The EZA Top 100 Videogames!
tokeeffe9 last edited by tokeeffe9
And for interests sake, my list
- Shadow of the Colossus
- Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
- The Last of Us
- Super Mario Bros 3
- Metal Gear Solid
- Pokemon Silver
- Super Mario Galaxy 2
- Uncharted 4
- SSX 3
- Timesplitters 2
- Dark Souls
- Burnout 3 Takedown
- God of War 2
- Devil May Cry 3
- Resident Evil 2
- Persona 4 Golden
- Uncharted 2
- Alien Isolation
- GTA San Andreas
- Bioshock Infinite
- Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
- Tekken 3
- Doom (OG)
- Zelda Skyward Sword
- The Witcher 3
- Metroid Prime
- Battlefield 3
Also to your point @tokeeffe9, I was stunned RE 4 didn't show. I even predicted it would when there was about 12 left to unveil. As for God of War, yeah, I'm bummed too, but oh well. At least some of my favorites made it and I'm more than content.
Sentinel Beach last edited by
Nice to see some love for Tekken 3. I had it as #8 on my list, propably the highest here. Really a classic, I feel.
@tokeeffe9 Yeah I was almost convinced that Burnout 3 would show up, quite high up in the list too!
Another surprise for me were to see that no Suikoden 2 showed up, I thought this was a big classic that tons of people loved.
@Brannox Thank you! looking back at my list now I would of shifted a couple around a little, but over all happy with my list! Also I think that if this would have been done by the end of the year I would of added Titanfall 2, that game is so much fun and a candidate for GOTY for me!
@Lotias Yeah, list creation is a fickle thing as there always seems to be a great game that comes out when they get created. I mean, FF XV and the Last Guardian are about to come out. And I'm sure there's going to be a lot of love for Persona 5 and Horizon.
Such is the nature of games.
@Brannox Yeah! This almost had me thinking that perhaps The top 100 should be done every year like this! but do it over the month of December or something!
Would be fun to see how the lists changes, however it means a lot of work.
Ya, I still need to get around to Suikoden 2. I did start it but other things got in the way. I'll get back to it.
DeweyDecibel last edited by DeweyDecibel
So, I'm super late to this party and still haven't commented of the top 20, but I'm just going to comment on them anyway! Thanks to anyone still reading this, and thank you once more to @Exist-2-Inspire for putting this together.
20. Super Mario Galaxy (Personal Ranking: 4 ) - Super Mario Galaxy is - to me - the pinnacle of 3D Mario games. There's not too terribly much I can say about it. The controls are incredibly tight, it's as pretty a game the Wii has, and it breathed life into Mario in a way that hadn't been done for me since 64 (Don't get me wrong; I absolutely love Sunshine)! I know a lot of people consider SMG2 to be superior to SMG, so I'm going to speak to that now. SMG2 is a near perfect game. It took SMG gameplay and somehow made it feel even better. The new power-ups were cool but even though it added variety it didn't do much for depth. I don't hold that against SMG2; I just don't think it improved the game all that much. What I really loved about SMG over the squeal was the hub world. It was a cozy place to hang out full of secrets and context and it really brought meaning to that world for me. It may seem like a small thing, but that's really what elevated SMG over SMG2 for me. I love both SMG and SMG2 - I've 100%'d both of them - but the original will always hold the dearest place in my heart.
19. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End - I haven't a chance to play Uncharted but - after hearing all of the rave reviews for it - I could not be more excited for it. I'm planning to play it over christmas, middle of the day, bright room, snow outside, and I'm going to love it. It's just a shame that this list isn't taking place a few month later so that I could add Uncharted 4!
18. Red Dead Redemption (Personal Ranking: 6 ) - Red Dead Redemption sold me on its world and characters in a way that very few games have. The characters are so well written and morality is handled more maturely than almost any other game I can think of. And that ending! I got my revenge and just felt empty afterward. Brilliant! RDR2, I don't know how you're going to top this game, but I can't wait to check it out!
17. Bloodborne - I'm honestly surprised to see Bloodborne outside of the top 10. Almost compromises the legitimacy of this as an EZA fan-list. I haven't had the opportunity to play Bloodborne yet, but I'm very excited to repeatedly run head-first into a wall with it.
16. Super Mario World (Personal Ranking: 29 ) - As I've said several times, I didn't have an SNES growing up so I had only played small amounts of SMW as a kid. I played through it in full for the first time this year and had a lot of fun. However there are some things in SMW that I think could be better. Super Mario World has my favourite mechanics of any 2D Mario (while I think the air twirl, wall jump, ground-pound, and triple-jump are great mechanics in a 3D Mario game, I think they added too much complexity to the movement in the New Super Mario Bros. games; less is often more), but SMW doesn't really have levels that take full advantage of the excellent move-set. Furthermore I think the game starts off too complex throwing several new mechanics at you in the first level and adds additional complexity at a slow rate. I simply don't like some of the enemies in SMW and the power ups can't compete with those in SMB3 - although I probably would rank the cape slightly above Racoon Mario. Either way, this game is incredible and deserves its place on the list.
