The EZA Top 100 Videogames!

• wow 6 top 2 votes the game hasnt aged well, but here it is the first entry in the top 5.

• Wow. I had honestly envisioned FFVII as #1. This was a surprise.

Nobuo Uematsu's music changed my life with this one. Truly a classic in every sense of the word.

• First off: TOP 5!!! Super happy to see my favorite game of all time make it so deep! Sure, I would've loved top spot, and it would've been nice to medal, but I can not complain.

Second: Even though I'm not hung up at all about where it placed, I must (comically of course) cry out: ONE POINT from 300. If only ONE person put it down as their #30 game. Ahhhh!! ;-)

Third: I've gone into great detail for every entry I voted for, but because the game is so high on the list, I would be preaching to the choir. So instead, I want to do something a little different: I want to share my favorites: Moment, song, area, and character.

Fourth: Favorites -

Moment: Assaulting Shinra HQ (Both times). I don't know what it is, but that theme pounding during both raids, the story implications, and the overall aesthetic look so cool. It is without a doubt, my personal favorite moment in gaming.

Song - This is a slight cop-out because its a remix of the original version, but it's called, "Ascension to Cosmo Canyon," based off of course "Valley of the Fallen Star." But shout out to Cid's Theme!

Area - Midgar. Need I say more?

Character - Believe it or not, it's not Cloud or Sephiroth. In fact, it's Vincent. I find his motivations sorrowful and his past both irritating, and infuriating. While he is tricky to use, he is the most compelling member of the cast. And to think you can bypass him (literally) entirely!

Fifth: As always, I want to shout out everyone who voted for games I did as well, but because this is my favorite game, I recognize that I could probably get along with you all the most.

SO: My heartfelt thanks and "Hell. Yes." to: @BlazingBahamut, @Sentinel-Beach, @jipostus, @Inustar, @SabotageTheTruth, @TokyoSlim, @Sieghardt. Also: A resounding high five to: @Sheria, @blakynt, @Musou-Tensei, and @FF7Cloud with and an additional question: What game do you like better? I ask because whatever you enjoy must be one hell of a game :thumbsup: And finally to @Exist-2-Inspire, you rock. Simple as that.

Sixth and FINALLY: I'm pretty confident in saying I no longer have a game in the running. I still could, but I don't think so. I can give my reactions to where they place, and potential thoughts on if I've played them, but I believe I have nothing further to contribute to the thread beyond that.

Love and Respect Allies!! <3

• @Brannox my number 1 is 100% goin to be on this list maybe even next entry so i wont spoil it

• FF 7. A classic. No surprise that it's here. No need to say more.

• @Brannox

My #1 isnt gonna be on the list but I think most people will find it a reasonable pick and it is Grandia. I love the stories of both Grandia and FF7 but I genuinely believe the Grandia series has the best battle system of any RPG ever and that gets it to the top of my list

• @Sieghardt I've never played Grandia, so I can't speak to it, but cool! Thanks for sharing!

• FFVIi only 13 out of 44(?) put this on their top 30? Makes me more annoyed about missing the voting.

For me the best part of the game were putting together some amazing material combinations, people were still coming up with new ones years after the release.

The first game I've ever played which had mini games just blew my mind, I remember spending hours at the Gold Saucer, couldn't get enough of the battle arena.

Just experimenting with different tactics and combinations of taking on Ruby Weapon (the one near Gold Saucer) was one of the most engaging gameplay moments I've ever, I remember the pure relief and that "yes!" moment when I finally took down the toughest enemy in the game, it began the journey of taking on the baddest and best bosses the series had to offer.

I think it had a story or something.

• Ew, why'd you all nostalgia-vote for Pokemon?

alt text
    4. Mass Effect 2 (2010) - 304 Points - 16 Votes - Highest Vote: #1 Karu, Brandon_Reister

Developer: BioWare
    Publisher: EA
    Genre: Action-RPG
    Platform(s): PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Microsoft Windows

Saren and the Sovereign have been defeated and the Citadel has been saved. Depending on the player's choices made in the first Mass Effect, humanity may be all that's left of the Citadel Council. Of course that doesn't keep them from ignoring the former war-hero Shepard who knows that the threat from the Reapers is still real. Instead they send him or her on a boring mission to find some Geth in the Terminus system. The inevitable happens: a new enemy enters the scene, destroys Shepard's ship, the Normandy and kills the hero of the galaxy. End of game? No, not really. Cerberus, a known right-wing network, believes the threat from the Reapers to be real and only sees one chance of saving the human race: Shepard. So they invest millions upon millions of credits into the Lazarus project, and two years after Shepard died floating in space, he (she) reawakens on-board the Cerberus Station. The main mission given by Cerberus: find out more about the mysterious race of Collectors who abduct millions of human colonists for an unknown purpose, and figure out their possible connection to the Reapers.

