Dragon Quest Builders: If You Build It, They Will Come

• So I figured we needed a thread dedicated to this game. Share your thoughts, experiences, tips, screenshots, glitches, share whatever ya have!

I'm only about two hours deep into the game and I'm loving every second. The first tutorial bits are a little heavy handed but it's nothing too egregious and once the game starts opening up, it just feels downright jolly to roam around. This game is dripping with charm and as someone who is only familiar with the first Dragon Quest/Warrior, it's definitely going to push me into trying out some of the highlights of the main series.

• I loved the demo, enough that I beat it on my PS4 and my Vita. I'm still not sure what system I'm going to purchase it for. It looks ever so slightly better on the PS4 but I'm more likely to play it on the Vita since I can play it in short bursts wherever. I may wait a week or two more to see if it goes on sale anywhere. To me it seems more like a $40 game than a full $60.

• This has been getting really good reviews. I'm going to check out the demo to see what all the fuss is about. Minecraft has never quite hooked me like it has many others so I'm still a bit skeptical of combining a building game with a JRPG.

This will also be the first Drangon Quest anything that I've played 0_0

• I've hit the 2nd chapter, loving the game. There's a TON of "I wish I knew that sooner" already lol.

• Never played a Dragon Quest either, or Minecraft for that matter, but for some reason I'm super intrigued by this. Definitely a Vita title for me though. Perfect for my commute on the train!

• Global Moderator

I have never been into minecraft or similar games to that.. yet this title actually seems interesting (prolly the rpg nerd in me) I have watched some streams on it and it just seems so.. jolly!

• I bought it because I really liked the demo, but it's kind of a downer that I have to redo the whole tutorial again and the demo data doesn't cary over.

That said, I bought it because I liked the demo so much. I was never big into Minecraft just because I don't find big directionless sandboxes very engaging, so having the direction of a JRPG is something appealing to me. Looking forward to playing more soon!

• @Lotias Jolly is absolutely the way to describe it. Like most people posting here, I don't like Minecraft. I have nothing against it but just plopping me into a world with little to no direction makes it very hard for me to self-motivate. I think this game gives you just the right amount of push with quests and the like, while still giving you free reign to pursue your goals as you see fit.

I'm about 4 hours in now (I get tomorrow off from work, so it's nothing but Builders and the Overwatch seasonal event for me!) and I still have a dumb grin on my face while I'm discovering things in this world. I'm really hoping the fellas over at Continue? end up doing a playthrough, as it's thanks to them going through the first Dragon Quest game that I have any knowledge about the series.

• @SabotageTheTruth My thoughts exactly on DQ:B! I'm not into Minecraft because I have the creativity of a brick, and never played a Dragon Quest game for some reason, but Builders hooked me hard from the first demo. My copy came in the mail today, but because of the limited-time Overwatch event I haven't put much time in. Once I get Witch Mercy I'll probably switch over to Builders though. The demo was so darn relaxing to play that I'm sure to full game will be a great way to unwind from a long day

• @Galaxy40k I'm also desperately wanting witch Mercy. Blizzard picked a bad time to drop their update, now I'm torn between these two games, haha.

• Played the demo yesterday and I am impressed! I think the more hand-holding approach to a Minecraft-like experience suites me. I will probably pick this up at some point but the questions is PS4 or Vita? Does the game support cross save?

• @thenerdtheword From what I can tell, no, it doesn't. I own a PSTV so I kinda messed up in picking up the PS4 version but ah well. Still loving this game to death and I haven't even hit the second chapter yet. Taking my sweet time in building up a great city.

• Also good to see Ben is still loving the game. I'm glad chat let him know he didn't need to keep going back to town to pull items out of his chest inventory, that's actually a feature I love.

• Looks like Brandon is loving it too! I'm super impressed by how much time and effort he put into his base. Bit of a shame when he's got to move on to chapter two. I'd love to see what he comes up with in Terra Incognita mode.

• I ended up really spending a lot of time on my chapter 4 castle, probably way more than I should've. It was already base level 4 maxed before I needed it to be level 2 lol.

• @ZyloWolfBane I barely finished up the second chapter last night, anxious to start the third! I'll admit, I didn't really spend a lot of time with the second town. Half of it still had earth walls when I finished. Those blight vibes left me feeling oppressed.

• @SabotageTheTruth said in Dragon Quest Builders: If You Build It, They Will Come:

@ZyloWolfBane I barely finished up the second chapter last night, anxious to start the third! I'll admit, I didn't really spend a lot of time with the second town. Half of it still had earth walls when I finished. Those blight vibes left me feeling oppressed.

Yeah, I didn't bother using anything but dirt until chapter 4. I won't spoil it for ya

I'd already finished the game last saturday :) Was really fun.

• Anyone try the free play mode?

• @bakjoosuk said in Dragon Quest Builders: If You Build It, They Will Come:

Anyone try the free play mode?

I did, but it wasn't quite what I was hoping for. Spoiler tag if this is somehow an issue for anybody

It's for lack of a better term, a toybox. There's nobody to populate your buildings, monsters don't attack your city (Although you can seek them out across portals and fight them at your leisure) and that's basically it. You just create things to share with people online.

Which...just isn't what I wanted, at least the single player was fun though!

• @ZyloWolfBane That makes me just want to stay in chapter 1. I really need to finish it but I'm having too much fun with it.

Looks like your connection to Easy Allies Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.