The EZA Top 100 Videogames!

• Dark Souls makes three predictions right. I'm starting to wonder how many I'll get. I made those guesses on a lark and I'm being surprised I've gotten as many as I have. For Dark Souls itself, I have to agree with @Sentinel-Beach on this. I may have said this about Bloodborne (but probably not), but I just can NOT see the appeal. Bravo for its placement, as a Souls game being in the top 10 makes sense for this community.

• @Brannox while talking with you on these forums i have come to see that we share very similar taste and likes in games so im surprised you dont like the souls series may i ask what it is about the series you dont care for? is it the majority of the series fans that gloat that their hard core and tell every one else to git gud? cause thats a major flaw with the games community that irks me so much.

• @FF7Cloud Yes, that "Git GUD!" mentality with the challenge of Souls is irksome, but it's more of the aesthetic for me. I'm not really into its subject matter. While I have nothing against the dark gothic vibes, I have no love for it either. I will say my best friend is a die-hard fan of the series, so whenever I have questions, I go to him.

Also, I'm INCREDIBLY picky about what to play and while I strike out every now and again with something new, getting burned on a game REALLY burns, hence my high aversion to try something like Souls from a gameplay standpoint. Examples of getting burned are Ico/Shadow of the Colossus, Final Fantasies VI, VIII, and XIII, Fuse (Dear God), The Order: 1886 (Kind of), etc.

So when I go for a game, I take great consideration into what I'm looking for. To give you context, here is EVERYTHING I'm looking to get in the future, in order of highest to lowest priority:

FF VII: Remake - Highest
    KH III - Highest
    KH II.8 (Great name Square) - Highest
    Mass Effect: Andromeda - High
    Days Gone - High
    FF XII: The Zodiac Age - High
    God of War reboot - High
    FF XV - Medium
    Prey reboot - Medium
    Dishonored 2 - Medium
    Horizon: Zero Dawn - Medium
    Crash Bandicoot Remasters (I need to see what these look like before a proper eval.) - Medium
    Rise of the Tomb Raider (PS4) - Medium
    Wolfenstein: The New Order/The Old Blood (Loved this year's DOOM and saw some great thoughts on these recently, so I want to give it a shot) - Low
    Titanfall 2 - Low
    Mirror's Edge: Catalyst (And falling) - Low
    Destiny: Rise of Iron - Low
    CyberPunk 2077 (Need more [ANY] details) - Lowest
    Death Stranding ( ^ Same ^ as ^ this ^ ) - Lowest

You can tell I'm big into Square RPGs and shooters (for the most part) with an occasional interesting concept. Days Gone looks like an open world the Last of Us, and that game is really high on my list (hoping to see it here soon!) The concept of the new Prey is intriguing and I became sold on Horizon during the E3 demo several months ago.

Really sorry for the long response as I've been asked "Why don't you like Souls/Bloodborne?" before and the more I've answered it, the more I realize I need a thorough explanation as to why.

And I agree about our tastes! One of the many fantastic things about being an active member of these forums is encountering people such as yourself where I can have conversations with like-minded individuals about that which we love and enjoy where I can't with practically anyone in my typical outside daily routine. On the flip side, it's equally awesome to interact with those I disagree with, because it exposes me to other views and challenges what I may feel about a given topic/issue/game, etc.

Which is why I can say, unequivocally, THIS thread above any other is my absolute FAVORITE. It's a highlight of every evening when I can come home and log-in to see what game has been revealed and read the discussion after it. I've gone at length several times here about games I've voted for, and games that didn't quite make the cut (Pokemon is a massive oversight).

As we, as a community, see our picks, share our thoughts about why games place where and how we feel about them, it shows the very essence of being a member of this community. Which is why I said it at the very birth of the idea from @Exist-2-Inspire and I will say it again: These kind of "Top X games of Y" discussions are some of the most fun I've had when I talk with people about games in general.

I've gone on for so long now, I'm pretty sure I've irritated some people, so I'mma gunna shut it now until the next reveal.

Love & Respect <3

• @FF7Cloud I always hear that the souls community has a bad reputation but I've found for the most part that the community is supportive and friendly. It seems like there's a bond among the fans and most discussions on forums/message boards where people ask for guidance or discuss lore are pretty civil

• Aside from Zelda, I'm most looking forward to Planet Coaster. ^_^

• @Brannox the order 1886... i actually loved the game but i went in expecting nothing and payed 10 bucks for the game i didnt necessarily find it any shorter then the first uncharted. but yes the game wasnt worth 60 bucks.

