The EZA Top 100 Videogames!

• I'm way way way too far behind on this list, and the things I want to say about each game are getting progressively longer, so I'm going to post from 43(where I left off last)-21 right now and post 20-11 hopefully later today. Sorry that these aren't the most relevant games that I'm talking about, but I'm having far too much fun not to take my time talking about everything!

43. Deus Ex - Wow, 4 votes in the top 5! This is clearly a game that strongly impacted those it impacted. Getting that Deus Ex retrospective recently was such a treat and did a way better job explaining the significance of this game than I ever could. I have never played a Deus Ex game and would absolutely love to go back to the originally. However, due to my ever growing backlog (this list is not helping at all) I may have to skip to Human Revolution. However if any of you are thinking of going back @Exist-2-Inspire recommended me the Deus Ex: Revision mod to help deal with some of the aspects of Deus Ex that haven't aged so well and bring out the gem of a game that this is.

42. World of Warcraft - What other game still has as many active players over 10 years later? None that I know of. I couldn't convince my parents to pay for a subscription back in vanilla and I just never felt the desire to go back so I've completely missed WoW. I'm definitely jealous of those who've been able to grow up with this game over the past 10 years.

41. Banjo-Kazooie - Oh no, I forgot about Banjo Kazooie! I can't say for sure whether or not it would have made my top 30, but i feel awful that I didn't even think about it. I never owned Banjo, but we certainly rented it several times. This game is so much fun and watching Kyle play it for the first time is bringing back the best memories. If you don't understand why Banjo is here, go and watch some Fun Game Monday and you'll understand.

40. Journey - I shamefully have not played Journey, but I swear, it is the second game I'll play when I get my PS4! I really enjoyed playing through ABZU earlier this year - and given how that was received compared to Journey - I simply cannot wait to find out exactly what makes this game so magical. Also, @tokeffe will never forgive me if I don't play it.

39. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past - Like I've said before, I didn't own an SNES growing up. So I completely missed A Link to the Past when it came out. I decided upon the announcement of SNES n3DS virtual console that I would go back an play ALttP for the first time. I screwed up and played it with the mindset of getting through it as quickly as possible and I didn't let myself get submersed in the world. I got lost, realised my mistake, and decided to quit for the time being. I'll go back, and next time I'll do better.

38. Halo: Combat Evolved - The game that made the success of the Xbox possible. I can't say a whole lot about Halo: CE other than that I hope one day we can get another Halo that lives up to the standards set by CE.

37. Diablo II - I have barely played Diablo II, so I won't talk much. I just remember several of my friends absolutely worshiping this game when it came out. I definitely think it deserves this place on this list.

36. Shenmue - Oh Shenmue, please get remastered. Some of my best memories of GT are from Shenmue and Shenmue II. I honestly don't know if I'd feel as strongly about the allies if I didn't get to share those streams with them. Please bring these games to the current gen so that I and so many other people can get lost in them!

35. Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door (Personal Ranking: 17 ) - I honestly wasn't expecting to see Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door on this list. I adore TTYD but I didn't realise it was actually loved as anything more than a joke within the EZA community. There are so many things I love about this game. The characters are the perfect mix of familiar and wacky. The writing is funny in a smart way. The world is fresh and full of surprises. Of Glitz and Glory may just be my favourite chapter in any game ever! I think about TTYD so often and I'm so glad it has inspired so many of you!

34. Mass Effect - Another classic I haven't played. Sci-fi wasn't my thing when ME came out and then when ME3 came out and I was a bigger fan of sci-fi I didn't really have the time to go back so I just skipped it. Maybe I'll still go back, maybe I'll hop in with Andromeda - we'll see. Either way, I'm glad so many others didn't miss this game and loved it enough to place it here.

33. Batman: Arkham City - I thoroughly enjoyed Arkham City. Just flying around in that world is fun, the combat is simple but it feels good, and predator sections are thrilling the first dozen times. And that Mr. Freeze boss fight is just one of the best. Great game! I'm so happy to get to think about it again.

32. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask - I've tried playing through Majora's Mask several times and just never finish it. I think I just always get 80% of the way through a dungeon, don't have enough time to finish it and just don't want to have to do it all over again. I get why people love this game. Clocktown is a living town unlike anything else at that time. The tone is dark and the constantly clicking clock weighs down on you. I love the idea of it, but the timer just makes me anxious and I have a hard time actually enjoying the game. MM just isn't for me, but I'm happy to see that it's so loved!

31. Dragon Age: Origins - Sorry Dragon Age. I haven't played it, and with all the classics I've missed and newer games like Pillars of Eternity I don't think I'll ever get around to it. I'm glad there's still a love for these types of games and I hope I can gain that love too.

30. The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - Well, I was correct to expect a couple ES games above the Fallouts. I missed Oblivion, but from what I've seen there are a few things I like about Oblivion more than Skyrim (spell creation being a major one). Can't say whole lot more about it. Surprised to see it getting more votes than Skyrim, and even more surprised to see it placing lower than Skyrim despite more votes.

29. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (Personal Ranking: 13 ) - Very few games have caused to to role-play the way Skyrim did. I played probably close to 200 hours across 6 or so characters and I always had new ideas for classes I wanted to try out next. There is so much freedom to just play as who you want to play and I'm very very tempted to hop back in now that the remaster is out.

28. Final Fantasy Tactics - Another game that I've missed that is very much so on my shortlist for games I want to go back to. Can't say a whole lot more other than that it would be really cool to see a modern FF Tactics.

27. Bioshock - I've already said earlier that I don't care for Bioshock to the same degree as the general populous. That said, going into Bioshock for the first time was magic. Entering the lighthouse at the beginning and hearing La Mer with Django Reinhardt and Stéphane Grappeli start playing stirred feelings I'll never forget. There was absolutely a honeymoon period with Bioshock, but it didn't last forever. Even the twist was great, but everything after that was just sour to me. And the boss fight... possibly one of my least favourite in video games. Just awful. But there are definitely redeeming parts to Bioshock (entering Rapture for the first time, and Sander Cohen's level come to mind). I'm going to try and remember those parts more prominently from now on.

26. Final Fantasy VI - Out of all of the Final Fantasy's I haven't played (which is all but the first), this is the first on my list to play "soon"!

25. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (Personal Ranking: 27 ) - Excellent game! Not a whole lot I can say about it other than that it's just pure action movie fun!

24. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker - I adore the art style Wind Waker. I want more games that look as pretty as WW!

23. Final Fantasy VIII - Can't say much. Not going to. You keep doing you, Final Fantasy fans! See you all again in a few!

22. Half-Life 2 - Oooo, what can I say about Half-Life 2? Of course it's here, of course it deserves to be here, and of course, I shamefully have not played it. I swear I will soon, because I need to understand the love, I need to feel the pain of never getting HL3, and if the impossible does happen and HL3 somehow - no matter how infinitesimal the chance is - get announced, I need to be ready!

21. Pokémon Red/Blue/Yellow - Pokémon, Harry Potter, and Mario are the three biggest things from my childhood that I've carried with me through to adulthood and remained obsessed with. It feels like on wasn't in my day Pokémon wasn't in my life and the very next I was fully enveloped in the games (we had both Blue and Yellow), the cards, and the anime. I've sunk who-knows-how-many hundreds of hours into first-gen, and it continues to bring me joy to this day! Brandon Plays Pokémon was so much more fun than I think any of us could have ever anticipated, and the passion behind first-gen Pokémon is what made Pokémon Go the fun little adventure it was for that first month or so (I quit pretty early on, though I still have many friends still playing daily). The art, the sounds, and the monsters introduced in first-gen are what have kept Pokémon in the back of my mind for the past 18 years, and these are games I will always go back to regularly because - no matter what else is going on in my life - they bring me home.

