Red Dead Redemption 2 (PS4/XBO/PC)

• I hit max honor and celebrated by going and shooting up Rhodes.

• I've been thinking about how train robberies work outside of story mission set pieces. The way the law shows up immediately and the amount of bounty you get versus the amount you are able to rob seems to make it pretty useless, right? Not to mention I would usually get shot down pretty quickly and die anyways. I wonder what they intended that to actually be like? Also the janky way you rob the safes where sometimes the door doesn't blow off makes me think they didn't really finish off the way they wanted this to work.

It seems to me a good solution would have been to use the same or very similar AI on lawmen as they use on bounty hunters, where they spawn a ways off and you can see them on the map slowly tracking you down. Then it would become this race against time to see how long you think you can linger before running, and you could gradually improve and/or find better places to stop the train to hold them off longer.

I've noticed this with Rockstar games especially since they took out property ownership in GTA for instance. They're afraid of giving you ways of making more than just meager amounts of money in the open world because they don't want to break the story, but then they give you more than enough rope to hang yourself by letting you rack up a $300 bounty in a open world gunfight with the law, so then they have to overcorrect by showering you with cash in the story in case you want to pay off the possibly multiple $300 bounties you've racked up while trying to make money on your own.

Apologies for the rant towards the end there, but TL;DR why not use the slow tracking from bounty hunters during train robberies? Do you think they made them unprofitable on purpose for balance or was it just poorly implemented?

• @robbobwill I agree with you. Nearly anything you do outside of the story mode that is entirely in the realm of being an outlaw, you are immediately reprimanded and punished for doing. I stopped playing as "the bad guy" because I got tired of bounties and how the game already knew I was doing something wrong, even if I purposely did it in an area with no witnesses or hunted down any witnesses. A lot of people haven't experienced that problem since most play a good guy on first playthroughs of games. This game more than any Rockstar game has a way they want you to play and you are given plenty of discouragement to stray from that very rigid path even a little. By far, the most restrictive open world I've ever encountered.

• And that's me at the credits. I'm honestly really impressed by how far Rockstar's writing and directing comes on in leaps and bounds. Every game is a massive improvement of the last. It genuinely feels like I've justed watched an 80 hour Oscar-winning movie, not a video game. There are some cutscenes, especially in Chapter 6, that are just works of art all by themselves.

I wish there was an easier way to hunt regular animals that was more like legendaries. Just being able to buy a hunting map would have been really helpful. I had to spend a few hours wandering around looking for a 3-star Cougar for my last Satchel.

• I haven't read this yet, but it seems like a good read.

• I'm way late to the party, just finished the game. Gotta say some things about it, spoiler stuff here:

Things i like:

- This is a goddamn beautiful game. My word. The weather effects and skybox especially. The atmosphere and feel of the world is nothing short of amazing because of it. Whether it's dark skies surrounding a soft sunset, a wall of mist and dust covering everything around you, or the sudden strike of thunder from the dark clouds, it's all so glorious.
    ! - The cast of characters overall are awesome. Hosea, Lenny, Rain Falls and Sadie are my favorite... aside from Arthur, of course. I wish I hung out with Hosea and Lenny more. Fantastic writing and performance from all. It's always fun to come back to the camp and talk with the crew, or do missions with them. Arthur is definitely on my top 5 video game characters list, maybe number 2. I can't get enough of his VO performance, it elevated the already impressive writing to even higher levels.
    ! - The opening (chapter 1) is probably one of my favorite first few hours in a video game ever. I love the depressed tone it starts with, showing everyone in the crew working together harder than ever to survive. Sadie's family being killed also set the tone of the world they're up against for the rest of the game. Ending it with a good heist mission is a nice touch.
    ! - Chapter 6 is masterful. Everything the game build up came to this and it paid off so well. The Indians' story arc is devastating to me, I really felt Rain Falls' struggle and it's so heartbreaking all the way through because you know this won't end well. It's also very painful seeing Arthur's tuberculosis at it's peak. It is RDR2 at it's absolute peak.
    ! - The soundtrack is sooo good! Excited to listen to the official release that is coming soon.
    ! - I haven't finished them all, but the Stranger missions I've seen are pretty great. The guy taking wildlife pictures and the guy writing about gunslingers are my favorite long running arcs. The one-off missions are fun too, like the one where you teach the widow from the city to survive in the wild, or helpin Beau and Penelope's great escape.
    ! - I saw a dead body hanging on a bridge near Valentine with creepy serial killer-esque signs near. I also stumbled into a creepy ruined house that might be a former witchcraft site. Point is, I think this game has cool secrets to find.
    ! - Customizing my weapons is pretty neat.
    ! - This game feels cinematic af and I love it. The cinematography in the cutscenes can be quite wonderful. Chapter 6's ending came to mind.