• @Faaip yea in my experiences the community's been great but don't come in as a outsider and say this or this is wrong with the game or they'll eat ya alive this happened to a youtuber i've been following for years Epicnamebro.

• @FF7Cloud I loved looking at it. Gameplay was decent. The thermal rifle was only used ONCE. Werewolves were underused (The two boss encounters were lame, given the fact that the PSX demo was RAD), Vampires are cliche as hell and the story wasn't great. Introduced concepts that were not picked back up, left loose ends that shouldn't have existed, and the ending is a giant scream for a sequel. However, it simply wasn't finished. I may get the next one, IF there will be a next one, because it had potential, but it was Really short and the chapters being divided up were unequal. I loved the announcement at Sony's E3 presser (That show had so much). I just wish it was better

• @FF7Cloud Haha yeah I can totally see that happening. Though I think that sort of attitude might irk fans of any series

alt text
    8. The Witcher III: Wild Hunt (2015) - 251 Points - 13 Votes - Highest Vote: #1 Joetown

Developer: CD Project Red
    Publisher: Namco Bandai / WB
    Genre: Action RPG
    Platform(s): PlayStation 4, XBox One, Microsoft Windows

The witcher Geralt of Rivia once lived in the secluded mountain fortress Kaer Morhen, where he enjoyed a peaceful life with his beloved Yennefer and, together with his fellow witchers, trained a young girl named Ciri, the daughter of Emhyr var Emreis, Emperor of Nilfgaard. Following a prolonged memory loss and other turbulent events described in his previous adventures, Geralt eventually gets close to a reunion with Yennefer, whom he hasn't seen in a long time. Meanwhile, the Empire of Nilfgaard invades the Northern Kingdoms, and Geralt is contacted by the Emperor who asks him to find Ciri. In the midst of these events, a supernatural army known as the Wild Hunt appears in the region, threatening to obliterate everything in their path towards an unknown goal.

Wild Hunt is an action role-playing game, the third main installment in the Witcher series, and a sequel to Assassins of Kings. Most gameplay elements from the previous games have been carried over, including the usage of two sword types for different classes of enemies, usage of magic, a skill-based character growth, and an extensive alchemy system allowing Geralt to ingest mutagens for various benefits. Combat system has been slightly modified to allow smoother fighting against multiple opponents and usage of long-ranged weapons. Weapon and armor customization options have been noticeably increased. Like before, certain sections of the story are dictated by the player's moral choices, which are also present in the game's more prominent side quests.

Other Votes: NCartwright15 (5.), DeweyDecibel (9.), Alex840 (21.), Demmue (8.), tokeffee9 (28.), Sentinel Beach (14.), TechnoRage1127 (14.), Inustar (23.), Faaip (3.), FF7Cloud (22.), Billy (2.), Tokyo Slim (3.)

Links:
    Wikipedia
    Mobygames
    Gameplay on Youtube

• Haven't played The Witcher 3 yet. I thought The Witcher 1 was obtuse, and The Witcher 2 was portentous and awkward, so I thought the third might continue that trend, but was refreshed to hear it's very different from the previous entries.

A handful of people I really respect when it comes to gaming really enjoyed it, and I have a friend who's offered to lend it to me a couple times, so I'm looking forward to playing it!

• 8. The Witcher III: Wild Hunt (2015)

My number 8 was the over all number 8 as well. That worked out nicely. This game was a surprise hit for me as I played the first two games as they came out and thought that they were only "OK", 6/10 games. I didn't have any hype for this game but when I got it I was amazed by the quality of it, especially the storytelling and interesting side-quests. I was worried that it would be a massive directionless game like Skyrim but the sheer quality of every aspect blew my mind. My wife is playing it at the moment (level 34) and I'm even having fun watching her discover areas and beating Witcher contracts. It was my Game of the Year 2015 and my vote for game of the generation!

• I really gotta play The Witcher 3, I think the first two are good, but not amazing, but the way people talk about it would be something I really like, but I think I'm gonna wait until next year when I've got time for it.

• Re: The EZA Top 100 Videogames Countdown!

I don't know how to put into words what I loved about Witcher 3, I don't understand why it had me hooked. I rarely care about game characters, story, lore, relationships etc. In Witcher 3 I cared a little, I would actually read / scan through some diaries and logs and I wouldn't skip all the cutscenes.or dialogues. I wanted to explore every question mark on the map and once I began I couldn't stop, the game just made me want to explore every aspect of it.

