The EZA Top 100 Videogames!

• @Sentinel-Beach Yep three votes total: 22 from you, 22 from benoit489 and 2 from Hero of Lime

• Oh so close!

@Inustar So long as it's pinned, it will never go away. I think I may pop back in this thread from time to time and re-read some of the wonderful conversations surrounding the reveals. Especially the fantastic musical discussion before the top 3 (the real ones ;-) to @Exist-2-Inspire ) were finally shown.

• I actually think this is the first one of these types of lists I've ever been remotely happy with.

• Global Moderator

Alright I'm after recovering some bit so finally about to give some opinions! Starting off at 11 as that's when I was gone.

Super Mario 64 is a masterpiece. No doubt about it. I never owned a N64 but I played this a bunch at my friends and I think on the DS too and I loved it. Not much else to say.

Chrono Trigger is another masterpiece. I played it on the 3DS this year and absolutely loved it. Easily up there as one of my favourite JRPGs and it was damn close to making my list but because it was so fresh and I only completed it once, I left it out.

Persona 4 - Oh yes, and here is my favourite JRPG. It's just such a beautiful game I think. Once you get into it and meet all the characters more, increase your social links, it's so much fun to actually see that character development and story. The music is incredible and it's so damn colourful. This game was worth having the Vita alone.

Dark Souls - I voted Bloodborne higher but DS is an absolutely incredible game that I'll always remember. For me, it has arguably the greatest level design in a 3D game. When you see that map, see how all the shortcuts link, it's just incredible. Honestly it's a toss up between this and BB at times for me.

The Witcher 3 - This just makes me realise how fantastic last year was. Witcher 3 set a new standard for RPGs. It's not just the amount of content the game has, it's that it's all fantastic content. The side quests and main quest, just incredible. I have some gripes with it like witcher vision and the minimap but those are minor issues in such a detailed and beautiful crafted game. I look forward to Cyberpunk.

Metal Gear Solid - For me MGS3 is easily the overall best MGS game however there is no denying the impact MGS had on me and the entire industry. It has some of the most creative idea's I've ever seen in a game, breaking the fourth wall and also having one of the best stories and all round performances for a videogame at that time. It brought everything to a cinematic level which is something I love in games now.

Super Mario Bros 3 - Oh heck yes.. the confirmation we all deserved, SMB3 is the ultimate 2D Mario game. I've completed this game countless times and I love everything about it. The levels, the music, the power ups, the world map! It's just glorious. There is no nonsense in this game, no filler, just pure perfection! I did play the SNES version of this.

Final Fantasy VII - Not much to say here. I played it when I was younger, don't remember beating it.. it's an FF game. The combat is just way too slow and repetitive for me to love them but I definitely like aspects of them.

Mass Effect 2 - Another game where I don't love it like others. I played ME2 & 3 back to back and honestly in terms of game I thought ME3 was much better. Either way I think they are both a bit janky. So another I liked but don't love.

Shadow of the Colossus - My number one game. My word do I love SOTC. It's everything I want in a game. It's absolutely beautiful from a visual and audible aspect. Whether it be the design of the Colossus or just the environments. The music is beautiful yet the lack of it is also so impactful. The story isn't being beaten over your head. Again it's impactful and sad and it's told mostly in visuals. And then we just have the sheer scale of the game. It makes you feel so small everywhere you go, as you scale a building or a colossus. You don't spend your time upgrading your weapon, going around with detective vision. It's just you and your horse finding one colossi after another and figuring out how to take it down. It's just absolutely incredible to me. I love that the EZA community has such a strong affection for what is a relatively niche game, especially in comparison to the majority of the top 10-20. Now.. please be excited for The Last Guardian!

The Last of Us - Easily my favourite Naughty Dog game which is saying something as I pretty much love all of them. When it comes to all forms of media, I generally prefer a more serious, grim tone and I think that's why I gravitate to this so much. It's a post apocalyptic story that I really got into. I love The Road and I feel like this is the closest thing we'll get to that in videogame format. The performances are absolutely incredible throughout and gut wrenching. On top of that I love the gameplay. Trying to save as much supplies as you can, every bullet. Every situation feels so intense. On top of that it has one of the best multiplayer experience I've had. Again it's super intense but they also have a neat way of showing how well you're doing by your progress being shown in the camp you're building and the challenges you need to complete to try and get that camp as big as possible in the 12 weeks. I love it and can't wait to see what they do with TLOU2.