Things I don't like or feel mixed about:

- The shooting sections can certainly be cut down a notch or two. Many of the shootouts are either unnecessary or contain way too many enemies to kill (mostly the latter). I still enjoy them all the same, but it just really messes with the grounded tone of the story. Nearly all of my problems with the game's story had something to do with a shootout section.
    ! - Getting lost in Guarma is a nice surprise, sure, but it just feels like length-padding for me personally. They could have merged Chapter 4 and 5 into one, cut some missions, and it definitely wouldn't drag as much.
    ! - I like how this game controls overall. Using L2 to lock into an object so you can interact with it reminds me a lot of Shenmue and that's a wonderful thing. Shooting feels better after I tweak it a bit. It takes a bit of getting used to it all, which is quite annoying, I admit.
    ! - I do wish the game would fucking stop switching out my guns I specifically chose during a mission for something else. I had my shotguns switched out too many times with rifles (which I also had 100% of the time with me) and that's exactly why I never ran out of shotgun ammo.
    ! - After playing as Arthur for 6 chapters, it's quite hard to play the two-part epilogue for some reason. John is not nearly as engaging or interesting of an character for me. Uncle's annoying attitude also helps that. Not really a problem with the game, just a personal problem of mine I guess. I am glad they added it, I think it showed John's efforts to be a better person pretty well.

Ranking of chapters (because why not):

VI > III > I > II > Epilogue Part II > IV > Epilogue Part I > V

They could have done a few things a bit smoother or with more carefulness but it's overall it's quite mindblowing what they achieved here. I think it's better than RDR1, which is also a great game. Best Rockstar game for me. Can't wait to see what's next for the series. 9.5/10

• PC version next month.

• Its about damn time PC version is coming.

• I was shocked when I saw it. I was thinking at least one more year before it's coming. Really good news.

• Now PC users can also know how it feels to need more money.

• Finally I'll be able to shoot. Rockstar's controller aiming is so trashy, I felt forced to use Soft Lock Auto Aim, which is why I sold it after like four hours. I probably still won't buy it for a while, because the character's handling left a lot to be desired. Don't know why Rockstar thinks making the character so unresponsive and sluggish is realistic. I'm WAY more agile than that elephant.

• Ride a horse 8 hours a day, eat nothing but roadkill, beans, whiskey and cigarettes. Sleep on the ground. Maybe get an STD or two. We'll see how agile you are. lol

• @tokyoslim said in Red Dead Redemption 2 (PS4/XBO/PC):

Ride a horse 8 hours a day, eat nothing but roadkill, beans, whiskey and cigarettes. Sleep on the ground. Maybe get an STD or two. We'll see how agile you are. lol

Well, it feels awful. I wish Red Dead Impairment played more like this:

Youtube Video

• @ezekiel

Rockstar's controller aiming is so trashy

I agree, I didn't play RDR2 on console but I can guess it from my experience with GTA V on console. Unplayable without ''aim help'' which is a thing I really hate.

That was the main reason for I wanted it to come PC.