Backlog

• I've come to realize that handling games and finishing them quickly isn't making games fun. I have a massive backlog with around 150 games. I've got loads of PS + games and games i've purchased. I am no longer going to rush through games just to cross it off my list.

I don't know if you guys have realized this as well. But i have too little time on my hands where i can constantly rush through games anymore. How do you deal with them? Do you play a lot of games at the same time or just stick with one?

• My 'to play' list is about 900 games or so (my 'to watch' film list is a little over 2k), and I do what I can to work through them. Thinking about the next game in line, or rushing through them isn't the right way to do it. Take each game on its own terms, spend the time that feels appropriate with it, think about it, enjoy it if you can.

When it comes to playing multiple games, I try to stick to one RPG at a time, and then maybe one other story-involved game, and then something else quicker or more arcade-like as well. Then there are games I'll play just to mess around or improve my play in as well.

That's what works for me, anyways.

• I have over 600 titles on Steam alone which I haven't even touched yet. Not to mention nearly hundred titles on GOG, and all those great games I have missed completely among years. I try to play these games whenever I have extra time, though now that I started my studies in university, I can forget about free time for quite a while :(

• Think how much Kyle loves Tetris or how much Huber loves Resident Evil. That kind of passion isn't born from speeding through a game once just to hop into the next. Sure, there will be games you may want to only play once or only complete the main quest in. Yet taking the time to appreciate certain games that you love, to become familiar and well-versed in all that it offers, is a very rewarding thing. As sad as it is, none of us will ever have time to play them all. So we should make sure we are enjoying ourselves with the time we have, whether that means forging ahead to new things or taking time to bask in the glory of the old.

• I'm really picky, so my backlog is pretty small. I didn't even have one until a couple of years ago:

Alien Isolation (Xbox One)
    Rocket League (Xbox One)
    Halo 4 (Xbox 360)
    Tony Hawk's Project 8 (Xbox 360)
    Metroid Prime Trilogy (Wii)
    Okami (Wii)

• My backlog is alt text

But rushing through games is not an option for me, especially not games I havn't played yet, and (J)RPGs being my favorite genre doesn't exactly helps. I mean I payed money (for mot of) it, I want to see everything, like in Trails of Cold Steel I talked to every person every day at every time of day as they always have something new to say, and I don't regret a second of it.

• i gotta get back to mgs5 and fallout 4. i stopped mgs5 after learning i had to redo a mission to fulton some random guy just to beable to learn a language so i could interrogate a guy to advance the story

i also have 10-15 ps2 games i pick up for nothing at flea markets that i have to play.

• It just keeps growing and growing, and things inevitably fall off never to come back, so I try to practice what a wise man once said.

"Buy them all, play what you can"

Now I can't say that I do buy every game that I want, but I have definitively have bought my fair share of games that I don't have time for, just this year I have the following three in a pile right next to me.

Xenoblade Chronicles
    Magana Carta 2
    Star Ocean The Last Hope

None of these are quick games by any strectch, and tehre are plenty more I want to play, bu I don't stress over it, I just play what I feel like, and enjoy them as much as I can.

• I don't keep a physical backlog.. otherwise I wouldn't be able to sleep or focus on anything else. I at most keep 2 or 3 games on hand at a time and just have a running list things to pick up when the price is reasonable or there's a lull in releases that I need to get on day 1.

I like to give games the amount of time they deserve so I usually end up missing some here and there.. plus there are entire genres (jrpg) and consoles (snes, a lot of Wii) that I've missed out on.

• @Ringedwithtile said in Backlog:

My 'to play' list is about 900 games or so (my 'to watch' film list is a little over 2k), and I do what I can to work through them. Thinking about the next game in line, or rushing through them isn't the right way to do it.

My watch list is a lot more important to me than my to-play list. Do you have a particular software or something for keeping track? Currently I use my iPhone notes and a checkmark emoji for "downloaded/in possession" and a film reel emoji for having screened it.

Sometimes I come across movies that I wanna watch by reading lists or reading a Criterion Collection article online and then I forget to add it to my iPhone. Not the best situation.

I was thinking about starting a thread on the Off-topic forum called "Season Up" or "Spice Rack" where the community here can help curate films so we can be more seasoned film viewers. List our interests, find other curators we know of, and simply recommend away. Obscure to classics to silent to hidden gems to mainstream.

• @Faaip said in Backlog:

plus there are entire genres (jrpg) and consoles (snes, a lot of Wii) that I've missed out on.