Ocarina of Time - I got around to OoT a little late. It was the third 3D Zelda game that I completed. The other two being Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword which is also my favourite Zelda... yet that's right, I said it. Anyway, OoT is a fantastic game and it's incredible how they transitioned it from 2D to 3D so smoothly. I had a load of fun with it but obviously things get refined a bit more with each iteration and I just ended up enjoying the newer Zeldas that little bit more.

• @tokeeffe9 said in The EZA Top 100 Videogames Countdown! (COMPLETE):

Shadow of the Colossus - My number one game. My word do I love SOTC. It's everything I want in a game. It's absolutely beautiful from a visual and audible aspect. Whether it be the design of the Colossus or just the environments. The music is beautiful yet the lack of it is also so impactful. The story isn't being beaten over your head. Again it's impactful and sad and it's told mostly in visuals. And then we just have the sheer scale of the game. It makes you feel so small everywhere you go, as you scale a building or a colossus. You don't spend your time upgrading your weapon, going around with detective vision. It's just you and your horse finding one colossi after another and figuring out how to take it down. It's just absolutely incredible to me. I love that the EZA community has such a strong affection for what is a relatively niche game, especially in comparison to the majority of the top 10-20. Now.. please be excited for The Last Guardian!

Finally someone explains what makes SotC so good! ;) Definitely sounds interesting, but I guess I'll focus on The Last Guardian for now.

and Skyward Sword which is also my favourite Zelda... yet that's right, I said it.

YES! There's two of us!

• why not for our next list do top 10 zelda games or top 10 zelda dungeons

• Global Moderator

Thought I would post my list as well.. if anyone are interested :D

1. Final Fantasy IX
    2. World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade
    3. Halo 3
    4. Zone Of Enders 2: Second runner
    5. The Last of Us + Left behind DLC
    6. Pokémon Gen 2 (Gold/silver)

1. Ghost Recon: Future Soldier
    2. Dishonored
      9. Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
      10. Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of liberty
      11. Kingdom Hearts
    3. Darksiders
      13. Mass Effect 2
    4. Journey to Silius
    5. Crash Bandicoot: warped
    6. Suikoden 2
    7. Burnout 3: Takedown
      18. Assassin's Creed 2
      19. Bioshock Infinite
    8. Killzone 2
    9. Grand Turismo 5
    10. Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit (playstation 3).
    11. Ape Escape
      24. Crash Team Racing
    12. Battlefield: Bad Company 2
    13. Pharao
    14. Roller Coaster Tycoon 2
    15. Tekken 3
      29. Golden eye
    16. Mirror's Edge

• Global Moderator

I just wanted to point out a few games that I'm really surprised didn't make the list at all.

I'll start off with one genre which only appeared in the form of kart racers, yes that is racing. I understand that a lot of people don't really dig the racing genre. Games like Gran Turismo and Forza are just boring simulation games to most. But I absolutely cannot believe that a Burnout did not make the list. The games are the just pure fun and peaked with Burnout 3 in my opinion.

Fighting was another genre which was pretty absent. I imagine there were bigger absentees but for me I thought we'd see Tekken 3 appear. Easily the fighting game I put most of my time into

I'm also pretty surprised that Resident Evil 4 didn't make the list but at the same time I'm happy it didn't rank above other Resident Evil games. I'm going to put this down to the Huber effect.

The God of War series is another that I'm a bit surprised didn't make the list at all. I had thought there was a bigger fanbase for those games, in particular 1 & 2. Same applies for Devil May Cry really. I thought it was pretty unanimous that DMC3 is considered a masterpiece but not in these parts it seems

I was sad to see no SSX either. Tricky being an absolute blast and SSX3 being the best of the bunch. Those games just feel so good to play.

And lastly.. what the hell guys. Are you all a bunch of Bosman's? No Super Mario Galaxy 2 on the list at all! When I saw SMG show up, I was just waiting for 2 to appear and couldn't believe it.

