Who else is ready to waste all of your time. (Civ VI)

• Preloading it right now, so pumped. PCGamer gave iot a 9.3 already....still 6 1/2 hours until it unlocks though! :(

• @Exist-2-Inspire How dare you complain about 6 1/2 hours you damn Euro!!!!! :P

PC Gamer's review is really encouraging, probably not sleeping tonight.

• This is amazing <3

Youtube Video

• @Exist-2-Inspire It is, I'm 3 hours in, and loving it, but I have to call it for tonight, tomorrow it's gonna be a long day at work.

• @bard91, You saying that means that Civ VI isn't as good, as you are not still playing it for "one more turn", or you have amazing talent to stop playing these games, no matter how good they are.

• Oh man, loving everything about this game. the menus are all nice, the graphics look outstanding, the music is relaxing.

The new system for handling your government policies makes it much easier to manage perks you need WHEN you need them, city-states feel a lot more important.

Only thing I'm having an issue with is now with the way you have to set up districts it makes barbarian attacks much more costly when they destroy everything, so you can't always play passively, which...I'm kind of bad at.

But otherwise this is by far one of the best sequels.

• @jipostus I may well have a new found superpower

• @jipostus I'm sure they did a terrific job with this one but I'm still going to wait. As I said, I'm fine with Civ V by now.

• Managed to play a grand total of 15MINS over the weekend. So far so good even if it runs like crap on my laptop.

• Finished first game, playing as China, on King.

The AI is completely freakin' insane. They go from warning you, to praising you, to denouncing you, all in the space of a turn or two.

While the base mechanics are extremely solid, I think the agenda system is broken at the moment. Having both Trajan and Peter denounce me in the first freaking 10 turns because I haven't expended enough or focused enough on culture/science is insane, I've only had the time to create a scout and they're already getting mad at me.

• @sonmi Yeah the AI can change very fast on how they perceive you from what I've seen, but I gotta say that the agendas are a great way to help the player make decisions, based on who they want to keep happy, but I do agree that they are not working great all of time, like having Kongo denounce me for not spreading my religion, a turn after I found it. Hopefully it is something they'll tweak and improve so that it works as expected.

I've really enjoyed my time with the game until now, I was barely able to go to sleep last night.

• Anyone else finding Barbarians are overly aggressive? I abandoned my first game because I was having to fight of countless waves of them from all sides of my starting city. It sucked up about 20 turns and got far too tedious to carry on. I was only playing on Prince difficulty too!

• After about 30 hours of starting new games and playing the first 50 turns over and over with my friends online I finally won a singleplayer game.

I won via tech as Trajan on Emperor. Ghandi was the only person on the continent with me and he and I got along swimmingly the entire game. The other Civs were so far away that they never declared war on me. The others certainly hated me but they never tried to kill me or anything. I ran into the same problems as Sonmi with the agendas. As soon as I meet certain Civs they just hate me or like me depending on how much I have expanded or if I have declared war or some other nonsense reason.

• How well optimized is Civ6?

The only thing I have to play it on at the moment is a shitty old laptop (that meets the system reqs). But if it's one of those games where you have to overcompensate with the hardware I'm not sure it will run properly on my laptop.

Thanks in advance!

• @thenerdtheword They are very aggresive for sure, I'm also playing on prince right now, and they can't just be ignored. In my experience though they haven't been that hard to deal with, but it has forced me to develope my military more in the early game.

• @bard91 said in Who else is ready to waste all of your time. (Civ VI):

@thenerdtheword They are very aggresive for sure, I'm also playing on prince right now, and they can't just be ignored. In my experience though they haven't been that hard to deal with, but it has forced me to develope my military more in the early game.

Yeah that's what I'm needing to do too.

• My strategy for fighting barbarians is:

• Build a slinger 2nd (after my scout) and use it and my warrior to take out encampments.
    • If there are still too many barbarians I rush archery and try to get 2-3 archers.
    • The +5 combat strength vs barbarians policy is infinitely better than double recon exp.
    • Kill all of the scouts that show up. If they see your city and get back to a camp, that camp will start spawning tons of units.

This strategy usually works, but still the barbarians can get out of hand if they scout you out.

• @Brandon_Reister said in Who else is ready to waste all of your time. (Civ VI):

My strategy for fighting barbarians is:

• Build a slinger 2nd (after my scout) and use it and my warrior to take out encampments.
    • If there are still too many barbarians I rush archery and try to get 2-3 archers.
    • The +5 combat strength vs barbarians policy is infinitely better than double recon exp.
    • Kill all of the scouts that show up. If they see your city and get back to a camp, that camp will start spawning tons of units.

This strategy usually works, but still the barbarians can get out of hand if they scout you out.

I have come to both love and hate that barbarians are a legit concern in the early game now. My tactics are pretty similar to yours at this point.

• In an online game today a friend of mine legit lost to barbarians. His capital was scouted out by 2 barbarian encampments in single digit turns.

• @suplextrain said in Who else is ready to waste all of your time. (Civ VI):

How well optimized is Civ6?

The only thing I have to play it on at the moment is a shitty old laptop (that meets the system reqs). But if it's one of those games where you have to overcompensate with the hardware I'm not sure it will run properly on my laptop.

Thanks in advance!

I have a fairly decent PC so my word probably won't mean much, but by default the game was maxed out from auto-detection and it was 60FPS on a GTX Titan (Launch titan, not one of the newer models), CPU is a 4770k 4.2Ghz.

I turned down a few settings like shadows to relieve some of the heat it was generating though, cause it's not really fall weather here. But yeah it seems to be optimized quite well for medium/high end.

Laptops are a tricky beast, but there's always Steam's return policy. You'd know well before 2 hours elapse whether it'll be playable or not.