The EZA Top 100 Videogames!

• I'll follow the trend. Bolded means they didn't make the grand list.

1-Final Fantasy Tactics
    2-Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
    3-Persona 4: Golden
    4-Persona 3
    5-Silent Hill 2
    6-Bioshock Infinite
    7-Final Fantasy VII
    8-Undertale
    9-Fallout 3
    10-Super Mario Bros. 3
    11-Xenogears
    12.-Bioshock
    13-Transistor
    14-Overwatch
    15-Earthbound
    16-Hotline Miami
    17-DOOM (original)
    18-Final Fantasy X
    19-Mario Kart 64
    20-Pokemon Gold/Silver
    21-Shadow Hearts
    22-Soma
    23-The Stanley Parable
    24-Left 4 Dead 2
    25-Elder Scrolls: Oblivion
    26-Fire Emblem: Awakening
    27-Guardian Heroes
    28-Marvel vs. Capcom 3
    29-Halo: Reach
    30-Awesomenauts

I definently rushed the last part of my list, forgetting games like Metal Gear Solid and Suikoden even existed, so some of those bottom entries would probably get removed and shuffled a bit. That top 10 is solid though and likely won't change for awhile... until Persona 5 comes out.

• I also just realized this thread is four weeks old with over 25 thousand views. Wow. Can this, like, be pinned so it doesn't fall out of not being used posted in for a couple of days?

• @SabotageTheTruth Stanley Parable is a great pick. Also Marvel v Capcom is a good call (though I would have picked 2 for my list)

• @SabotageTheTruth I just did a cross check of the list and realized you said Bioshock Infinite wasn't on the list when in fact it placed 66th. Just wanted you to know :thumbsup:

• @Brannox Woops, good catch! I'm so used to the hate for that game, I forgot it even made it on here, haha.

• @SabotageTheTruth I like it myself, but obviously not enough to place it in the top 30. I need to find time to go back to that game.

• @Brannox That remaster is calling your name.

1. Persona 4/Persona 4 Golden
    2. Nier
    3. Papers Please
    4. Persona 3/FES/P3P
    5. Psychonauts
    6. Suikoden V
    7. Victoria 2
    8. Dragon Age Origins
    9. Civilization V
    10. Odin Sphere
    11. Banjo Kazooie
    12. Paper Mario Thousand Year Door
    13. Undertale
    14. Brutal Legend
    15. Super Mario Galaxy
    16. Paper Mario
    17. Valkyria Chronicles
    18. South Park The Stick of Truth
    19. Super Mario Bros 3
    20. Donkey Kong 64
    21. 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors
    22. Catherine
    23. Tony Hawk Underground 2
    24. Spec Ops The Line
    25. Super Smash Bros
    26. Bioshock
    27. Mass Effect 2
    28. Metal Gear Solid 2
    29. Dishonored
    30. Dragon Ball Z Budokai 3

I have no qualms with my top 12, with the exceptions of some possible changes to the order of some games, but after that there are quite a few I wouldn't have included if I have put more thought into it, specifically ME2, DBZ Budokai 3.Smash and probably Dishonored

I should have at least included Deus Ex, GTA San Andreas, Okami, and probably Symphon of the Night.

Anyhow I think the list is pretty good, obviously some things don't really fit my taste, and there are games that I think are down right bad, but after all is said and done, this seems to me like the most balanced and respectable top 100 list I've seen, even if Psychonauts and Nier not being in there is a crime.

Great work from @Exist-2-Inspire , definitively something that should be done again.

• Oh god more lists T_T

• 77 point difference. Not even close.

I prefer MM to OOT, obviously (#3 and #6 on my list respectively). But OOT is still a heck of a game. It's got size, length, presentation, atmosphere, characters, music, attention to detail, and ease of use, all here in absolute AAA form.

The issues I have with it are few and minor. The visuals are a little dated on the technical side, but the art style is still pretty solid. The world is kind of empty in places, but not to a critical degree. The story is probably the weakest part. Simple, derivative, and almost paid lip service. But this is a game that is simply a joy to PLAY. It is easily one of the most well thought out games of its kind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kh2raO1Kmmk
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkYEJXN2QWk
    Youtube Video

alt text

9 games from my list got voted in. They were, in order:

#3. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (Voted #32)
    #4. The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (Voted #30)
    #6. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (Voted #1)
    #7. Halo 1 (Voted #38)
    #8. Star Fox 64 (Voted #89)
    #9. Banjo-Kazooie (Voted #41)
    #10. GoldenEye 007 (Voted #54)
    #13. Super Smash Bros. Melee (Voted #62)
    #19. Pokémon Red & Blue (Voted #21)

Other games on the list that I've played:

85 - The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
    73 - Halo 2
    69 - Mario Kart 64
    68 - Halo 3
    64 - Ōkami
    35 - Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door
    29 - The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
    24 - The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
    13 - Pokemon Gold/Silver/Crystal

And finally, games on the list that I WANT to play:

76 - Half-Life
    48 - Metroid Prime
    26 - Final Fantasy VI
    07 - Metal Gear Solid

As you can see, I'm a pretty picky gamer, targeting high quality, high production value games, and largely eschewing 2D games, JRPGs, PlayStation games, and PC games. But although I don't play a large quantity, the vast majority of games that I do play are immensely satisfying. Next up, Dirt Rally, Rocket League, Yooka-Laylee, and Breath of the Wild! :D

• @Exist-2-Inspire This was well done. You should be proud. You made day better for a lot of people :D

• Since it's full disclosure time, I'll reveal my list too (bolded the ones that didn't make it):

1 - Super Metroid (#71)
    2 - Baldur's Gate II (#65)
    3 - Baldur's Gate
    Hard to dissociate the two, they are part of the same grand epic adventure, but it's normal that most votes went to the sequel which brought so many improvements.

4 - Metroid Prime (#48)
    5 - Deus Ex (#43)
    6 - Secret of Mana (#97)
    7 - Diablo II (#37)
    8 - Batman: Arkham City (#33)
    9 - Batman: Arkham Asylum
    Same as above, I don't think many people like one without liking the other, but obviously City is more accomplished.

10 - Chrono Trigger (#11)
    11 - Diablo
    The original was so unique in its gameplay and atmosphere, hypnotizing. I wish that one had been represented for what it brought to the industry as a whole.

12 - Dead Space
    Really sad this series didn't make the list. For me the first game was a masterpiece, and I rank it higher than any Resident Evil game in terms of survival horror. It also innovated a lot in other areas, such as its UI, sound design, gameplay (shoot the limbs). This game was much more ambitious than people seem to realize, and it was executed perfectly. I really admire the team at Visceral for their work on this.

13 - Mega Man X
    How could you people forget Mega Man?? Or did everyone vote for a different game in the series? Best action-platformer by far!

14 - Pokémon Diamond/Pearl
    15 - Final Fantasy VI (#26)
    16 - Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (#44)
    17 - Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
    This has got to be a case of "not enough people played it". One of the finest platformers ever made.

18 - Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (#49)
    19 - The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
    Hehehehehe. Yup.

20 - Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
    I would also assume not enough people played it. I enjoyed it more than Human Revolution, I got so immersed in this game. But at least the series is well represented in the list.

21 - The Walking Dead: A Telltale Games Series (#51)
    22 - Broken Sword: The Shadow of the Templars
    Was never going to make the Top 100, but I have such fond memories of this game. Not much of a PC gamer so this was actually my first point-and-click adventure game, and it really struck a chord with me, got me interested in the Templar order, got me to read all sorts of history books about them, and so on. So quite a big impact on my life as a whole, deserved a spot in my list.

23 - The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (#30)
    24 - The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (#39)
    25 - Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (#61)
    26 - Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory
    An outrageous oversight by y'all! No Splinter Cell? I thought I played it safe by picking Chaos Theory as it's easily recognized as the pinnacle of the series, and still you failed me! Shame!

27 - Uncharted 4: A Thief's End (#19)
    28 - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Trials and Tribulations
    Hard to pick one game in the series, but this one had the cases I enjoyed the most and was, dare I say, the culmination of the original trilogy. I guess this is the curse of the series with too many games, the votes end up being split.

29 - Gears of War 2
    Surprised that series also didn't get love, although by placing it #29 I didn't give it much of a chance myself.

30 - Brütal Legend
    Guilty pleasure. A very flawed game but with a lot of charm and made with love!

Interestingly, I didn't vote for a single game that made the Top 10.

• I can't believe it's over! Great job @Exist-2-Inspire! This was a ton of fun! As others are doing, here's my list (bolded titles are the ones that didn't make it). There were definitely a ton of upsets to me in terms of placing, but I can say I at least agree with the majority of the titles that made it onto the final list.

1. Chrono Trigger
    2. Mario Galaxy
    3. Final Fantasy 6
    4. Pokemon G/S/C (Gen 2)
    5. Mario 64
    6. Super Mario World
    7. Shadow of the Colossus
    8. Undertale
    9. Super Smash Bros. Melee
    10. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
      11. Ni No Kuni - Really thought this one would make it, given the JRPG love!
    11. Journey
    12. Kingdom Hearts 2
    13. Uncharted 2
    14. Mass Effect 2
    15. Super Mario 3D World
    16. Metal Gear Solid 4
    17. Red Dead Redemption
      19. God of War 2 - No God of War games appearing at all was a bit of a shock, too
    18. Ico
      21. Limbo - I love this kind of minimalist storytelling
      22. Tetris - I guess I'm a filthy casual?
    19. Super Metroid
      24. Mario Kart 8 - Mario Kart 64 made it instead, which I'm totally fine with
    20. The Last of Us
    21. Metroid Prime
    22. Halo 3
    23. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
      29. Wii Sports - Further proof I'm a casual, but I had a ton of fun with this game.
    24. Batman: Arkham City

24/30 ain't bad! I'm chalking it up in the win column!