• Global Moderator

And for interests sake, my list

1. Shadow of the Colossus
    2. Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
    3. Bloodborne
    4. The Last of Us
    5. Journey
    6. Super Mario Bros 3
    7. Metal Gear Solid
    8. Pokemon Silver
    9. Super Mario Galaxy 2
    10. Uncharted 4
    11. SSX 3
    12. Timesplitters 2
    13. Dark Souls
    14. Burnout 3 Takedown
    15. God of War 2
    16. Devil May Cry 3
    17. Resident Evil 2
    18. Persona 4 Golden
    19. Uncharted 2
    20. Ico
    21. Alien Isolation
    22. GTA San Andreas
    23. Bioshock Infinite
    24. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
    25. Tekken 3
    26. Doom (OG)
    27. Zelda Skyward Sword
    28. The Witcher 3
    29. Metroid Prime
    30. Battlefield 3

• @Lotias @tokeeffe9 Those are great lists.

Also to your point @tokeeffe9, I was stunned RE 4 didn't show. I even predicted it would when there was about 12 left to unveil. As for God of War, yeah, I'm bummed too, but oh well. At least some of my favorites made it and I'm more than content.

• Nice to see some love for Tekken 3. I had it as #8 on my list, propably the highest here. Really a classic, I feel.

• Global Moderator

@tokeeffe9 Yeah I was almost convinced that Burnout 3 would show up, quite high up in the list too!

Another surprise for me were to see that no Suikoden 2 showed up, I thought this was a big classic that tons of people loved.

@Brannox Thank you! looking back at my list now I would of shifted a couple around a little, but over all happy with my list! Also I think that if this would have been done by the end of the year I would of added Titanfall 2, that game is so much fun and a candidate for GOTY for me!

• @Lotias Yeah, list creation is a fickle thing as there always seems to be a great game that comes out when they get created. I mean, FF XV and the Last Guardian are about to come out. And I'm sure there's going to be a lot of love for Persona 5 and Horizon.

Such is the nature of games.

• Global Moderator

@Brannox Yeah! This almost had me thinking that perhaps The top 100 should be done every year like this! but do it over the month of December or something!

Would be fun to see how the lists changes, however it means a lot of work.

• Global Moderator

Ya, I still need to get around to Suikoden 2. I did start it but other things got in the way. I'll get back to it.

• So, I'm super late to this party and still haven't commented of the top 20, but I'm just going to comment on them anyway! Thanks to anyone still reading this, and thank you once more to @Exist-2-Inspire for putting this together.

20. Super Mario Galaxy (Personal Ranking: 4 ) - Super Mario Galaxy is - to me - the pinnacle of 3D Mario games. There's not too terribly much I can say about it. The controls are incredibly tight, it's as pretty a game the Wii has, and it breathed life into Mario in a way that hadn't been done for me since 64 (Don't get me wrong; I absolutely love Sunshine)! I know a lot of people consider SMG2 to be superior to SMG, so I'm going to speak to that now. SMG2 is a near perfect game. It took SMG gameplay and somehow made it feel even better. The new power-ups were cool but even though it added variety it didn't do much for depth. I don't hold that against SMG2; I just don't think it improved the game all that much. What I really loved about SMG over the squeal was the hub world. It was a cozy place to hang out full of secrets and context and it really brought meaning to that world for me. It may seem like a small thing, but that's really what elevated SMG over SMG2 for me. I love both SMG and SMG2 - I've 100%'d both of them - but the original will always hold the dearest place in my heart.

19. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End - I haven't a chance to play Uncharted but - after hearing all of the rave reviews for it - I could not be more excited for it. I'm planning to play it over christmas, middle of the day, bright room, snow outside, and I'm going to love it. It's just a shame that this list isn't taking place a few month later so that I could add Uncharted 4!

18. Red Dead Redemption (Personal Ranking: 6 ) - Red Dead Redemption sold me on its world and characters in a way that very few games have. The characters are so well written and morality is handled more maturely than almost any other game I can think of. And that ending! I got my revenge and just felt empty afterward. Brilliant! RDR2, I don't know how you're going to top this game, but I can't wait to check it out!

