All Rainbow Six Siege wants to do is take my money!

• After hearing all the talk around rainbow six and how underrated it is and has amazing multiplayer i decided to pick it up not long ago since the price has dropped. I can definitely say that it was well worth the lower price to play a mostly multiplayer only game. I really cant imagine someone spending full price on this game.

Since i've started playing, the only thing that has ever frustrated me is that micro transactions and DLC prices. At first its not hard to unlock some of the original operators but over time the cost of in game currency gets higher with every purchase. Then there is the special operators! will I ever get one? I'm sure at the rate i'm playing ill have one in a year lol. Its ridiocoulas! If you win a match you get about 250-290 of in game currency and if you lose its about half that. It costs 25,000 points to get one of 6 new operators. Thats a lot of matches i need to play without purchasing anything else. The store has a crazy amount of skins and addons that in my opinion are over priced. I enjoy the game but i cant help feel that this unlocking currency especially in this game is a little much. Its so ridiculous in my opinion i refuse to spend money on it all together. Ill trade it in before i ever give them a dollar.

I know some people will defend this practice, but i find it horrid. I can live with skins being purchasable for a small amount of money as long as i have access to the game. I dont like it, but i can live with it, such as Overwatch. Rainbow Six just asks for way to much of me which in a slight way ruins the experience for me. What do you guys think?

• That sounds pretty ridiculous, honestly. If those figures are correct, you would need to win about 83 matches to unlock a new character. Supposing matches are ten minutes and you win every single match, you're still looking at close to 14 hours of playtime to unlock a new operator which is worse than any free to play game I can think of, and this game isn't free to play. Really baffling how they can charge full price for a game and still gouge their players like that.

Overwatch gets brought up a lot in the conversation and while it's still a micro-transaction scheme, it's not that killer. You still have all characters so everything is cosmetic - which isn't a problem for most people, besides Jim Sterling and ilk. Even still, each crate comes after about an hour of playtime with four different items (although the duplicates are infuriating).

Shame to hear that about Rainbow Six though. I admired it for trying something fairly different but having not picked it up yet, this doesn't really make me want to go out and get it.

• Your mistake was buying the cheap version.
    Full version operater unlocks are 500 for first in a particular group, then 1000, 1500, and 2000 for the final one.

I bought the season pass so I get the new operators unlocked automatically. All my rainbux go to gun add-ons and masks.

Tl;dr buy the full game or put in the work, homie.

• @El-Shmiablo I retract nearly everything I just said then!

• @El-Shmiablo @SabotageTheTruth

Lol! I have the full version, your just trying to be disagreeable without the whole picture. In my post I mentioned I was talking about the special operators. I apologize, I wasn't entirely clear about the main operators because that wasn't my point. But what @El-Shmiablo said about the cost is true for the main operators, which are 4 operator in GIGN, SAS, Spetsnaz and FBI. They work exactly the way mentioned above. However the Seals, JTF2 and BOPE each have 2 operators that cost 25,000 for first unlock.

Just unlocking the original operators can take time once you've unlocked a majority of them which in my opinion is still frustrating. The additional operators from Seals, JTF2 and BOPE are pretty much impossible for me to do without paying for them. Thats not even including the points needed for some of the skins are way higher than the original operators. But whatever skins are cosmetic. As much as i dont care for Overwatches system of loot boxes, it makes it far more attractive compared to this. At least i can experience all of Overwatch. Before i get called out again, yes you can buy the season pass which makes everything cheaper and attainable faster. There's also boosters you can pay for to get 100 percent more points for a day, three days or a week. They cost money too.

@SabotageTheTruth you should definitely still buy the game if your interested. It worth playing. Just dont pay full price. I think it has had a price drop anyways. I bought the "FULL" version for a reasonable price. I play at least 1 to 2 hours most nights and have a blast. Just annoys me when i see how little points i have collected, cause your right, I will need to win 80 some games to unlock that sweet JTF2 or BOPE character.

• Oh dude pfft. Fuck the other OPs. Only ones even worth buying are Valkyrie and Blackbeard anyway, and after last past Blackbeard is even questionable.