15. Final Fantasy IX - Probably not surprising at this point that I know nothing about FFIX. Kinda surprised to see IX over VI, but what do I know?
14. Metal Gear Solid 3 (Personal Ranking: 1 ) - I played MGS3 for the first time last year and wow, I do not have enough words for this game! The character of Snake Eater is what makes it rise above the other Metal Gear Solids for me. To be clear, I'm not saying the other entries in the series are lacking in character (Guns of the Patriots and the Phantom Pain could probably be debated), but Snake Eater is just oozing with good vibes! It's a love letter to old spy movies in the best way and it absolutely enraptured me. The theme song is so good and utilised brilliantly. The set-piece moments in that game are unforgettable: the End, the Boss, the ladder climb for crying out loud! What other game is bold enough to put in something so stupidly amazing as the ladder climb? I'll admit that a lot of the positions on my list are pretty abstractly assigned (we're debating the slightest edges between games that are all 10s here), but there was never any doubt that Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater is my favourite game of all time.
13. Pokémon Gold/Silver/Crystal (Personal Ranking: 8 ) - I already gave quite the impassioned speech for Pokémon here when the first-gen games came up on this list. Build on that first game by fine-tuning the balance and adding several solid new mechanics and you already have an amazing game. Then add in basically the entirety of the first-gen games as essentially a second quest and you get gen-two Pokémon! Pokémon Gold ruled my life for a couple years and to this day there are few cooler moments in gaming than finding and battling Red - canonically the player character from the first-gen games - at the top of Mt. Silver. I know it's only Pokémon, but I still get chills every time I think about that moment. Thank you Satoru Iwata for making this game possible.
12. Super Mario 64 (Personal Ranking: 7 ) - Super Mario 64 was my - like many people's - first 3D game and even today it still does 3D platforming better than almost anything else. Super Mario 64 feels good. That's really all there is to it. It felt good when it came out and it will continue to feel good forever because it is built entirely around that singular ideal. I play SM64 ever year around the holidays and I can't wait for this year's play-through.
11. Chrono Trigger - I have a DS copy sitting on my desk right now. I swear I'll play it soon. Chrono Trigger lovers forgive me, but I am working on righting this wrong!
FF7Cloud last edited by
mgs3 is a master piece i played the games in order just months before 4 came out i bought that box set. the first one was amazing the second was a chore to get through . i didnt know to take a break or not after i didnt enjoy 2 that much but i didnt and im glad this game from start was amazing and then that ending that ending hit me like a truck and whenever i replay it and hear eva say "she was a true patriot" i cry along with big boss.
Brannox last edited by Brannox
1000th post just for the hell of it.
EDIT: Well, this is now pointless what with the ending discussion moved elsewhere. Bummer :smirk:
Let's all rejoice that we're getting the MGS3 remake we all deserve... thanks Konami ;(
FF7Cloud last edited by
Let's all rejoice that we're getting the MGS3 remake we all deserve... thanks Konami
tokeeffe9 last edited by tokeeffe9
I think it's worth moving the discussion to a separate topic. I was hoping to preserve this one so people could come in and comment on the list as opposed to speculating further lists.
Discussion on new lists has been moved here
SabotageTheTruth last edited by
Looks like this list is still getting some love from the community comments video and rightfully so.
Ya I just wanted people who might not use the forums to check it out!
SabotageTheTruth last edited by
@Exist-2-Inspire laying out those sick burns in the YouTube comment section, represent!
@SabotageTheTruth Agreed about @Exist-2-Inspire's response. Goes to show someone sees the list and shows they weren't there for the conversations, nor takes the time to go through some of it. Do I agree about positioning of a majority of this list? Not at all. But being there, as it happened, talking with everyone, seeing it be revealed, was so great. I will always stand by this list. All day. Every day. Any day.
Guest last edited by
So, should we consider this the community hall of the greats?
jipostus last edited by jipostus
@Nillend One could say that, but I think we could make our own, separate Hall of greats as well, but we need others to have their say on subject.
TokyoSlim last edited by TokyoSlim
I think the hall of greats should be run differently than a top 100 list. I don't really know how that works in a forum setting yet, but I've been thinking about it for a few days. I like the "challenge" portion of the nomination process.
I also like that a limited number of games at a time get in.