• @Haru17 said in The EZA Top 100 Videogames Countdown! (COMPLETE):

I just hope the rest of you realize how utterly fucking pedestrian it is to put Ocarina of Time above all the other 3D Zeldas. (Admittedly the expected result, given that this top 100 list was aggregated based on a measure of popularity.)

Amen.

• Here's my list:

1. Ancient Domains of Mystery
    2. Turrican II (Amiga 500)
    3. Chrono Trigger
    4. Deus Ex (PC)
    5. Final Fantasy VI
    6. Final Fantasy VII
    7. Final Fantasy X
    8. Metal Gear Solid
    9. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (PC)
    10. The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind (PC)
    11. The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (PC)
    12. Final Fantasy XII
    13. Deus Ex: Human Revolution (PC)
    14. Fallout: New Vegas (PC)
    15. Portal
    16. Terraria
    17. Half-Life 2 (all episodes)
    18. Half-Life
    19. The Legend of Zelda: The Link to the Past
    20. Timesplitters II
    21. Unreal Tournament
    22. Heroes III of Might and Magic Complete
    23. Worms: Director's Cut (Amiga)
    24. Metal Gear Solid 4
    25. Crash Team Racing
    26. Megaman II
    27. Tenchu: Stealth Assassins
    28. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
    29. Avernum 2: Crystal Souls
    30. OpenLieroX

I didn't expect many games on my list to make the cut, but I made this list to reflect the games I enjoy the most. Truth to be told, I didn't care how the games I voted would affect the list, rather, add my opinion and see, what games people like.

I am somewhat disappointed to see Ocarina of Time to take top spot, as it is overrated game, but again, I can see why so many like it. I don't hate anyone for liking it so much, rather, I respect you for your opinion.

All in all, I think this was great list, and perhaps, if @Exist-2-Inspire is willing, we should do this again next year, hoping that more allies would add their lists to alter the outcome.

Love & Respect.

• @Axel said in The EZA Top 100 Videogames Countdown! (COMPLETE):

26 - Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory
    An outrageous oversight by y'all! No Splinter Cell? I thought I played it safe by picking Chaos Theory as it's easily recognized as the pinnacle of the series, and still you failed me! Shame!

Word. :dark_sunglasses:

• Also, my list if someone is somehow interested:
    Bolded are games that MADE IT to the top 100.

1. Prince of Persia: Warrior Within
    2. Age of empires 2
    3. Dark souls 3
    4. Brothers: a tale of two sons
    5. Oxenfree
    6. Star wars: The old republic
    7. Prince of Persia 2008
    8. D4: Dark Dreams Don't die
    9. The talos principle
    10. Jedi knight: Jedi academy
    11. Age of empires 3
    12. The settlers 3
    13. Dragon age inquisition
    14. Prince of persia: The two thrones
    15. Xenoblade chronicles
    16. Valley
    17. Metal gear solid 5: The phantom pain
    18. The Settlers: Heritage of King
    19. Anno 1404
    20. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
    21. Ori and the blind forest
    22. Silent hunter 3
    23. Return to castle Wolfenstein
    24. Final fantasy X
    25. Begginer's guide
    26. League of Legends
    27. Pokemon Platinum
    28. Superhot
    29. Life is strange
    30. Overwatch

Highest game on the final list: 29.Skyrim (20. on my list)
    My top game on the final list: 2.Age of empires II (57. on final list)

I'm honestly kinda disappointed that Skyrim was most popular game on the list that I voted for. That being said, I'm having a time of my life with special edition RIGHT NOW, mostly because I haven't "really" finish it when it first came out. Considering that, I would now put it higher on my list (probably around 9th), so it kinda balances out.
    Most of the games on the list are considered classics, which is understandable, and we could continue to debate which one is better (which we did and I thoroughly enjoyed it). That being said, it means that I didn't played a big majority of them (7/30 made it, I played 15/100) due to either me being too young or games are on platforms that I did/do not own. So yeah, I wish that games from my list would be higher and that more games would made it, especially since "my" game barely made to the top 30. They deserve higher in my opinion, but I guess I'm that Skyrim guy now ¯_(ツ)_/¯
    Overall, this list does great job on shedding light on EZA community. Sure, with more people, the list would probably be different, but I think in general it's accurate enough (samples and population and other statistical stuff). I would love to see the average of how many games from people's list made it and what were the highest ranking ones that made it.
    Thank you to all participants, and big love&respect to @Exist-2-Inspire for making (probably) the best thing on this forum so far.

• @Nillend Whoa, Prince of Persia '08?

• @naltmank The visuals alone are timeless. The dialogue is great, even if combat was kinda meh. And I even liked the story.

• @Nillend Oh I can dig it. I actually really liked that game when I played it. Gorgeous visuals, amazing character animations, and some solid writing. I didn't hate the combat as much as some others, but it definitely got repetitive after a while. My friend and I would play it every Friday after school during our Freshman year of high school, but we never finished it because the days got shorter and he observed shabbat. We never got around to finishing it once the days got longer again, but I think we made it pretty far.