Just work on unlocking the main ops. I have a buddy who has unlocked all of them (including special ops) through normal play. Mind you he has platted the game (this involves killing 1500 Ts in T-Hunt) and is generally the top player in every match we play, but it IS achievable.
    If you play on PS4 hit me up. PSN is ElShmiablo. I'm absolutr dogshit at the game, but will totes play with you.

• @El-Shmiablo Really? they look sweet though :( lol. Its also a mental thing for me. When i play Witcher i feel the need to go to every place on the map. It killed the game for me. Ive seen ppl kick ass with the JTF2 operator and the BOPE Crossbow thing looks fun. Anyways, yeah i can add ya. I''ll be on overwatch (PC) tonight, so probably tomorrow. Im okay at the game. I have really good games only sometimes.

• @CGamor7 Frost is a very situational character. I personally never pick her, because her special is so big you basically have to be not looking where you are going to get snared.

I main Fuze an A and Rook on D. I find Fuze is far and away one of the best OPs on the game, especially with his AK, which is one of the best guns in the game.

Seriously. Don't worry about the new fucks. OG Ops are more than enough. Complete your dailies and you'll be there in no time.

• Gonna get this out of the way, but Rainbow Six Siege is one of the greatest shooters of the decade. If you like communication-heavy, tactical, squad-based shooters, this game is a must-purchase.

Now, moving on, it does not take long to unlock all of the original Operators. It takes AT MOST the time it takes to rank up through one cycle in a CoD game to unlock every single base Operator. The prices seem daunting at first, but once you start playing you'll see how quick it goes. In fact, some complaints from launch were actually that it took too quickly to unlock everything. A lot of people like the grind present in CoD and BF for....some reason I can't quite get, and R6:S isn't grind-heavy.

Regarding microtransactions, I couldn't disagree more - R6:S does DLC better than the vast majority of multiplayer games. The devs supply all of the content for free to avoid splitting up the playerbase. No map packs, no purchase-only Operators, nothing. The only money-required purchases are cosmetic. You are correct in saying that the DLC Operators are absurdly expensive, but that's the trade-off for them being free. The game doesn't have mandatory DLC like most other shooters. If you buy the Season Pass (which btw is almost half the price of the CoD or BF season passes), you get access instantly. For people who either can't or don't want to spend the money, you can just play a lot. I've partied up with plenty of people who just save up the in-game currency and buy the Ops. Those people are hardcore R6 players, and they are rewarded for their dedication by saving a few bucks. It seems like a fair trade-off to me - give away maps for free, and reward dedicated players while still allowing the devs to keep this game alive. Ubisoft has done a TREMENDOUS job supporting this game given how small the playerbase is, and they should be commended for that.

• @Galaxy40k pretty much this.
    If Ubi keep supporting R6 like this I can see Seige becoming the new Counter Strike.

• @Galaxy40k Yes its a great multiplayer game, they did a good job.

Sorry but i still dont agree about the DLC. I may be possibly biased. I dont care for DLC in this fashion. Expansion pack, great! but not little tiny addons everywhere. However, that's just me and the idea of what an expansion is a whole other conversation as well. But saying it doesn't take long in R6 is relative. Now maybe in a way you could be right. Some ppl cruise through games like its nothing. ppl have already prestige in call of duty a day or two after release. A 6 hour play session is nothing to some ppl. is it grind heavy like other games? maybe not but i have to assume that for those people they are playing a game at an outrageous rate which i cant keep up with. A games design has to keep a player invested even if its just an hour or two a night or every second night. Me? im not that invested because it takes to dam long to unlock anything cool. Which will probably eventually lead to me stop playing the game all together. Ive had the game a for awhile now, and i still don't have all the operators. Maybe i need to just "Git Gud" :lifter_tone3:

Im honestly sure im not the only one that isnt a fan of it, which in all honesty has probably kept some people away from this awesome game. BTW i never prestiged Black ops 3 and i played that game for a long time. again... i dont get to play many hours at once. I think time it takes is all relative.

• If you dedicate yourself to the game, you should have just enough renown to get both new operators as they come out. But starting it fresh when most of the new operators have already come out? Yeah, it'll take a while to earn them. This late in the game's life, you're better off getting the season pass since you haven't been playing it from the beginning and saving up the renown you'd need. That or farm terrorist hunts.

