World of Final Fantasy Demo Available

• This launched for PS4 and Vita. What's everyone's take on it?

When I saw the initial reveal of this game, I didn't care. After playing the demo, I somehow care even less. As much as a cute Final Fantasy sounds like it would be appealing, I can already tell they're leaning heavy on the nostalgic aspect of, "REMEMBER THIS CHARACTER?!?! Remember how much you love them? You love them... right?" without really adding anything new. Maybe that's a lot to gleam from an extremely short demo. The stacking mechanic seemed interesting but I found myself speeding up battles and pressing attack over and over. The designs of the main characters remind me of a cast that was rejected from a Kingdom Hearts spin-off and the voice acting of the critters that help you had me wishing Navi was there instead.

If someone took joy and delight out of this demo, please, let me know where I've fallen astray. I hate to have zero positive take-a-ways from something, especially after Dragon Quest Builders has charmed its way so easily into my heart.

• i think the game would be better at 39.99 not 79.99 i just dont see it being a full priced title ill pick it up when its cheaper

• I was one the fence about this one as I didn't really followed it by watching trailers since the reveal, but after the demo, which I played for roughly 4 hours, I preordered it, I NEED IT!

@FF7Cloud said in World of Final Fantasy Demo Available:

i think the game would be better at 39.99 not 79.99 i just dont see it being a full priced title ill pick it up when its cheaper

You must be canadian.

• @Musou-Tensei i am lol game prices are crazy if a games full price with tax its 90 bucks and change

• @Musou-Tensei 4 hours... how?

• Gotta catch em all!

• @SabotageTheTruth Capturing all monsters (the Fenrir pops up so rarely and Cockatrice often died to quick) and experimenting with the battle system since the demo doesn't explain much.
    Bit on purpose though as I just had finished MegaNep and didn't wanted to start a actual new game as I knew I will get DQ Builders soon. Spent most gaming time today with the Pokemon demo for the same reason.

• @Musou-Tensei I saw two Fenrirs, I guess RNG was loving me. For some reason, opening the treasure chests at the end and having it play a trailer opposed to giving me actual treasure really bummed me out... even though it was the end, so I'm not sure what good treasure would have been. Well, I'm glad you enjoyed the demo at least! I guess I'm just too jaded.

• @SabotageTheTruth I saw 3, I think, but I killed the 1st one because I didn't had a good attack to unbalance his staple(? I played the german version so I'm not sure about the english terminology), and the 2nd took a while to appear.
    I can see why this game isn't for everyone, like i said even though it's a JRPG, I was one the fence.

• @Musou-Tensei Stack is how the English version described it.

• Banned

You know they fucked up the combat when there's a fast forward button to help speed things along.

That's just a lazy fix.

• @Art The combat animations in particular confuse me. If I attack an enemy, do I run up and slash them? No, I stand in place and move my arm. It makes fights lack impact.

• Banned

@SabotageTheTruth It's like I'm really playing on the NES! How retro.

• Global Moderator

Every time I read about world of final fantasy I always feel that it was a title just to have something to let us viewers cool down with between announcements in the turbo charge presentation that were E3 with all epicness.

• I thought it was cool, I just hope there's a bit more depth and difficulty than what the demo presented. I don't mind having a romp in most games but in an RPG I get really turned off when I'm not forced to use my brain at all and just spam "X" without looking at the screen.

• The demo is pretty wierd and the game feels like it's for kids. But I will admit there is some good stuff in there... but also some absolutely atrocious stuff. I mean good lord for a game called World of Final Fantasy it had one of the blandest enviroments I've seen in a long time and it doesn't even look good. I also don't get the point of all the chibi FF cameos that just say one thing out in the field, they could just be replaced by chests.

• I was disappointed by the demo the game just felt unbelievably hollow. There was some stuff to like in there: the focus on monsters, the fan service, the chibi character designs. But on the whole it just felt empty to me.

I'll be giving this one a miss unless I can pick it up for cheap and seeing as this is a Final Fantasy game that isn't going to happen for a while >.<

• Global Moderator

It's not really a surprise that the combat is awful is it? It's the same as every other turn based Final Fantasy game where the battles are extremely slow and the animations are way too long. It's crazy that this system is still acceptable to people.

It's not too surprising to see that FFXV isn't turn based (or FFVII remake).

Anyway between this demo and the Dragon Quest Builders demo, I'm a lot more interested in the latter. As a positive for both, it's nice to see them both run well on Vita.

• Banned

@tokeeffe9 said in World of Final Fantasy Demo Available:

It's not really a surprise that the combat is awful is it? It's the same as every other turn based Final Fantasy game where the battles are extremely slow and the animations are way too long. It's crazy that this system is still acceptable to people.

While I am looking forward to the more action oriented real time combat system Square has planned for the future of the Final Fantasy series I really wouldn't say that all past games have had terrible combat.

• Global Moderator

It's the one thing I always struggle with. I've said a few times that I finished FF9 at the beginning of this year and I found that to be so slow and boring in combat. 95% of battles are just repeat. The worst is the major attacks. The animations mean that they take so long just to complete an attack that I rarely used them. To be fair it was the pal version so that would automatically make it a little slower.

But literally right after I played Suikoden and that was such a joy in comparison. Battles are super quick and enjoyable. And even if it is one that you've fought several times before, you can just auto the fight and get it over with quickly.