I completely understand, but reading this legitimately makes me sad.

• @GoTaco said in Backlog:

@Ringedwithtile said in Backlog:

My 'to play' list is about 900 games or so (my 'to watch' film list is a little over 2k), and I do what I can to work through them. Thinking about the next game in line, or rushing through them isn't the right way to do it.

My watch list is a lot more important to me than my to-play list. Do you have a particular software or something for keeping track? Currently I use my iPhone notes and a checkmark emoji for "downloaded/in possession" and a film reel emoji for having screened it.

Sometimes I come across movies that I wanna watch by reading lists or reading a Criterion Collection article online and then I forget to add it to my iPhone. Not the best situation.

I was thinking about starting a thread on the Off-topic forum called "Season Up" or "Spice Rack" where the community here can help curate films so we can be more seasoned film viewers. List our interests, find other curators we know of, and simply recommend away. Obscure to classics to silent to hidden gems to mainstream.

I use iCheckmovies to keep track of what I've seen and also to discover some stuff, but I don't really use it to organize a whole lot. Mostly I rely on a couple of gmail drafts where I write down whatever seems interesting and keep it organized by year.

And yeah, I'd be down for dealing some recommendations and stuff. I have a pretty broad knowledge of film and I'm always looking to find new stuff. I'm actively working on a series you can find in the Blog section on here about my favorite movies, but I'm still in the early silent era. Though they aren't recommendations exactly (just personal favs), give it a look; there might be some to discover!

• @Ringedwithtile

Amazing! I'm gonna look at your blog for sure.

I was put on a lot of random movies by a rapper I like named R.A. The Rugged Man who is a huge film geek and he used to have a series on Film.com and I love his obscure knowledge of weird and hilarious movies. Some faves were "The Pit" where this little ugly boy who is bullied throws people into this pit. Another is "The Possession of Joel Delaney" where this guy gets possessed in some voodoo hex by a Puerto Rican dude and starts killing women and makes his nephew get naked. It's racist but funny as all hell.

I'd love to find out about more movies like that.

• @Billy Which part? I never had a snes!

• @Faaip Haha, mostly that. That's the primary system I grew up on, and I have a lot of nostalgia and memories tied to it. But I'm sure I missed out on someone else's childhood games. It's just not the same to go back and play them now. It can be fun and enlightening, but not the same.

• @Billy Yeah I know what you mean. Its definitely at the top of my list though, but also since I've been moving around to different apartments and stuff I haven't even brought all my consoles/games over from my parent's house. It'll happen in time haha

• I just play what I fancy at any given time really. I don't tend to think of what I have left or how many.

I personally finish my games quickly, my end times always seem to be drastically under other what other people have. I wouldn't say I rush my games though. To me rushing would be a deliberate act where you are indeed trying to get through it as fast as possible. My speedruns aside, I don't do that, I just tend to get through them quickly in general.

I mostly avoid side stuff now though. There are a few exceptions but for the vast majority of games I find that I get both my money's worth and just as memorable an experience by completing the core story/campaign/missions alone. I've gone back and mopped up in a few games here and there, but never felt I missed anything worthwhile by not investing more time on my first time around. Moving on to a brand new game has always been the better choice.

• @Ringedwithtile yeah that's what i figured. I don't feel any enjoyment in just finishing them for the sake of crossing them off a list

• @GoTaco i have a note book on my phone of games i keep track of

• @The_Andredal I'm facing that exact problem myself. There are just way too many games I have to play. But instead of just trying to beat it as quickly as possible, I instead try to devote my procrastination time into it. So instead of watching youtube vids all day and just 9gag or whatever. Turns out I waste a lot of my time doing nothing. And when I get really into a game, that's all I want to end up doing anyways. Wake up, fire up the game. Keep playing until I realize I should probably sleep now I don't want to be passed out in class tomorrow.

I did feel rushed though recently, with Mafia 3 coming out. I wanted to experience 1 & 2 first. I was very impatient with Mafia 1. The game just did not age well at all, the driving was not that fun, and there were just too many parts of the game where it was drive here to here. And I was getting real tired of it and just wanted to teleport there or fast travel instead, but there wasn't an option to do that. It's just when there are really boring things you have to do repeatedly in games that I get impatient, like pleeease just get this over with. I don't want to do this anymore.

Hopefully you can time manage your gaming time more and enjoy more. Not sure if I helped at all. But take it easy and enjoy your games.