Franchises gone awry?

• Hi guys! Something that really bums me out is when loved franchises either derail or disappear completely.
    I kind of feel like that's what has happened with franchises like Skylanders Spyro and Crash Bandicoot, where the newer games seem very different to the originals.
    Look at what happened to Spyro :fearful:
    alt text
    I guess he at least makes the other Skylanders look cooler.

What franchises do you feel have changed beyond recognition, and is this necessarily a bad thing? What franchises would you like to see return?

I'd love to know your thoughts!
    alt text
    Muah!

• Paper Mario at the moment is not looking too well. The first two games on the N64 and Gamecube are masterpieces. Great characters, writing, stories, scenarios, environments, battle system, etc. Amazing RPGs.

Super Paper Mario on the Wii was great, especially in the story and characters department, but it definitely started the trends that would later make Paper Mario what it sadly is today. With Sticker Star being so dissappointing, and Color Splash carrying on its battle system, and overall structure, I fear the series that started so strong will not have a bright future.

• This version of Spyro makes me... Sad. How did I not know what they had done to you?! Ripto's Rage and Year of the Dragon are 2 of my all-time favorite games.

Very disappointing indeed.

• Well Final Fantasy seems like a big one.
    It seems like a very long time since they have made a great game. I liked FF 10 and 12, and i'm super excited to play the remake, but neither of these games holds a candle to FF 9.

Maybe 15 will be a great game, but to me it's never going to be a great Final Fantasy game.

• I really hate it when this happens because I'm usually the first person to say that different=/=bad (Super Paper Mario is my fave Paper Mario game and Gen V is my favorite for Pokemon, fight me), but Sonic. God Sonic what happened? You'd think Sega would put more care into games about their mascot but geez. I'm not even a Sonic fan but it's like a trainwreck. It's hard to look, but I can't look away. (But Colors was good.)

• MediEvil. We got one classic(with wonky/dated controlls I'll admit), one great sequel.... And a mediocre psp-remake...

Seriously, I'm dumbfounded by the psp-remake. I don't have an issue with the platform, but why the forced comedy? Why the sidekick? Why simplify the game?

It's a shame the game dissapeared into obscurity because the original was unlike any other game at the time with wonderfull world-design, great voice-acting and let's not forget the legendary soundtrack:

https://youtu.be/fhOm7uzm_Ss?list=PL28C1E17B4CD0A2E2>!

• Bomberman.

That's franchise is pretty much dead. Thanks Konami!

• @michemagius said in Franchises gone awry?:

I really hate it when this happens because I'm usually the first person to say that different=/=bad (Super Paper Mario is my fave Paper Mario game and Gen V is my favorite for Pokemon, fight me), but Sonic. God Sonic what happened? You'd think Sega would put more care into games about their mascot but geez. I'm not even a Sonic fan but it's like a trainwreck. It's hard to look, but I can't look away. (But Colors was good.)

I think the biggest problem with Sonic the Hedgehog is a series of things. The first is the transition to 3D and this emphasis on speed. If you play the original Sonic games, the majority of play is a lot slower than you think, with stress on platforming. They wanted to make the new games faster and more frenetic, but that comes at the cost of controls, making them finicky and at times completely nonexistent as you go on autopilot.

The Second problem is this emphasis on story and dialog. The original sonic games had a very simplistic story, but in the case of Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles, there was a story that was told with zero words or explanation. They showed the story instead of told you about the story and it had a positive impact. They need to slow Sonic down and get back to the roots of Sonic, platforming, allowing a player to move faster if they know the levels and just stop trying to clog the games down with bloated stories.

Another series that does this is the Night's series. The original on the Saturn had simplistic story and no need to explain anything. You had all the pieces. The wii sequel was filled with dialog and cutscenes that take you out of the game and bog down the experience.

• As @Michster said, MediEvil. Would also love an Alundra Reboot!

• @Hetsig said in Franchises gone awry?:

As @Michster said, MediEvil. Would also love an Alundra Reboot!

Never played it but that does look like a little gem. Gonna get it on psn.

• @Michster I got Alundra on christmas when i got my PSX so i haven't played it in years. I do remember it being fairly difficult, but it can be that i was too young to read english or brain capacity back then :p.

• Can only think of Dead Space from the top of my head. Loved the first two games but the third one was a total turn off.

• @Michster
    Yeah! MediEvil was so good. Damn I loved that game as a kid.