Although it's seen as a negative to many I liked that enemies didn't scale to your level, I remember enjoying a challenging battle with a basilisk, which was way beyond my level, which meant I couldn't take more than 1 hit, took hours to finally bring it down, that was actually fun. The game gets criticised for its combat but I didn't mind it, a big improvement over Witcher 2 for me.

It also has the best expansion (dlc) I have ever played. Blood and Wine is truly awesome. The side quests in particular were exceptionally well made. The quest of in which you have to withdraw money from the bank is one I will never forget.

Witcher 3 in my eyes is one a few games that actually does the PC justice, great visuals in a open world, runs great with good scalability, playing at 60fps or beyond is beautiful and also makes great use of my 5.1 speaker set up, it outshines many AAA PC games for performance. If only other game developers could look to this game as an example.

And there's Gwent!

• i almost didnt play witcher 3 last june i was in a bit of the slump nothing i truly wanted to play came out after bloodborne. so i had some spare cash and some spare time and needed a summer game. so i went to my local walmart to buy elder scrolls online. however upon looking at the back of the game and seeing a 75gb install and the fact that its a online mmo and would need constant updates turned me off. i live in the middle of nowhere and while i have "high speed internet" its quite slow 1.5mb/s on the best days. i picked up single player focused witcher 3 instead and well i dont regret it. most open world games eventually lose me. i need focus in my games this game combines great linear story telling along with a awesome open world most side-quest feel like legitimate stories. the witcher 3 is what im expecting out of final fantasy 15's open world.

• I have no context for the Witcher III, so I can't give comments about the game itself. However, I will say the game impresses me with the sheer scope of its content. Also, this is the most votes for a single game right? These kinds of details are just several things I like to look at. Hmmm... Let's see what could still remain:

Metal Gear Solid
    Final Fantasy VII
    Super Mario Bros. 3
    The Last of Us
    Shadow of the Colossus
    The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
    Mass Effect 2

Most confident: FF VII, SMB 3, SotC, LoZ: OoT
    Least confident: TLoU, MGS, ME 2

@FF7Cloud Also, to your point about FF XV's expectations: Per Tabata: The 1st half of the game is going to be open whereas the second half will more scripted. Not linear per se, but still guide you in the direction to finishing the game. I can't remember what interview he said this in, but I remember it because it's a critical factor in establishing my expectations.

FF XV will be good, I just don't think it'll be phenomenal. Granted with 10 years since first reveal, there will be that mindset of "It better be great!" But I urge you and anyone else to keep in mind that there is no way it could live up to the weight of the gaming world (pretty much) focusing in on it.

Granted, I hear preview coverage is going well, but I'm media blackout on the game from this point forward: No Omen trailer, no coverage, nothing. I can sit and hope that people (myself included) at the very least enjoy it, but I'm terrified because of its development and high profile status, it could be as big as the Witcher III and it will still fail.

Time will tell as we have just under four weeks, but regardless: I'm going to buy it and play it. I'm just not expecting anything (Even with Brotherhood and Kingsglaive watched). And that just might be what FF XV needs.

• @Brannox said in The EZA Top 100 Videogames Countdown!:

Metal Gear Solid
    Final Fantasy VII
    Super Mario Bros. 3
    The Last of Us
    Shadow of the Colossus
    The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
    Mass Effect 2

I think you're right about those forming the Top 7, I can't think of any other game that could realistically take their place. That being said, I would be surprised to see Super Mario Bros. 3 placed so high on the list, I had no idea it was so beloved by many. yes, it's a classic, but I wouldn't say it's better than Super Mario World or Donkey Kong Country 2, Returns or Tropical Freeze.

Also The Last of Us, meh.

• as long as ff15 is better than 13 which i think it will be ill be satisfied.

• Woo I totally forgot about The Witcher! I absolutely loved that game and I'm still sad that I can't play it for the first time again. I really liked how it opened up different areas as you progressed (kind of like 2 I suppose) it really made it feel like you were on an epic adventure and there was a reason for you to visit these places, as opposed to just having everything available at once. I loved how the side quests had interesting story lines of their own, even if they only took a few minutes to complete, and stories that weren't even part of a quests that could be pieced together with notes found in the world. Not to mention the 2 fantastic DLC's that were more fleshed out than most full price games. Easily one of my favorite games and gaming adventures of all time

I honestly had no complaints playing through it and was actually a bit surprised to hear how many people disliked the combat. Its not the best but I didn't have many issues with it. Here's hoping Cyberpunk actually comes out and continues the trend!

• Great list from what I can tell, there are actually quite a few on it that I haven't even had a chance to play yet that loom pretty great.