NX (NOW NINTENDO SWITCH) REVEALED TODAY

• @Art That only goes for future projects though, the games I already have and are still coming to 3DS exclusively won't disappear.
    Something dawned on me though, the next main Pokemon games after Sun and Moon could be for NS, which means finally a main Pokemon on the big screen again (again because playing GBA games on the GC's Game Boy Player). That would be pretty cool actually.

Also just looked at the support list again and realized Marvelous is on it too, which could mean that there might be a NS exclusive Senran Kagura or something else from Righteous Boobage Producer Takaki, then I'm 100% sold :3

• @Art said in NX REVEALED TODAY:

@Syran The human eye can't see past 15 fps anyway. Movie makers in the 1920s' knew this.

Anything beyond that is extravagance.

That's... not quite how that works. ^^'

15 FPS is generally cited as the minimum required for our brains to interpret an object as moving. A lower frame rate would just be a succession of still images. But pretty much anyone can discern the difference between 15 and 30 FPS, and obviously most people can also see the difference between 30 and 60. According to the study linked here, 45 FPS is the average humans can perceive. 15 FPS would make most games pretty much unplayable.

In case you were only trolling to begin with: Well, you got me!

• Banned

I can't wait to see Sony's portable console next gen. You know it's coming.

• @Syran i think you need to adjust your sarcasm detector. :)

I can't wait to see Sony's portable console next gen. You know it's coming.

This thing is basically a vita+vita tv already.

• @TokyoSlim You'd be surprised how many people are convinced that 24 FPS is the maximum human eyes can perceive. But I guess this forum is a more sophisticated environment, so you may be right. xD

• Can't wait to hear Kyle talk about this

• Getting pretty hyped for this! I was nervous about whatever gimmick Nintendo was gonna add to their next console, but this is something that I can deal with and actually get more excited about the more I think about it. Looks good, glad to see some big 3rd Party names there, nice to see Nintendo putting themselves back into the name of the console, and I'm excited for a new 3D Mario game!

Hoping we see Nintendo follow up soon to answer questions like prices, battery life, all that jazz. But I'm definitely very optimistic.

• I will never undertand people that want all consoles to look the same,play the same and play the exact same games.

• Wow, came back from vacation and it's NX/NS reveal day! I'm liking what I'm seeing. But I share the same sentiments as Don. I'm excited for sure but also kinda bewildered about the system. It's cool but at the same time I'm going, "Whaa...? Why? Oh... okay?" So many questions left to answer, especially the specs...

One thing I did notice was that the Joy-Cons do seem to have shoulder buttons (more like a see-saw switch?) which double as the slide lock when docking.

• Did anyone realize that there seems to be no manual camera movement in the Mario gameplay and basically all she does is going in one direction? This has me worried actually, please don't be like Crash Bandicoot.

• Looks ok. Not too interested in the hardware or its features. Mostly interest in their game lineup. No backwards compatibility is a bummer.

IMO handheld games are best suited for handheld devices. It was always an intriguing concept to have high powered console games on the go, but this was the premise for PSP and Vita. And look how those turned out.

Nintendo is delusional if they truly believe people will go play console games socially in public. People get out to get out. Most people play online. Local multiplayer is mostly dead.

• Banned

@matt said in NX REVEALED TODAY:

Nintendo is delusional if they truly believe people will go play console games socially in public. People get out to get out. Most people play online. Local multiplayer is mostly dead.

You may be right.

Then again, Gamefreak will probably be making a Pokemon game for it. So I can see all the 6-7 and 20-25 year olds playing it everywhere they go.

• @Art you're right but it's funny that the Pokemon crowd has been doing that all along. And this iteration will be loved because now they can enjoy it on the big screen at home.

• @Stephleref I looked through the Mario Kart gameplay and see no sign of a Double Dash like feature.

• It looks like a step in the right direction for Nintendo, but I see no reason to make the switch, not just yet at least.

Really though, Nintendo Switch? The name is the only thing I can say I actively hate. The rest looks fairly jolly.

• Banned

Nintendo's next console should be named the Super Nintendo Switch.

That way we'd have the Ns and the Sns. BRILLIANT!!

Nintendo's next console should be named the Super Nintendo Switch.

That way we'd have the Ns and the Sns. BRILLIANT!!

You mean Nintendo's next next console.