Thanks again for putting up with me! L&R

• @Mr-M And for me, that's what makes it fun. You're right; any game could be next. Anticipation is a hell of a motivator.

alt text
    7. Metal Gear Solid (1998) - 254 Points - 14 Votes - Highest Vote: #1 BlazingBahamut

Developer: Konami
    Publisher: Konami
    Genre: Action Adventure, stealth
    Platform(s): PlayStation, Microsoft Windows

Metal Gear Solid is a sequel to Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake. After the tragic confrontation with Big Boss, the hero, special agent Solid Snake, decided to retire and has since then lived in a secluded region in Alaska. But the US government recruits him once again for a dangerous mission. The members of Foxhound, a renegade special forces unit, threaten to use a devastating nuclear weapon if the government doesn't hand them the mortal remains of Big Boss, their former commander. Foxhound is now led by a talented, ambitious young man with the codename Liquid Snake. Knowing that the visual resemblance between this new terrorist mastermind and himself can not be coincidental, Solid Snake agrees to infiltrate the new Foxhound base, destroy the unknown nuclear weapon, and find the truth about his own identity.

The gameplay in Metal Gear Solid follows the prototype established in the two earlier Metal Gear games. Solid Snake has a limited arsenal of weapons and cannot allow himself to pave his way to the goal by killing all the enemies. He has to stay unnoticed, hide, crawl, wait for the right moment, sneak, and use various gadgets that will prevent him from alerting the enemy. Boss battles and some other sequences are played out as action-oriented set pieces, with the player having to figure out the weakness of the enemy in order to succeed.

Other Votes: Alex840 (14.), tokeffee9 (7.), DeweyDecibel (30.), Churchy (5.), Pyro (12.), DanteThePyro (26.), blakynt (4.), Tearju Engi (6.), TechnoRage1127 (12.), jipostus (8.), FF7Cloud (20.), Exist 2 Inspire (28.), MCRMJ (7.)

Links:
    Wikipedia
    Mobygames
    Gameplay on Youtube

• 10. Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4
    Great JRPG but I think I prefer PES3FES

09. Dark Souls
    Never played

08. The Witcher III
    Never played

07. Metal Gear Solid
    This and the remake are the only MGS games I like, as child though I only played the german version which has very bad german voice acting you nowadays only expect from low budget games. I do prefer the remake though tbh.
    Youtube Video

With every entry not being FFVII I get more excited, I put it on my #2 spot.

• MGS seems like a no-brainer and with 14 votes, I feel right about predicting it with confidence as opposed to going out on a whim. As per the last several entries: Haven't played it. Can't speak to it. Although I did consider for a while getting into the series, I've decided against it.

Ya know, I'm going to get the following wrong, but I'm predicting the following IN ORDER:

The Last of Us, then Mass Effect 2, followed by Shadow of the Colossus with Final Fantasy VII taking the bronze, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time grabbing silver and Super Mario Bros. 3 given the EZA Community's Top Game.

• Gah MSG and FF are two intimidating franchises that I've never touched.. Someday

• Well sh*t, now I'm even more concerned about the fate of one Leon S. Kennedy. Six spots left, and the list Brannox wrote down seems pretty reasonable, as I'm sure many others have speculated the same way, more or less.

But I'll be extremely surprised if there's no RE4 love in this community. But then again: what do you take out of there? Personally I'd switch ME2 out of there, but it'd be weird too if it's not on the whole list. But this high seems wrong to me. Or maybe everyone forgot to vote for SMB3 or something.

This is insane.

• So at this point, I think it's safe to say Earthbound isn't making the list. We are absolute monsters. Well not myself, because I voted for that glorious, quirky RPG, but the rest of you? Foul beasts.

Can we remove FF8 and replace it with Earthbound? Please and thanks.

• Come now everybody, let's not lose our minds before the full list revealed.

That comes after :-)

But in all seriousness, I can't wait to see what the next reveals will be. Also, I forgot what the plan was to show off all the games that didn't make it, but I will be the first to pledge to post my full list (With one alteration that I will identify. Trust me, that alteration involves games that won't make the list regardless) so anyone can see my personal 30 games, and how I ranked them, leaving open the opportunity for anyone who would like to talk about (or disparage ;-) ) my favorites.