To be honest, it's a pretty fair system. You CAN earn everything important for free just by playing the game. Anything that costs money is purely cosmetic. It'd be your own fault if you wasted renown on skins instead of saving up for the operators. It's not a perfect system but these are NEW characters that the developers worked on AFTER the game launched and yet you can STILL earn them for free AND all the new maps are free for everyone.

• @Light Yeah you make a good point. Maybe from the start it would have felt less daunting. We are now three seasons in. I agree about the skins, they're just skins. I haven't bought any yet. would be nice, but i would rather get the operators. I actually still think its not a good system. I think they could do something much better. I wasn't a big fan of Overwatch and the loot boxes because it felt like i could never attain skins and such that i see other ppl running around it and that it takes forever with the random loot. However, Overwatches system really isn't a big annoyance for the simple fact that it really doesn't matter at the end of the day. I can play all the levels and have all the characters without worrying about dlc. I am actually more inclined to give them money for loot boxes if i've been playing for so long because they're not trying to nickel and dime me for every new shiny thing they have plus operators. So i can live with that. With rainbow six i constantly play against the characters that are very difficult to attain. I feel like that in itself is bad design. It pressures people into paying. With the booster packs that even more pressure on players. DLC items should be complete vanity for the people who want to put some extra cash into it.

This wasn't a free to play game, this was a full price game to by the way. I would really like multiplayer focused games that lack a normal campaign to really start thinking about lowering cost. BOSS KEY has said they will charge for their game now, but it wont be full price. I honestly think they will have a better model than R6. Im also afraid for the future, when such models are successful, they push them even harder. Ppl complain, but then eventually ppl accept them and so on. My biggest issue i guess is that ive never accepted these practices.

oh as for the new character models... im not entirely sure a model is worth more than a few dollars in my opinion. a full game such as the Witcher has more thought, complexity, models, environment put into it. Rainbow doesn't offer the complexity as tons of other games do. Character models are simple copy and pastes with alterations. They will never model a character from scratch. I just think at the end of the day a better balance needs to be found. I understand they need to make more money from higher production costs, but the game industry makes more money than other entertainment industries and they yet cant take proper care of their employees.

@Light @Galaxy40k @El-Shmiablo
    I think everyone here has made valid points about the game. But for me its an issue and always will be. I would rather see games follow other more positive practices. But to each their own and thanks for the conversation. it always good to here other peoples opinons. Now i want to go play :)

• @CGamor7 No problem! One thing to note is that you CAN buy each new operator individually for about 5 dollars if you don't want to get the entire season pass. It's not as efficient as the season pass but if you KNOW you want a certain operator above the others, it might be a good choice.

• @Light Is that Canadian? I could be wrong but i thought it was $10 here, ill have to double check. The CAD $ is another reason why im probably being so upset about gaming these days lol. Everything is just way to much money now. I miss our dollar being on par with the US.

• @CGamor7 I'm not sure because it's in R6 credits instead of real money because... reasons. THAT'S something I'm not happy with. That kind of system is awful. You'll always have some points left over or juuuuust not enough to get what you want.

• @CGamor7 actually, taking conversion into account, Canadians pay LESS for games than Americans.

• R6:S is all about moment-to-moment gameplay. If you need an unlock drip like in modern CoD of BF games where you need to constantly be unlocking new guns, new attachments, etc, then this game is 100% not for you. You need to be the kind of person that will play a multiplayer game purely for the gameplay.

• @El-Shmiablo Can you elaborate? Because when the dollar changed I went from paying 59.99 like Americans to paying 79.99 for games now. When the prices of everything went up in Canada, none of our wages went up. Things just cost more now. For example I bought my PS4 for 399 when our dollar was equal back at the PS4 release. Just before the slim was released it costed someone more money in 2016 to buy a PS4 then i did in 2013. It costs someone now 379.99 for a brand new slim. So unless im missing something (which i could very well be) im not sure how Canadians pay less. if your talking about the straight conversation from 59.99 to 78.83 at where the dollar is right now, im actually being ripped off over a dollar lol. Thats all due to fluctuations though. but yeah, it is what it is.