• Its been a while since I've been able to be here, but now I'm in a position to add my thoughts:

I was floored by this video. I think they did a real wonderful job at showing the hardware's utility and teasing the software for it. I'm not the biggest big N fan out there as I have owned a home console from them in over a decade. I was interested in the Wii, but there wasn't enough compelling games on it for me to buy, and that is something I will argue for until the end of time: No matter how cool, innovative, or compelling your product is, if you don't have the games, you can't have my money.

PSVR is working its way for me with Batman: Arkham VR and the X-Wing mission from Battlefront, but the three minutes from this video today has done more, again for me, than I thought it would. The on the go aspect does appeal to me, and playing a home game on long car trips (I take more of those than necessary) is really cool. And I agree with @Faaip, the plane portion is the biggest sticking point in my mind.

Onto the new video itself:

The home unit looks slightly weird, but with an extractable unit, this isn't a dealbreaker for me.
    The combined handheld portion (no screen) of the controller is a little more jarring. I understand the need to put them somewhere when not connected to the portable screen, but I'm not a huge fan of that design.
    The handheld in full (with screen) looks like a nice size. I don't own a 3DS, so I can't speak to that, but the Vita is nice to hold. This looks like an even better fit for me. Super sleek, thin, and the controllers, aren't half bad.
    Carts don't bother me, so not having a CD isn't a big deal personally.
    Again, the plane portion. Holy. Crap.
    Skyrim? Huh. That should make waves as a launch title.
    While it is a good idea to have a fundamental controller, a straight 360 rip-off is a little on the nose. I would've liked to see something a little more unique, but shoulda, woulda, coulda.
    I'm not concerned with multiplayer functionality because I'm not going to be in a position to play with others in the first place. The sides may be small, but in the end, for me, its better that way.
    Good lord Mario looks good.
    NBA 2K17? Third party support is A MUST. Let's see what this console will have in its first year on the market.
    So Splatoon 2 right? Not a port, but a full fledged remake? Right?

Now for what matters to me: Whats your price point and your launch lineup? I might get this, and that stuns me. I actually might get another console. But games and budget trump all.

Also, MAJOR Thanks and shout out to @DMCMaster for providing the video!!

• @matt said in NX REVEALED TODAY:

Looks ok. Not too interested in the hardware or its features. Mostly interest in their game lineup. No backwards compatibility is a bummer.

IMO handheld games are best suited for handheld devices. It was always an intriguing concept to have high powered console games on the go, but this was the premise for PSP and Vita. And look how those turned out.

I get where you're coming from with this but a lot of the dedicated handheld market has been dominated by console style gaming of late. The 3DS is basically JRPG machine at this point and the Vita* has a similar niche-core appeal albeit with more of an indie slant. Mobile has eaten up the casual short play session games. So the Switch seems like a good move in that it is making an actual attempt at giving you console like experiences with presumably a catalogue of smaller footprint games to play on the go instead of pulling out your phone. That's Nintendo making an effort to appease the core while also potentially winning back the casual audience they've lost to mobile games.

With the local multiplayer aspect I will have to totally disagree with you. Every few months or so I get together with my closet friends for a weekend of hanging out. We're pushing 30 so time is precious and when we get together we want to share experiences. We mainly play board games but I usually bring a console with me too and we play a lot of local multiplayer titles. If the ease of use for local multiplayer is as smooth as the trailer shows then the Switch is on to something in my book.

Support for 2 players no matter what, wherever you are is a big thing. Then having two Switches next to each other connecting and supporting 4 players just makes it so accessible. So while the video showed a lot of less than realistic situations of people coming together to play on the Switch, I think there is the potential for stuff like that to actually happen. But instead of hanging out by the basketball court, think more 30+ year old people attempting to relive their youth by playing Bomberman on tiny controllers while drinking.

For me and my situation though it is perfect. I have an hour or so public transport commute in and out of London each day which since having a baby has become my prime gaming time. Knowing that I can play a full NEW Zelda game on the train and presumably the next Gen of Pokémon titles while also still being able to enjoy new Mario, Animal Crossing, Metroid (plz nintendo it is time!), StarFox, Smash, etc. all on the go has me really excited. Hooking it up to the TV when I get the chance is just an added bonus. Then the multiplayer stuff works with being able to share it with my friends when I see them.

I'm pretty much sold on it but I need to see more games.

The poor Vita, it truly is the handheld space's Dreamcast...*
    **The poor Dreamcast, it truly was the best console if you were into a certain style of game...