The EZA Top 100 Videogames!

• Metal Gear Solid 4
    I'm not a huge Metal Gear fan, but I did appreciate how epically this tied everything up and ended the whole thing, it was very memorable. I honestly don't think they should have made any more after this, especially V. I've only beaten this entry once though.

Metal Gear Solid 2
    I've beaten this game three times, but I much prefer 1 & 3 personally. Something irritates me about this entry and it's not Raiden. I think it's the whole Big Shell and the way it ferrets you from strut to strut to strut....going back and forth, it's just really annoying.

Twilight Princess
    A solid and very enjoyable Zelda game. I don't have much to say about it though. I only beat it the once when it came out on the Wii, but I have bought the Remaster. I'm more of a 2D Zelda fan myself.

Persona 3
    Very enjoyable game. I've beaten it once on PS2 and then on the PSP. Persona 2 is where it's at for me though, Eternal Punishment and Innocent do it for me more than both 3 and 4. I must say though that I slightly favour 3 to 4. After thinking about it for a while, I'm not too surprised to see it as low as it is. Persona 4 is the one that will be on a lot of peoples lists and I expect that to be rather high.

Hotline Miami
    Another Indie game I've never played.

• @Lotias I KNEW saying that would bring about IX supporters :laughing:

Anyway, for the new entries:

I played a little of Twilight Princess, and while I stopped at the first dungeon, I enjoyed the little I did get to try. Being my cousin's game and Wii, I have a very small amount of time with it and it was alright. The Zelda series never really spoke to me, though I DID play the hell out of WindWaker. Never beat it though...

Persona 3: I'm surprised this is so low. I know Persona 4 is coming somewhere down the line, but allow me to say something that will bring about some ill will my way: I don't get it. I just don't. The look doesn't appeal to me, the gameplay is not my thing, and from the little I've heard of some story arcs, I don't see what's so revolutionary about it. That said, I KNOW the fervor behind it here in the community and especially from one Dragon of Iowa... Love and Respect to those super into Shin Megami Tensei. I'm just not one of 'em. I'm going to back into quiet time now...

• Pfft..VII and IX? VIII is where it's at.

• @Brannox Persona and SMT are really two different things by now. I like SMT and I wish I could play more of them, but at least to me as a P3 & P4 fanboy it is not even in the same ballpark.

As to why they are special, their story arcs have little if anything to do with it, to me is all about the characters and the world that is built with them, and I can say that I would not be as much as I'm into gaming if it weren't for them.

• 85. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
    Great Zelda game, just not my favorite.

84. Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3
    Great JRPG, 1st Persona game released in europe and I've ever played, now I own the whole series.

83. Hotline Miami
    I got that from a Humble Bundle, played it for a few minutes, wasn't impressed.

• Global Moderator

@Sheria Haha! I tried so hard to like VIII, but I just couldnt! loved VI, VII and IX, but VIII never clicked with me!

• @Sheria Yep, right next to XIII X-D

But seriously, super cool to see you support VIII. Can't stand it personally, but that's why I love FF: Something for everyone.

• @Brannox said in The EZA Top 100 Videogames Countdown!:

But seriously, super cool to see you support VIII. Can't stand it personally, but that's why I love FF: Something for everyone.

Agreed :) Hard to explain that one game you just love so much. It's a rare and wonderful thing when everything just clicks with you. I do love VII and IX almost as much though ^^

• The only non MMO FF I truly dislike is FFXII, and I'm sure it will be high on this list.

• @Musou-Tensei Coincidentally, I love XII. Further strengthens my point. This is great!!

• @BlazingBahamut said in The EZA Top 100 Videogames Countdown!:

89 - Star Fox 64: I'm planning on playing the remake on 3DS, I'm expecting a very fun game, but not something that will leave a lasting impression on me, but I see why it could be on this list for some of you.

I'm not sure if you'll be able to get the proper experience on 3DS. The music's been reorchestrated, the voice acting's been redone, and the art style is busier. I personally find all of these to be negatives. Judge for yourself:

Corneria gameplay (N64)
    Corneria gameplay (3DS)

Fortuna/Fichina gameplay (N64)
    Fortuna/Fichina gameplay (3DS)

Boss B music (N64)
    Boss B music (3DS)

Star Wolf music (N64)
    Star Wolf music (3DS)

Similar situation with Majora's Mask on 3DS. The art style was completely redone to look less subtle and more contrasty, likely for easier viewing on a small screen. And there have been a lot of complaints about the originally super-smooth Zora swimming controls being botched too.