Now, I wonder what #6 will be... I made my prediction, but I'm eager to see how wrong I am...

alt text
    6. Super Mario Bros. 3 (1988) - 268 Points - 13 Votes - Highest Vote: #2 DeweyDecibel

Developer: Nintendo
    Publisher: Nintendo
    Genre: Jump N' Run
    Platform(s): NES, GameBoy Advance

Bowser is back, and along with the Bowser kids, he's out to spoil Mario's day once again. This time, along with nabbing the Princess, the Bowser crew have also taken the magic wands from the Kings of each land and turned them into creatures. It's up to Mario and Luigi to get back the magic wands, defeat Bowser, and save the Princess all before the day is done.

Old and new power-ups abound in each level for the Mario Brothers, including the return of the Super Mushroom and Fire Flower, plus the new power-ups including the frog suit, the warp flute, and the most important of all, the leaf, which allows the player to fly and attack enemies with your tail.

Other Votes: Pyro (11.), NCartwright15 (7.), Demmue (4.), tokeffee (6.), TechnoRage1127 (10.), Inustar (5.), SabotageTheTruth (10.), Ringedwithtile (9.), Musou Tensei (24.), Tokyo Slim (18.), bard91 (18.), FF7Cloud (11.)

Links:
    Wikipedia
    Mobygames
    Gameplay on Youtube

• The genre listing for Super Mario Bros. 3 is cracking me up. Confirmed, 3 is better than World.

• still have this game complete in box sitting on my shelf.

• @SabotageTheTruth It's the european way of saying platformer.

Super Mario Bros. 3
    Well like I said when SMW popped up, I think SMW is superior, but of course 3 is a great game.

• Ha, I thought it would be number one. I knew I would be super wrong. Ah, well. What really matters is the game itself and I agree its a solid one. I prefer the original Super Mario Bros., but when I find the rare opportunity to play this when the mood strikes, I always have a fun time. A great game that is worthy of such lofty praise.

Another little detail I'm starting to wonder about: What (if at all) will be the game that gets over 300 cumulative points? Or how about what (again if at all) game will be the first to garner 15 votes? At this point, no matter what, it's going to continue to be awesome.

And by the way, we're now to the TOP 5 GAMES!! (According to all of us)

• @Musou-Tensei Is that so? I like that title a lot more than platformer, honestly.

• Top 5 inbound! Are you going to limit it to 1 per day now? I'd love some extra anticipation...

• @TokyoSlim said in The EZA Top 100 Videogames Countdown!:

I have never actually played any of the RE games, therefore none of them are on my list.

This is the reason I didn't put in a list - I'm honestly not too sure if I've even played 100 games to begin with, let alone played enough of the "good" ones to justify a list on them.
    Actually that got me thinking;
    29 steam games with any playtime associated with them
    5 "other" PC games non steam related
    12 NES
    4 Game Boy
    2 GBA
    7 DS/3DS
    6 SNES
    13 N64
    7 PS1
    9 PS2
    31 PS3
    So I have owned and played a grand total of 125 games over my entire existence. No chance in hell would I have been able to put a proper list out there!

• @Mr-M But we all needed only to make our Top 30 lists, not Top 100 from everybody. From all those Top 30s was then this one giant Top 100 list compiled.

• So at this point a game that's still not here either got less than 57 points and didn't make the list at all or it got more than 268 points and is on top 5. And I'm repeating myself, yes, sorry, but I really, really feel that both RE4 and ME2 won't be here. It feels absurd that CoD 4 beat one of those games and made it to #100. [Or then it beat one of the following, which would be even crazier.]

Or will Shadow of the Colossus be the odd one out? It's on my list, but not with that many points, to be honest.

I do feel that FFVII, The Last of Us and Ocarina of Time are 100 % still coming.

• @Sentinel-Beach There is NO way that Mass effect 2 isn't on this list. ME3 made it in after all.

I will be kinda disappointed in everyone if Shadow of the Colossus isn't here...