• I would say DMC, with the series being in this odd sort of limbo right now. Although the director of 4 keeps saying he wants to make DMC5 happen, also while I did have alot of gripes with DmC at release, rerelease, fixed alot of the gameplay related ones. Honestly I wouldn't mind a DmC2, so long as it was treated as its own sub series (Think of DMC as Megaman X, and DmC as Battle Network)

• @michemagius
    Same, although it seems like Sega is always trying to find a gimmick, but they never come back to revist or refine it, with Lost World being the only exception. Although with Sonic team having taken a extra year for the next game it gives me some hope the 25th Anniversary game, Which is being announced sometime this week if I recall from Sega's Facebook.

• The Shining series. I loved 1 & 2 on my Megadrive. Never got to play 3. The others I didn't care for much except Wisdom on my Saturn which was a bit of a Zelda clone but pretty good.Still waiting on Sega to return with another grid/turn based entry. I can't see it though.

• Banned

@DMCMaster said in Franchises gone awry?:

@michemagius
    Same, although it seems like Sega is always trying to find a gimmick, but they never come back to revisit or refine it, with Lost World being the only exception.

Never revisit it or refine it? Generations improved on Colors and Colors improved on Unleashed.

Lost World is just another Unleashed. The first in a new line to change up the gameplay for the mere sake of change. Whatever they have planned for the next entry it's probably gonna play like Lost World too. I just hope they get rid of the cylinder like level designs.

Overall I'd say the Sonic franchise as a whole is slightly above average at the moment. It could be so much better. They don't need to make games that play EXACTLY like the originals. They just need to make it fun to play.

• This might not count but I'm gonna put it out there: Xenogears > Xenosaga (not exactly the same franchise but spiritually close I guess).

I really enjoyed Xenogears despite its weak second half and when I heard of Xenosaga, I was all ready to jump back into that sweet mix of mecha + eva-esque pseudo philosophy wierdness. It was from the same creator (IIRC), but Xenosaga just fell flat for me. Maybe I had a lot more tolerance for JRPG exposition before, but Xenosaga really pushed it to the limit. It was supposed to be this huge 6 game saga, but it ended up drowning in its own hyperbole. I'm willing to give the games another go, but man, at the time, Xenosaga was a big letdown.

• Sometimes, franchise going away/awry can make other franchises appear. So while it would be nice to see all kinds of franchises return, it's nice to see some fresh franchise trying to pick up where others failed. Also, not having all these franchises can also mean that you might find something completely new to play, which can lead you to some amazing games you may have missed altogether.

So while you're sad for not having x franchise back, why don't you search other, older games, or check what indie devs are cooking up, you might find something to your taste. Summer sales are starting soon, and you might find plenty of fun to be had. Actually, I challenge everyone to find at least one interesting looking game during summer sales, and try it out.

• The list is endless. Maybe I've just grown up and don't want to see change but it feels like all the games I loved as a kid have been dragged through the mud. Or that their good name has been slapped on a half baked game to get people's attention.

Resident evil - 2 was my favourite game on ps1. 1 and 3 were classics. Code veronica was good but got bad reviews, was the worst out of the four which forced a change. Resident evil 4 was good but by the end of the game you had enough of that play style, resident evil 5 comes out and is exactly the same.... Never played re6.

Tomb raider - tomb raider was the most awe inspiring game I've played. The new ones are okay but the exploration and discovery feels lost. Uncharted do it well, tomb raider wants to hold your hand to the next action scene that just involves Seeig how badly they can hurt lara. I miss strong, roundhouse kick you in the face lara.

Final fantasy - I miss Atb. Would rather see a triple a version of bravely default then ff15.

Dawn of war - I personally didn't like 2 but I know others did so I will just say that it is such a drastic change from 1 it felt like a different game and killed the franchise before it got started. Luckily dawn of war 3 is coming and looks more like 1.

Honourable mention to franchises still going that I like.
    Diablo - I like diablo 3, I think it's perfectly similar to two while keeping up with the times.
    Dmc - I liked the new Dante.... He was a douchebag but so was old Dante.
    Halo - haven't played 5 yet but got to appreciate a franchise that knows why they have fans and sticks to its roots.
    Pokemon - same reasons.
    Most Nintendo games.- Nintendo knows how to hold onto its franchises. I Wish Sony did.
    Deserts of kharak (homeworld)- they did well to capture the atmosphere of homeworld considering one is a space game and one is planet based