I'm not a big fan of porting 3D console games to handhelds in any case, so evaluate this advice accordingly.

• First off, thanks so much to @Exist-2-Inspire for putting this whole thing together. It has been a lot of fun already and I anxiously await each addition to the list.

I'm going to talk briefly about each of the games as their announced. If you want to discuss anything I've said feel free to reply in thread or DM me. I am already super behind on the list so I apologise for the massive block of text that follows.

100. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare - I honestly can't think of a more fitting No. 100 for this list. Modern Warfare may not be Doom, Half Life, or Bioshock, but it's still impossible to ignore the cultural impact and influence on the FPS genre that CoD4 has enjoyed since its release. I have never been a huge fan of FPSs, but Modern Warfare is definitely a game that I've played my fair share of with friends and I'm happy to see it on this list.

99. Fallout: New Vegas - This one is definitely a divisive game. I have friends that are adamantly on either side of the Fallout 3 vs New Vegas debate. I'm kind of surprised New Vegas made it onto this list, but I love that we have a community member (@Browarr ) who is so passionate about this game. Now the only thing that remains to be seen is whether or not Fallout 3 (or - heaven forbid - Fallout 4) will end up even higher on the list.

98. Transistor - I love seeing indie games on this list. I've heard nothing but good things about Transistor, and as such it's a game I've bought but still haven't gotten around to playing. Seeing it here definitely pushes up near the top of my docket.

97. Secret of Mana - This is something I'm going to say a lot of times throughout this list, but I feel guilty that I haven't played this game. There is an alternative universe where I got into jRPGs at a young age and my top 30 looks completely different. In that universe Secret of Mana would certainly be a game I'd played. Perhaps there is still time.

96. The Witness (Personal Ranking: 3 ) - This is a game that I worked pretty hard to get onto this list, and because of that I'll try not to blab too much about it. I truly believe this is one of the best modern examples of game design. Every time I thought I knew what the Witness was going to throw at me next it managed to subverted my expectations. The game may seem simple, but there is so much depth and attention to detail, and the Witness continued to blow my mind over 20 hours in. This is my favourite puzzle game of all time - yes, over Portal 2, the Talos Principle, and many others - and I'm so happy it made this list. Seriously, please play this game.

95. Ico - Really cool, beautiful game. I never did finish it, but I'm happy to see it make it to this list despite often being cast in the Shadow of the Colossus.

94. Crash Team Racing - I was a Nintendo kid growing up, so I've never played CTR, but from everything I've seen, it looks like an incredibly jolly game and deserves to be right next to Mario Kart 64.

93. Papers, Please - I didn't even think about this game when making my list. If I had I still don't think it would have made it. Regardless, I'm incredibly happy to see mow many people this game has touched. Papers, Please is one of those games that put indies on the map, and is surprisingly smart, engaging, and thought provoking. You can usually find it for cheap and it doesn't take too long to play through to a couple endings, so I recommend it to anyone who hasn't tried it.

92. Kingdom Hearts II - A series I shamefully have not touched. KH is a really unique series these days. An convoluted story, nonsensical naming scheme, and magical partnership between Square and Disney make for games that have no contemporary. I'm definitely curious whether we'll be seeing Kingdom Hearts 1 or perhaps even Chain of Memories later on in this list.

91. Life is Strange - This is the odd game on this list where I hold a bit of a divisive opinion. I do not like Life is Strange. I could not get invested in this game despite really wanting to. I have a lot more to say but will not say it here - just let me know if you want to discuss it anymore.

90. Dragon Quest VIII - Another series I shamefully haven't played. Regardless, Dragon Quest VIII is one of the prettiest games I've ever seen. I will definitely be picking this up when it is released for 3DS and I am so excited to finally be jumping into this series!

89. Star Fox 64 - I have lots of good memories of this game, but I've never considered it one of my favourites of all time. I'm really happy to see Starfox here because I'd sort of forgotten about it. I hope we get to see Starfox rise again soon.

