay.

I love you Chrono Trigger!

• Holy crap, 4 people (including me :D) voted Chrono Trigger number 1 and it STILL couldn't crack the top 10? Damn, guys.
    I'll reserve any complaints I have until I see the rest of the list, but man, I was really expecting it to be higher. The pacing, characters, battle mechanics, art, music... everything about this game is top notch for me. It just makes me feel good.

• 12. Super Mario 64
    Revolutionary, this game alone sold the N64 to me.

11. Chrono Trigger
    Another case of no nostalgia thanks to Square's EU ignorance, and even when we got the PS1 ports of FF4-6, we didn't got CT's port for whatever dumb reason (can't be translating costs because the FF ports where all english only), it took till the DS version that I got to play this game and that's why it's only my #18, at that time I had already played many fantastic games, if I had played it on SNES back in the days it would be higher for sure.

• maybe dark souls wont make it...

still hanging on for legend of dragoon (theres no chance its was like a 100-80th game)

alt text
    10. Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4 (incl. P4G) (2008) - 243 Points - 13 Votes - Highest Vote: #1 bard91

Developer: Atlus
    Publisher: Atlus/Square Enix/ NIS America
    Genre: RPG
    Platform(s): PlayStation 2, PlayStation Vita

Recently, strange murders began to occur in the quiet Japanese town Inaba. People are found dead under mysterious circumstances, and rumors say that something very wrong is going on with local TV system. A high school student moves into town, living at the house of his uncle, a police detective named Ryotaro Dojima. Shortly after his arrival, a TV announcer is found dead, her body hanging on a TV antenna. A while later, the student who discovered the victim is found dead as well. The new student and his friends accidentally discover that a parallel world exists within the realm of television, populated by supernatural creatures known as Shadows. The young people also find out that their own Shadow Selves are able to grant them unique powers. They must travel into that mysterious world and find out who is responsible for the murders.

Persona 4 is a Japanese-style role-playing game with light social simulation elements, similar in concept to its predecessor. The player controls a party of characters who must solve the crimes by venturing into the TV world and exploring its dungeons. Each dungeon is associated with a potential victim and carries a unique theme; their layouts, however, are randomly generated. Enemies are visible on screen, and contact with them leads to turn-based battles, which heavily rely on exploiting enemy weaknesses and unleashing powerful attacks after having successfully knocked them down. As opposed to the previous game, the player can issue direct commands to the main character's companions during battles. Similarly to other Persona games, characters' abilities and attributes change by merging them with supernatural beings known as Personae, which can also be fused at special locations to create more powerful ones.

Other Votes: BlazingBahamut (10.), Demmue (22.), tokeffee9 (18.), TechnoRage1127 (4.), Inustar (3.), SabotageTheTruth (3.), FF7Cloud (29.), Billy (25.), Tokyo Slim (17.), Browarr (2.), Exist 2 Inspire (7.), MCRMJ (19.)

Links:
    Wikipedia
    Mobygames
    Gameplay on Youtube

• well were in the top 10

i must be in the minority that likes persona 3 more then 4