The Odd Child

• We all know that game, that one entry in the series that doesn't quite fit in with the rest. What are some odd ball games that you love/hate/feel whatever about.

Here's an oddball that I love.

SPM has got to be one of my favorite games. There's just something so Jolly and Delightful about it, and I love the concept of a 2D/3D platformer with a leveling system. It combines my 2 favorite genres in a really fun way.

• Tomb Raider: The Angel of Darkness
    I picked it up on PS2 and I have to admit, I never came across many bugs, If any actually. While true that it didn't live up to the hype and ambition, I still really enjoyed this entry into the series, it's rather unique in a number of aspects too.

Silent Hill: The Room
    I absolutely love this game. It's a little bit different, but is still very Silent Hill. Pulled off a bit of what made P.T so enjoyable too, only a decade earlier. Its omission from the HD collection is a joke, especially their reasons for it. Even they seem to think it's the black sheep.

• DmC Devil May Cry.
    Mechanically superior to DMC1 and 2, great level design, superb boss battles, and better characterization than the walking anime tropes in the rest of the series.

• Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles - if you forget the shitty follow ups, that original game is so underrated. Just superb vibes all around. Plus the music is awesome.

• Riding the Final Fantasy wagon, Final Fantasy Tactics! Such a great spin-off yet it hasn't seen any love in such a long time. My personal favorite from the series was the original and although mechanically the games released on the Gameboy Advance were okay, the storyline of being sucked into a storybook really killed my interest in that game.

• alt text

While it's nowhere near Super Paper Mario-level, I had a really good time with Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles: Crystal Bearers. As well as taking the crown for the worst title in a series synonymous with bad titles, Crystal Bearers is also a minigame JRPG. The protagonist has telekinesis which you use via the motion controls. The story and characters are literally forgettable, with knockoff Ganondorf wielding a blade from Monster Hunter functioning as the antagonist.

Still, the minigames, telekinesis, and exploration make this game worthwhile. There are achievements for messing around with telekinesis and discovering secrets in the different areas. The world resembles Final Fantasy X crossed with Xenoblade Chronicles, minus a lot of the jaggies and textures that needed more work.

Fun fact: this game was released on December 26th of 2009. What a time.

• @El-Shmiablo If by "better characterization", you mean "walking memes" then you'd be right.

• "...dark soul with LIIIIIIIGGGHHHTTT!!!"

• "F**k you!" - Donte
    "I got a bigger dick" - Vorgil

• @Art That's actually a fair representation of Fox News.

• Is Wind Waker still considered the ugly stepchild of the Zelda franchise? Or has everyone grown up a bit and realised it is actually one of the best games in the whole franchise.

• @thenerdtheword Nah, I think most people recognize it as an amazing game (my personal favorite!). I also don't think it would count as an "Odd Child," since outside of the artstyle it still very much falls in line with other zelda games. If anything, I'd say Zelda II is the odd child of that series.

@Haru17 I wanted to play that game because it was a console follow up to Crystal Chronicles! It was just delayed so many times that I eventually lost interest in it.

• @thenerdtheword People agree that Wind Waker has aged like a fine wine.

Unlike Twilight Princess with its muddy textures and ugly character designs which aged like milk.

Even Nintendo realized this. Why else do you think they've been using cel-shading on the last couple Zelda games? Their current hardware isn't capable of shitting out something "realistic" so they're sticking to what works.

• Don't even start with bringing up The Wind Waker in this thread. That game is so in vogue with the open world bubble going on currently that it's sickening. And don't even get me started on the quasi-hipster notion that everything with a cartoonish of "stylized" art style is superior to photorealism.

I'm really starting to hate The Wind Waker, and it's not because of the game.

• I didn't say it was superior. I'm just saying its aged better.

I'm sure realistic games such as The Witcher 3, Horizon Zero Dawn and Final Fantasy XV will all still look great in ten years time.

• Mechanics don't age. Older open worlds, however, compare very poorly to their modern contemporaries.

• @Haru17 I haven't heard much recent discussion about it, but I'm also pretty out of the loop. I just love the vibes of that game, more so than any other Zelda. Plus the character animations (especially during combat) are sublime.

• Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance. That game could have easily been a hot pile of garbage. I honestly expected it to be. It wasn't until years later that I was encouraged to play it. Yes, the mechanics were solid and the little slashing gimmick was pretty cool, but I'm very much a narrative-driven player. I care about deep and well-rounded characters, fully fleshed-out worlds, and extensive thought-provoking lore. I believed that this game could not possibly compare to the likes of MGS1 or MGS3.

In short, it didn't. But it's approach to its story and set pieces was brilliant. It tackled everything with this misguided sense of seriousness and confidence while being drenched under mountains of camp like a bad '80s action flick. It's one of those "it's so ridiculous, it's amazing" kind of experiences.

Honestly, I believe PlatinumGames saved this title. If it was under the helm of anyone else, it would've been a failure. Luckily, Konami picked the right team for the job and breathed this little imperfect gem to life.

But that still doesn't mean I'm going anywhere near Metal Gear Survive. That ship has long past sailed.

• @naltmank Technically FFT has had a ton of love. Several games set in Ivalice, including a main line game. (FF12)

@Art Donte actually had a character arc, as opposed to just being CUH-RAZY from start to finish like every other DMC, unless we are talking about DMC2 in which case he was a silent, brooding edgelord.

• @Haru17 said in The Odd Child:

Mechanics don't age. Older open worlds, however, compare very poorly to their modern contemporaries.

It would be very easy to say, look at the open worlds for games like Watchdogs and Mafia 3 and then compare them to Wind Waker with WW coming out on top by a large margin. I much prefer a bright colourful game world with character rather than a dreary husk that is there to hit a checkbox.

Anyway, after slightly derailing the thread to get things back on topic....

Metal Gear Acid and Metal Gear Acid 2 are both brilliant spin-offs from the main series that do a good job of translating the MGS gameplay into a weird tactical RPG/Card Game hybrid.

2 even had the Solid Eye to play the game in 3D by holding the PSP close to your face and awkwardly playing it like a chump. TAKE THAT PSVR!
    alt text

I poured so many hours into both games!

Looks like your connection to Easy Allies Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.