88. Xenoblade Chronicles - This game flew totally under my radar. I have so many classic RPGs to catch up on so I don't see myself playing this game in the near future, but it's cool to know that this game has left an impact for some.

87. Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots - I got this game for free with my PS3. It was the first Metal Gear game I played; I played for two hours filled with confusion and wonder and put it for years because I just didn't get it. A year ago I decided to finally play the Metal Gear Solid series and I fell in love. Going back to MGS4 was thrilling. It was almost as perfect an ending to the Solid Snake Saga as I could imagine. There were moments that took my breath away, and I know @tokeeffe9 argues that the bosses were awful and that was a failing of the game, but I would argue that the empty shells of bosses were an extremely conscious decision that reflected the cold, war-torn world of MGS4. This game didn't make my list due to it being so unapproachable for new players, but MGS4 holds a special place in my heart and was the perfect ending to the journey.

86. Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty (Personal Ranking: 24 ) - Like I said above, I first played this game only a year ago. I wish I got to grow up with this game because I simply do not have the time to find all there is to find, as this game deserves of its players. The protagonist swap, the commentary on video games, and the way it plays off of the first game make MGS2 legendary.

85. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess - The second game I played after getting my Wii (after Wii sports of course). At the time it felt like a grown-up Ocarina of Time and I absolutely adored it. Twilight Princess hasn't exactly aged well but it was a game at the right place at the right time for me and I think this is a good rank for it to be at.

84. Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 - Add another series to the list of acclaimed jRPG series I haven't played. The setting of SMT games is definitely intriguing and the style of Persona is top-shelf. I'm glad P3 made the list, am curious to see just how much higher P4 gets, and am excited to hop into P5 come February!

83. Hotline Miami - I was a little surprise seeing this game in the top 100, but the more I think about it the more I get it. Hotline Miami's soundtrack alone basically grants it a place among the greatest games of all time. Combine that with tight controls, white-knuckle action, and a rad art style and I totally understand how Hotline Miami earned its place.

Again, sorry for the massive post!

• Global Moderator

@DeweyDecibel That's a fair comment on the bosses in MGS4 and from a narrative standpoint I'd be okay with that. But when I look at gameplay, it's not good enough.

The majority of the boss fights will have standard soldiers in the fight too and for me that's just a sign that they weren't creative enough. Having additional nameless people in your centrepiece fights just takes away from the boss.

I think of other fights from the series and if you added soldiers to those fights, it would really take away from that duel. Even in MGS3, Ocelot gives out when the soldiers interfere!

• Oh man, I totally forgot Hotline Miami. I guess that tells something, too, but still. That game is phenomenal. So good. And the soundtrack really is from another world, unbelievable emotions and sensations going through the levels with those tracks blasting. So many instant favourites. The "in the zone" feeling is real! Really glad to see it here on the list.

(There's only 3 votes in the info although there's 5 listed.)

• @tokeeffe9 That's a solid argument. I had kind of forgotten about the generic enemies in MGS4 boss fights. You're correct, they totally do hurt the fights and feel rather thoughtless (though Screaming Mantis' use may be justifiable).

Even so, I don't remember MGS4 for its boss fights. I remember it for the story and for respecting the games - and the players of the games - it followed. (Also it is still one of the best looking games ever)

This is why MGS4 didn't make my top 30. A top 30 game for me had to be a game I would recommend to anyone, and I honestly don't think MGS4 is worth playing unless you've played 1-3. But even so - with all its fault - I absolutely love it!

• Global Moderator

The suspense is killing me! I want to know the rest of the list noooooow! xD

• @Lotias I've felt that way for the last 10 days. ;-)

• Global Moderator

@Brannox Haha yeah! I suppose this gives us more satisfaction and more time to take it in more!

alt text

I want to know it all now as well! :D I guess this drags out the pleasure even further!

• This post is deleted!

• The Wind Waker fans are going to madden me even further with this list, aren't they?

Well, whatever. At least Twilight Princess is on it (looking at you IGN, Time magazine). It's not like environmental interaction has been done better and as meaningfully anywhere else (ex: Minecraft not very "meaningful" because it's all just random). It's the best Zelda soundtrack, the best Zelda story, the best Zelda combat, and the best Zelda dungeons by a damn sight!

I doubt even Breath of the Wild will surpass it in areas such as the dungeons, story, and perhaps the soundtrack.