Mass Effect 2 is a hybrid of third-person-shooter and role-playing game. After the prologue, where the player witnesses the destruction of the original Normandy, he has to create a new character and choose from one of six classes each with its own powers. The decision also influences which weapons the player can use during playthrough as only the soldier can wield every weapon in the game. During the course of the game the player and his squad-mates earn experience points by killing enemies, fulfilling missions and hacking safes in order to get a level up. For each level up between 1-20, two talent points are awarded, from 21 to the maximum level of 30 only one, with which the character's powers can be upgraded in four stages. Once the last upgrade has been purchased, a specialization has to be chosen making the talent even more powerful in one aspect. All this goes also for the player squad mates. The player starts with two companions at his side but can collect up to ten during the course of the game. While he is only allowed to bring two with him into a mission, the collected experience points will be equally shared with those that are left behind.

Other Votes: NCartwright15 (9.), Joetown (18.), Lotias (13.), benoit489 (17.), TechnoRage1127 (18.), naltmank (15.), Inustar (8.), Faaip (10.), Billy (3.), Tokyo Slim (5.), bard91 (27.), Exist 2 Inspire (10.), Brannox (20.), MCRMJ (17.)

Links:
    Wikipedia
    Mobygames
    Gameplay on Youtube

• I don't even have words for Mass Effect 2 ranking over FFVII.

alt text

Well, I guess I do after all.

• I think with the top ten especially, arguments can be made for any of these games to be number 1s.

• @SabotageTheTruth it's only 5 points though, one more list could have made the difference, looking at you @robert7lee :D

• @Exist-2-Inspire FFVII could have ranked number 1 and I'm still not too keen to live on this planet. Final Fantasy in space is the best way to play.

• Huh, so another game I voted for did indeed make it. For my thoughts, I appreciate the impact this game has however, there are four reasons why I like the first more:

1.) Character numbers: I really don't like being burdened down with so many choices when picking a team. That typically means many don't get used. And sure enough, that's what happens. The crew of the original game seemed like a solid number, but this game had way too many.

2.) Shooting mechanics: I don't like the transition from RPG to shooter. I found the move from a heat based system to ammo cliche because EVERY shooter deals with ammo (it feels like) and the venting system is something different.

3.) Resource gathering: Sure, it made getting resources so more meaningful. At first. But it was really annoying after a while, stopping at planet after planet to watching a bouncing up and graph.

4.) Play spaces: When I played the first, I was captivated by how open it seemed. Yes, many worlds are pretty barren, but for me, it beats the corridor design that feels like an overreaction where the majority of Mass Effect 2's gameplay takes place.

It may seem like I'm ragging on it, but hey, I love it enough to vote for it! It still is a phenomenal game. Especially with the many different permutations the Suicide mission can have!

And apparently, we're getting up there in votes! Easily the most yet so a massive two :thumbsup: to:

@Karu, @Brandon_Reister, @NCartwright15, @Joetown, @Lotias, @benoit489, @TechnoRage1127, @naltmank, @Inustar, @Faaip, @Billy, @TokyoSlim, @bard91, @Exist-2-Inspire, and @MCRMJ (Whew...)

• Choosing between ME and ME2 was really tough for me. I love the heavier rpg focus of ME but something about 2 just resonated with me more. It felt like a more polished game, even if it did lose some of the cool aspects of the first like @Brannox mentioned.

I love the character interactions and storylines a lot more in 2 and the culmination with the suicide mission was a fantastic payoff. I'm still haunted by poor Kelly's death

I've been meaning to go back and replay that series for awhile. There's too many games to play! Maybe before Andromeda :D

• Like I said I completely forgot the ME series when making my list. I think the 1st is still the best.

• SO glad to see FFVII get knocked off its high horse. I've never played it (I've always hated the PS1 for a large number of reasons), but I've tried watching gameplay, and it hurts my eyes. AWFUL in-game visuals, typical slow & mechanical JRPG battles, and the music is good, but not as emotional or memorable as Zelda music. The 2D Final Fantasies look and sound better.

The story/setting is pretty cool, though. Maybe the remake will redeem it...

• @Oscillator Any FF Music > Zelda ;-)

• @Exist-2-Inspire I didn't know this top 100 games was happening, somehow missed the post.

I don't like The first Mass Effect, found it he shooting and movement very clunky, which made up most of the game. I gave up on it put and vowed not to return. That is until that day I booted up the Mass Effect 2 demo, fired the pistol for the first time and it was love at first shot. Shooting was actually fun and it was way more fun using and combining powers.
    I ended up finishing the first ME because of this and that's the biggest compliment I can give ME2.

I remember being really tense when the Collectors showed up, to me they felt threatening and was very apprehensive going into the suicide mission for the first time. Could have done without the endless waves of respawning enemies.