Franchises gone awry?

• Banned

But they want you to feel bad for Lara because that makes her a better character somehow.

• Great list @Ellis I agree with all of them except tomb raider. I dig the new franchise over the past ones.

Would really like to see Final Fantasy go back to the gameplay and story telling of the 16bit era.
    Pokemon has become a mess to stay "fresh".

The new Dawn of War is supposed to go back to base building so it might return to its former glory.

• Only Fallout comes to my mind at the moment. Bethesda makes well reviewed games that sell great. But Fallout 3 for me was a huge let down. It was a decent game but as a Fallout title it really didn't know what made the earlier ones so great. Then we got New Vegas and it felt like Fallout title, but again Bethesda doesn't understand the games strenghts as an RPG but rather do Fallout 4 as more of a open world shooter.

And what makes this even worse, Fallout was not dying before Bethesda got the rights. There was already a sequel coming. There are so many studios that could do better job with the franchise. For example Wasteland 2 is so much better "Fallout game" than Fallout 3.

• There were two very different games that I played when I was young: Neverwinter Nights and Tony Hawk. Both of these games have gone awry, one more than the other.

The story of Tony Hawk we all know now. I had hope when that cheap HD Tony Hawk game came out, that the next games would be better. But no. Definitely not. Maybe, just maybe Activision will let someone else make a new TH game for next gen? Otherwise I don't want to see a new TH game.

And Neverwinter Nights 1 is still one of my favourite games of all time. I immediately bought the sequel and I thought it was horrible. Clunky, slow, and incredibly demanding for my PC although it didn't look very good. I really hope that someone will make a NN1 HD remake or a new game. That game deserves it.

• @Art It's so that players "will want to protect" her!

If she's not getting beaten up constantly by the environment it's a failure of the game designers.
    alt text
    It's a livin'!

• The Elder Scrolls games, if you look at how ambitious Daggerfall was and where they are now it makes me sad.

• @OneBagTravel I buy new tomb raider and do enjoy them. They have got better everytime since legend. It's just the hand holding, you can turn most off, it's the "survivor sense" that highlights everything around you. I don't see why it's needed. Maybe make it an option if someone gets stuck in a room for too long.

And final fantasy is a strange one. It's stuck between trying to be new but clinging on to the old. It's always been about a party of heroes you control to save the world. The new ones are following that route but the gameplay doesn't give you control of the group. They feel like they are just there for the sake of it in battle. I sit there begging to let me fight the fight on my own or give proper control of the whole
    group

• @Ellis I feel that a lot of the setpieces in the Tomb Raider Reboot felt almost like they were 'on rails', which really kind of deflated the sense of urgency for me. Also having the final boss be a QTE felt like a weird decision to me.
    The mechanics and gameplay are really good though! So I do feel there's lots to like in the game as well.
    Would you recommend the sequel at all?

• Banned

@ThatMartime

If you liked the Tomb Raider reboot you'll enjoy its sequel.

• @Art I guess not then haha

• @ThatMartime this one has more open areas then the previous I will say that much. I haven't completed it so I don't know about the final boss but there was a mini boss that I fought with just my arrow and grenades, little QTE. I sounded like I was talking it down but there is moments where you walk into a room and stop and gaze at the graphics. It just seems like your being rushed all the time. I got to a temple that looked stunning and I wanted to explore, suddenly I was being chased by a helicopter while being shot at and the bridge I was on started collapsing haha maybe, hopefully, the game will slow down bit later on.

• Banned

Mario Party.
    Holy fuck what a travesty that series has become.

• @Mechanoid YES! Xenogears still ranks as one of my favorite games of all time and it never gets the love it deserved. Xenosaga had some great ideas but you're right, in drowned in cut-scene after cut-scene, with so much information being thrown at you with little to no explanation as to what any of it meant. I'm interested in the Xenoblade series as well but from what I hear, it's light on the story... which is one of the parts that really made Xenogears shine.

Since no one has mentioned it, I'm going to be "that" guy... Silent Hill! Any IP under Konami is literally a sinking ship at the moment but it's a series that seemingly freaked everyone out and pushed survival-horror into completely new territory and now it's just a pachinko machine. Silent Hill 2 still stands as one of the most grim stories ever told through the medium of video games. Sure, we had P.T. but that just led to the cancellation of what may have been the revitalization of the franchise. I honestly don't see Konami doing anything with the franchise (whether that be selling the rights to someone or making a legitimate game) so I'm left here, wishing I had one more opportunity to enter the fog.

• Final Fantasy - Has been dead for me since IX.
    Power Stone - It's never coming back...
    Warcraft 4 - Will never, ever happen... as long as WoW lives
    Bethesda - Since Skyrim they have "dumbed down" their games to a dangerous degree. Next Elders Scrolls needs to be way more like Morrowind than Skyrim (will never happen)

Dino Crisi/Turok - Haven't played the newest Turok but if I understand correctly, it's not that great. There has to be a market for dinosaurslaughter. ARK is garbage.

• Seeing a lot of Final Fantasy discussion here and while I understand it, each is different from the last so everyone will have their favorites in the series and others may not like the top choices, but the sister series that has gone off the rails is Kingdom Hearts. I am die-hard KH fan but enough is enough. Now I will defend that 358/2 Days and Birth by Sleep were actually enjoyable, but Chain of Memories and Re:Coded were blights in terms of gameplay and story (especially Re:Coded) I have yet to play Dream, Drop, Distance, so I will find out for myself about that when it hits the PS4 in 6 months but this series needs to wrap it up. KH III should be the end. An honorable mention goes to Ratchet and Clank, but the reboot restored faith that was tarnished by All 4 One and Full Frontal Assault (Into the Nexus was alright), so HOPEFULLY, Insomniac may get back on track with how successful the reboot was.

• I will say two that pops in my mind right now:
    Top Spin
    Pandemonium

• @SabotageTheTruth I'm playing through Xenogears right now and I'm loving it, but whatever you heard about Xenoblade is misguided. Especially the first Xenoblade, one of the greatest tales ever told! Xenoblade X leans more into the side quests and the world than the main story and characters, but still loooove that game, no game does mechs better!

Youtube Video

• @TOPHATANT123 I do have a New 3DS XL now... so it looks like I may need to take the plunge.

• @Vexchaneu I feel like that's a bit unfair. It's much easier to make a gigantic world when all you need to add another town is a handful of textures and some text. As world detail goes up, the man-hours cost of creating those worlds goes up exponentially. It's no coincidence that as the series has gone along, the worlds have gotten both smaller and more detailed. I don't think it has anything to do with their ambition, just the simple facts of what it takes to make a video game.

Creating all of Tamriel in the level of detail that is present in Skyrim would be...Well, it took them 4 years to make Skyrim, and there's 9 provinces, so very roughly we'd be looking at a 36 year development time?

• @Killericon I don't think i'm being unfair at all at the time Daggerfall was cutting edge it was filled with new levels of freedom, Bethesda has savagely curtailed freedom in their most recent games.
    I don't mind the game map getting smaller I do mind freedom being taken away.