17. Bloodborne - I'm honestly surprised to see Bloodborne outside of the top 10. Almost compromises the legitimacy of this as an EZA fan-list. I haven't had the opportunity to play Bloodborne yet, but I'm very excited to repeatedly run head-first into a wall with it.

16. Super Mario World (Personal Ranking: 29 ) - As I've said several times, I didn't have an SNES growing up so I had only played small amounts of SMW as a kid. I played through it in full for the first time this year and had a lot of fun. However there are some things in SMW that I think could be better. Super Mario World has my favourite mechanics of any 2D Mario (while I think the air twirl, wall jump, ground-pound, and triple-jump are great mechanics in a 3D Mario game, I think they added too much complexity to the movement in the New Super Mario Bros. games; less is often more), but SMW doesn't really have levels that take full advantage of the excellent move-set. Furthermore I think the game starts off too complex throwing several new mechanics at you in the first level and adds additional complexity at a slow rate. I simply don't like some of the enemies in SMW and the power ups can't compete with those in SMB3 - although I probably would rank the cape slightly above Racoon Mario. Either way, this game is incredible and deserves its place on the list.

15. Final Fantasy IX - Probably not surprising at this point that I know nothing about FFIX. Kinda surprised to see IX over VI, but what do I know?

14. Metal Gear Solid 3 (Personal Ranking: 1 ) - I played MGS3 for the first time last year and wow, I do not have enough words for this game! The character of Snake Eater is what makes it rise above the other Metal Gear Solids for me. To be clear, I'm not saying the other entries in the series are lacking in character (Guns of the Patriots and the Phantom Pain could probably be debated), but Snake Eater is just oozing with good vibes! It's a love letter to old spy movies in the best way and it absolutely enraptured me. The theme song is so good and utilised brilliantly. The set-piece moments in that game are unforgettable: the End, the Boss, the ladder climb for crying out loud! What other game is bold enough to put in something so stupidly amazing as the ladder climb? I'll admit that a lot of the positions on my list are pretty abstractly assigned (we're debating the slightest edges between games that are all 10s here), but there was never any doubt that Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater is my favourite game of all time.

13. Pokémon Gold/Silver/Crystal (Personal Ranking: 8 ) - I already gave quite the impassioned speech for Pokémon here when the first-gen games came up on this list. Build on that first game by fine-tuning the balance and adding several solid new mechanics and you already have an amazing game. Then add in basically the entirety of the first-gen games as essentially a second quest and you get gen-two Pokémon! Pokémon Gold ruled my life for a couple years and to this day there are few cooler moments in gaming than finding and battling Red - canonically the player character from the first-gen games - at the top of Mt. Silver. I know it's only Pokémon, but I still get chills every time I think about that moment. Thank you Satoru Iwata for making this game possible.

12. Super Mario 64 (Personal Ranking: 7 ) - Super Mario 64 was my - like many people's - first 3D game and even today it still does 3D platforming better than almost anything else. Super Mario 64 feels good. That's really all there is to it. It felt good when it came out and it will continue to feel good forever because it is built entirely around that singular ideal. I play SM64 ever year around the holidays and I can't wait for this year's play-through.

11. Chrono Trigger - I have a DS copy sitting on my desk right now. I swear I'll play it soon. Chrono Trigger lovers forgive me, but I am working on righting this wrong!

• @DeweyDecibel

mgs3 is a master piece i played the games in order just months before 4 came out i bought that box set. the first one was amazing the second was a chore to get through . i didnt know to take a break or not after i didnt enjoy 2 that much but i didnt and im glad this game from start was amazing and then that ending that ending hit me like a truck and whenever i replay it and hear eva say "she was a true patriot" i cry along with big boss.

• 1000th post just for the hell of it.

EDIT: Well, this is now pointless what with the ending discussion moved elsewhere. Bummer :smirk:

• Global Moderator

Let's all rejoice that we're getting the MGS3 remake we all deserve... thanks Konami ;(

• @tokeeffe9 said in The EZA Top 100 Videogames Countdown! (COMPLETE):

Let's all rejoice that we're getting the MGS3 remake we all deserve... thanks Konami

pachinko